• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Heavy armour is the easy route to take. Any old fool can wade into the thick of combat with an armoured, tank-like skin and not take too much damage obviously. Light Armour however, demands a different approach. Forget the stealth benefit for a moment and think in terms of where you're struggling, combat. Now with light armour you have a distinct advantage, speed and stamina. However, these advantages are rendered useless if you do not know how to utilise them. Your rogue character is primarily an offensive character as you've elected to dual wield. So you inflict mass damage but it comes at a cost, defence. Since you don't even have the ability to block you've made things harder for yourself than you need to. No shield, no blocking with your weapon and no thick armour to absorb damage. This is simply the build you've chosen. If you tweaked it just a little by using one weapon instead of two then you would gain the ability to block. The best perk in the tree is quick reflexes, which will enable you to avoid a power attack altogether. Perhaps adopt this tactic only if discovered and your initial duel wielding barrage fails to drop your foe. Rest assured as you progress through the light armour tree you'll be able to shrug off blows by even the strongest enemies and by this time no doubt your duel savagery will be lethal, you won't need to dodge/block. Good luck! :)

There's always one line in skyrim that sometimes make me wanna change from assassin.

It's a line in the companions.

"Face problems head on, leave the sneaking and whispers to the gutter rats who can't fight for themselves."
- Kodlak Whitemane

It's hard to deny that because we can't fight, we have to slit their throat from behind.
FAH! I say we can do both! Besides Kodlack - you're dead now so who cares what you have to say.

Daelon DuLac

Head on is dumb. Fighting smart doesn't mean you can't fight.
But I wouldn't call head on "dumb", just another tactic, after all, you're not really fighting if you don't have an opponent. If there is no opportunity to either defend themselves or even be aware that you are about to kill them then you aren't really fighting them, you're just victimizing them.

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
Head on is dumb. Fighting smart doesn't mean you can't fight.
But I wouldn't call head on "dumb", just another tactic, after all, you're not really fighting if you don't have an opponent. If there is no opportunity to either defend themselves or even be aware that you are about to kill them then you aren't really fighting them, you're just victimizing them.

Dunno it's just the feeling of slowly walking toward an opponent while their attacks do no damage knowing you are an unstoppable force.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Watch this guys youtube videos, he knows all about killing swiftly.
A Rogue is not an Assassin. A Rogue is a hybrid build of Thief and Warrior. Mercer Frey is an example of a Rogue.

It's easy to reconcile joining the Dark Brotherhood as a Rogue though. Aside from the fact that they're affiliated in Skyrim, it's necessary to infiltrate the Dark Brotherhood to retrieve one of the Stones of Barenziah. While one could go the route of wiping the Dark Brotherhood out, that isn't very lore friendly given the relationship between the two guilds. It's the same reason I can justify joining the College of Winterhold to retrieve the Stone of Barenziah there. Once my Rogue got the Stones she never returned to either faction. Mission accomplished as far as she was concerned.
A dark brotherhood and savior of skyrim doesnt add up.
Because....? One can create a backstory for any faction leader that could justify their role as the Dragonborn. The reluctant anti-hero is a popular theme in literature. Stopping Alduin isn't about just saving Skyrim, it's about saving all of Tamriel, and even the most self absorbed selfish bastard on Nirn doesn't have to be an Imperial Sage to figure out that if he or she is the only one in a position to stop that then it's time to step up to the plate, if for no other reason than that there's still a world where he or she can continue to be a self absorbed selfish bastard.

Daelon DuLac

Because....? One can create a backstory for any faction leader that could justify their role as the Dragonborn. The reluctant anti-hero is a popular theme in literature. Stopping Alduin isn't about just saving Skyrim, it's about saving all of Tamriel, and even the most self absorbed selfish bastard on Nirn doesn't have to be an Imperial Sage to figure out that if he or she is the only one in a position to stop that then it's time to step up to the plate, if for no other reason than that there's still a world where he or she can continue to be a self absorbed selfish bastard.
Good point and very well said. At the moment though, I'm playing a truly homicidally evil mage and I'm going to try to skip most of the main questlines as, without a doubt, he could give a flyin' fig about Tamriel, Skyrim or anybody who lives there. As a matter of fact - given his foibles, he would probably help Alduin destroy the world, even if it took him with it.

snapzit

It seems like the OP is simply at an early stage of the game with the character and is unfamiliar with using light armor. I have a Bosmer right now who is a terrific archer and sneak, but is also vulnerable to attack.

Run out and get a follower, if for nothing else but a distraction for your enemies. My character was awful in the beginning, very weak and mushy, but now that he's at level 32 with high sneak, archery, enchanting, smithing, and alchemy, he can take on just about any enemy (if he's smart about it) and clear the area without the follower even engaging. He just joined the Thieves Guild and uses their light armor because I like the look of it. He was in improved/enchanted Gilded Elven before he joined the Guild.

Patience and practice, my friend.

Daelon DuLac

It seems like the OP is simply at an early stage of the game with the character and is unfamiliar with using light armor. I have a Bosmer right now who is a terrific archer and sneak, but is also vulnerable to attack.

Run out and get a follower, if for nothing else but a distraction for your enemies. My character was awful in the beginning, very weak and mushy, but now that he's at level 32 with high sneak, archery, enchanting, smithing, and alchemy, he can take on just about any enemy (if he's smart about it) and clear the area without the follower even engaging. He just joined the Thieves Guild and uses their light armor because I like the look of it. He was in improved/enchanted Gilded Elven before he joined the Guild.

Patience and practice, my friend.
I've a mage who wears only robes at the moment and he's doing fine. Practice, practice and be very, very, very, very, very, very, very.... careful! Oh, and hit 'em before they hit you too!

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I have two characters.

The first is a Paladin-like character. Level 13. Heavy armour (skill: 47), shield, Block (38), and a sword (52)

The other is a rogue-like character. Level 16. Light armour (57), archery (42), two daggers (39), and sneak (47). I use the Dark Brotherhood armour.

The trouble I'm having is surviving with the rogue. I try to open with my bow as much as possible, use poisons/potions with my weapons, etc. But as soon as anything gets into melee with me, I die in just a few hits. Mots things seem to hit my rogue for at least 25% of my health. And out in the wilderness when creatures sometimes surprise me (big cats and bears for example), they tend to make very quick work of me.

On the other hand my Paladin can fight the same enemies with ease (without losing much health at all).

What advantages does the light armour user have over the heavy? It seems, sneaking excepted, that my Paladin can do anything my rogue can do only much easier. I recently fought the dragon south of Winterhold on both characters. With 3 or 4 attempts on my rogue I could not kill the dragon. With my Paladin, the dragon was overly simple, and easily killed on my first attempt.

Note that I'm playing on the same difficulty level with both characters.

I like the rogue as a concept, but the survivability is SO bad its hard not to justify playing a heavy-armoured type.
This is why i don't use light armor, sure with enough dedication u can hone it to decent levels but fuk it takes sooooooooo LONG! Much better to just use a heavy set and be done with it, plus it doesn't actually slow u down, no kidding thats just a myth.

Daelon DuLac

I have two characters.

The first is a Paladin-like character. Level 13. Heavy armour (skill: 47), shield, Block (38), and a sword (52)

The other is a rogue-like character. Level 16. Light armour (57), archery (42), two daggers (39), and sneak (47). I use the Dark Brotherhood armour.

The trouble I'm having is surviving with the rogue. I try to open with my bow as much as possible, use poisons/potions with my weapons, etc. But as soon as anything gets into melee with me, I die in just a few hits. Mots things seem to hit my rogue for at least 25% of my health. And out in the wilderness when creatures sometimes surprise me (big cats and bears for example), they tend to make very quick work of me.

On the other hand my Paladin can fight the same enemies with ease (without losing much health at all).

What advantages does the light armour user have over the heavy? It seems, sneaking excepted, that my Paladin can do anything my rogue can do only much easier. I recently fought the dragon south of Winterhold on both characters. With 3 or 4 attempts on my rogue I could not kill the dragon. With my Paladin, the dragon was overly simple, and easily killed on my first attempt.

I like the rogue as a concept, but the survivability is SO bad its hard not to justify playing a heavy-armoured type.
This is why i don't use light armor, sure with enough dedication u can hone it to decent levels but fuk it takes sooooooooo LONG! Much better to just use a heavy set and be done with it, plus it doesn't actually slow u down, no kidding thats just a myth.
Again, depends on your playstyle. I've played Heavy, Light and non at all (mage). They all have their advantages: Heavy - well... it takes more to kill you and you an pretty much tank all you want; Light - you're more maneauverable, you look cleaner, you can carry more stuff and you use less stamina; None - well, there's just a lot of cool outfits in Skyrim. They all have disadvantages: Heavy - you can carry less (until you get the weightless perk of course), it's bulky and it makes it harder to sneak; Light - less protection, most of it is just too "pretty" (elven & glass) or you look like a total savage (of course, you could like that); None - well that's obvious, there's no armor protection! Of course you can run away a lot faster.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I have two characters.

Again, depends on your playstyle. I've played Heavy, Light and non at all (mage). They all have their advantages: Heavy - well... it takes more to kill you and you an pretty much tank all you want; Light - you're more maneauverable, you look cleaner, you can carry more stuff and you use less stamina; None - well, there's just a lot of cool outfits in Skyrim. They all have disadvantages: Heavy - you can carry less (until you get the weightless perk of course), it's bulky and it makes it harder to sneak; Light - less protection, most of it is just too "pretty" (elven & glass) or you look like a total savage (of course, you could like that); None - well that's obvious, there's no armor protection! Of course you can run away a lot faster.
Well, i never touch the sneak skill when i play cuz impo its just way too op'ed and takes half the challenge out the game, u can literally be right in someones face at high levels with it and them still not see u, thats just silly. And heavy armor may weigh more but i use a nice fortify carry weight enchantment with a grand soul gem that helps a lot with that issue untill i get the weightless perk which doesn't take that long to achieve, u can even grind to get that perk in just a few hours. Also i think heavy armor looks way cooler than light, just my opinion but if i was inclined to go with light i'd just go robes cuz they look awesome, but there a nightmare to survive in. lol

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
A Rogue is not an Assassin. A Rogue is a hybrid build of Thief and Warrior. Mercer Frey is an example of a Rogue.

It's easy to reconcile joining the Dark Brotherhood as a Rogue though. Aside from the fact that they're affiliated in Skyrim, it's necessary to infiltrate the Dark Brotherhood to retrieve one of the Stones of Barenziah. While one could go the route of wiping the Dark Brotherhood out, that isn't very lore friendly given the relationship between the two guilds. It's the same reason I can justify joining the College of Winterhold to retrieve the Stone of Barenziah there. Once my Rogue go the Stones she never returned to either faction. Mission accomplished as far as she was concerned.

Ah cool, always wondered what i was, i don't kill innocent people for money i just do quests and kill swiftly, my step dad just calls me a murderer.

Vaga8ond

In the early stages rogue like characters are very difficult to pull off. Daggers are particularly weak in combat and requires close attacking without blocking. I suggest using a lot of power attacks. Alteration (skin armors) and/or restoration may be a good idea as well for added defense.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Heavy armour is the easy route to take. Any old fool can wade into the thick of combat with an armoured, tank-like skin and not take too much damage obviously. Light Armour however, demands a different approach. Forget the stealth benefit for a moment and think in terms of where you're struggling, combat. Now with light armour you have a distinct advantage, speed and stamina. However, these advantages are rendered useless if you do not know how to utilise them. Your rogue character is primarily an offensive character as you've elected to dual wield. So you inflict mass damage but it comes at a cost, defence. Since you don't even have the ability to block you've made things harder for yourself than you need to. No shield, no blocking with your weapon and no thick armour to absorb damage. This is simply the build you've chosen. If you tweaked it just a little by using one weapon instead of two then you would gain the ability to block. The best perk in the tree is quick reflexes, which will enable you to avoid a power attack altogether. Perhaps adopt this tactic only if discovered and your initial duel wielding barrage fails to drop your foe. Rest assured as you progress through the light armour tree you'll be able to shrug off blows by even the strongest enemies and by this time no doubt your duel savagery will be lethal, you won't need to dodge/block. Good luck! :)

There's always one line in skyrim that sometimes make me wanna change from assassin.

"Face problems head on, leave the sneaking and whispers to the gutter rats who can't fight for themselves."
- Kodlak Whitemane

It's hard to deny that because we can't fight, we have to slit their throat from behind.
Yep, thats another reason i don't use sneak, same with archers it just seems cowardly.

Daelon DuLac

- Kodlak Whitemane

Yep, thats another reason i don't use sneak, same with archers it just seems cowardly.
OK, then I'm a coward. I just don't wanna die! WAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

- Kodlak Whitemane

Of course the same could be said for mages but at least they fight head on.

Daelon DuLac

Really? On my new mage, all I do is blast everything in the face with destruction magic. Well, actually, I get their attention and blast them as they approach me. It's tons of fun.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Really? On my new mage, all I do is blast everything in the face with destruction magic. Well, actually, I get their attention and blast them as they approach me. It's tons of fun.
Yep, same here, even tho your using spells your still fighting head on. One of my favorite combinations with a destruction mage is paralyze in 1 hand and fireball in the other, just the guilty pleasure of knowing that your enemy is totally aware of whats happening but can't move an inch to do anything about it. lmao!!

Daelon DuLac

Yep, same here, even tho your using spells your still fighting head on. One of my favorite combinations with a destruction mage is paralyze in 1 hand and fireball in the other, just the guilty pleasure of knowing that your enemy is totally aware of whats happening but can't move an inch to do anything about it. lmao!!
Not nearly that level. I'm still at the flames, firebolt, sparks, lighting, frost stage. Hey, I'm only level 6, but I have killed at least a couple dozen people on my trip up to Riften (headed for Winterhold), including those stupid wedding guests.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Not nearly that level. I'm still at the flames, firebolt, sparks, lighting, frost stage. Hey, I'm only level 6, but I have killed at least a couple dozen people on my trip up to Riften (headed for Winterhold), including those stupid wedding guests.
You'll get there bro, be patient. I've found that the early stages of mage building is actually the most exciting, later on is when it gets rather boring cuz u start leveling so slowly. Do u have the impact perk yet?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts