• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KayO199X

Because Skyrim added both children and the abitity to get married, i thought it would be really fun if they combined these two things and gave the player the ability to have children of their own. Here's the way i think it could be implimented to give Bethesda the most minimal amount of work possible. This would be great part of a DLC.

Spouse Compatibility- In order have a child, you need to marry a person of the opposite gender, and of a compatable race. I already know that there are canidates of both genders for all 10 races. I didn't read much lore, but i'm pretty sure the 4 races of humans can have children with each other. I'm not sure about the 3 races of elves, though. Obviously, Argonians can only have children with other Argonians, as is the case with the Kajiits and Orcs.

Having a child- Once you are married, you can ask your spouse to "Come to bed with you". When you are both in bed, the screen goes black and you hear your spouse talking about how wonderful you are. When you are done, your spouse will annouce a pregnancy (wives say "Great news, I am with child!", husbands say "Wow! I'm going to be a father!"). Letters then appear on the black screen that say "years later" and you then recive a cut scene of your child helping you get out of bed. Despite the fact that years have passed, the world is unchanged.

Child Appearance- Children in this game are what we call "Patchwork Kids". Their faces are all the same, but their skin and hair color will change to match your character. Their hairstyle and clothing color is randomly generated. Elf and Orc children look the same as human children, with the addition of pointy ears or sharp teeth respectivly. Kajiit and Argonian children have the normal child bodies, but they have tails and different heads. Because of their non human appearance, i'm sure you could get away with a shrunken adult Kajiit or Argonian headfor their children. Children of all races have the same voices.

Number of Children- The number of children possible depends on the number of beds in your house. If you want to have more children, move your family to a bigger house.

Child abilities- Your children will give you a gift once a day. These gifts range from a simple poem, a drawing of you, or other small cute things. Gifts from your children are acctually important items. Whenever your characters uses an item, they are remineded of their child and recive a powerfull buff, just like a potion. The different gifts your children give you all have different effects. Once you use a child's gift, it will disappear.

Losing a Child- If your spouce dies, you will recive a message saying that your children have been sent to live with their grandparents, as you are not around enough to take care of them yourself. If (god forbid) you ever hit your child, he/she will run away crying and a guard will arrest you for child abuse. You will then lose custody of all your children due to your abusive nature (shame on you). Even if you lose custody of your children, you can still have more children later.

Like i said. This is the way to impliment family life into skyrim with the most minimal amount of effort possible. If you can think of a way to improve this system, please tell me at once. I am also open to your opinions and criticisms.

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
I love how this is your first post. Absolute quality! I'm all for the little things in TES games. Obviously this would be quite big, but at the same time, remotely within their already available parameters. I could see this being a user generated DLC even! I think it would be nice to have the option to have a family waiting for me in my house, instead of some creepy stranger milling about my living room, and my creepy "protector" upstairs standing up, and sitting down. And standing up. And sitting down... and so on. Haha.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
This is actually a pretty good idea - was it influenced partly from Fable? The process in Fable is similar to what you've explained.

Yeah, Deadhand is right, very nice first post. :)

KayO199X

Yes, i was thinking about Fable II and III when i posted this. Raising a family was one of my favorite parts of those games, and if this same feature was added to an Elder Scroll game, it would be the perfect combination for me.

KayO199X

I've made some edits to my initial post. Instead of six years passing, the message simply says "years later" to keep the time change vague. I also add info about Orc children, which i forgot to mention.

Flamingtaco

That sounds great. The only real problem is the years passing. Its hard to make up an excuse for how the workd stays exactly the same and not lose quests. They could make more orphanages like in riften and let you adopt children from their.

KayO199X

That sounds great. The only real problem is the years passing. Its hard to make up an excuse for how the workd stays exactly the same and not lose quests. They could make more orphanages like in riften and let you adopt children from their.
The reason why I suggested the years later thing, is so that Bethesda would not have to go through the extended process of creating babies. A work around could have babies stay inside a crib where you can't see them (like in Fable II), that way the time skip is only 9 months.

I also support the idea of adopting the children from the Riften orphanage, but the player should also be able to have biological children.

SkyrimKing

Great idea i must say it was like my idea but 10 times better. Like Renegader i do think it is a bit influenced from fable 3 especially.I love games were you can raise a family! But overall i do think this should be a DLC

Naked~Frog

First off, you are wrong. You cannot "know" that there are people of both genders of all ten races available for marriage because there are not. You can marry either gender of eight races. The Wood Elves and Khajiit are not available for the bonds of matrimony because they do not believe in the Nine Devines and therefore not in Mara, who's temple the marriage would be held in.

Secondly, almost all of the things you want to have happen come from Fable, as pointed out by other people. The only things that didn't were the "if your spouse dies" things, but your spouse cannot die without you there so that is irrelevant. You do not have to tell them how to do things like they were in Fable, because the makers of Skyrim are the ones who made Fable. They already figured out everything you just said.

I understand a lot of people were complementing your first post, but that's just because it is long and looks well thought out. I recommend that next time you actually look up your facts and what is that you're suggesting before posting.

Sorry to be rude, but really, it's just stupid to tell people to put things from one of the games that they made into another game that the also made, and try to pass it off as your own idea.

In fact, they are probably working on another Fable right now with even more settings for the children, that you haven't even thought of. If this is the case, then they have surpassed you all the farther. The reason no children are in Skyrim is because, unlike Fable, it is not all cute and cartoony. They undoubtedly felt like it may hinder the gameplay or not be worth putting in since the majority of people who play dungeons and dragons genre games are not interested in virtual relationships and having children.

Flamingtaco

There are not people of both genders and all ten races available for marriage. There are no Wood Elves or Cat People because they dont believe in the nine devines.
Have you tried any khajiit from the caravans for marriage? And there is a lack of many wood elves. The only two I was able to distinguish were part of thieves guild and main quest and they looked exactly the same. I havent seen anyfemales that I know of.

Naked~Frog

There are sites that list all of the people available for marriage and none are cats. It's not a matter of not finding them, it's a matter of them not being there. :p

Tacocat

It's a very neat idea, but like someone mentioned before, there would be interspecial problems (how in heaven's name would a Khajiit/nord baby look like?!), and the new feature of Skyrim: homosexual relationships wanting children too.

I suppose they can add an adoption system for interspecial/homosexual couples, but then it would get pretty complicated.

Flamingtaco

Its probably better that they focused on other more important gameplay aspects rather than a marriage simulator, but its still dissapointing how shallow it is.

Kerzechtus

Power Gamer
Who needs to hire mercenaries when you can breed your own Fighting Force? lol.

J747L

You do not have to tell them how to do things like they were in Fable, because the makers of Skyrim are the ones who made Fable.

Can someone explain this to me in detail? Are you saying Developers Bethesda Game Studios and Lionhead Studios are one and the same? Or they share a team? Was Peter Molyneux involved with Skyrim?

The vice president of Bethesda admittedly said they were implementing the marriage concept which everyone knew came from Peter's fable. The OP was just thinking along the lines of Bethesda themselves.

Someone passing something off as their own idea? I mean, second post and someone already brought out fable. No one will get away with it these days.

Tiber Septim

I think it would be more fun if it were like the Chao's from Sonic Adventure...you get really hilarious and wierd looking kids when mixing races (instead of animals) like Argonians and Kajiit...Furry Penguin?

Panthera

Don Gato
Awsome idea! Although as khajiit player no khajiits are avalible for marrige -.-. Btw orcs and imperial are compatible. In oblivion the grey prince was half orc and half imperial vampire. Plus in skyrim you can learn that altmers, dunmers, bosmer, orcs and falmers are from the same branch. So probably they would be comaptible with each other. And considering from oblivion mixture of orcs and imperial, there would be probably able to mix elf branch with human branch. Only beast branch wouldn't be able to mix. But I doubt they would add mixing blood having children becouse that would needed to include making new races.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts