Skyrims realism, or your thoughts on it and the overpowerness.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Well, I have been thinking alot the past few days about skyrims realism and it's overpowerness, to actually come to think over differences in Movies,Books,Other games ect.

Ive seen and heard (As well as myself) people worrying over how overpowered something can be, or how unrealistic something is.

Perhaps this can help people come to terms with the overpowered mechanics in skyrim.

Take a look at most medieval movies and book, Magic, do people get hit by fireballs, to then turn and run or still slash at you with a sword, no, they instantly die (Just like...sometimes in skyrim)

And thats what exactly magic is suppose to do, instantly destroy people unless they are protected by magic.

And what about bows, Im pretty sure if you were shot in the arm you wouldnt die, perhaps the loss of blood will send you to the void, but only over time, Thats what annoys me most with skyrim, seeing your first and only arrow through someones arm.
And armor, that acts like skin, a simple iron sword would re-bound off, but it doesnt, it slashes the Skinarmor.

Does anyone think games are overly rushed, no time or thought is put into them, skyrim is great but with things like this, it would be even better, as many other games alike.

I wouldnt mind seeing a future game such like this.

Rextoret

top kek
Wonderful post, Wolve. I don't want to disprove anything you said, but making takes a long time and a huge amount of effort. It took 90 people 3.5+ years to create Skyrim. (As well as 83 voice actors.) The overall budget for the game was $85 million. That's 90 people who have spent their lives learning to make games, taking around 4 years of their lives to make one game- Skyrim.

Even though they had so many people working on the game for such a long time, details like realistic armor deflection are easy to miss. Easy to miss, or they simply didn't have the time for it. Every single thing about Skyrim had to be programmed. From the way the battle against Alduin plays out, to the way you go through a menu, all has to be programmed. And then designers come through and use the engine to place things like rocks all over the world.

100% of Skyrim's game space was hand-made. Every flower and tree was put there. From the docks of Solitude to the walls of Riften. When every single thing has to be done, like what this guy says to you or what you can say to him, it's easy to overlook details like the ones you mentioned.

All in all, be thankful that Bethesda has given us this magnificent game to play. Instead of looking at absent tiny details like armor deflection, look at everything Skyrim does have, and appreciate that.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
I appreciate everything about skyrim, especially all the other games made by bethesda, I know the times and hard work put into them, but it would be nice to see a future game like this. Overlooked minor detail can make a game even more. Im not moaning or anything. I say, instead of making games from there own minds, a game will be made better with the imagination of the people who are going to play them.

Rextoret

top kek
Getting the opinions of millions of people is rather difficult. Not to mention if they were to take everyone's wishes into account, they would have many conflicting cases. Not to mention the production of the game would take decades.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Perhaps a poll of various ideas, sometimes you see people on skyrim forums wanting the same thing in game which isnt there. A certain amount of serious gamers that test it. Even people paying to have there idea (If it's worthy) put in game.

Rextoret

top kek
Even with a completely neat and organized poll of everyone's idea, it would be a very difficult task to implement them in-game. (Not to mention keeping with lore.) In my opinion, it's sometimes best to leave the important tasks to those with the skills to do them.

Thank you for the discussion, Rextoret out.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
This is often why PC users use mods.

Problem solved!

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Exactly, Even though I dont use pc, I agree with that, with such little time, someone makes something better than what is in game.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I know I'm wandering off topic here unless you compare this to mods that fix bugs, glitches and Unofficial Patches.

For years I had to endure Warcraft on the lowest video settings in the game on this 4 year old HP computer. I got a killer deal online for a new video card and power supply that allowed me to experience Pandaria on Ultra settings and I shed a tear!

...not bad for an old man learning trial & error!

I was a die hard Morrowind player, and dabbled in Oblivion, all on a turd of a laptop.

When I rode to Helgen after all of this, on high settings, I knew I'd come home.

Since then, the mods I've collected that make my landscapes look like some god's masterpiece, or buildings, dungeons, lairs and rooms feel like full immersion, I couldn't imagine playing without them.

After nearly 10 years playing on video-impaired gear due to budgetary restraints / priorities, etc, I kinda feel entitled, LOL!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I like Skyrim but I don't think you can liken reality to a game, if Fireballs 1 hit killed everyone the game would be boring just the same as if you smith a weapon of 2000 damage, however saying that I think destruction needs a lot of tweaking, it's seriously underpowered especially in comparison to its massively high magicka cost, i'm thinking of spells like incinerate.
This could easily be solved by scaling the damage per level just like all other combat skills.
This is my biggest problem with skyrim, although it's fixed somewhat by the new ignite spell. I think a lot of skyrim is excellent, I just wished they hadn't removed things, spell creation was a big thing to remove and a stupid mistake. Why no spears? why not different bows? like shortbows(less damage and range but faster fire rate) as well as longbows, why no enchanted arrows?

Adam Belmont

I like Skyrim but I don't think you can liken reality to a game, if Fireballs 1 hit killed everyone the game would be boring just the same as if you smith a weapon of 2000 damage, however saying that I think destruction needs a lot of tweaking, it's seriously underpowered especially in comparison to its massively high magicka cost, i'm thinking of spells like incinerate.
This could easily be solved by scaling the damage per level just like all other combat skills.
This is my biggest problem with skyrim, although it's fixed somewhat by the new ignite spell. I think a lot of skyrim is excellent, I just wished they hadn't removed things, spell creation was a big thing to remove and a stupid mistake. Why no spears? why not different bows? like shortbows(less damage and range but faster fire rate) as well as longbows, why no enchanted arrows?
That's something I could agree. You can't one hit kill a Dragon with incinerate for example, but you can do it with a bow if you use some exploits that I can't even explain because I've never used. I'm not saying they could insert exploits for magic, but I think spell creation would be the salvation for mages in Skyrim. Actualy I'm not playing with my mage because it got boring, there's nothing else to do besides Thunderbolt or incinerate an enemy, conjuring some puppets, defending magic with wards, it just got boring. I'm playing with a warrior (warriors used to be boring) and I'm having a lot of fun slashing and getting the coolest cam kills of the game and feeling more suitable in the history of the game. It seems Skyrim was made for warrior class (or maybe battlemages has an even more in-depth experience).
Maybe my post was a little off topic, but realism is not something we could ask from a fantasy game (at least not a radical realism)

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
That's something I could agree. You can't one hit kill a Dragon with incinerate for example, but you can do it with a bow if you use some exploits that I can't even explain because I've never used. I'm not saying they could insert exploits for magic, but I think spell creation would be the salvation for mages in Skyrim. Actualy I'm not playing with my mage because it got boring, there's nothing else to do besides Thunderbolt or incinerate an enemy, conjuring some puppets, defending magic with wards, it just got boring. I'm playing with a warrior (warriors used to be boring) and I'm having a lot of fun slashing and getting the coolest cam kills of the game and feeling more suitable in the history of the game. It seems Skyrim was made for warrior class (or maybe battlemages has an even more in-depth experience).
Maybe my post was a little off topic, but realism is not something we could ask from a fantasy game (at least not a radical realism)
It's actually ridiculously in favour of the warrior skills.
With 1 handed for example your damage increases every time your 1 handed skill increases, magic doesn't get this. with perks you can increase weapon damage by 100%, magic only gets 50%, 1 handed can be used with 0 stamina, spells can't. There is a fortify 1 handed damage enchantment, there is none for magic damage(only reduce cost) with 100 enchant and no other items you can make 4 40% damage increase items, thats 160% more damage, magic doesn't get this.
There are 3 items in the game that increase destruction damage each is a dragon priest mask in dragonborn which increases 1 elements damage by 25% and increases resistance to it by 50%.
So altogether magic gets a 75% damage increase, 1 handed gets 260% + it increases damage with every level.
Even if you use the increase damage masks, they are classed as armour making all the mage armour perks useless..

Some people say to just decrease the cost for destruction so you get free 0 magicka spellcasting, but you shouldn't have to exploit just to come close to other combat skills.
with over 500 magicka I can't even dual cast an incinerate..

Dust651

Wizard
Only thing I don't like in Skyrim is when you try to shoot a bandit while being completely undetected and the bandit dodges the arrow. That's unrealistic.

kyleekay

Take a look at most medieval movies and book, Magic, do people get hit by fireballs, to then turn and run or still slash at you with a sword, no, they instantly die (Just like...sometimes in skyrim)

And thats what exactly magic is suppose to do, instantly destroy people unless they are protected by magic.

It would be incredibly boring to one-shot your enemies with magic. The strategic part of being a Mage (or a Mage combination) would be completely removed from the game, because you wouldn't need to worry about "okay, what's my next move?". I'm sure Bethesda probably considered making magic super powerful, but ultimately decided against it due to the negative effect it'd have on game-play.

And what about bows, Im pretty sure if you were shot in the arm you wouldnt die, perhaps the loss of blood will send you to the void, but only over time, Thats what annoys me most with skyrim, seeing your first and only arrow through someones arm.

This is an issue that isn't specific to Skyrim. In pretty much any game I've played, it doesn't matter where you hit the person, it usually still does the same amount of damage. I'm not a developer by any means, but I'd imagine it would be VERY hard to make that aspect super realistic. Plus, I'm already bad at archery as it is... I can't imagine how difficult it would be if I actually had to hit my enemy in the chest or head. :p

Does anyone think games are overly rushed, no time or thought is put into them, skyrim is great but with things like this, it would be even better, as many other games alike.

I wouldnt mind seeing a future game such like this.

As the first person who responded to this thread mentioned, it's easy to nitpick the little things that aren't included, but it's much more enjoyable to appreciate everything that is. Skyrim is a beautiful game with astonishing detail, and I don't think it was rushed by any means. Plus, a lot of the things you'd like to see (as I mentioned) would make actually playing the game very, very difficult for newer/less experienced players. You do always have the option of playing on PC, though. :) Cheers!

Only thing I don't like in Skyrim is when you try to shoot a bandit while being completely undetected and the bandit dodges the arrow. That's unrealistic.

Maybe you just need to aim better, eh? ;) :p Just teasing.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
If swords rebounded off armor and a regular basis then everyone would wear it. You also failed to mention the most overlooked aspect of armor in Skyrim which is the ability to swim from Winterhold to Solitude in 100+ pounds of steel. I do agree magic is severely out matched in the game. Especially when a two-handed warrior build can pick up any staff in the game and use it like a pro, albeit not as often.

Are you talking about the sudden jolt to the side at the very last minute? (I thought that only happened to me.)

Andre2807

Throwing daggers, enchanted arrows and the ability to counter power blows would be cool. All Destruction Magic Schools should have damage increase perks like One Handed, Two Handed and Archery.

Nighthiker77

I thought it was pretty funny the first time I 1-shotted a guy in the knee. Now I just call it arterial bleed. The UFC games have awesome damage mechanics, but it would be way overkill in skyrim. A head shot bonus would be nice though, and I'd love to be able to kick in brawls.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
For one, magic duels would be amazing (there is a mod) When I talk about destructive magic should one shot kill, I mean non magic users, to be able to deflect the magic back at it's user, or pick up there fire bolt in mid air and sling it back.

Now, the thing with bow and arrows, it can work and has worked before, Fallout, Crippled body parts. Limping, ect.
I say more animated features would be good.

Whats very annoying is going to attack someone, as soon as you reach them they go into animation and kill you, there should be ways to counteract them, side step or somethinng.

I just shot an arrow at a bandit the other day undetected he moved to the side, very annoying.

Skyrim is good, it still is, it's perfect, but it could do with abit more.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...So altogether magic gets a 75% damage increase, 1 handed gets 260% + it increases damage with every level.
3 Destruction perks give a 330% damage bonus.
...Some people say to just decrease the cost for destruction so you get free 0 magicka spellcasting, but you shouldn't have to exploit just to come close to other combat skills...
It's not an exploit. It's undeniably an intended game mechanic. Saying it's an exploit is no different and no less false than saying wearing any other item with a Peerless Skill enchantment on it is an exploit. You can craft the enchanted gear simply by having 100 Enchanting skill and 6 Enchanting perks. Further you can find items enchanted with Peerlees Destruction (25%) so you don't even need an Enchanting build. If you don't want to use it that's your prerogative but it's clearly an intended option for a mage build and mischaracterizing it as an exploit to support an argument that magic is underpowered simply incorrect.

The game was clearly rushed in its development because of the commitment to a 11-11-11 release date. Ashley Cheng said they were still adding and changing things shortly before the release but things like how magic works in the game, how there is no location based damage and how the physics engine doesn't differentiate melee weapon impact based on armor were all intentional parts of the game mechanics and not the result of any rushed development.

Magic is definitely underpowered compared to Oblivion with no spell customization but it's by no means underpowered in terms of being able to handle the game at any difficulty level setting. While you can get higher DPS from weapons, IMO it's immensely unsatisfying and boring to do that with weapons. If anything it's more that weapons are overpowered than that magic is underpowered. I've arguably had one of my most entertaining playthroughs on a sword and shield Nord whose max damage with her Legendary Skyforge Steel Sword was less than 85 with 100 One Handed Skill 5 Armsmen Perks and no enchanted gear other than an Amulet of Talos and the Shield of Ysgramor when she finished the main quest line.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
3 Destruction perks give a 330% damage bonus.
It's not an exploit. It's undeniably an intended game mechanic. Saying it's an exploit is no different and no less false than saying wearing any other item with a Peerless Skill enchantment on it is an exploit. You can craft the enchanted gear simply by having 100 Enchanting skill and 6 Enchanting perks. Further you can find items enchanted with Peerlees Destruction (25%) so you don't even need an Enchanting build. If you don't want to use it that's your prerogative but it's clearly an intended option for a mage build and mischaracterizing it as an exploit to support an argument that magic is underpowered simply incorrect.

The game was clearly rushed in its development because of the commitment to a 11-11-11 release date. Ashley Cheng said they were still adding and changing things shortly before the release but things like how magic works in the game, how there is no location based damage and how the physics engine doesn't differentiate melee weapon impact based on armor were all intentional parts of the game mechanics and not the result of any rushed development.

Magic is definitely underpowered compared to Oblivion with no spell customization but it's by no means underpowered in terms of being able to handle the game at any difficulty level setting. While you can get higher DPS from weapons, IMO it's immensely unsatisfying and boring to do that with weapons. If anything it's more that weapons are overpowered than that magic is underpowered. I've arguably had one of my most entertaining playthroughs on a sword and shield Nord whose max damage with her Legendary Skyforge Steel Sword was less than 85 with 100 One Handed Skill 5 Armsmen Perks and no enchanted gear other than an Amulet of Talos and the Shield of Ysgramor when she finished the main quest line.

Which destruction perks?

We already know that we disagree on this, the smithing/alchemy/enchanting loop is in the game too so that's not an exploit?
I'm not saying that 100% cost reduction wasn't deliberately left in the game, glitches often are just to give you the option, but I'm saying that it shouldn't be necessary, the magicka bar is there for a reason.
Your sword does 85 damage similar to 1 incinerate spell, except with over 500 magicka I can't dual cast 1, at high level it might take 15 of these for a kill, whilst you can swing your sword all day without stamina for 85 damage a swing.
Even with 100% cost reduction the damage is pitiful at high level, far inferior to any other combat style.
Don't get me wrong, I like mages and I still play them, mainly due to the new ignite spell, more spells need to be like this, most spells have a ridiculously high magicka cost like incinerate/fireball, they make fire bolt still the most cost effective spell through the entire game. If spells were just efficient damage/magicka wise then that would go along way.
It says a lot when I'm stuck using only apprentice level spells at 85 destruction skill. All they had to do was make destruction damage increase with level.
If you really want to have fun, try destruction on master, it's an absolute joke. Again, yes it can be done but get to around level 30-40 even with 100% cost reduction, your spamming spells all day because they're so weak