Skyrims realism, or your thoughts on it and the overpowerness.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Pacify doesn't work on all opponents, and neither does paralyse, and neither does damage... You need bodies for necromancy, warriors don't require bodies... The only work around I know of is mods or exploits. If there is another work around, please do post it.
For someone who's avatar is a Thalmor, you haven't learned much from them. The solution is to play like a Mage, not a Tank, not an Archer, Not a Theif, but a Wizard.

Smarty

For someone who's avatar is a Thalmor, you haven't learned much from them. The solution is to play like a Mage, not a Tank, not an Archer, Not a Theif, but a Wizard.

My avatar is not a thalmor, it's miraak's robes. My game is heavily modded (including magic), and I play a spellsword. I don't see your point.

EDIT: typo

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
I will say that the Jack of All Trades build is extremely OP once you get all your skills up. Early game it is either very difficult and borderline impossible on master, or a very slow grind. The rewards are well worth it though. I can effectively fill the role of most builds. Magic is what makes it all possible (enchanting is invaluable).

My avator is not a thalmor, it's miraak's robes. My game is heavily modded (including magic), and I play a spellsword. I don't see your point.
I refered to the wrong poster, but the point still stands. Something doesn't work, use something else. A Wizard has more choices in his bag of tricks than any of the other Guardian archetypes. That's the "Workaround" for not being made of damage, don't depend on shear damage to with the fight alone. A Wizard is intelligent, while the sterotypical Warrior is a mindless brute. They can get away with it, because they're made of damage.

It's very simple, if you(All of you) can't outthink even the AI in this game, don't play a wizard. If you just want damage, that's all Smithing does.

Smarty

I will say that the Jack of All Trades build is extremely OP once you get all your skills up. Early game it is either very difficult and borderline impossible on master, or a very slow grind. The rewards are well worth it though. I can effectively fill the role of most builds. Magic is what makes it all possible (enchanting is invaluable).

My character started as spellsword before joining the dark brotherhood, now he is good all around. I couldn't agree more.

That's simple, get one out of the way, but save the easiest most powerful for later, when you have Destruction (For instance) enough to be effective, but before you level past it.

Staff member
That's simple, get one out of the way, but save the easiest most powerful for later, when you have Destruction (For instance) enough to be effective, but before you level past it.
You beat me to it. Usually I start as a one handed light armour type, or a necromancer, before branching out.

Smarty

I refered to the wrong poster, but the point still stands. Something doesn't work, use something else. A Wizard has more choices in his bag of tricks than any of the other Guardian archetypes. That's the "Workaround" for not being made of damage, don't depend on shear damage to with the fight alone. A Wizard is intelligent, while the sterotypical Warrior is a mindless brute. They can get away with it, because they're made of damage.

It's very simple, if you(All of you) can't outthink even the AI in this game, don't play a wizard. If you just want damage, that's all Smithing does.

Nope, it doesn't, I have a mod that modifies destruction and make it viable late game. See my first post in this thread.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
OK, I'm not sure why we're comparing a PURE mage with an Enchanting warrior. Sure, the warrior Can find enchanted gear, or even take up Enchanting, but in that case, there's no reason a Mage can't use Armor, or a better weapon than a dagger, for instance.

2 Stop Dual Casting as the only attack. If you shoot 1 Incinerate, then another while they're on fire, the 15 ectra damage you get out of Dual Casting is made up for by the On Fire status effect. Use Dual Casting ONLY for impact, your Magicka will last longer, and so will you.

There's Magicka reduction in the game, it goes up with level, so that when you do get up to Incinerate, you should have the Robes, and [ossibly a Circlet to cast them. The operative word is REDUCTION. For total elimination, you either have to Enchant your own, or exploit Radient for Peerless Gear. What this suggests to me is that Magicka Elimination is a late game thing. Untill you get it, how do you even survive to that point without understanding the Basics of Magicka Management? You can do it with Stealth, presumably you can watch your Health Bar before it gets down to 0, so what's the problem?

I know, Desrruction doesn't do enough damage. This makes it more difficult. Why are you playing on Master in the first place if you didn't want it to be difficulty? To prove what a badass you are? I regret to inform you that Destruction is not the way to go to be a badass. You're least effective up close where the badasses are, you actually have a Damage Cap, and you can't swing indefinitely. OTOH, if you wanted to be a badass Player, instead of having a character that does it all for you, then yoou'd go ahead and learn how to use Destruction as is. All I hear is a bunch of whining that it's not powerful enough.

Badasses don't whine.

I'm not comparing a pure mage and warrior, these two are, I'm simply sharing my opinion on magic.
I've played long enough to know that a pure mage is underpowered, I mostly play hybrid classes for the best of both worlds.
Dual casting is almost necessary as a mage, you rely on impact to stop warriors closing on you, that bandit chief or draugr gets near you and your dead. Impact is the only thing that makes destruction even useable.
I no longer use destruction at all until I get freeze and ignite the 2 best destruction spells.
With free spells, destruction still sucks, like adam said above, your sitting there spamming spells because the damage is so low.
I don't normally play on master but I have in the past, I'm just saying that for those players that use master, destruction is even more useless.
I know how to use destruction effectively, it's by reducing spell costs to a minimum of 80% on Adept difficulty. It is just so incredibly boring and low damage that I no longer use destruction.

Don't get me wrong I'm not meaning to whine about this, my character is a stealth/magic hybrid, It just frustrates me to no end why destruction was made so weak???! It used to be fun to use, again what is going on with no spell creation?!

Staff member
I'm not comparing a pure mage and warrior, these two are, I'm simply sharing my opinion on magic.
I've played long enough to know that a pure mage is underpowered, I mostly play hybrid classes for the best of both worlds.
Dual casting is almost necessary as a mage, you rely on impact to stop warriors closing on you, that bandit chief or draugr gets near you and your dead. Impact is the only thing that makes destruction even useable.
I no longer use destruction at all until I get freeze and ignite the 2 best destruction spells.
With free spells, destruction still sucks, like adam said above, your sitting there spamming spells because the damage is so low.
I don't normally play on master but I have in the past, I'm just saying that for those players that use master, destruction is even more useless.
I know how to use destruction effectively, it's by reducing spell costs to a minimum of 80% on Adept difficulty. It is just so incredibly boring and low damage that I no longer use destruction.

Don't get me wrong I'm not meaning to whine about this, my character is a stealth/magic hybrid, It just frustrates me to no end why destruction was made so weak???! It used to be fun to use, again what is going on with no spell creation?!
Illusion is the most enjoyable form of magic imho. I love watching NPC fights. Brings a tear to my eye when I see two Cave Bears tearing each other apart. (Conjuration is equally awesome)

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Illusion is the most enjoyable form of magic imho. I love watching NPC fights. Brings a tear to my eye when I see two Cave Bears tearing each other apart.
I agree 100% I love illusion.

I'm not trying to make out that magic is useless it's far from it, I just hate what they've done with destruction in this game, and it could all be solved by adding spell creation..

Staff member
I agree 100% I love illusion.

I'm not trying to make out that magic is useless it's far from it, I just hate what they've done with destruction in this game, and it could all be solved by adding spell creation..
Pray for a dlc or a mod to take care of it. Otherwise, tough cookie. Chew on it.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Pray for a dlc or a mod to take care of it. Otherwise, tough cookie. Chew on it.
I am praying :p I can only think that the only reason they took it out was so they could put it in dlc and make us pay for it, no other reason to.

Staff member
I kinda miss the overpowered-ness of older games. I hate how modern Single player games put so many limits on the player. I HATE BEING LIMITED. It should be a "if you don't like it, don't use it" kind of thing. No reason why dead thrall should have a level cap and only work on humanoids.

IT'S A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!!! WHY U NEED BALANCE?!?!?!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I kinda miss the overpowered-ness of older games. I hate how modern Single player games put so many limits on the player. I HATE BEING LIMITED. It should be a "if you don't like it, don't use it" kind of thing. No reason why dead thrall should have a level cap and only work on humanoids.
agreed, it should definately work on undead, it is necromancy after all. I really wanted 2 draugr deathlords, then maybe I'd admit conjuration is op :)

Staff member
agreed, it should definately work on undead, it is necromancy after all. I really wanted 2 draugr deathlords, then maybe I'd admit conjuration is op :)
It is still overpowered. At level 81 two Volkihar vampires with enchanted/improved armour and weapons will annihilate any enemy you come across. If you happen to have a pile of dead bodies at your base of operation (don't ask) the dragon that decides to attack gets gang rap** when you activate ritual stone.

Smarty

I am praying :p I can only think that the only reason they took it out was so they could put it in dlc and make us pay for it, no other reason to.

There was some talk about spell crafting, apparently it was removed from the game.

See this link.

Interviewer: One thing that when I was down to see you guys at the studio was stuff related to how spells would interact with each other and that kind of thing. And I would suspect that the results of your experimentation on that would have an affect on whether you have anything like spellcrafting, right?

Todd: “Yeah, spellcrafting is a real wildcard. Something that we’ve done a lot. And there are pluses and minuses to it. We’d like to find… we have some ideas that we really like on how to solve that, and I don’t know where that’s going to go. But the thing that we DON’T like about the previous systems that we’ve done, is it becomes very “spread-sheety.” It takes the magic out of magic. You got to see the game, but your listeners haven’t. There’s a bigger emphasis on how the magic physically acts. Just a spell like fire; there are different spells for how the fire moves. Like putting down a rune that explodes when you walk over it. Or fire you can spray that lingers on the ground, like you’re spraying a wall, and you can spray the ceiling. Or fire that travels like a flamethrower out of your hands. Or a fireball that you charge up and throw and it explodes at a distance. So our main goal is to make magic feel like this arcane powerful thing. And once it goes into a spreadsheet in the game where you can just say I want something at this distance and this power, it removes the illusion of like how this stuff actually works. So we have some ideas of ways around that, but we don’t know where those are going to go yet. We do have the benefit of, we’re really, really happy with how the magic plays in the game, both visually and mechanically. And then being able to do it with both hands. There are opportunities there for combinations and things you can do without getting into the spreadsheet aspect of it. Which I do know some people like, but it does take away from the impact of the spells that you’re finding and mechanically how they work.”

Staff member
There was some talk about spell crafting, apparently it was removed from the game.

See this link.

Interviewer: One thing that when I was down to see you guys at the studio was stuff related to how spells would interact with each other and that kind of thing. And I would suspect that the results of your experimentation on that would have an affect on whether you have anything like spellcrafting, right?

Todd: “Yeah, spellcrafting is a real wildcard. Something that we’ve done a lot. And there are pluses and minuses to it. We’d like to find… we have some ideas that we really like on how to solve that, and I don’t know where that’s going to go. But the thing that we DON’T like about the previous systems that we’ve done, is it becomes very “spread-sheety.” It takes the magic out of magic. You got to see the game, but your listeners haven’t. There’s a bigger emphasis on how the magic physically acts. Just a spell like fire; there are different spells for how the fire moves. Like putting down a rune that explodes when you walk over it. Or fire you can spray that lingers on the ground, like you’re spraying a wall, and you can spray the ceiling. Or fire that travels like a flamethrower out of your hands. Or a fireball that you charge up and throw and it explodes at a distance. So our main goal is to make magic feel like this arcane powerful thing. And once it goes into a spreadsheet in the game where you can just say I want something at this distance and this power, it removes the illusion of like how this stuff actually works. So we have some ideas of ways around that, but we don’t know where those are going to go yet. We do have the benefit of, we’re really, really happy with how the magic plays in the game, both visually and mechanically. And then being able to do it with both hands. There are opportunities there for combinations and things you can do without getting into the spreadsheet aspect of it. Which I do know some people like, but it does take away from the impact of the spells that you’re finding and mechanically how they work.”
Once more, I will state, IF YOU NO LIKE, U NO USE!!! I WANT MY OPTIONS BACK!!!(sorry for the rant, I still love the game)

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
It is still overpowered. At level 81 two Volkihar vampires with enchanted/improved armour and weapons will annihilate any enemy you come across. If you happen to have a pile of dead bodies at your base of operation (don't ask) the dragon that decides to attack gets gang rap** when you activate ritual stone.
I agree with this, but volkihars can be hard to find, they won't wear custom armour only their standard armour and they often go missing, well all thralls do, just disappear after fast travel with all of your valuable gear, kind of puts me off. They're fun to use though.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary

See this link.

I could not disagree with them more, besides what's the harm in giving people the option? they don't have to use it.