Skyrim will have treasure maps

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
I don't know. I just feel that it's weird how lockpicking and pickpocketing are separate skills. I never really picked pockets in oblivion. If I wanted to steal something, I could just kill the guy with sneak attack and take everything.
I thought lockpicking was a completely useless skill in oblivion since we can pick the hardest lock at early levels. You can get a daedric artifact that's an indestructible lockpick. Maybe if they have lockpick like they did in fallout, it might be more important since picking locks is useful in quests and you can't just lock pick anything if you're skill is too low.

I guess they could make those skills more important than they seem with some perks. Maybe I'm not much of a stealth guy. I feel like those skills are too trivial to be on its own. It could merge with sneak or make a new skill called 'hand-dexterity' which would include lockpicking, pickpocketing and maybe even thowing weapons and hand-to-hand. I guess lockpicking was always a separate skill in TES games (as security) but did we have to take pick-pocketing out of sneak? It just gives me an impression that they just took it out of Sneak just to have 6 skills for each set of combat, magic and stealth.

With lockpicking, I feel in skyrim it should be a lot harder than oblivion.. I don't quite like how in fallout you literally have no chance even if you're one level away from it. I think they just need to make it a lot harder the further you are from being a good enough level.. so say you're level 30 lockpicking, picking hard lock would actually take a load of effort and very hard locks would be nearly impossible, so you'd rarely even bother trying. xD I like being able to still try, though. So it's just as much developing my skill as playing as it is my characters skill..

Perks will be the plops, can't wait for them. xD

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
With lockpicking, I feel in skyrim it should be a lot harder than oblivion.. I don't quite like how in fallout you literally have no chance even if you're one level away from it. I think they just need to make it a lot harder the further you are from being a good enough level.. so say you're level 30 lockpicking, picking hard lock would actually take a load of effort and very hard locks would be nearly impossible, so you'd rarely even bother trying. xD I like being able to still try, though. So it's just as much developing my skill as playing as it is my characters skill..

Perks will be the plops, can't wait for them. xD
In fallout, there's 5 type of lock difficulty. Each difficulty comes with skill limit, meaning that if your lockpicking skill is below that limit, you can't pick that lock at all. Very Easy[0], Easy[25], Average[50], Hard[75], Very Hard[100] But as the lock gets more difficult, the mini-game also gets more difficult but nothing too annoying. I have a sense that Skyrim's lockpicking is going to be very similar... I understand that if they want the lock-picking mechanic to work like it did in Fallout, then you would need a separate skill. But I feel that lockpicking is a boring skill overall. I can't imagine any exciting perks from lockpicking... I could be wrong but if lockpicking does work exactly like the one in Fallout, then I think they are just borrowing a mechanic from a different game that doesn't really fit with Skyrim very well. We don't exactly know yet so we'll have to see how they implemented it.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
In fallout, there's 5 type of lock difficulty. Each difficulty comes with skill limit, meaning that if your lockpicking skill is below that limit, you can't pick that lock at all. Very Easy[0], Easy[25], Average[50], Hard[75], Very Hard[100] But as the lock gets more difficult, the mini-game also gets more difficult but nothing too annoying. I have a sense that Skyrim's lockpicking is going to be very similar... I understand that if they want the lock-picking mechanic to work like it did in Fallout, then you would need a separate skill. But I feel that lockpicking is a boring skill overall. I can't imagine any exciting perks from lockpicking... I could be wrong but if lockpicking does work exactly like the one in Fallout, then I think they are just borrowing a mechanic from a different game that doesn't really fit with Skyrim very well. We don't exactly know yet so we'll have to see how they implemented it.

I know how fallout works, I've got the game. :p Yeah like I said, you can't do the lock even if you're only one level below it.. so say you're 49 or 48, but it needs 50, you're fluffed. D: Hence I think skyrim should act similar to oblivion, except lockpicking is just a LOT harder if you're not good enough level.. so say you're a level or two away, fine, but if you're 10-20 levels away it should be a huge challenge.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I know how fallout works, I've got the game. :p Yeah like I said, you can't do the lock even if you're only one level below it.. so say you're 49 or 48, but it needs 50, you're fluffed. D: Hence I think skyrim should act similar to oblivion, except lockpicking is just a LOT harder if you're not good enough level.. so say you're a level or two away, fine, but if you're 10-20 levels away it should be a huge challenge.
I guess that could work... Though I've seen screenshots of lock-picking in action which basically looks exactly like the one from Fallout. Still not really sure if it works EXACTLY the same. If it is as you describe it, then I'd imagine it to be impossibly difficult to open higher difficulty lock. The one from Oblivion was actually challenging compared to Fallout but obviously not enough to easily open VERY HARD locks at low levels. In Fallout, it's just rotate and use trial-and-error. I guess the margin of error is much larger is your skill is too low?

Anyways, my point is that Lock-picking kind of stick out like a sore thumb as a skill on its own. I really do want to see what kind of perks it has. Perhaps it could convince me that lock-picking is important enough to be a whole separate skill.

Jeruhmi

Lock picking was always a fun skill in Fallout and I hope it's a big part of Skyrim. I just love the concept behind it. Although it was easier just to kill them, lol.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Well, if lockpicking was the only way to access the majority of chests and doors in hidden locations (and only a fraction of those could be opened with keys) then it would be a pretty important skill and you’d have to choose between getting extra loot by increasing your lockpicking skill on the one hand and increased damage/health/whatever if you decided to spend your points elsewhere on the other hand.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I guess you're right. In oblivion, lock-picking didn't feel all that important since loots were leveled and didn't give all that much. I unlock a HARD chest and all I get is like 5 gold coins, cloths and caliper. :\

Jeruhmi

I guess you're right. In oblivion, lock-picking didn't feel all that important since loots were leveled and didn't give all that much. I unlock a HARD chest and all I get is like 5 gold coins, cloths and caliper. :\
I know right! You could unlock any chest and get basically the same loot as a harder one. Just plain silly.

Tusck

I agree with Hex, pickpocket was useless in Oblivion because you can kill the mob faster than actually stealing from them and NPC normally had nothing worthwhile on them. Hopefully that will be fixed in Skyrim.

As far as treasure maps, that is right up my thieves alley. I'll be looking for these maps asap.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I've always felt that Fallout's locpicking was good but not polished to perfect. I also felt it was somehow strange that if you had skill 49 and lock 50, you couldn't do anything about it. And the perk "you can lockpick again a lock, which you jammed" is completly useless. Who uses it when you have a quicksave. In second thought, maybe it was targeted for consoles because they have much longer loading times. But anyway, its useless.

Pickpocketing has been so far a fail. And I don't know how they're are able to improve it in Skyrim.

Flamingtaco

Well, if lockpicking was the only way to access the majority of chests and doors in hidden locations (and only a fraction of those could be opened with keys) then it would be a pretty important skill and you’d have to choose between getting extra loot by increasing your lockpicking skill on the one hand and increased damage/health/whatever if you decided to spend your points elsewhere on the other hand.
My hope is that is not the only way. Playing as a mighty orc warrior, I can see him much preferring to just bash the thing open rather than fiddle around with teeny pieces of metal. The problem with oblivion was that it was based on luck and timing. Increasing your skill didn't actually affect it other than perks so I'm looking forward to a new system, not having played fallout.

Travis

Hey That works for me one of my favorit things about Red Dead Redemption was chaseing down treasure. I am not a huge fan of starting out running the main quest line. I tend to spend a good 20hrs before I even hit the first area of main quest. I like to do everything, and help everyone. This game is probably going to be my favorit off all time if not already.
Yeah, the treasure hunting was a really cool part of Red Dead. In fact, my wife doesn't really care for Red Dead on the whole, and usually goes to another room when I play it. But when I'm doing treasure hunts, we'll solve the puzzles together. It's like homemade co-op. I'll be glad to see it in Skyrim.

Flamingtaco

It will be nice to have a source for money early on that requires a little thinking and isn 't just dungeon grinding and guild quests.

With lock-picking I've always wondered why you cant just choose the loud and obnoxious way and just batter the hell outta the chest, I mean fair enough there may be a few that are to strong but sometimes its just a little wooden box and you have an almighty mace in one hand and you whip out a toothpick, seems weird to me anyway...

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I assume they didn’t want to spend time on implementing the consequences that this would logically have (i.e. people should notice that the lock was forced open and search for you or something like that).

Fair enough, that makes sense and if it was implemented into the game it would ruin lock-picking, I was just thinking logically. I guess you shouldn't really try to think about logic when playing a game where there are cat people, magic and dragons etc.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
No, no, you are right in doing so. The game should be as consistent as possible and your proposal makes sense. It’s just that it would require some extra time which most developers will usually not spend on something like this.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts