• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DarkEastwood

Playstyles are acts of limiting yourself or supplementing certain areas in order to create a different feel for your character. This is NOT a "challenge" thread, however, most of the quirks of these playstyles make the game much more difficult, but at the same time, more rewarding. Personally, I feel that following certain playstyle restrictions makes for a stronger roleplay and a better experience for me. The following playstyle restrictions are categorized by Class, and each are obviously optional. Just pick the ones you feel will supplement your experience.

General (Any playstyle should consider these)

Eating - 3 times a day. I typically don't do this, as it gets tedious, but it can be good for the characters who are supposed to be poor.

Followers - For me, followers cost 5 gold per hour, or I just split the loot 50/50.

Perks - Only invest in perks when near someone who specializes in that skill and is friendly to you (or pay them 100 gold). This is so you don't just magically learn these new techniques and abilties; someone teaches you them. I usually wait an hour to simulate the time to teach you.

Saves - One save (or just auto saves). Don't load when something bad happens; just carry on with the consequences you created (unless it was a bug or something).

Potions - Sheathe your weapon before using potions.

Sleep - Try to get 8 hours a day. Sometimes when I don't think it's incredibly important to the roleplay, I pretend I sleep on the carriage, but that's a rare case.

Warrior

Be a Warrior - Don't sneak (unless you're hunting), don't pick locks, don't use magic, etc. Unless the skill is considered one of your Primary or Secondary skills, consider yourself inept when it comes to things involving dexterity or magic.

Courage - Decide beforehand if your warrior will be a brave hero or a scared hero. Act accordingly.

Swimming - Don't swim in heavy armor

Carry Weight - I find 30% of your carry weight as your max is a reasonable amount for your average Warrior. (ex. 300 max= 100 max)

Thief

Killing - Personally, I try not to kill anyone. I have completed the Thieves Guild questline a few times without killing anyone but one (Mercer) person, and it really makes me feel like a true thief. Use arrows to create diversions.

Lockpicks - This is one that I was hesitant about at first, but began to love the feel of it. You may only carry up to 5 lockpicks with you. This makes the lockpick tree more valuable, and the overall skill of it more intense and rewarding. Trust me on this one.

Heists - In addition tot he Guild jobs, plan heists for yourself. For example, try to infiltrate somewhere that isn't even supposed to be robbed (bandit hideaway, Thalmor fort, etc) and get loot without killing. It's challenging, fun, and makes you feel like a true thief. A personal favorite is the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, however, you must kill Astrid to unlock it.

Carry Weight - 20%

Outfit - Change clothes accordingly. Use disguises and be an agent of infiltration.

Assassin

Targets - Kill nobody but your target. During bandit raids, sneak through and kill just Bandit Chief.

Carry Weight - 20%

Outfit - Change clothes accordingly. Walking around in Dark Brotherhood armor isn't exactly accepted in society, even though the game allows it.

Mage

Tomes - Wait an hour to simulate reading a tome.

Carry Weight - 10%

Please share any ideas you have below! I'd love to hear them :) And PS, yes this was partially inspired by BIGWooly's Hardcore playstyle rules. If you haven't seen them, check them out! All those rules can be combined to the Warrior/General rules.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
pretty sure I've seen a similar post like this, could be mistaken, but kudos for the idea.

DarkEastwood

pretty sure I've seen a similar post like this, could be mistaken, but kudos for the idea.
You may be thinking of BIGwooly's Hardcore rules. Those were essentially the "General" part of mine and some of the Warrior part. That is what influenced me to originally start creating characters that follow strict playstyles, but this thread is to elaborate on the more specialized classes, rather than one big general guideline.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
You may be thinking of BIGwooly's Hardcore rules. Those were essentially the "General" part of mine and some of the Warrior part. That is what influenced me to originally start creating characters that follow strict playstyles, but this thread is to elaborate on the more specialized classes, rather than one big general guideline.
ah yes, now i remember lol, thanx for clearing that up

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Thief

Killing - Personally, I try not to kill anyone. I have completed the Thieves Guild questline a few times without killing anyone but one (Mercer) person, and it really makes me feel like a true thief. Use arrows to create diversions.

Lockpicks - This is one that I was hesitant about at first, but began to love the feel of it. You may only carry up to 5 lockpicks with you. This makes the lockpick tree more valuable, and the overall skill of it more intense and rewarding. Trust me on this one.

Heists - In addition tot he Guild jobs, plan heists for yourself. For example, try to infiltrate somewhere that isn't even supposed to be robbed (bandit hideaway, Thalmor fort, etc) and get loot without killing. It's challenging, fun, and makes you feel like a true thief. A personal favorite is the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, however, you must kill Astrid to unlock it.

Carry Weight - 20%

Outfit - Change clothes accordingly. Use disguises and be an agent of infiltration.

I have always wanted to play a true thief. An honorable rogue who doesn't kill unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, all my of thieves eventually become these mass murdering machines. I always find myself strategically placing myself and waiting for who knows how long for the perfect kill. Yet I don't really like playing the blood thirsty assassin type of character.

But how can you go through the game without like, ever killing? For example, I can't fathom how you would go through White River Watch with the intention of heisting the Ironhand Gauntlets off of Hajvarr. I guess your sneak just needs to be that high? Arrows to send people looking? Perhaps Illusion, too? I guess you can mix everything together and get through, but that sounds hard. Like, really hard. And then what do you do if it goes to hell? Do you run out and try again another day or do you hold your ground?

Also, draugr? I imagine killing draugr must be OK. I mean, they're basically zombies. But I can totally see clearing out a draugr infested ruin leading to another murdering spree.

I've done most of the warrior things the exception being limiting my carrying capacity. I just don't have time/patience to micromanage that kind of stuff. I'd also recommend having a character that prefers a specific type of armor/weapon. For example, only using steel weapons. I had an orc warrior that only used orc stuff except in the very beginning when there was no other option. But as soon as an orc weapon and armor became availabl, that was it. I had an imperial that used dwarven axes. Loved dwarven axes. It adds a bit of difficulty if you stick to using lower tier stuff. But if your character only uses like, daedric stuff then I guess it's less a limitation and more a common practice.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
1st of all, I like your ideas. Especially planning your heists as a thief and changing clothes to blend in as an assassin.

On a related note, maybe as your going through a bandit hideout, your character could kill one of the guards, change into his clothes than cast calm on some of the other bandits that are harder to sneak past. Rp it as though you are disguised for a limited time, but if you hang around too long than they see through it?

Courage - Decide beforehand if your warrior will be a brave hero or a scared hero. Act accordingly

Can you please explain this a little more? Does a scared hero only fight one on one than run away if more enemies come?

Manmangler

I have mod that make sure not to swim in heavy armour, even light sometimes must take off.

I dont use healing potions while direct contact, must be other room without enemies or behing some rock in sneak.

I usually level up in near some trainers, yep I try train 5 times every level. So perks came within in trainer.

Once I have killed people in TG questline, this playthrough none, Except man you must kill(not there yet).

Even my character is very good sneak and fighter, She wont change style in mission. If she start thieft, she will be thieft style. If she start as fighter, she wont sneak etc... (Why person who can sneak, wont be good in combat, BUT usually peoples made some preparations, so If she take preparations and equiment for direct combat, she wont sneak. Maybe heavier armour, not as flexible as sneaking armour. And even armour rating in sneak armour is good, I pretend that wont hold enough while direct combat).

I even limit usage of healing potions. Food I must aquire during in mission. Nowbody will carry refrigerator in his/her back. Some food wont survive many days trip in normal tempature (Okay offcourse there is a change limit eating near fire/fireplace in cold areas. So Icy nature make sure that wood will be good in days). Offcourse camping and camping mods are good. Sometimes I stored food in mission area before.

Money I carry only certain amount, now I have stored 1 000 000 in jewelbox in lakeview.

For carry weight and stuff. I hate leave good stuff behind. So I break immersion. Some times I even overload my self. Usually I carry stuff from cave exit nearest storage. Made several trips and when all ist there and cave is clear, I take all and use Horse to get lakeview. Some playthrough I used bag of holding. With several rules, usually leave it same storage where put stuff. If I'm walking nature etc with bag of holding, I MUST DROP IT before enter melee or sneak(It is very difficult to fight while carrying half of worlds stuff in you back).

For saving, I disagree. Knowing how many times Elders Scroll or Fallout3/NV saves can corrupt, script will be broken etc.I use many saves.

EDIT1: After post below me reminds something
I use iHud, I wont see compass, directions, map markers etc. I see only stamina/health/magicka when used and only bow and sneak i see crosshair. I need use lot of map. I have to locate enemies with seeing them, not looking red dots. Make funnier to locate where dragon will strike.

I use light mod making nights and dungeons much darker. I put ambient occulsion ON graphicscard drivers.

Edit2: Traps, I use mod that make traps more dangerous. In lower levels one hit kill.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Health potions - only use health potions when you are not directly engaged in combat (step back from opponent, take cover behind rock, etc.) and you have a free hand available to use the health potion.

HUD - if you want to go super-hardcore, turn your HUD off completely. You will have to play with a new level of awareness, since you can't see your health, stamina or magicka bars, you can't identify your enemies based on name alone and are unaware of their health levels, and don't know what is hostile and what is not, or where approaching threats are.

Realistic fighting - as a warrior, fight realistically. Think tactically, strike purposefully, and use meaningful blocks with your shield. Running in and hacking and slashing your enemies to pieces isn't nearly as fun as having a standoff, sword and shield, with a few bandits, and having to employ a strategic series of blocks and strikes to successfully beat them.

Health - this can't really apply to those with HUD off, because they can't see their health bar. When you are down a ton of health, you're barely living. Realistically, you'd probably be dragging yourself along the ground you're hurt so bad. So, move and behave according to your current health level. This can require a certain level of finesse, especially when engaged in a fight, since you always need to be aware of your health and need to act in accordance to whatever that health is, but it really does add a new level of survivability to the game.

DarkEastwood

Yes I am on console, so my saves have never corrupted. I didn't know it was that bad on PC.
Hildofr said:
But how can you go through the game without like, ever killing? For example, I can't fathom how you would go through White River Watch with the intention of heisting the Ironhand Gauntlets off of Hajvarr. I guess your sneak just needs to be that high? Arrows to send people looking? Perhaps Illusion, too? I guess you can mix everything together and get through, but that sounds hard. Like, really hard. And then what do you do if it goes to hell? Do you run out and try again another day or do you hold your ground?

Also, draugr? I imagine killing draugr must be OK. I mean, they're basically zombies. But I can totally see clearing out a draugr infested ruin leading to another murdering spree.
It is very difficult at first, I'll admit it, but once you learn how to properly handle certain situations, you can get past just about any situation without blood being shed. Illusion is optional, I don't use it because Calm, Frenzy and Fear can make it a bit too easy. When I'm caught, I usually run away until line of sight is gone, then find a good spot to hide or use an invisibility potion until they lose caution. After some experience, you won't get caught much, I promise. Draugr are fair game, yes, unless your character has some sort of love for the undead.

Irishman said:
On a related note, maybe as your going through a bandit hideout, your character could kill one of the guards, change into his clothes than cast calm on some of the other bandits that are harder to sneak past. Rp it as though you are disguised for a limited time, but if you hang around too long than they see through it?
I like the idea. If your character is okay with killing the first guard, go for it. Or maybe you could just find some extra uniform in a barrel or something. But careful; keep in mind it should be more difficult in smaller encampments where they know their ranks better.

Irishman said:
Can you please explain this a little more? Does a scared hero only fight one on one than run away if more enemies come?
For example, you and the guard have encountered the Dragon, and it is kinda kicking the guard's ass, and you're even at half health. The Dragon is at relatively low health, and it lands, but you're vulnerable. Do you take cover and let the guards finish it off? Or do you charge it while it's grounded? Another example would be how much you use a bow with a follower being used. A more courageous warrior would almost always lead and go toe to toe with his enemy. A more scared one would let his friend go forward while you pepper them with arrows from a distance.

Go ideas guys! Keep 'em coming!:D

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I've done a character where he couldn't carry more than was reasonable. He couldn't have 3 heavy armors and 16 weapons in his inventory. At best, he could carry 1 piece of armor and maybe 1 extra weapon. He loved finding gemstones as they were easy to stash. It's painful leaving stuff behind.

My warriors always have a basic ability with lockpicking since Bethesda left out a "bash" option.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I try to implement things like this in to my playthroughs as well. It keeps me from getting bored quick with characters. Thanks for sharing!

Manmangler

In PC if you have unofficial patches, there is no killer bug (As I know).
Still some modding can cause problems (Removing mod can render save useless).

In consoles, there is no unofficial patches and several bug can be found, so only one save can be problem. (I dont have Skyrim on consoles but bad memoirs from new vegas)

I suggest
- limit how many arrows you carry, its easy sniping everyone while having hundreds of arrows

Only my two last characters where ability do some serious crimes. So for 10 characters only 2 is killers and can kill NPCs (Not counting bandits, stormcloaks and bad guy like miraak/followers). Two others has too joined TG but draw the line for that, no DB. It good to do some moral rules. Only those who join DB, where vampires. This is moral thing. Offcourse when good moral person have to do something bad, she/he may flip aka killing innocent accidentally can make person as murdering madman(This allow you change playstyle in playthrough). Or If you are accused something you did not do as purposelly (Guard charge you as thief because you try speak and pickup item)

Why skyrim dropped item degrdading. It would be good if items lost their durablity.

Those who get bored, make rules per missions like one mission as thief and second for fighter.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
I respect people for doing these things and they're all great ideas but I couldn't hack it. I think the only thing I try to avoid is fast traveling often. If I can use a cart, I will. Often I'll run instead of fast traveling unless there's a very good reason not to

I've considered doing a game as a city guard before, but that would literally only involve me living in the city I choose and wearing guard armour. I wouldn't patrol the streets talking about curved swords

Wildroses

I never have each playstyle exactly the same as I like to mix it up, so here are some variations I've done which haven't yet been mentioned.

If my characters adopt or marry, I actually try and be a good wife and mother. I'll do things like hurry home every evening to hang out with the family, or if I have to go away for several days on my quests, I'll have a pre-set number of days I'll be away for and spend an equivalent amount of time at home.

I also try and be a good provider. If I have children, spouses, livestock, pets, stewards, housecarls and hirelings I will try arrange to feed them all. I normally do this by actually putting aside food for them. I put them all in a container until something more permanent presents itself, like selling them to a shop which has no money or placing them in a body or respawning container. Console players and PC players without Hearthfire be warned: this works for me because I use the garden and have mods increasing the amount of ingredients installed and gardening plots. There isn't enough salt and garlic in vanilla games to make this viable otherwise. You may prefer to provide for the family by putting aside a certain amount of gold per week instead, which works well. One time I played a character in which a fully manned homestead cost $5000 a week to maintain. Finding $15000 a week suddenly made earning money more important.

I've also done some variations on joining guilds. I had a Dawnguard character who had to do one Dawnguard quest a week. I played an Imperial Soldier who got a weeks leave in between her missions.

I'm also playing a character at the College of Winterhold who has to do one Winterhold quest a week and isn't allowed to graduate until she has learnt all the master spells, read all the books, 100 in all magic skills, and knows all the enchantments. After four months of playing her on and off, all that is preventing her graduating is a lot of book reading and finding a waterbreathing enchantment. She has a strict weekly schedule as well, reading books Morndas, enchanting Tirdas, training Middas, learning spells Turdas, Winterhold quest Fredas.

I'm playing another character right now who I have decided can't leave the College until she has reached 100 in Illusion, Restoration and Alteration, so she doing quests until she reaches the magic numbers, but I haven't made her stick to a weekly schedule. She just trains until she's out of money, then does a Winterhold quest and trains again.

Using the wait function for crafting is good as well. Most people have heard of this, I'm sure. When I decide to play a character like that, I normally go mixing three potions in one hour for alchemy, and smithing and enchanting take three hours per step.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I respect people for doing these things and they're all great ideas but I couldn't hack it. I think the only thing I try to avoid is fast traveling often. If I can use a cart, I will. Often I'll run instead of fast traveling unless there's a very good reason not to

I've considered doing a game as a city guard before, but that would literally only involve me living in the city I choose and wearing guard armour. I wouldn't patrol the streets talking about curved swords

Agreed. I don't have the discipline for all that. Avoiding fast travel is easy enough, even preferable. I also allow myself the use of carriages. It's gotten to the point where I feel like I'm cheating if I DO fast travel. One time I even left a sacrifice of 1000 gold on a spider carcass and "teleported" back home because I was carrying too much loot to be able to do a raid on Movarth's lair without leaving a lot of choice stuff behind.

I've tried to limit myself to realistic looting but it's so hard. So very hard. When I do attempt it, I make the rule that as soon as I acquire an item or potion that magically increases my carrying capacity, I'm able to carry anything up to my weight limit for as long as I'm wearing the item or the potion is working. Steed Stone is also acceptable for this purpose but not increases to Stamina due to leveling, nor bonuses to weight limit for the Pickpocket Perk. I never limit the Misc, Ingredient, Book, Potion, or Food categories. As Hildolfr said, I don't have the patience to micromanage my inventory but props to all who do.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts