Once, just once, let's have a rational discussion about incest.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
Sorry if I upset you. I'm just pointing out that inbreeding is far from the only source of defects. In fact, since that's so rare, it's more likely to inherit genetic diseases from parents who have relatively little relation.

Nah man you didn't upset me you just misquoted what I said. Like I said I think it's wrong and nothing will change my mind on the list of my do's and don'ts in life shagging any member of my family is firmly on the don'ts side.:D

FullmetalHeart20

Depends, in long term it could destroy entire human population if it becomes widespread and accepted.
There is almost no chance of it becoming widespread. Even if it became acceptable, there's still an inherent avoidance of sexualizing close relatives. I believe it's rarity is the only reason it wouldn't cause the apocalypse you're worried about.

FullmetalHeart20

Nah man you didn't upset me you just misquoted what I said. Like I said I think it's wrong and nothing will change my mind on the list of my do's and don'ts in life shagging any member of my family is firmly on the don'ts side.:D
And I don't want you to. It just seems a bit silly to me how people go so far over such a thing. Worse things are allowed in society.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...and there are some couples who are totally unrelated who have a bigger chance of passing genetic defects....?
Inbreeding doesn't pass on genetic defects. Because first degree relatives share 50% of their genes with one another the odds are exponentially higher that inbreeding among them will create congenital disorders. I don't know what studies you're citing but the peer reviewed studies referenced in articles I've read indicate the rate of congenital disorders is in the neighborhood of 40%. That doesn't include mild mental impairment in some of the studies which would put the figure over 50%. Many of the congenital disorders are far more severe and far less manageable then something like hemophilia, and some of them are almost guaranteed to result in death before the child reaches adulthood. That's sufficient reason to me for incest to be illegal between first degree relatives.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
Inbreeding doesn't pass on genetic defects. Because first degree relatives share 50% of their genes with one another the odds are exponentially higher that inbreeding among them will create congenital disorders. I don't know what studies you're citing but the peer reviewed studies referenced in articles I've read indicate the rate of congenital disorders is in the neighborhood of 40%. That doesn't include mild mental impairment in some of the studies which would put the figure over 50%. Many of the congenital disorders are far more severe and far less manageable then something like hemophilia, and some of them are almost guaranteed to result in death before the child reaches adulthood. That's sufficient reason to me for incest to be illegal between first degree relatives.

And there we have facts.:D

FullmetalHeart20

Thank you for that. I didn't know that the rate of disorders was so high. However, we do live in a day and age where such things can be prevented. Couples don't even need to give birth to have children, and they don't always even want any. There is also the fact that, no matter how manageable they may be today, it is still legal to perpetuate genetic diseases. I must admit I'm not clear on the difference between congenital disorders in incest and genetic disorders, but they seem functionally the same. Yet they are treated completely different.

Mookie

Thank you for that. I didn't know that the rate of disorders was so high. However, we do live in a day and age where such things can be prevented. Couples don't even need to give birth to have children, and they don't always even want any. There is also the fact that, no matter how manageable they may be today, it is still legal to perpetuate genetic diseases. I must admit I'm not clear on the difference between congenital disorders and genetic disorders, but they seem functionally the same, yet are treated different.

Now you are grasping straws...

FullmetalHeart20

Now you are grasping straws...
Actually, I'm not. Over 50% of close relatives create disorders? Fine. Now why do we let people pass on brittle bone disease? I really am amazed how focused the genetics argument is. As if it's the source of every genetic problem in history.

Mookie

Actually, I'm not. Over 50% of close relatives create disorders? Fine. Now why do we let people pass on brittle bone disease? I really am amazed how focused the genetics argument is. As if it's the source of every genetic problem in history.

Those are not something that can easily be prevented. Fuc*ing your sister is calling for a disease of some sort. And it can be prevented just by not having sex

Karen

boop.
You wanted to know why incest is taboo, right? And as far as I know, the answer to that is "it's been that way for a very long time". I'm not saying it's a good reason, but you asked for one and that is the main reason why it's illegal and frowned upon. Social norms and traditions play a bigger role in society than what you appear to think, especially on the subject of sexual relationships - a lot of laws exist only to enforce social norms. Polygamy doesn't hurt anyone, incest doesn't hurt anyone, gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone, but they're all illegal in many places for similar reasons. Laws are changing, though, but it takes time. Gay marriage isn't illegal where I live anymore, for example, so who knows - maybe laws against incest will be repealed one day, if enough people will fight for it.

FullmetalHeart20

Resulting in dying out of entire family. God job
orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif
Entire family? What exactly do you mean by that? If their parents had multiple offspring, it wouldn't be a given. If there is only one offspring, they could adopt. If they insist on keeping the blood, they could use a sperm bank ad artifical insemination. Not exactly traditional, but it works.

Mookie

You wanted to know why incest is taboo, right? And as far as I know, the answer to that is "it's been that way for a very long time". I'm not saying it's a good reason, but you asked for one and that is the main reason why it's illegal and frowned upon. Social norms and traditions play a bigger role in society than what you appear to think, especially on the subject of sexual relationships - a lot of laws exist only to enforce social norms. Polygamy doesn't hurt anyone, incest doesn't hurt anyone, gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone, but they're all illegal in many places for similar reasons. Laws are changing, though, but it takes time. Gay marriage isn't illegal where I live anymore, for example, so who knows - maybe laws against incest will be repealed one day, if enough people will fight for it.
pedo_bear_mask_by_bltsalade.jpg

What about him dang it XD
Are laws going to change too :/

Mookie

Entire family? What exactly do you mean by that? If their parents had multiple offspring, it wouldn't be a given. If there is only one offspring, they could adopt. If they insist on keeping the blood, they could use a sperm bank ad artifical insemination. Not exactly traditional, but it works.

Why, I have 18 children. Now they are all in incest relationship with their sibling. What a hell hapens if they dont breed?

FullmetalHeart20

Now that's just rude. I think keeping it in the species is one thing we can all agree on. We're not getting one on par with humans for a very long time.

FullmetalHeart20

Why, I have 18 children. Now they are all in incest relationship with their sibling. What a hell hapens if they dont breed?
Do you really expect 18 siblings in the same household to date and marry each other? I don't believe it's that common. But even if it was, I already listed alternatives.

Karen

boop.
pedo_bear_mask_by_bltsalade.jpg

What about him dang it XD
Are laws going to change too :/
There isn't a good reason to support pedophilia, though, if that's what you mean.