Notes and Letters, what to do

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Asiaxfani

I usually keep them all. I store them in my Hearthfire home: I have one bookshelf in the library dedicated to NPC journals I come across, and the chest next to it contains all the notes and letters. I like hoarding things. But I have to admit that after reading some of the posts in this thread I'm now starting to question whether that's such a smart thing to do after all...

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
I fill my vast library to the brim with knowledge, proceeding to lock my children in there for hours, letting them read the tomes of necromancy! So, library in my house is my answer.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I normally don't care to hang on to notes and such, if they have no relevance to me. I do like to keep assassination contracts and bounty hunter contracts, though. :D They add up! I usually keep those in a lockbox next to my bed in a Hearthfire house.

JClarke1953

I'll stand in the hearth fire and drop them, or in the "majik-pools" in Winterhold and drop them. Or maybe a stream.

The maps I keep with me unless I'm done with them. Such as the Dragon Burial map and a Forsworn camps map.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I usually keep them all. I store them in my Hearthfire home: I have one bookshelf in the library dedicated to NPC journals I come across, and the chest next to it contains all the notes and letters. I like hoarding things. But I have to admit that after reading some of the posts in this thread I'm now starting to question whether that's such a smart thing to do after all...
I'm putting the library in Lakeview manor if I can ever get them to stop attacking me every time I walk in to town (well actually - the guards don't attack me, it's the NPCs as soon as I walk in the Alchemist or the Jarls Hall - funny, the general store guys don't). I have journals all over the place and have filled up Breezehome.

Maybe I just need to kill somebody in Falkreath and pay the fine before they'll stop attacking me. I had to beat down Ulfrich repeatedly and then pay the 3K fine before they'd stop attacking me.

Funny - I didn't have a bounty in either place either and they still attack me. Maybe they just hate me cause I'm an Altmer. :)

jarif

best to sell them to merchants, one thing i've learned about this game is to never, EVER discard something by dropping it, this is because the game has a really bad habit of keeping EVERYTHING you drop wherever you drop it, so doing so increases load times and chances of a game crash.. safest way to get rid of useless stuff like that is sell it.

Well this is not really a issue on PC, you just got to create a clean save

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
best to sell them to merchants, one thing i've learned about this game is to never, EVER discard something by dropping it, this is because the game has a really bad habit of keeping EVERYTHING you drop wherever you drop it, so doing so increases load times and chances of a game crash.. safest way to get rid of useless stuff like that is sell it.

yea but not everyone can afford a pc that'll run this game, and on console it can be a major issue.

jarif

yea but not everyone can afford a pc that'll run this game, and on console it can be a major issue.

I was just pointing it out though :)

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I generally only keep the notes from the DB assassins and the Hired Thugs, I enjoy the simple trophy. Otherwise I stick em on a corpse.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
That's why I sell everything I can to Black Market. I treat him like my Skyrim Recycle Bin. I send my junk to Oblivion. :)

That is probably how the Oblivion Crisis started.

Dagon: "Behold my beautiful, destructive realm. Envy of all the princes, my great lakes of lava and my giant mound of... letters, spoons, wooden plates, bowls, jugs... Oh hell no, who brought this crap here?"

Dremora: "You did Master, when you bound me to that mortal. He sells us his junk."

Dagon: "You mean I'm paying for his plops? That's it, lets fluff up their realm."

Wildroses

That's why I sell everything I can to Black Market. I treat him like my Skyrim Recycle Bin. I send my junk to Oblivion. :)

Dagon: "Behold my beautiful, destructive realm. Envy of all the princes, my great lakes of lava and my giant mound of... letters, spoons, wooden plates, bowls, jugs... Oh hell no, who brought this crap here?"

Dremora: "You did Master, when you bound me to that mortal. He sells us his junk."

Dagon: "You mean I'm paying for his pl***? That's it, lets fluff up their realm."

If that's true, the Dragonborn DLC is basically part one of the story of how the Last Dragonborn began the process of Tamriel's apocalypse by Hermaeus Mora, who eventually got fed up with all the brooms, tankards, letters and wooden bowls covering up the books in his library of knowledge. "Are you kidding me? MORE of this crap? How is it possible their realm even has so many plates? I"ve had enough, I'm going to make sure it's impossible for that realm to have any more of this junk permanently."

You know, I'm kind of pissed off that Hermaeus Mora killed my friend. I think I'll make a point of only selling weapons enchanted with Banish Daedra to his Black Market Dremora Merchant.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

Dagon: "You mean I'm paying for his pl***? That's it, lets fluff up their realm."

If that's true, the Dragonborn DLC is basically part one of the story of how the Last Dragonborn began the process of Tamriel's apocalypse by Hermaeus Mora, who eventually got fed up with all the brooms, tankards, letters and wooden bowls covering up the books in his library of knowledge. "Are you kidding me? MORE of this crap? How is it possible their realm even has so many plates? I"ve had enough, I'm going to make sure it's impossible for that realm to have any more of this junk permanently."

You know, I'm kind of pissed off that Hermaeus Mora killed my friend. I think I'll make a point of only selling weapons enchanted with Banish Daedra to his Black Market Dremora Merchant.
well.. problem is the devs kinda left us with "no choice" but to sell them, skyrim is the only game i've ever played where everything you drop just stays there permanately, had they designed it like other games and made them disappear after awhile it never would have been an issue.. i mean answer me this, why the hell would you ever wanna keep a simple note dropped in the middle of nowhere which reads "New museum opening in dawnstar" :confused: that makes no sense and it really begs the question of "wtf were they thinking" when they thought that'd be a good idea? no wonder this game is so hard to maintain on console, even on pc theirs just no reason for that! most times i don't even care about making money for items i pick up, i just want the damn things gone so they'll stop causing lag and freeze ups so i can play the fukin game in peace! bad game design imo.. i absolutely hate having to take the unnecessary time to make sure i pick up each and every weapon, bow, and shield that litters the ground after a fight to give them to the first merchant i see "what am i a recycling janitor!!??" but if i don't my game will likely freeze, thats just stupid and makes no sense.. i love this game but crazy tasks like that seriously make me question why i play it sometimes. :rolleyes:

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies

well.. problem is the devs kinda left us with "no choice" but to sell them, skyrim is the only game i've ever played where everything you drop just stays there permanately, had they designed it like other games and made them disappear after awhile it never would have been an issue.. i mean answer me this, why the hell would you ever wanna keep a simple note dropped in the middle of nowhere which reads "New museum opening in dawnstar" :confused: that makes no sense and it really begs the question of "wtf were they thinking" when they thought that'd be a good idea? no wonder this game is so hard to maintain on console, even on pc theirs just no reason for that! most times i don't even care about making money for items i pick up, i just want the damn things gone so they'll stop causing lag and freeze ups so i can play the fukin game in peace! bad game design imo.. i absolutely hate having to take the unnecessary time to make sure i pick up each and every weapon, bow, and shield that litters the ground after a fight to give them to the first merchant i see "what am i a recycling janitor!!??" but if i don't my game will likely freeze, thats just stupid and makes no sense.. i love this game but crazy tasks like that seriously make me question why i play it sometimes. :rolleyes:

I understand the frustration but it's fairly simple to stock the dead bodies with loose weapons after the battle so they disappear when the zone resets. Or, like I mentioned, Black Market is a good option.

They can't win no matter what. As is people complain about lag. If they scripted it the way you are suggesting, people would complain that they are losing stuff they accidentally dropped. It's a lose/lose for Bethesda.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

I understand the frustration but it's fairly simple to stock the dead bodies with loose weapons after the battle so they disappear when the zone resets. Or, like I mentioned, Black Market is a good option.

They can't win no matter what. As is people complain about lag. If they scripted it the way you are suggesting, people would complain that they are losing stuff they accidentally dropped. It's a lose/lose for Bethesda.
yea but going around from body to body stuffing weapons in them is even more creepy and tedious! that method would really make me feel like some kinda deranged psychotic.. i'd much rather deal with a few negative interwebz commenting kids who aren't happy unless they have something to complain about cry over losing "that one meaningless note which for some odd reason they wanted to keep" rather than be punished with lag and game crashes so the devs can be sure it doesn't happen.. like i said, bad game design at its finest.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies

yea but going around from body to body stuffing weapons in them is even more creepy and tedious! that method would really make me feel like some kinda deranged psychotic.. i'd much rather deal with a few negative interwebz commenting kids who aren't happy unless they have something to complain about cry over losing "that one meaningless note which for some odd reason they wanted to keep" rather than be punished with lag and game crashes so the devs can be sure it doesn't happen.. like i said, bad game design at its finest.

So you never loot bodies?

Battle over
Pick up any loose weapons
Loot bodies and place weapons...

Not a big deal imo.

And I'm not talking about notes necessarily when I say people would complain about lost items... but what if you had something awesome like a daedric artifact that got Disarmed by a deathlord and you accidentally fast-traveled away before recovering it? I like that I can go back and it will still be there as opposed to being wiped away when I left the zone. Now THAT would piss me off...

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

So you never loot bodies?

Battle over
Pick up any loose weapons
Loot bodies and place weapons...

Not a big deal imo.

And I'm not talking about notes necessarily when I say people would complain about lost items... but what if you had something awesome like a daedric artifact that got Disarmed by a deathlord and you accidentally fast-traveled away before recovering it? I like that I can go back and it will still be there as opposed to being wiped away when I left the zone. Now THAT would piss me off...
i don't loot every enemy, no.. most common bandits for example never have anything of any real value say for a few septims which isn't worth my time, and i'm not saying that items should dissapear immediately, gosh no.. but within a few "in game" hours yes they should, and so what if you forget to grab an item or two? all enemies respawn eventually so its not like that item can't be attained at some point.