Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neriad13

Premium Member
But that's just a matter of sheathing your weapon. A more simple restriction would be "no looting during battle."

What I actually do is only loot armor, clothing, hides and meat off of a body if I can wait an hour. It has to take a bit of time to dress a deer and definitely is a struggle to wrangle clothing articles off a dead body. And if I'm in an area containing hostiles, well, no loot for me until they're dead. This method really forces you to manage your time well too. Is it really worth it to spend an hour skinning that wolf when you need to catch dinner to fill your belly? It doesn't make gameplay tedious either.

Lore-wise and gameplay wise, Dark Elves are my favorite. Fire resist is great for dragons and mages, so thats one less thing to worry about. Everytime I'm deeply immersed ingame, I get so angry walking around the streets, I avoid Windhelm at all costs. I roleplay that I need to pay triple the ordinary price to sleep at the inn, and the inn-keeper always just says, "You should just go" when ever I talk to her. The resident drunk is more that happy to tell me all about how much he hates us "Grey Skins" and "Scalebacks". The argonians also seem to hate me. I swear to god, I can't fl*ffing win there.

fl*ff you Stormcloaks.

Ever since I started playing Morrowind, I've absolutely fallen in love with the Dunmer - their culture and mindset, their powers and resists. I think it's even superseding my love for Nords.

I've been roleplaying my current elf as a haughty, loner refugee who tries her darnedest not to associate with any non-Dunmer. She never sleeps in inns or stays in towns for anything more than buying absolutely necessary supplies. Most of her food, she catches herself and her greatest joy is living out in the wilderness for days without seeing a single friendly soul. As someone who shuns society and welcomes outsiders like herself, I think she'll fit right in to Lord Harkon's court.

I'm level nine and I don't think that I've done a single quest with her yet. I'm just spending time exploring and living off the land and finding a ton of places I never knew existed. It's definitely one of the funnest characters I've ever played.

BIGwooly

- 4E 202 -

I've lost all track of time. I've no idea if it's day or night. I haven't smelled air that wasn't foul for what seems like a week. I'm walking dead ... a draugr. I can't sleep in this place. So I just push forward until I can't anymore, and then I collapse and rest for a few hours .. or days .. or weeks. I can't even tell.

The only thing I know for certain is that I've killed more draugr than I've ever seen before. The ruins are huge, and draugr are everywhere. I've lost count on the number I've slain. It must be close to a hundred by now.

I've had to use every trick in the book to stay alive here. And I'm living on health potions now. There is no food in this place. I hate it here. I just want to see the sky again. Smell the air again. Taste food again. I just want to sleep again.

There's a door ahead. There's always a door ahead. No doubt another series of passages littered with traps and crawling with draugr. I'll go through it, just like every door before it. But first I have to rest. I can barely feel my legs .. barely keep my eyes open. I can barely see the words as I write them.

Just before this door that lies ahead of me I found a word wall. I learned the word, another to add to the power of the storm. But even that barely lifted my spirits. I'm just so tired .. so weary .. and the most difficult part of my journey still lies somewhere ahead of me.

Alduin.

Honourman

I'm still completely hooked on your journal! It is just as good, if not better than reading a book, due to the familiarity and interactive elements. Your dedication to it is simply phenomenal, (almost 8 months) and no doubt one of the main reasons you have inspired so many others to adopt your style of play. As always, I am in anticipation of the next entry!

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I am very scared for Hrisskar right now. He's not quite there yet, but he's doing an excellent job of toughing it out. Talos guide him, alive, to Sovngarde.

BIGwooly

I'm still completely hooked on your journal! It is just as good, if not better than reading a book, due to the familiarity and interactive elements. Your dedication to it is simply phenomenal, (almost 8 months) and no doubt one of the main reasons you have inspired so many others to adopt your style of play. As always, I am in anticipation of the next entry!

Haha, awesome. Thanks for following it! I have a new project on the horizon too so keep your eye out for it. d;-)

BIGwooly

- 4E 202 -

Sovngarde .. finally.

I never thought I'd write those words .. and I thought I would never write them as well. As it turns out, the door I mentioned before led back to the outside world. So with sleepy eyes I stumbled out into the brightness. The light burned my eyes, even though it was obviously late evening. I've been days if not more in the dark foul depths of Skuldafn, but now I'm free.

But I didn't have time to savor the fresh air and the cool breeze. Two powerful draugr were already charging towards me. I stumbled backwards, trying to come up with a plan before I was overwhelmed. One of the draugr conjured a frost atronach as I struggled to get my mace and shield ready. I needed a good plan .. and fast.

We were very high up, nearly at the top of the ruins. If I could just get the two draugr to come together, with their backs to the ledge, I could potentially shout them off of the ledge and the fall would likely kill them. I braced for their assault.

With my shield up I baited them into position. As dangerous as draugr are, their immediate thought is on killing you. They tend not to think outside of that. So it was entirely difficult to lure the two undead minions together, and then with a powerful shout, send them over the ledge to Sovngarde all over again. When the frost atronach dissipated I knew they had died on impact.

Behind me the ruins rose a bit farther, and a large pillar of swirling magic rose high into the air, touching the stars themselves. This had to be Alduin's portal to Sovngarde.

In the dimly fading light I also noticed a dragon perched up high. And then I noticed another on the other side. No doubt they were guarding the portal for Alduin. Surely these were both very powerful if Alduin had put them in charge of protecting his route to Sovngarde. I had managed to kill two dragons once before, but could I do it again? Here? In this place? I wasn't feeling very confident.

I slowly made my way around the structure and up an enormous set of steps. At the top I could see the portal plainly, as well as the two dragons .. and something else. It appeared to be a staff, suspended in front of the portal on a pedestal of sorts.

I didn't know if the staff was needed to enter the portal, or activate it, or if it served no purpose. All I knew is I didn't want to fight two dragons at the same time. I didn't have the energy for it.

So I formed a plan. I would sneak as close as I could to the portal, all the way if possible, and slip inside before the dragons could attack me. If they spotted me, I would use my whirlwind sprint shout to quickly reach the portal. It was a risky plan, though. Because if I used my shout but was unable to enter the portal, and the dragons attacked, I would have to face them without the ability to shout them down. But it seemed worth the risk to at least try and avoid a confrontation.

I had only managed to make my way a few paces before things got significantly more complicated. A dragon priest appeared and moved in to collect the staff. I still didn't know if I need the staff to enter the portal, or if I had to kill the dragons or the priest to do so, but I was out of time either way.

I rose to my feet and began sprinting toward the portal, unleashing my shout at the same time. In the blink of an eye I flew like an arrow to the rising vapors of the portal. And then up .. or down .. I'm not really sure which. I floated like a feather in a windstorm, or sank like a stone in a lake. And in some amount of time I can't really gauge, I arrived in Sovngarde.

sovngardeportal.jpg

The sky bleeds with color and swirls with light. The air itself rings with the presence of my ancestors, and I feel strangely comfortable. In the distance I can make out the outline of a large lodge, and all around me are giant statues that look down on me knowingly.

Words alone cannot describe this place.

sovngardestatues.jpg

bulbaquil

Yay Hrisskar!

Yes, it was the dragon priest I was very worried about. In-game I had Sjadbek bypass it pretty much the same way you did - get to the portal before he can take the staff. (In story, I had Sjad kill the dragon priest.)

But yeah, that one's a challenge even at ADEPT difficulty and full HUD. Hrisskie was very wise not to allow that battle to ensue.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Take a nap Hrissky. I hear Sovnguard is a very calm, restful place. You know, when dragons aren't eating the souls of then heroic dead.
Haha, Hrissky. Love that.

Makes me think of Hrissky Bussiness, kinda fitting for his situation right now!

AS88

Staff member
Well, after three days of on and off reading, I've read all 56 pages and 1110 posts on this thread! I have to say I'm absolutely amazed by the constantly high standard of narration and emotion you convey through your writing. You've had me absolutely hooked throughout and my studying has gone completely on hold while I've read this through.

Seeing the evolution of your character, mentally and physically from a nervous and unskilled commoner to a steely and battle-hardened warrior has been intense and fascinating throughout. So much so I've decided to restart 2 of my current playthroughs with many of the restrictions you've used here. I definitely feel that your measures will improve my experience and immersion.

Although, I think my archer in my avatar will have to wait until I've got used to playing without crosshairs! :p

AS88

Staff member
Yeah, I tried yesterday with my archer and it didn't go exactly as planned :sadface: although I suppose it's one of those things you get accustomed to, I'd just rather get accustomed to it by playing a warrior or something for a bit, so I don't panic when I miss and then get hit like I do now. :p

No HUD makes me such a wuss :/

bulbaquil

Wait if he dies in sovengard what happens? Im pretty sure there's not many inns there.

If he dies in Sovngarde, then he, being a Nord warrior, goes to Sovngarde. :)

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Wait if he dies in sovengard what happens? Im pretty sure there's not many inns there.
I think it would be perfectly acceptable for Hrisskar to "sleep" in a corner for a week and grace his fallen kinsmen with 300 gold upon their floor! I hear they have a hell of a healer up there!

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Yes but since he can't save and there are no beds there will he have to go back to the last time he slept?
He switched a few weeks ago to loading the most recent auto-save instead of the manual save after sleeping. More realistic so more just-killed enemies stay dead.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
GAH SUCH GOOD LAST COUPLE OF ENTRIES!!!! seriously though what will Hrisskar do after Alduin is defeated? I really don't want this to end and I doubt anyone else wants it to end.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts