• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lucid

I've decided to build my first Nord character. Elven stealth-archers are my RPG bread-and-butter, but I force myself out of that comfort zone every now and then. Here's what I'm thinking:

Name: Ysela Stillgaze. A female Nord - youngish, from a humble home, little exposed to politics and current events. Despite (and sometimes owing to) her naivety she will be very charming and persuasive with high speechcraft skills. As she is forced to mature quickly on the roads in Skyrim she will become very well read and self educated.

Combat: Her primary skills will be one-handed, blocking and light armor. She will use archery for ranged attacks but I will probably not use any archery perks.

Magic: She will practice Restoration magic after meeting Danica Pure-Spring, feeling it is a school that should be embraced by Nords (given their warring natures). At later levels she will also take up the Illusion school. NO Destruction, Conjuration or Enchanting, though she will use beneficial enchanted gear that she finds. I'm not sure where's she'll land on Alteration.

She will see the value in Alchemy but have a mistrust of potions she doesn't mix herself, so she will make her own restorative potions. Probably low level since I don't intend to do many perks there either. No poisons.

Game play: She will join the Companions early. I don't know how far she will go in that questline because she will be conflicted by their neutrality on the civil war. She will have Stormcloak leanings, feeling that Ulfric is a proud and honourable Nord - at least initially. It seems to her that the Companions are turning their back on Ysgramor's legacy in Skyrim and that things have become too complacent and comfortable in Jorrvaskr.

She will take her Dovahkiin destiny very seriously. She will seek to find all word walls and unlock all shouts. She will likely join the Blades, she will be suspicious of their historic loyalty to the Empire but will share their dislike of the Thalmor.

She will pray at shrines of Kynareth and Talos. No jobs for or goodies from Daedric princes.

No stealing, no murder, no unnecessary brawling, no initiating conflict or aggression.

She will have an inherent distrust of all non-humans but will have some guilt about it. She will seek out to befriend and understand people of other races, though she will never be truly comfortable with them.

Thoughts? Any obvious holes in this?

Lucid

Also - I'll probably create a Dunmer conjurer-assassin to balance out Ysela. After rereading my plan for her I think I would otherwise grow weary of her goodness and go on a random killing spree.

JoeReese

Woo, that's a lot of restriction, but it sounds like fun. Any idea on standing stones?

Lucid

Woo, that's a lot of restriction, but it sounds like fun. Any idea on standing stones?
Good question. Probably the Warrior stone on the way out of Helgen. Then maybe the Mage stone after taking up restoration.

Lucid

Alright! She got outta Helgen and made some coin running harmless errands for people. Made it to level 3 having leveled up in speech, blocking, one-handed, light armor, archery, and restoration. Is now welcomed at Jorrvaskr and has a place to eat and sleep without going broke. Has some decent-ish leather armor. I'll see how long I can stick to plan.

JoeReese

Forgive me if I say something you already know, but do you know about the free training?

Lucid

Hmmm... Sounds to me like you might like this build I've found and been meaning to play but never got around to...

I present to you, The Servant of All..
http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group...rum/topics/character-build-the-servant-of-all

I like that build! I'll keep that in my pocket for future use, I don't think it's quite right for Ysela. She has already killed hostile bandits and crafted armor and weapons. She also fell under Raloff's spell and has strong Stormcloak sympathies.

I would start the build you linked with an older character who has knowingly chosen the patron of Mara path. Ysela's not "good" with a purpose like I think a "servant of all" would be. She's just young, unskilled, scared, and trying to align the new events in her life with her moral compass. The restrictions above are my rules for her, not hers for herself. She'll stumble into those preferences as the game unfolds.

Lucid

Forgive me if I say something you already know, but do you know about the free training?

Please enlighten me. Aside from training in exchange for doing favors for people, all the methods I know for free training would be deemed dishounorable by Ysela.

JoeReese

Starting with Faendal in Riverwood, you can acquire a few followers who are also trainers. The difference is that you can pay them to train and then take the money back out of their inventory. Whether that's dishonorable depends on whether you look at it as cheating them or just as a necessary or script-saving game function to facilitate the free aspect of it. I do know if you get them to train you while not your follower, they keep the money. The way it was presented to me, and I don't remember where I read it, was as a favor for their friend/patron/etc.

Faendal can train you up to level 50 in Archery. If your Nord is already a companion, if she desires to follow the quest line to the "end" all the companions will be available as followers. At that point, Athis can train you up to 75 in one-handed, Njada up to 75 in block, Farkas with heavy armor, and Vilkas with two-handed.

It has come in very handy for me so far.

JoeReese

To ease the burden of conscience, though, I do make sure all my followers are well outfitted, including former followers. With my khajiit, my current character, I am using Njada as a follower, but I have upsmithed Farkas and Vilkas, as well as provided Faendal with a full set of Elven / Gilded. I return every now and again, dismiss my follower and take him over to the smithy to upgrade his gear. Whenever I reach new enchanting levels, as money permits, I give the others to my former followers. They wash your back with training and you wash theirs with gear.

Early on, you can ask Farengar in Dragons Reach if he's the only wizard in town. He'll mention the alchemist, Arcadia, and ask you to deliver something for her. When you do, most items in her shop change from steal to take. It feels a little weird at first, cleaning out her ingredient stock and her minor potions, but I make up for it later. As I start to build coin, I begin buying up her whole ingredient list instead of taking it. If I have something to sell that she can't afford I'll usually give it to her anyway, and in late game I have dropped high dollar potions on her just because.

She's kept me alive when I couldn't afford much, and now that I can, I'm making up for it.

Lucid

Thanks. I've done the free training through followers on other builds, but I don't think I will this time.

I've done the frost salts to Arcadia and the sword delivery from Adrianne. I'll probably keep earning money by running errands and selling harvested ingredients and leather for awhile. Ysela's not motivated by coin, unlike my naughtier characters :)

I'm a big fan of Faendal as a follower, and have taken him on with most of my characters and made him very wealthy when we part ways. But I don't think that Ysela would want to travel with an elf.

Lucid

I'm really enjoying this character. Using only restoration magic, self created restorative potions and limited archery makes her SO different than my typical characters. The lack of stealing and killing is also a tad different for me. I'm not finding myself held back by the restrictions I've placed on her, yet.

Lucid

After I began the Companions quest Proving Honor:

-Ysela: "I'm so grateful to have been welcomed here at Jorrvaskr! I've never felt like a part of something like this before"
-Farkas: "..."
-Ysela: "So I guess you'll be my shield-brother, and we're going to find some pieces of Ysgramor's weapon or something"
-Farkas: "My brother Vilkas is a better talker than me, he should be around here someplace"
-Ysela: "I promised Danica that I would do this thing for her. It doesn't look like it's too far from here, I'll show you on the map. Want to go with me?"
-Ysela: "Do you know what a hargraven is? I've never heard of them before. I guess they have something that we need to get back. Won't it be great to see the Gildergreen beautiful and blooming in town again, we'll be able to see it from Jorrvaskr!"
-Ysela: "and the Jarl asked me to pick something up for him. It's got to do with the dragon I saw at Helgen, it sounds important. It looks like it's kind of on the way"
-Farkas: "We should get going"

And that's how I came to have an unwilling, essential follower for The Blessings of Nature, Bleak Falls Barrow, and Dragon Rising as a level 6 character.

She's a little freaked out by Farkas' revelation in Dustman's Cairn, and split town after completing the quest. She's on her own heading for Rorikstead now, seeking to see the origin of the thief from Helgen and "Ragnar the Rad".

For the record: Maurice was killed by an assassin.

Lucid

Well, I haven't abandoned this character yet - she's made it to level 31 and has just landed in Sovngarde. I managed to get her through Skuldafn without getting my ass handed to me. That was no easy feat without enchanted armor of any sort, with only potions that she created herself, and only restoration magic.

I meditated on "Fus" with Paarthurnax before going, to reduce the impact of Draugr Deathlord shouts against me. I lured them out one at a time and ran away, then hit them with fire breath, shot a few arrows into them while they were on fire, ran in and hacked at them with my sword, then ran away using "Close Wounds". Save/repeat :)

I have to disclose this is only the 2nd time I'll finish the main quest. I haven't done it since my first character, because I hate Blackreach. All of my characters since then have been specifically focused and not Alduin slayers.

Lucid

Spent the morning running around Sovngarde naked. As I was swimming/bathing in the beautiful blue waters, Tsun came wading in after me. I guess he liked what he saw ;)

Lucid

Ysela married Ulfric Stormcloak today. It's the first time I've used that particular mod. It's pretty great to have a follower who uses Unrelenting Force and Disarm shouts. He uses them a lot and I need to get better at staying out of his way. I guess this is what my followers usually think about me.

His stats favor heavy armor, so I guess I'll need to get him out of his Jarl's outfit and into some nordic carved (or similar) before I activate DB and head to Solstheim.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Ysela married Ulfric Stormcloak today. It's the first time I've used that particular mod. It's pretty great to have a follower who uses Unrelenting Force and Disarm shouts. He uses them a lot and I need to get better at staying out of his way. I guess this is what my followers usually think about me.

His stats favor heavy armor, so I guess I'll need to get him out of his Jarl's outfit and into some nordic carved (or similar) before I activate DB and head to Solstheim.
From what I've seen, maybe you should just leave him out completely. :)