Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LegateFasendil

Imperial Legate
This world is messed up. But, its a world we can relate to. The Elder Scrolls has always been popular, but Skyrim is popular with folk who aren't necessarily RPG sorts of people. Something I appreciate most about the Elder Scrolls is that despite it being a fantasy adventure, it doesn't stray too far away from the realm of realism, staying well in sight. After all, every great fiction did have a nugget of truth.

That being said, I dislike Ulfric. However, here I am supporting the Stormcloaks. I used to roleplay on the forums (on posts that weren't really RP-able such as this) as a Khajiit, and despite not being allowed in Nord cities the Khajiit still rolled Stormcloak. I mean, yeah the racism of Ulfric is pretty bad, but want to know what? Khajiit caravans aren't allowed in Imperial held cities either, so neither side really fights for you if you're from Elsweyr.

Infact, there is a certain Jarl who openly says he knows Ulfric just wants the Throne, and despite this, the Jarl supports the Stormcloaks. Ulfric, as charming an ass as any bigot may be, isn't the reason why every Stormcloak fights. To oppose the Stormcloaks because of one man, even the man in charge, is a sign of biased fact to begin with. For example, not all Americans are warmongering hateful people. Their leaders may be, but not the person themselves. That can be said about the average German in Nazi Germany (especially Nazi Germany). Hitler forced the Army and Luftwaffe to use the Hitler salute rather than the traditional salute. The Navy, however, was able to Convince Hitler to let them maintain their traditional salute as the head of the Navy was not a Nazi nor ever became one and wanted to keep the politics and the branch separate.

The argument has been made that Skyrim doesn't have the resources to be a nation by itself, but Westminster said the same thing about Scotland this year concerning their 20 year oil supply really being a 120 year oil supply. Well, Ulfric isn't Hitler by any means. He is a racist, but he hasn't made any death camps yet. Skyrim has its own people and culture, rather different than the Cyrodiilic folk to the south. They have their own customs and ways, their own style of life. If you're willing to kill a Nord because they share Ulfric's beliefs of a free Skyrim, welcome to worship and live as they please, then who are you to say no?

Hey tough guy ~ I'm astounded at this post. This is perhaps, the best defense I've ever seen of the Stormcloaks. And I've seen a lot. Most of it comes off as a mixture of sour grapes and urine combination, but this is good, real good.

No, I wish both sides could have found peace or some sort of common ground and just worked out perm peace solution. Alas, I understand now this is not to be and there are reasons why.

There are... so many people who I feel, need to understand this. Many Americans younger than my generation are hateful people. Everything for them *must be perfect* they're so critical of pl*ps that they didn't build and they don't understand. Yet they vote. Yeah, they all vote.

Judging by this post, I can see you've been thru the ringer too, fighting off the zombies who abuse the privilege of voicing their opinion.

As I said before, I understand why rebellions are necessary, I think the Stormcloak rebellion is necessary. Doesn't mean I want the Empire destroyed. Maybe it is because I was disappointed in Ulfric, at the path he chose... for the cause.

Remember, I went to Windhelm first in game but was conflicted over whom to support. Ulfric's aggression towards Whiterun told me all I needed to know about him. They already have Freedom, Jarl B had to step up to the plate because Ulfric took down the civilian Gov.

There's a reason why these things happen. And as much as I admire the Stormcloaks and respect what they want and can even largely sympathize with them, sometimes the cost of Freedom is too high.

Reachmen, Ulfric took away their freedom, did the same thing to Whiterun, you know it's just Ulfric likes to put everyone in their place. Not entirely unlike the Thalmor. What kind of Freedom is everyone going to have under Ulfric? What happens if someone steps out of their 'place'.

And what of Talos? Talos left the Empire to rot. He allowed them to be 'hoared' out to the Thalmor. Honestly I just can't... possibly... fathom... why anyone would even remotely consider 'worshipping' a God that abandoned them to sell their souls. I understand there's such a thing as judgement, but what did the Empire do wrong? By all indications life in the Empire was awesome before the war.

So, some people are crying foul over being unable to worship Talos, but, maybe Talos shouldn't be worshipped for a while you know? Maybe Talos should get a taste of what the 'mortal trash' is having to deal with.

I firmly believe... in this case... the Empire is the victim. And you know, the Empire didn't bat an eye, didn't back down, didn't b*tch and moan when denying the Thalmor's demands. Yet, these good and righteous Nords can't bring themselves to show a little compassion on their neighbors who fought to save them.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
And whilst I do agree Imperial holds do seem to be in better shape, I think it's harsh to judge the Jarls as the main cause of it, I mean the North and North-East of Skyrim is insanely harsh and Windhelm is in the harshest place of that region lol. In a City that is designed very closely to the Atmorans of old in such a harsh climate, I don't think it's fair to expect it to look like Falkreath which is located in one of the more propserous locations.

While Winterhold is now plops, the Holds under Ulfric's control are actually supposed to be quite prosperous.

Windhelm should be in better condition, only the Palace of the Kings is one of the original structures that remain from Atmoran times.

Windhelm is the headquarters of the East Empire Company and another shipping company owned by Nords. It is one of three port cities in Skyrim. Looking at the TESO Windhelm, it has declined dramatically. Eastmarch has a good mine at Kynesgrove, also would have large amounts of lumber if Ulfric was smart enough to send some men to work it. (All the workers took off for the war). Another mining community at Darkwater Crossing.

Dawnstar (Another port) is known for it's rich mines, perhaps the richest location in Skyrim for mining. Easily exportable, and for internal use such as weapons, armor and what not.

While Riften isn't anything special, it has a large fishing industry and meadery. The fall forest has vast amounts of wild life, meats and pelts being very useful, the pelts especially for Skyrim. The location would also be a very good spot for farming, far better than Whiterun or Haafingar (Except Rorikstead). Also has a good mining town with ebony, (Dialogue also mentions iron, and a misc quest shows quicksilver)

Life in Skyrim is harsh everywhere, but it makes strong people who aren't afraid of work. Jarls should be blamed for poor conditions in a Hold, and failure to be more proactive. The Empire has supplied them with free trade and chests of gold for their treasury for an Era, they're not lacking local means of wealth either. Sure, the Civil War takes a toll but simply expecting things to magically supply the war effort or a city is a failing.

Then again, I suppose taking in all the craftsmen and farmers etc. probably had a negative effect on the economy in the Eastern Holds.

Last edited:

Lewsean

And whilst I do agree Imperial holds do seem to be in better shape, I think it's harsh to judge the Jarls as the main cause of it, I mean the North and North-East of Skyrim is insanely harsh and Windhelm is in the harshest place of that region lol. In a City that is designed very closely to the Atmorans of old in such a harsh climate, I don't think it's fair to expect it to look like Falkreath which is located in one of the more propserous locations.

While Winterhold is now pl***, the Holds under Ulfric's control are actually supposed to be quite prosperous.

Windhelm should be in better condition, only the Palace of the Kings is one of the original structures that remain from Atmoran times.

Windhelm is the headquarters of the East Empire Company and another shipping company owned by Nords. It is one of three port cities in Skyrim. Looking at the TESO Windhelm, it has declined dramatically. Eastmarch has a good mine at Kynesgrove, also would have large amounts of lumber if Ulfric was smart enough to send some men to work it. (All the workers took off for the war). Another mining community at Darkwater Crossing.

Dawnstar (Another port) is known for it's rich mines, perhaps the richest location in Skyrim for mining. Easily exportable, and for internal use such as weapons, armor and what not.

While Riften isn't anything special, it has a large fishing industry and meadery. The fall forest has vast amounts of wild life, meats and pelts being very useful, the pelts especially for Skyrim. The location would also be a very good spot for farming, far better than Whiterun or Haafingar (Except Rorikstead). Also has a good mining town with ebony, (Dialogue also mentions iron, and a misc quest shows quicksilver)

Life in Skyrim is harsh everywhere, but it makes strong people who aren't afraid of work. Jarls should be blamed for poor conditions in a Hold, and failure to be more proactive. The Empire has supplied them with free trade and chests of gold for their treasury for an Era, they're not lacking local means of wealth either. Sure, the Civil War takes a toll but simply expecting things to magically supply the war effort or a city is a failing.
Still doesn't change the fact that Windhelm is located in an area that is constantly being battered by nature, also the City it's self isn't even bad.. It's just the Gray Quater and it's buildings that have a few holes in the floor lol. Tell me, what do you expect it to look like?

Last edited:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Still doesn't change the fact that Windhelm is located in an area that is constantly being battered by nature, also the City it's self isn't even bad.. It's just the Gray Quater and it's buildings that have a few holes in the floor lol. Tell me, what do you expect it to look like?

Windhelm is in a good location, a very beautiful location, it doesn't get battered all year round, where do you even get that from. Wouldn't be a very good port if it was.

The city is bad, and it isn't simply just the Gray Quarter. Holes in the floor? How often do you even walk around Windhelm, there are piles of rubble everywhere. http://skyrimforum.com/sf/useralbums/windhelms-state-of-disrepair.528/view

I would expect Windhelm to look like the City of Kings, the greatest city in all of Skyrim. Ulfric and his forefathers have really let it fall apart.

Windhelm_Entrance.jpg

pic-670203.png

035e1e4d-5b5d-40b3-92cd-b198f93ca418.jpg

windhelm_eso1.jpg

Windhelm just needs some loving, and care. Wooden supports wouldn't hurt, something at least.

Last edited:

Lewsean

That is perhaps the most stupid thing one could argue. "Well dur if your close to fighting the Thalmor, why would you try destroy a rebellion who is anti-Imperial and the Thalmor are behind who also threaten to tear the Empire apart"
No, the most stupid thing you can argue is the Stormcloak's being weak in one breath and the Legion in Skyrim being nothing but auxilliries, then in another saying the Stormcloaks are halting the Empire's major plans..

"No they don't care if people like them, they only care that they obey. Tyranny."
Except Ulfric's whole agenda relies on people liking him... Totally different making sure Jarls follow orders.

arresting and allowing your own citizens to be kidnapped and murdered through a law signed with your enemies is tyranny.

No, that is the cost of temporary peace. The cost it takes to rebuild and fight another day. People weren't getting kidnapped and murdered until Ulfric's "Sons of Skyrim".

Then he'll be a very crap High King when nine other races call the place home. They are his people, they're under his charge.

Skooma addict thieves, really? One Argonian with a skooma addiction = all of them? Yeah, true Stormcloak here.
Nobody's denied he fights for Nords. He is a nationalist afterall. And it's quite fine for the Empire to generalize all Nords into lawless barbarians? It's okay though, they're the big mean white guys.

Ulfric needs to get over his daddy issues in a better manner than throwing a fit to start a rebellion against Imperial rule.

"That's what started this whole war. The Empire couldn't ignore that. Once the jarls start killing each other, we're back to the bad old days."

No Jarls are killed.

Aye, many of them do want to fight. Helps when the Thalmor send them flocking to Ulfric's banner to keep the war going
I'll say it again, nobody forced any shopkeeper/farmer to fight, the people demanded war from him, not the other way around.. You should be blaming the citizens, they were the ones who wanted the war.

"My father, the Great Bear of Eastmarche, died during my imprisonment after the Markarth Incident. I his only son, forced to deliver his Eulogy via letter I had smuggled out of prison, such is the love of Titus Mede, for his subjects. When finally set free, I returned to Windhelm and was greeted by a city in mourning. At one with my own grief and anger. Clambering and angry voices, calling out for justice, for war, they sat me on the Throne, the throne of Ysgramor, the throne of my father. I only hope I can prove worthy of that honor."
A good Jarl listens to his people, Ulfric is a good Jarl.

No Nord? Or is this the Stormcloak delusional "True Nords" which is, as I've said another form of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.
Not in the TES Universe, wasn't it you who said not to compare real life to the game? Don't do it when it suits you.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
No, the most stupid thing you can argue is the Stormcloak's being weak in one breath and the Legion in Skyrim being nothing but auxilliries, then in another saying the Stormcloaks are halting the Empire's major plans..

No, that is common sense and logical. One does not invade somewhere while they're having a civil war/rebellion uprising. But thinking logically, is of course too much to expect from a Stormcloak supporter on here.

Except Ulfric's whole agenda relies on people liking him... Totally different making sure Jarls follow orders.

No it doesn't. Ulfric isn't making a democracy, he uses charisma to further his rebellion's numbers. Being High King doesn't mean people need to like him, only respect his strength. If he actually relied on people liking him, he's screwed.

Nobody's denied he fights for Nords. He is a nationalist afterall.

That is all well and good, only if you're a Nord.

And it's quite fine for the Empire to generalize all Nords into lawless barbarians? It's okay though, they're the big mean white guys.

Not at all, but most provinces feel that way about Skyrim. Jarls actually had a reputation as barbarians and uncivilized chieftains. (That was from a Redguard).

Never once said it is fine, so that one backfired.

No Jarls are killed.

Torygg was a Jarl. The exiled Jarls, they will most likely at one point be killed. Keeping them prisoner forever won't do, they're a political risk. Executing them later on would be the safest course of action, and since Ulfric and Tullius will most likely die at some point. Others have no real reason keeping them.

Come on, you can't leave them in the basement forever. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

I'll say it again, nobody forced any shopkeeper/farmer to fight, the people demanded war from him, not the other way around.. You should be blaming the citizens, they were the ones who wanted the war.

I do blame those who support the Stormcloaks, too. Of course they're not forced to fight, but it helps when the Thalmor are helping with recruitment.

But obviously it wasn't a huge number calling out for war until he killed Torygg.

A good Jarl listens to his people, Ulfric is a good Jarl.

Well they didn't place him on the throne, it was his by birth. Ulfric is a crap Jarl, listening to one race doesn't make a good Jarl. Nords calling for war isn't a new thing, in fact they probably call for war several times a day.

Not in the TES Universe, wasn't it you who said not to compare real life to the game? Don't do it when it suits you.

Yes, in the TES Universe. You don't think Nords have ever been forced to do something? Is every Nord we meet a happy person, pleased with themselves cause they do whatever they want. If that is the case, then Skyrim is indeed truly screwed.

Comparing real life cultures, as in using the Roman Empire as a valid argument in defending the TES Imperial Empire. Or comparing say Ulfric Stormcloak to Hitler, like some people do. Otherwise we just end up saying "Well we did worse things in our history, so really the Empire isn't all that bad"

If you find the "No True Scotsman" fallacy too complex and not at all in common with "True Nords" then provide an example of why that is the case. Big difference between an argument style and an entire culture from our world.

Last edited:

Rimfaxe96

No, that is common sense and logical. One does not invade somewhere while they're having a civil war/rebellion uprising. But thinking logically, is of course too much to expect from a Stormcloak supporter on here.

fist-bump-1.gif

Torygg was a Jarl. The exiled Jarls, they will most likely at one point be killed. Keeping them prisoner forever won't do, they're a political risk. Executing them later on would be the safest course of action, and since Ulfric and Tullius will most likely die at some point. Others have no real reason keeping them.

Confirmed by Balgruuf the Greater; if asked about the whereabouts of his kids while he's in exile he'll say "If the gods are merciful, they've found a safe place to hide in the city. I hope Vignar doesn't find them. He'll ask a king's ransom, I'm sure."

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
Not an official rule, but more when discussing lore. Figured I should elaborate.

So I could technically use the same arguments there that I use here? Good to know.

Obviously you do see certain traits, but our own history hardly applies. TES isn't following our own history.

Trust me, I've gathered this much. However, I am not only comparing the Romans to the Imperials. Rather, I've compared other cultures and empires in our timeline. If the effect is the same, its hard to think the cause wouldn't be somewhat similar, no?

Technically the Nords did take the Imperial City, alongside Colovian forces during the Tiber Wars.

Not the by the True Sons of Skyrim. And those Nords happen to be my favorite. ;D

I do agree they're not black and white, but our own history isn't theirs. You could compare TES to the Matrix to be honest, especially with the stuff surrounding CHIM.

Actually, I can't. I haven't seen the movie.

Not at all, but I do understand it is part of their tradition. I find Ulfric's actions, and those of his Stormcloaks to simply be akin to the strong rule over the weak. Warriors don't make the best Kings.

You're right, they make far better Emperors (such as the first Mede and Tiber Septim).

Mede did the exact same thing Tiber Septim did. Titus Mede may have been a Colovian Warlord, but how many would have considered Talos to be a barbaric warlord. Titus was a good Emperor, he proved himself on the field of battle and in politics.

Titus proved himself on the field? But Ulfric can't lead because he's a warrior! Why you picking sides all of a sudden, Mr. Pot? Is it because Highking Kettle shouted the kid into Oblivion?

Except each Khajiit caravan sells Skooma, buys stolen goods and smuggles things. That isn't prejudice, and weren't we just saying everything isn't black and white? Why would the Khajiit be right and the Nord Jarls wrong?

Sure there may be some racial thing, but there is also evidence against the Khajiit caravans.

Well, my da always told me to sell to the crowd. If you're expected to sell something, you better sell it.

Joking, of course. I admit, they do sell skooma. But how would the guards know that? Technically, they're still selling the stuff well within their hold and that could lead to arrest. But they're not. They don't have the evidence which is why they don't pursue it. All they have is a suspicion, which apparently is enough to ban them all EVERYWHERE. Besides, Ysolda seems to trust them which is at least saying there is SOMEONE in Skyrim willing to do some serious bartering with Charismatic Superiors.

Except it is short sighted reasoning, and if something were to happen to Ulfric he loses all reason to support the other Stormcloak Jarls.

Hypothetically speaking, in almost every Skyrim playthrough, there is a higher likelihood that Titus Mede will be assassinated by the Dark Brotherhood and about a fifty/fifty chance Ulfric will die. Just saying.

I'm also just saying (or rather willing to wager) that the Jarl in question actually knew Ulfric prior to him being suuuuuuuuuch an asshat. As for Titus Mede and the Empire, I think the closest he's been would be the former High King of Skyrim. He's just a Jarl, and as impressive as that may seem, he is only a glorified peasant in the eyes of an Empire. Though, this is just an assumption from a "The local tyrant is a preferred tyrant" sort of outlook.

Now, ignoring all that malarkey that has been said prior, I'm going to skip your Debate Tree and start some new points. And (as the first most point of them all) I keep wondering every now and then... what would happen if the Empire DIDN'T interfere? As in, they decided to keep Tullius in Cyrodiil along with his legion in case the Thalmor decide to pull a fast one. Would it still be Stormcloak vs Imperial? I don't think it would. Infact, I think that the Civil War would be even more depressing and less of a reason to fight for Ulfric. I'd support Elisif if it came to that, I really would. What happened to her husband was disheartening, quite tragic. Ulfric is extremely arrogant. And most of Skyrim would still be split down the middle...

Or would it? Hypothetically speaking, it would be a shame if most of the Jarls DID support Ulfric over Elisif. However, the Empire decided to intervene (because, you know... Imperial Laws > Nord Traditions). Because they did, we know that half the Jarls support Elisif's bid. But do they support her for her or her for the Empire?

After all, the Empire brings trade and goods and the sun wouldn't shine without them. Why not support the Empire?

Perhaps if Skyrim requires Cyrodiil to exist and can't stand on her own legs, then maybe it isn't Skyrim that's weak. Maybe it was Cyrodiil and her crown that made her so. Rely on Cyrodiilic food so your family may live and in return we harvest your most bloodthirsty warriors. We wouldn't have to do this, but we lost the Redguards recently so Nord shoulders will have to carry the rest of this burden.

A stark irony... I would compare this hypothesis to a moment in history, but the only thing that comes to mind is a strange alteration of "The White Man's Burden". Such is life, eh?

Ivory

Let's Player
Besides, Ysolda seems to trust them which is at least saying there is SOMEONE in Skyrim willing to do some serious bartering with Charismatic Superiors.

Ysolda is a drug dealer too though, so that's not saying much.

Lewsean

You said the rebellion isn't even worth bringing one official Legion into play, how on earth is that reason to stop invasion plans? Rome had wars on multiple fronts at all times, even during Civil War.

No it doesn't. Ulfric isn't making a democracy, he uses charisma to further his rebellion's numbers. Being High King doesn't mean people need to like him, only respect his strength. If he actually relied on people liking him, he's screwed.
No he isn't, but it's a rebellion, it would be hard to rebel if nobody liked him and didn't join his cause now would it? Same with the few Nords who join the Legion, if they didn't think the Empire were a better choice they obviously wouldn't join.

Not at all, but most provinces feel that way about Skyrim. Jarls actually had a reputation as barbarians and uncivilized chieftains. (That was from a Redguard).

Never once said it is fine, so that one backfired.
So 'racism' is acceptable as long as all people share the same view, but the Nords 'racism' too Dunmer and Argonians isn't because it's only them who feel that way?

Come on, you can't leave them in the basement forever. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

I don't care what may happen in the future, you quoted that the Jarls being killed meant the Empire had to do something, Jarls are not being killed.

Well they didn't place him on the throne, it was his by birth. Ulfric is a crap Jarl, listening to one race doesn't make a good Jarl. Nords calling for war isn't a new thing, in fact they probably call for war several times a day.

He listened to the crys of his people who demanded war for years of betrayal by the Empire, doing what his people want means he is a good Jarl.

Comparing real life cultures, as in using the Roman Empire as a valid argument in defending the TES Imperial Empire. Or comparing say Ulfric Stormcloak to Hitler, like some people do. Otherwise we just end up saying "Well we did worse things in our history, so really the Empire isn't all that bad"

If you find the "No True Scotsman" fallacy too complex and not at all in common with "True Nords" then provide an example of why that is the case. Big difference between an argument style and an entire culture from our world.

Except the Legion in TES and the Empire IS based 100% off the Romans.. From the race of the people who occupy it, to the ranks and hierarchy, equipment, formations.. I didn't say it wasn't the same, I was pointing out your choice of using real life comparisons when it suits you and bashing them when it doesn't. I've noticed you've slowly creeped into slight little personal insults over the course of this debate, how cute. :)[/QUOTE]

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Trust me, I've gathered this much. However, I am not only comparing the Romans to the Imperials. Rather, I've compared other cultures and empires in our timeline. If the effect is the same, its hard to think the cause wouldn't be somewhat similar, no?

Depend on the effect, which effects would you be referring to?

Not the by the True Sons of Skyrim. And those Nords happen to be my favorite. ;D

I found the "True Sons and Daughters of Skyrim" to actually be more Imperial than Nords of the previous titles.

You're right, they make far better Emperors (such as the first Mede and Tiber Septim).

Titus Mede wasn't just this warrior, he was good strategist in being able to secure the Imperial City with one thousand men and crushing an uprising with barely twice that. He was also behind the creation of the Penitus Oculatus.

Tiber Septim wasn't by any means a warrior. He was perhaps the most devious underhanded man born, cruel and only used people if they could serve a purpose.

Ulfric isn't by any means a good strategist, he was captured not that long after Tullius arrived. He's a good warrior, and he does have some political ability, but he's nothing compared to Tiber and Titus.

Titus proved himself on the field? But Ulfric can't lead because he's a warrior! Why you picking sides all of a sudden, Mr. Pot? Is it because Highking Kettle shouted the kid into Oblivion?

Titus proved himself both politically and military wise. Ulfric can't lead because he's single race minded, he's not overly skilled in Military achievements having been captured three times. His political skills are not too bad, but he can barely control his own city.

But how would the guards know that? Technically, they're still selling the stuff well within their hold and that could lead to arrest. But they're not. They don't have the evidence which is why they don't pursue it. All they have is a suspicion, which apparently is enough to ban them all EVERYWHERE. Besides, Ysolda seems to trust them which is at least saying there is SOMEONE in Skyrim willing to do some serious bartering with Charismatic Superiors.

They probably wouldn't have proof, else they would be arrested. Suspicion is good enough in Skyrim for the most part, the Dunmer are suspected to be Imperial spies so Galmar's brother figures he should get some men and go torture one to find out.

Jarls control who gets in their city, has nothing to do with being Imperial or Stormcloak. Khajiit are welcome in cities within Cyrodiil, there was even a Khajiit working in the Penitus Oculatus in the novels.

Khajiit caravans have a reputation for thieves, skooma dealers and smugglers. Racially based or not, they do actually sell drugs and buy stolen goods, they also smuggle. It isn't like they're completely innocent.

Hypothetically speaking, in almost every Skyrim playthrough, there is a higher likelihood that Titus Mede will be assassinated by the Dark Brotherhood and about a fifty/fifty chance Ulfric will die. Just saying.

Actually there would be a good chance Ulfric would die, same with Tullius. Since both sides can't win. Titus Mede is probably assassinated, but that doesn't matter too much. Emperors come and go all the time, they rarely have a long reign.

I'm also just saying (or rather willing to wager) that the Jarl in question actually knew Ulfric prior to him being suuuuuuuuuch an asshat.

Ulfric became a Greybeard as a child, then went off to the Great War. Year after the war, Markarth Incident. Years after that, Jarl of Windhelm and he plots his rebellion. Doubt he'd actually know Ulfric before he changed that well.

As for Titus Mede and the Empire, I think the closest he's been would be the former High King of Skyrim. He's just a Jarl, and as impressive as that may seem, he is only a glorified peasant in the eyes of an Empire. Though, this is just an assumption from a "The local tyrant is a preferred tyrant" sort of outlook.

Jarls are generally considered Kings outside of Skyrim. I wouldn't say they're glorified peasants, Skyrim is the second most important province within the Empire. Jarls would be akin to Cyrodiil Counts. Members of the Septim Dynasty were Jarls of Solitude at some point.

I keep wondering every now and then... what would happen if the Empire DIDN'T interfere? As in, they decided to keep Tullius in Cyrodiil along with his legion in case the Thalmor decide to pull a fast one. Would it still be Stormcloak vs Imperial? I don't think it would. Infact, I think that the Civil War would be even more depressing and less of a reason to fight for Ulfric. I'd support Elisif if it came to that, I really would. What happened to her husband was disheartening, quite tragic. Ulfric is extremely arrogant. And most of Skyrim would still be split down the middle...

If the Legion didn't step in, it would be the same it has been for years only worse. The Holds having skirmishes between each other. Ulfric killing Torygg however gave him the major support of the Holds around him. Legion stepped in when sides were taken.

Or would it? Hypothetically speaking, it would be a shame if most of the Jarls DID support Ulfric over Elisif. However, the Empire decided to intervene (because, you know... Imperial Laws > Nord Traditions). Because they did, we know that half the Jarls support Elisif's bid. But do they support her for her or her for the Empire?

The Empire would have stepped in to restore order, it isn't simply a case of Imperial laws > Skyrim tradition, while that is also true however. The Legion stepped in to preserve the Empire, killing the vassal of the Emperor without some form of consequence would spark various Warlords to pop up.

Perhaps if Skyrim requires Cyrodiil to exist and can't stand on her own legs, then maybe it isn't Skyrim that's weak. Maybe it was Cyrodiil and her crown that made her so. Rely on Cyrodiilic food so your family may live and in return we harvest your most bloodthirsty warriors. We wouldn't have to do this, but we lost the Redguards recently so Nord shoulders will have to carry the rest of this burden.

A stark irony... I would compare this hypothesis to a moment in history, but the only thing that comes to mind is a strange alteration of "The White Man's Burden". Such is life, eh?

Skyrim could probably stand on their own, but how the Stormcloaks went about it was clearly the wrong way. If Ulfric had asked Torygg to go for independence and he rejected then civil war could be the only option.

The Empire is on the brink of war with the Aldmeri Dominion, for Skyrim to break away through rebellion cutting the Empire up, isolating Cyrodiil from their controlled area in High Rock would mean a big loss of Imperial control. Stormcloaks will then use their resources to try build these nine armies, and making Skyrim able to stand on it's own. Meanwhile, how many Nords in the Imperial Army would simply leave? Their home just left the Empire, and they have loved ones back there who may depend on their wages which they families won't be able to get anymore since the Empire was pushed out of Skyrim.

If this were thirty years ago, alright. But on the very brink of war with the Thalmor?

You said the rebellion isn't even worth bringing one official Legion into play, how on earth is that reason to stop invasion plans? Rome had wars on multiple fronts at all times, even during Civil War.

Show me where I said this? I recall saying that Titus II isn't sending reinforcements and that Pale Pass is blocked, stopping any reinforcements anyway.

Did Rome get hit with a Great War that nearly wiped them off the face of the earth, gather their forces to fight another Empire that is equal to their ability and could match their forces. So while fighting this other Empire, they could so easily deal with an uprising at the same time that threatens to tear a third of the Empire away and cuts off the only other third? Not to mention Dragons wiping out entire Legion garrisons.

Rome wasn't fighting a force that could shoot lightning bolts out of their fl*ffing hands.

No he isn't, but it's a rebellion, it would be hard to rebel if nobody liked him and didn't join his cause now would it? Same with the few Nords who join the Legion, if they didn't think the Empire were a better choice they obviously wouldn't join.

Not everyone actually likes him, they agree with the cause. It isn't his cause, he is using it to gain the throne. You don't have to like someone to agree with them.

"I've heard some things about Ulfric I don't like, but he's right about this war and about Skyrim's future." - Ralof

Many Empire supporters don't like everything the Empire has done, they support it because they feel it is the right choice.

So 'racism' is acceptable as long as all people share the same view, but the Nords 'racism' too Dunmer and Argonians isn't because it's only them who feel that way?

Again, I didn't say racism is acceptable. You were saying it is fine for the Imperials to put all Nords into being lawless barbarians. Which I disagreed, and also pointing out those Redguards you seem to believe you can ally with feel the same.

You Stormcloaks cry on about Tullius not respecting Nords, but then go on to say the Dunmer and Argonians have to earn their respect. Why shouldn't the Nords earn Tullius' respect also?

I don't care what may happen in the future, you quoted that the Jarls being killed meant the Empire had to do something, Jarls are not being killed.

Torygg was a Jarl, and he was killed. The Empire stepped in after his death. The other Jarls aren't being killed yet, but that also stems from a gameplay with how the Civil War was supposed to be. The enemy being able to take your cities, if you were careless you would have six different rulers of a single city dying within the same year.

He listened to the crys of his people who demanded war for years of betrayal by the Empire, doing what his people want means he is a good Jarl.

Ulfric fueled their passions, but of course there were those who called out for war. Their Jarl had died and the heir was arrested, finally set free. His grandfather could have done the exact same thing, and have a rebellion. The want to push out the Empire isn't new, there were those who wanted to do it prior to the Great War even.

But Nords always call out for war, it is when they stop, you start to worry. :p

Except the Legion in TES and the Empire IS based 100% off the Romans..

Aye, but does it mean they're anything like the Roman Empire. Though if we're getting into it, the Empire got their "Roman" style from the Akaviri. So the Akaviri are the real 100% Romans.

Could also argue Arena Argonians were Roman.

From the race of the people who occupy it

Race of people? The Empire is made up of all races, and the Legion is filled with all different races.

to the ranks and hierarchy, equipment, formations..

Which came from the Akaviri reforms. Though in Morrowind the Legion was a lot like Knights, but them having Roman style doesn't mean Rome's history has anything to do with TES.

I didn't say it wasn't the same, I was pointing out your choice of using real life comparisons when it suits you and bashing them when it doesn't.

Alright fine, I'll concede, we'll use real life comparisons and I'll accept them as being valid. I'll be fair, because if I was to use an argument style found in our world, then it wouldn't be right if others aren't allowed to use cultures and the downfall of Rome as evidence the TES Empire is doing the exact same.

I never saw it unti now, obviously the Stormcloaks will win because Ulfric is really Arminius and the Stormcloak rebellion is the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest. Tullius is like Publius Quinctilius Varus and will lose his legions. Because there are minor similarities we can find within cultures of our world and events. So they must be 100% if they're somewhat similar.

The Akaviri must really be Japanese in culture and tradition, because they have a Katana and therefor are 100% based off the Japanese Samurai.

Khajiit culture must be Romani, cause in Skyrim they remind us of gypsies.

I've noticed you've slowly creeped into slight little personal insults over the course of this debate, how cute. :)

Aye, I'll throw in a return insult always. Pointing it out is cute too, especially since you do the same. However, my overt insults aren't nearly as clever as the subtle ones I throw around.

That is what happens if you debate politics, don't take it too personal. Raijin and I have good insults for each other when debating the Civil War, but he's probably my favorite member on these forums.

Last edited:

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Ulfric became a Greybeard as a child, then went off to the Great War. Year after the war, Markarth Incident. Years after that, Jarl of Windhelm and he plots his rebellion. Doubt he'd actually know Ulfric before he changed that well.

Nowhere did Ulfric said that he became a Greybeard. He trained with them, as a student, not as a greybeard. Theirs a difference between becoming a greybeard and being a student of theirs. He was going to become a Greybeard until he decided to chooce a different path. He couldn't just ignore what was going on from below.

Raijin

Aye, I'll throw in a return insult always. Pointing it out is cute too, especially since you do the same. However, my overt insults aren't nearly as clever as the subtle ones I throw around.

That is what happens if you debate politics, don't take it too personal. Raijin and I have good insults for each other when debating the Civil War, but he's probably my favorite member on these forums.

Politics....

Where things get heated up!

GeneralTullius

Nowhere did Ulfric said that he became a Greybeard. He trained with them, as a student, not as a greybeard. Theirs a difference between becoming a greybeard and being a student of theirs. He was going to become a Greybeard until he decided to chooce a different path. He couldn't just ignore what was going on from below.

Question for you. Is it possible Ulfric failed at becoming a Greybeard?

For example. Consider this 'duel' between High King Torygg and Jarl Ulfric. Who brings an automatic rifle to a Melee contest? Shouting Torygg apart before sticking his sword in whatever was left of Torygg, prob rolling on the ground, screaming, 'twitching in agony' in front of the entire royal court, not to mention his wife.

Would this not, afterall, be rather... unbecoming? of the 'Way of the Voice'?

Furthermore, why only one duel? It seems reasonable to suggest that many more lives could have at least been saved had Ulfric repeatedly dueled his opponents, same as with Pelinal Whitestrake. I don't recall Pelinal ever answering a personal challenge with an army. Unless you consider Pelinal a 'One man Army', of course.

Last edited:

GeneralTullius

fist-bump-1.gif

Confirmed by Balgruuf the Greater; if asked about the whereabouts of his kids while he's in exile he'll say "If the gods are merciful, they've found a safe place to hide in the city. I hope Vignar doesn't find them. He'll ask a king's ransom, I'm sure."

Question for the Imperial Guard on this thread.

I've found the discussion interesting thus far however there is a matter of interest worth further evaluation.

While there are just as many reasons for the Empire's survival as opposed to the Stormcloaks, assume the Empire wins and gets everything it wants out of Skyrim.

Unless there's change, what's to stop another Ulfric from rising up? You see, it's not enough to just wipe out the Stormcloaks, someone has to start dealing with the real problem: Thalmor influence in the Empire.

My solution to this was to make a big deal to everyone about joining the Legion and then gain notoriety by stamping out Thalmor. Then they could say, "well it's really the Empire doing this for Skyrim behind the scenes."

But what about it? The Stormcloaks have a point, although they are not the only rebellion in Skyrim, there's rebellion all over Skyrim. While I have my reasons for supporting the Empire, Empire needs change to prevent another rebellion and at some point, to understand the problem, Empire will need to see things Ulfric's way. Which Gen Tullius seems to have done after The Battle for Windhelm.

It's not enough to defeat the Stormcloaks, call them 'illogical', 'fools', 'commies' etc... the Stormcloaks are Imperial citizens and unless something is not done to revive the lack of representation in the Imperial legal system, it won't matter whether the Empire wins or otherwise loses because another rebellion or more likely, 500 other rebellions will arise to finish what Ulfric started. Defeating the Stormcloaks is not as simple as some might believe.

Last edited:

Raijin

Question for you. Is it possible Ulfric failed at becoming a Greybeard?

For example. Consider this 'duel' between High King Torygg and Jarl Ulfric. Who brings an automatic rifle to a Melee contest? Shouting Torygg apart before sticking his sword in whatever was left of Torygg, prob rolling on the ground, screaming, 'twitching in agony' in front of the entire royal court, not to mention his wife.

Would this not, afterall, be rather... unbecoming? of the 'Way of the Voice'?

Furthermore, why only one duel? It seems reasonable to suggest that many more lives could have at least been saved had Ulfric repeatedly dueled his opponents, same as with Pelinal Whitestrake. I don't recall Pelinal ever answering a personal challenge with an army. Unless you consider Pelinal a 'One man Army', of course.

Not sure I understand your question. I don't think you can fail at becoming a Greybeard. Either you agree with their way, and their pacifism traditions or not. Ulfric on the other hand couldn't just sit up there, and do nothing while chaos is happening below.

http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x00075097

Like Delphine said "If they had their way, you'd do nothing but sit up on their mountain with them and talk to the sky, or whatever it is they do."

While it may seem unjustified to having Ulfric, the much stronger and the prime of his time, go up and shout Torygg to the ground thus paralyzing him prior to stabbing him in the heart... The fact to the matter it is a duel, and it's not suppose to be easy but hard. You're fighting to the death. That is how it goes. Unfortunately that is part of the Nordic culture where citizens who think they can better rule the country, can use the Nordic traditions to legally challenge their King to the fight of the death.

In Ulfric's defense he is right about one thing.

http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x000c347e
http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x000c3481

"I killed Torygg to prove our wretched condition. How is the High King supposed to be the defender of Skyrim, if he can't even defend himself?"

If Torygg was easily taken out... how is he able to defend all of Skyrim if he was unable to defend himself? He was too busy indulging his wife rather than to rule his country.

http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x000c0fd3

A citizen of Solitude, Sayma, even acknowledge Ulfric's point when he said "He was a puppet-king of the Empire , not a High King of Skyrim." on her dialogue to the player "And between you and me? He wasn't even that good a king. All of those rambling speeches about the Empire this, and the Empire that..."

GeneralTullius

Tough break huh? So we single out High King Torygg for blame. Who was King for barely all of what, a year?

Also, I hate to ask this, can someone, anyone, please like one of my posts? I can't reply to your conversations with Links until that is taken care of. Might giver stronger consideration to your side as well! ;)

Raijin

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts