Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Star Gazer

Did he ever say he could kill anyone to win? No. He only plans to fight until he has freedom.

Templar of Talos

Bane of Elves and Vampires
And Picking only Jarls who support you isn't corrupt?

No, that just tactics in war. They supported him because of one reason, to get rid of the Empire who allowed the Dagger-Eared Nazi's to outlaw the worship of Talos. Ulfric may not be King material but he's a good military leader. As I said, who is to say he'll be mooted in as High King? It could be anyone of the Jarls. Vignaar Grey-Mane would do well. I prefer Whiterun to Windhelm to be honest

Star Gazer

I personally love Ulfric's character. He has some of the best quotes, as do most of the rebel leaders.

DWFII

And Picking only Jarls who support you isn't corrupt?

This is silly.

You can't understand what this kind of feudalism means and make such statements. Every high king that ever was in real life feudal societies became King (aside from inheriting the throne) either because they had all the leigemen (the Moot) behind them or enough to beat the rest.

And yes, those that resisted often died for their resistance.

The very act of resisting is a challenge to the putative high king as to his fitness to lead.

Elysif (and you) may think she's been spared because she promises to support Ulfric...and I wouldn't suggest it's not partially true. But given who she is (Toryggs' widow) and what she's been doing and saying as Ulfric comes into his own...the clear logic says that either he's a fool to spare her or compassionate and merciful and doesn't think she represents a threat.

Probably all of those.

But Tulius or whoever becomes High King or consul, if the Imperials win, is not going to be as merciful...or foolish.

Templar of Talos

Bane of Elves and Vampires
I see you're point. But lets face it, What do you think Tiber Septim/Talos would say to Titus Mede II if they met? Allowing the Thalmor to forsake his name out of cowardice?

The Empire was strong at the time of Uriel Septim, what would you think would have happened if the Thalmor attacked the 3E Empire? The Thalmor would have been slaughtered?

The Empire that Tiber Septim founded was glorious, now it's... Well not Glorious.

Mahone

I see you're point. But lets face it, What do you think Tiber Septim/Talos would say to Titus Mede II if they met? Allowing the Thalmor to forsake his name out of cowardice?

The Empire was strong at the time of Uriel Septim, what would you think would have happened if the Thalmor attacked the 3E Empire? The Thalmor would have been slaughtered?

The Empire that Tiber Septim founded was glorious, now it's... Well not Glorious.
And it won't be without a good Septim, which presumably are all gone.

J

Jeremius

^mine's not, he is the son of a legionary and a farmer. his grandfather was a blade...

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
He cares about the people of Whiterun (the entire hold, not the city) more than the other Jarls do, he proved this by sending troops to Riverwood AS SOON as Dovahkiin informed him aboutt he dragon, ignoring Avenicci's political bullplops about the Jarl of Falkreath seeing it as a provocation. He treats his guardsmen well ("Well done, head back to the barracks for some food and rest, you've earned it"). He stands firm by his words by allowing you to capture a dragon in his palace despite the obvious dangers. Throughout the main quest he prove to be invaluable. He'd make a great high king if you ask me, better than Ulfric or Torygg. As for the Empire, I don't think he would take the Empire's rule as lightly as Torygg, he would have questioned the Thalmor's prescence in Skyrim maybe drawn up an agreement to keep them out of Skyrim and I do believe he would have stuck to his guns.

You're right he does care about the people of whiterun, but what has he done to the rest of the province? He said it himself that he doesn't care who the imperials want to execute when you first approach him in Dragon's reach. If he truly cared then he would've showed concern, and just not assume that you have a criminal history. He passes down judgment on you like if you're some hard core criminal that deserved to be executed when he doesn't even know the facts. He sent guards to Riverwood because it's part of Whiterun Hold. It's in his justification.

I'm afraid if He became High King nothing will change in Skyrim. He will continue to bow down to the empire and the ban of Talos will continue to exists, since the empire are the thralls of the Thalmor.
Ulfric is at least doing something, what about Balgruuf? What has he done to the people of skyrim and not just in his hold?

And as for the 'Pulling a Gun during a Sword fight' remark. Yes, it was unfair, as I stated in my last post. But again, Toyrgg accepted the challenge. It's common knowlege that Ulfric was trained in the use of a Thu'um, if Toyrrg had any common sense he would have declined. Toyrrg was a weak High King, weather or not he admired Ulfric or not, Ulfric saw him as a liability and followed Nord traditions to have him removed.

When 2 parties are fighting to the death under the condition that both have agreed to fight then using any kind of weapons or a tool is acceptable. Since Ulfric followed the Nord tradition to have Torygg removed using the Thu'um was allowed, since it's a Nordic thing.

It's easy to see that it wasn't a fair fight because people realize just how weak and vulnerable Toyrgg was. Why should Ulfric have to lower his standards to accommodate a weak Kings fighting level? It's like downgrading your weapons and armor to make a fight "fair".

The true question lays a head... How come Toyrgg didn't better himself by going to the Greybeards to help teach him the Thu'um? Any Nord can learn the Thu'um if they have enough dedication and ambition according to Ulfric. Why did he allow himself to be this weak to be defeated so fast by one of his citizens?