Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
If we had this conversation in my mother language I would kick ass :Dragonborn:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Did you read my post? I'll post it up for the third time. Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one? | Page 412 | Skyrim Forums

When Titus Mede II ascended the throne in 4E 168, he inherited a weakened empire. The glory days of the Septims were a distant memory.

On the 30th of Frostfall, 4E 171, the Aldmeri Dominion sent an ambassador to the Imperial City with a gift in a covered cart and an ultimatum for the new Emperor. The long list of demands included staggering tributes, disbandment of the Blades, outlawing the worship of Talos, and ceding large sections of Hammerfell to the Dominion. Despite the warnings of his generals of the Empire's military weakness, Emperor Titus Mede II rejected the ultimatum. The Thalmor ambassador upended the cart, spilling over a hundred heads on the floor: every Blades agent in Summerset and Valenwood. And so began the Great War which would consume the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion for the next five years. - Skyrim:The Great War - UESPWiki

If Titus Mede II inherited a weaken Empire why didn't he accepted the terms first time? Why did he rejected them thus causing the Great war?

How can you say that Ulfric is a child who doesn't understand when he was right there as a legion soldier fighting this war that could've been prevented had the Emperor signed the WGC in the first place?

In Ulfric's exact quote "I would gladly retire from the world were such a day to dawn." Until that day comes will either be when he dies fighting against the Aldmeri dominion or the second great war ends, and human kind can once again can thrive over their achievements of domination over Tamriel.

The glory days of the Septims is greatly over used. They had some of the worst Emperors known to the age of Man, political infighting, wars between provinces under their control, even Civil wars between the Septims themselves. Every Emperor is different in what they do, Imperial authority will decline on some Emperors or it will grow. The Mede's actually took a shattered Empire and reforged it into glory, they have faced legions of undead and a floating city.

Titus Mede II was Emperor for about three years before the Great War broke out, he was advised by his Generals that the Imperial army was weakened as only three of the four provinces of the Empire were doing well, Hammerfell was having infighting. The fact he didn't accept is 'However, there is a great difference between agreeing to such terms under the mere threat of war, and agreeing to them at the end of a long and destructive war. No part of the Empire would have accepted these terms in 4E 171, dictated by the Thalmor at swords-point. Titus II would have faced civil war.' - The Great War

Ulfric was captured sometime before the fall of the Imperial city, he was allowed to escape by the Thalmor. The fact he was in Skyrim with a Militia before any of the Legions had returned home is a mystery to me, did he abandon his post? The Emperor doesn't dictate the terms of the Treaty nor can the Emperor sign it by himself, not without the Elder Council and more than likely the agreement of Torygg's father who was current High King and the Kings and Queens of High Rock. Hammerfell didn't agree which is why they are currently independent and have their own Treaty with the Thalmor known as the Second Treaty of Stros M'kai. Should we also dislike Hammerfell since they didn't invade the Summerset isles?

Considering it was Ulfric who caused the Thalmor to start dragging people off in the night, that the Talos ban was more enforced. Everyone still had their shrine to Talos they did not care, it was only when Ulfric starting screaming about it did the Thalmor crack down and the dragging people off happened to those secretly worshiping. He created the reason many people are joining the Stormcloaks, every Nord killed for worshiping Talos is on Ulfric's head. Ulfric has a way with words, that really do not mask his actions. The way many Stormcloaks seem to view him, you'd think he was the second coming of Talos himself.

Ulfric and any traitor Legionnaires are nothing more than Oath breakers. They swore and oath to the Emperor and the Officers of the Empire. It is ironic, it means Ulfric swore and oath of obedience to men like Tullius.

Many would call the Empire the Thalmor puppets, amusing since it is the Empire preparing for war against the Thalmor and it is the Empire keeping the Dominion out of Skyrim, if you think a few Thalmor agents are bad, imagine thousands of Aldmeri Dominion soldiers, there would be no taking prisoners. Many really go way out of proportion when talking about what the Thalmor are allowed to do. They can't just arrest any citizen they like, they need proof of Talos worship or if they are searching for any remaining Blades. Though the Thalmor have been arresting more people, more often since Ulfric started going on about open Talos worship

"And so, the open worship of Talos has been outlawed in Skyrim, and actively enforced in those cities where the Thalmor have a tangible presence. Cities, I might add, in which the Empire has the most secure foothold. It was in one of these cities - Markarth, to be exact - where I made the conscious decision to defy the ban on Talos worship. And my defiance came in the form of - what else? - a song. For what bard who has spent time writing and rehearsing an original work can possible refrain from performing it? So perform it I did. Not once, not twice, but seven times. Once a day, for an entire week." - Flight from the Thalmor

Considering that man was able to go on about Talos for an entire week, just shows how much the Thalmor have stepped up their Talos worship hunting with the rise of the great Ulfric Stormcloak.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I disagree. While it may appear Ulfric is doing all of this just to earn himself the mantle of High king hes also doing this to free Skyrim from imperial shackles. Hes fighting for Skyrims independence so his people can once again openly worship their preferred god, Talos, without fear of prosecution by getting arrested by the Thalmor (Such authority given by the Empire mind you), and being tossed into their prisons. The Empire isn't doing a damn thing to save their citizens from the hands of the Thalmor, and Ulfric knows first hand what the Thalmor are capable of doing because he was among those who were tortured by these elves. Our culture is so much different than the culture of planet Nirin, and that is for damn sure. Only the strong should rule, and that's exactly why The Aldmeri Dominion wants to be the rightful rulers, and their doing a successful job demonstrating their domination over the Empire. If you carefully listen his emotional "Why I fight" speech:

Ulfric: "I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, who's [sic] names I heard whispered in their last breaths. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight for my people impoverished to pay the debts of an Empire too weak to rule them, yet brands them criminals for wanting to rule themselves! I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing. I fight... because I must."

I'm going to repeat what I said on Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one? | Page 406 | Skyrim Forums

Well apparently Torygg respected Ulfric greatly and may have went for independence had Ulfric simply asked him, that doesn't scream fighting for independence when killing someone who you could of used to go for independence, there might not of been a huge civil war, if he had spoken with the High King about it and the High King rejected it, then yeah okay killing him may be the way, sadly he only killed Torygg as a message to the other Jarls. You can actually go for those things peacefully it seems, "Forsworn ruled their lands fairly, and were making overtures to be recognized by the Empire as a legitimate kingdom."

Well actually the thing about Talos, is not every Nord worships him, some do. It doesn't make him their preferred God, it makes him a well known God. I'm sure many of the Nords would worship; Shor God of the Underworld, Tsun Nordic God of Trials against Adversity, Stuhn God of Ransom Shield-thane to Shor, Kyne widow of Shor, a favored goddess of warriors, Mara the handmaiden to Kyne. Maybe even Sai God of Luck.

The Empire is doing many things to save their citizens, perhaps the fact the Imperial army is tied down on the Thalmor borders? Preparing for war and keeping the Dominion out of Skyrim. Only the strong should rule? That does sound great... in theory. The fact Ulfric has brought back an old tradition means that you can challenge the High King, challenge Jarls for right of their title. How many hands shall Jarlship and even High King will change hands? Hell a Bandit chief could probably challenge a Jarl and become the rightful ruler, until they get killed and so on. Be the war of succession all over again.

Good speeches don't make it better, the fact Ulfric is a great public speaker is what makes him more dangerous. He knows what to say to get people to follow him, how to please a crowd. He comes across to me as someone who has practiced these speeches to the extent he has become lost in the display he gives off to the crowd. He truly believes he does no wrong, he doesn't see what he is doing. He has become so fixed in his cause that his actions speak of someone who would burn the world around him, because he believes he is good and right.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
The glory days of the Septims is greatly over used. They had some of the worst Emperors known to the age of Man, political infighting, wars between provinces under their control, even Civil wars between the Septims themselves. Every Emperor is different in what they do, Imperial authority will decline on some Emperors or it will grow. The Mede's actually took a shattered Empire and reforged it into glory, they have faced legions of undead and a floating city.

Titus Mede II was Emperor for about three years before the Great War broke out, he was advised by his Generals that the Imperial army was weakened as only three of the four provinces of the Empire were doing well, Hammerfell was having infighting. The fact he didn't accept is 'However, there is a great difference between agreeing to such terms under the mere threat of war, and agreeing to them at the end of a long and destructive war. No part of the Empire would have accepted these terms in 4E 171, dictated by the Thalmor at swords-point. Titus II would have faced civil war.' - The Great War

Ulfric was captured sometime before the fall of the Imperial city, he was allowed to escape by the Thalmor. The fact he was in Skyrim with a Militia before any of the Legions had returned home is a mystery to me, did he abandon his post? The Emperor doesn't dictate the terms of the Treaty nor can the Emperor sign it by himself, not without the Elder Council and more than likely the agreement of Torygg's father who was current High King and the Kings and Queens of High Rock. Hammerfell didn't agree which is why they are currently independent and have their own Treaty with the Thalmor known as the Second Treaty of Stros M'kai. Should we also dislike Hammerfell since they didn't invade the Summerset isles?

Considering it was Ulfric who caused the Thalmor to start dragging people off in the night, that the Talos ban was more enforced. Everyone still had their shrine to Talos they did not care, it was only when Ulfric starting screaming about it did the Thalmor crack down and the dragging people off happened to those secretly worshiping. He created the reason many people are joining the Stormcloaks, every Nord killed for worshiping Talos is on Ulfric's head. Ulfric has a way with words, that really do not mask his actions. The way many Stormcloaks seem to view him, you'd think he was the second coming of Talos himself.

Ulfric and any traitor Legionnaires are nothing more than Oath breakers. They swore and oath to the Emperor and the Officers of the Empire. It is ironic, it means Ulfric swore and oath of obedience to men like Tullius.

Many would call the Empire the Thalmor puppets, amusing since it is the Empire preparing for war against the Thalmor and it is the Empire keeping the Dominion out of Skyrim, if you think a few Thalmor agents are bad, imagine thousands of Aldmeri Dominion soldiers, there would be no taking prisoners. Many really go way out of proportion when talking about what the Thalmor are allowed to do. They can't just arrest any citizen they like, they need proof of Talos worship or if they are searching for any remaining Blades. Though the Thalmor have been arresting more people, more often since Ulfric started going on about open Talos worship

"And so, the open worship of Talos has been outlawed in Skyrim, and actively enforced in those cities where the Thalmor have a tangible presence. Cities, I might add, in which the Empire has the most secure foothold. It was in one of these cities - Markarth, to be exact - where I made the conscious decision to defy the ban on Talos worship. And my defiance came in the form of - what else? - a song. For what bard who has spent time writing and rehearsing an original work can possible refrain from performing it? So perform it I did. Not once, not twice, but seven times. Once a day, for an entire week." - Flight from the Thalmor

Considering that man was able to go on about Talos for an entire week, just shows how much the Thalmor have stepped up their Talos worship hunting with the rise of the great Ulfric Stormcloak.
All of the greatest empires in the world faced those things, or something similar, but were still great. There is no denying the Empire was not up to its full power, especially not with all but two blades slain. The fact remains that all those lives were lost in what was effectively little more than a PR stunt. Ulfric was young and headstrong, probably immature at that time. His actions were very spontaneous. I find his actions no surprise. He was led to believe he BETRAYED HIS EMPIRE. That equates to nothing to lose. And we are not tAlking about Hammerfell. It is irrelevant as it is no longer part of the Empire, and has its own free will. As for Ulfric, his actions were the actions of a youth with fire in his heart. He has matured. Now his actions are measured risks, he is playing a deadly game.

Staff member
*sorry if my English is not correct*

When the Legion was outnumbered by the Thalmor they surrendered. They had no choice. They made the decision to save the men who survived and to send them back to their families. Surrendering doesn't mean they agree with the Thalmor - they just need time to rebuild their strength so they can kick some Thalmor asses.

Ulfric is not the true high king of Skyrim because he's like a child that doesn't understand he can't get everything he wants. Sometimes it takes a long time to achieve your goals. If it was up to him he would fight until there was no man left, even when it was obvious the Aldmeri Dominion would win the war. He would make unnecessary sacrifices.

A good leader is not a leader who won every battle, it is a leader who also failed and learned. For failing is the best lesson in life. It can make a man wise.

The Legion failed and learned. Ulfric failed and refused to acknowledge. Therefor he will not learn.
The point is that the Empire accomplished almost nothing in the Great War except for signing the treaty anyways but without facing civil wars. The war was more of a PR stunt than anything. As for Ulfric being a child?! Wtf mate?! He is a grown man who has the intellectual ability to bind hundreds to his cause. Not to mention that he has come a long way since the Great War. He has the capacity to learn from his mistakes, he is no fool. Maybe back in the Great War he would have fought to the last man, but not now. He only maintains such things because his soldiers have the same mind set.

Well, you're sweethearted for caring. :p

Me, I just tear 'em all limb from limb. I'm a Dangerous Nan McGrew in this thread. :cool: ...I love Helen Kane. <3
He is my comrade! My brother!

Staff member
Well apparently Torygg respected Ulfric greatly and may have went for independence had Ulfric simply asked him, that doesn't scream fighting for independence when killing someone who you could of used to go for independence, there might not of been a huge civil war, if he had spoken with the High King about it and the High King rejected it, then yeah okay killing him may be the way, sadly he only killed Torygg as a message to the other Jarls. You can actually go for those things peacefully it seems, "Forsworn ruled their lands fairly, and were making overtures to be recognized by the Empire as a legitimate kingdom."

Well actually the thing about Talos, is not every Nord worships him, some do. It doesn't make him their preferred God, it makes him a well known God. I'm sure many of the Nords would worship; Shor God of the Underworld, Tsun Nordic God of Trials against Adversity, Stuhn God of Ransom Shield-thane to Shor, Kyne widow of Shor, a favored goddess of warriors, Mara the handmaiden to Kyne. Maybe even Sai God of Luck.

The Empire is doing many things to save their citizens, perhaps the fact the Imperial army is tied down on the Thalmor borders? Preparing for war and keeping the Dominion out of Skyrim. Only the strong should rule? That does sound great... in theory. The fact Ulfric has brought back an old tradition means that you can challenge the High King, challenge Jarls for right of their title. How many hands shall Jarlship and even High King will change hands? Hell a Bandit chief could probably challenge a Jarl and become the rightful ruler, until they get killed and so on. Be the war of succession all over again.

Good speeches don't make it better, the fact Ulfric is a great public speaker is what makes him more dangerous. He knows what to say to get people to follow him, how to please a crowd. He comes across to me as someone who has practiced these speeches to the extent he has become lost in the display he gives off to the crowd. He truly believes he does no wrong, he doesn't see what he is doing. He has become so fixed in his cause that his actions speak of someone who would burn the world around him, because he believes he is good and right.
There is no way of knowing what was going through the young Torygg's mind. I highly doubt him and Ulfric were bros, and how would Ulfric know he admired him, and even if he did, he had no reason to believe he would agree. Talos is the creator of the Empire and greatest of the divines. YES he is the primary god. You said it yourself his ban pre war would have been a PR nightmare.The Empire is obligated to defend against the Dominion to save themselves. I see no evidence of selflessness in the leader's actions. Of course Ulfric's skills with speeches are dangerous. But that doesn't make them bad.

Staff member
As for the war of succession, or whatever it's called, the Nords already know it won't work. Ulfric does too. For now, that is just a calculated risk, as he challenged torygg in order to set the ball rolling.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
All of the greatest empires in the world faced those things, or something similar, but were still great. There is no denying the Empire was not up to its full power, especially not with all but two blades slain. The fact remains that all those lives were lost in what was effectively little more than a PR stunt. Ulfric was young and headstrong, probably immature at that time. His actions were very spontaneous. I find his actions no surprise. He was led to believe he BETRAYED HIS EMPIRE. That equates to nothing to lose. And we are not tAlking about Hammerfell. It is irrelevant as it is no longer part of the Empire, and has its own free will. As for Ulfric, his actions were the actions of a youth with fire in his heart. He has matured. Now his actions are measured risks, he is playing a deadly game.

He is very good at the deadly game, the Ulfric when addressing men and the Ulfric behind closed doors.

Ulfric: "And it is for these reasons that I cannot accept the mantle of "High King." Not until the Moot declares that title should adorn my shoulders will I accept it."

Ulfric: "How'd I do?"
Galmar: "Eh, not so bad. Nice touch about the High King."
Ulfric: "Thank you, I thought so, too."
Galmar: "It's a foregone conclusion, you know."
Ulfric: "Oh, I know."

Ulfric: "No, not yet. We'll wait for the Moot to name me High King. It'll be better for all that way. But, that doesn't mean I won't start acting like it.

Galmar: "If he's not with us, he's against us."
Ulfric: "He knows that. They all know that."

Galmar: "I still say you should take them all out like you did Deadking Torygg."
Ulfric: "Torygg was merely a message to the other Jarls. Whoever we replace them with will need the support of our armies."

Galmar: "The Jarls are upset. They don't all support you."
Ulfric: "Damn the Jarls."

You can see there are indeed different sides of Ulfric. At least with General Tullius you know where he stands.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
He is very good at the deadly game, the Ulfric when addressing men and the Ulfric behind closed doors.

Ulfric: "And it is for these reasons that I cannot accept the mantle of "High King." Not until the Moot declares that title should adorn my shoulders will I accept it."

Ulfric: "No, not yet. We'll wait for the Moot to name me High King. It'll be better for all that way. But, that doesn't mean I won't start acting like it.

Galmar: "I still say you should take them all out like you did Deadking Torygg."
Ulfric: "Torygg was merely a message to the other Jarls. Whoever we replace them with will need the support of our armies."

You can see there are indeed different sides of Ulfric. At least with General Tullius you know where he stands.

Touché :Dragonborn:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Kills the Emperor of Skyrim...
...Joins the Legion

That isn't actually as bad as it sounds. There is a Talos Cult that many Legionnaires are apart of

The Talos Cult is a group of worshipers of the great Tiber Septim, founder of the Empire. In order to join, new recruits must swear the following oath: "That we shall die to put a strong man back on the throne of Tamriel." They have many followers in the Legions, conspiring to assassinate whoever the current emperor may be and replace him, so to prevent the Empire's decline.

Staff member

I hope you don't mind me asking, but at what part of the game does Ulfric say that bit about rehearsals? I never payed too much attention to his speeches. If you can, I would like a link to a video or reliable website to verify it.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I hope you don't mind me asking, but at what part of the game does Ulfric say that bit about rehearsals? I never payed too much attention to his speeches. If you can, I would like a link to a video or reliable website to verify it.

Which bit about rehearsals? Not sure what quote of his you mean.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts