I think Jarl Balgruuf is a douche.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Ulfric said that he killed Torygg by piercing his blade through his heart. His voice did not kill him.

Interesting, Ulfric doesn't have a sword.

"When Ulfric Stormcloak, with savage Shout, sent me here, my sole regret was fair Elisif, left forlorn and weeping." - Torygg

The High King of Skyrim, Torygg, was recently killed by Ulfric Stormcloak, who used the ancient power of the Thu'um to nearly shout Torygg to pieces. - Skyrim Loading Screen.

The Thu'um is a Nordic magic. Perhaps if Torygg knew how to use the ward spell he would've been able to block Ulfrics Thu'um. Torygg was a WEAK and immature High king. He had no business ruling with such severe inexperience.

The Thu'um is not Nordic Magic, it's the Dragons. The voice, a power belonging to dragons, don't steal credit for something that belongs to the Jills.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
The Empire he remembers never gives up? I'm sorry are we talking about the man who gave up in a Thalmor prison while the Empire was fighting a war. This is also a man, who gave up when he surrendered to Tullius without a fight. I'm sorry but the Empire has what? Surrendered once in over thousands of years, and Ulfric has surrendered three times in the space of thirty years.

Do you know just how brutal a Thalmor prison is? Their interrogation is not all that pleasant.

The Thalmor are quite known to make full grown men cry while being interrogated. The physical altercation of their interrogation are known to cause people to go unconscious. Use your vivid imagination on the day that Ulfric was being interrogated by Elenwen, who now an Ambassador of Skyrim due to the treaty that the Empire signed. I don't think Elenwen was throwing rose peddles at Ulfric to get him to talk. She put the hurt on him, and bad. Why do you think he was quick to speak against her presence at the season unending?

As a speculation as of why he gave up during the ambush is anyone's guess. Perhaps he was out numbered?

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Do you know just how brutal a Thalmor prison is? Their interrogation is not all that pleasant.

The Thalmor are quite known to make full grown men cry while being interrogated. The physical altercation of their interrogation are known to cause people to go unconscious. Use your vivid imagination on the day that Ulfric was being interrogated by Elenwen, who now an Ambassador of Skyrim due to the treaty that the Empire signed. I don't think Elenwen was throwing rose peddles at Ulfric to get him to talk. She put the hurt on him, and bad. Why do you think he was quick to speak against her presence at the season unending?

As a speculation as of why he gave up during the ambush is anyone's guess. Perhaps he was out numbered?
A "true Nord" would have died before staining his honor with such cowardice. He gave up at the Ambush due to the battlemages, they were at Helgen so we can assume they were at the ambush as well. Everyone knows Nords are afraid of magic and wards neuter tongues.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

Elenwen was made Ambassador because the person before her made a mistake. He broke and then did what they wanted after the war, he gave them information for a time, Elenwen is his handler also. He did her bidding.

'And he was assigned as an asset to the interrogator, who is now First Emissary Elenwen.'

'After the war, contact was established and he has proven his worth as an asset.'

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Where did you get this information from? And no not all Nords are afraid of magic.
No, there's Onmund, That Unliving guy in Windhelm.(damn his name is eluding me) & Tolfdir,
Very well, most shun magick calling it unhonorable or what not. Mainly due to the inability to use it.

The fear was of course an assumption as well however it is hinted to in the games. As a lot of Nords hate magicka users, and using the reverse Yoda. Fear > Anger > Hate. Ergo if you hate something you feared it at one point :D

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Where did you get this information from? And no not all Nords are afraid of magic.

Most of the Stormcloak supporters are. Just like the Jarl of Winterhold who leaves a Dark Elf alone because he thinks he has something to do with the College.

Stormcloak logic...

"I killed the High King with my sword."

"But Ulfric, you use an axe?"

"I killed him with my sword dammit!"

"Where is your sword?"

"Shut up."

Raijin

That left out the best bit, him fleeing all the way back to Windhelm. He must of did a good run.

Anything could happen I guess :) Did you hear about the thieves guild story about how Vex and some guy (I forgot his name) caused trouble in windhelm to be then chased off by the guards? While Vex took the horse the guy that she was with ran all the way back to Riften.

Oh and what if Roggvir provided Ulfric with a Horse as he helped Ulfric to escape the city?

But since when does Ulfric use a sword?

Ulfric_Civil_War3.png

There ya go :)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I don't like any Jarls all that much, the Legion doesn't answer to petty Jarls. It's why I don't care for Elisif if she becomes High Queen, she won't rule Skyrim. The Emperor rules Skryim, and I stand there after the Civil War, standing next to Tullius to give my speech.

38011389.jpg

But Balgruuf isn't that bad, out of all the Jarls, the Empire supporting ones seem better. Especially the woman in Dawnstar.

Raijin

Balgruuf is indecisive and wishy-washy for his own good. The Imperial fanatics out there blame Ulfric for the invasion of Whiterun, but fail to realize that Ulfric was trying to make a pact with Balgruuf despite of any personal feelings that he might had for him. While in modern society giving one mans an axe may appear threatening, but in Skyrim world is a sign of friendship and an alliance. You don't have to be Ulfric's best buddy, but to fight with him for the greater good. To fight for independence, and to fight for the right of your people to openly worship of Talos without being prosecuted by the Thalmor. Ulfric truly did not want this to happen, but Balgruuf made his final decision.

The transcript for when you return to Ulfric with his axe.

Ulfric: "You were right Galmar."
Galmar: "Again?"
Ulfric: "I'm in no mood to joke."
Galmar: "Give the word, my lord, and Whiterun is yours."
Ulfric: "Whiterun is only a means to an end."
Galmar: "I've toured our camps. We're ready, Ulfric... Whenever you are."
Ulfric: "Is any man ever ready to give the order that will mean the deaths of many."

Any true Imperial legion fanatics out there would actually be disgusted by Balgruuf, and not to view him as their favorite Jarl. The way he disrespects the Imperial legion, especially right in their faces is troublesome, especially when this Jarl has NO problem accepting chests of gold from them. You would think that this man would be an ass kisser, but no. He calls the Imperial legion a debilitated milk drinkers.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
Baldouche: If you don't mind i have a city to ke-- *dragonborn saves city*

Baldouche: Imperial milk drink--- *imperials save city*

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
The Guards attacked because he was in the wrong. An innocent man wouldn't flee plain as that.

This is absurd, this is like saying it's a Firearms instructor fault if someone they taught murders someone. I suppose it's also the High School Chem teachers fault if a student releases anthrax 25 years after graduating.

I strongly suggest we move this conversation to:
http://skyrimforum.com/threads/imperials-or-stormcloaks-what-one.6373/page-471
as we are off-topic, and the conversation is beginning to circle.
whack... whack! (B**** slap) :)

Satorus

The only reason I like Jarl Balgruuf so much is that I have played through so many times and always there he is waiting for me in the beginning of the game.

Seriously though i dont hate him. So he sends us to find the Dragon Stone, big deal. I didnt have plopsty armor when I went there. You are able to get an almost full set of iron armor from the blacksmith if you run with the imperial guy, or if you go with the stormcloak guy you can get a full suit of Imperial armor. Both of those are pretty good, not to mention the light imperial or Stormcloak armor that can be looted along the way.

The way I look at it I was in the cave anyway since I was trying to get the golden claw back. Curiosity sent me further in the cave before Balgruuf ever asked me to go.

And as far as Balgruuf sending me to deal with a dragon? Well they pretty much say that we as the player have the most experience dealing with the dragon and he also sends his very capable house carl to accompany us. She leads the entire fight. If you wanted to you could hide inside the tower the entire fight and let the npcs fight the dragon.

Ultimately its a matter of opinion. People here have valid reasons for not liking him and they are entitled to them.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
The only reason I like Jarl Balgruuf so much is that I have played through so many times and always there he is waiting for me in the beginning of the game.

Seriously though i dont hate him. So he sends us to find the Dragon Stone, big deal. I didnt have pl***ty armor when I went there. You are able to get an almost full set of iron armor from the blacksmith if you run with the imperial guy, or if you go with the stormcloak guy you can get a full suit of Imperial armor. Both of those are pretty good, not to mention the light imperial or Stormcloak armor that can be looted along the way.

The way I look at it I was in the cave anyway since I was trying to get the golden claw back. Curiosity sent me further in the cave before Balgruuf ever asked me to go.

And as far as Balgruuf sending me to deal with a dragon? Well they pretty much say that we as the player have the most experience dealing with the dragon and he also sends his very capable house carl to accompany us. She leads the entire fight. If you wanted to you could hide inside the tower the entire fight and let the npcs fight the dragon.

Ultimately its a matter of opinion. People here have valid reasons for not liking him and they are entitled to them.
The "experience" is laughable. Your hands are tied and you're running for your life. He does have a point though. You're one of a very few that got to see one up close and live to tell about it.

Personally, I like the guy. Never had a problem with his attitude or his rewards, or lack thereof. There are plenty of ways to improve yourself before taking on a dungeon and a reasonable amount of time preparing shouldn't be a problem.

There's actually a couple ways to get some fairly advanced armor early in the game. One option is to take a trip to Largashbur before you're level 9. Mountain climb into the stronghold and laying out as pretty as you please is a nearly full suit of Orcish armor. Sure, it's stealing from Malacath but nobody is around to stop you.

Another, more dastardly way, is to go get in a fight with Uthgerd the Unbroken. Get her as your follower and go visit the giant camp by the Western Watchtower. Pick a fight with a giant, preferably by shooting an arrow. Be ready to run like the wind to the Watchtower. With any luck Uthgerd will attack it and likely get the crap knocked out of her. If she doesn't get killed she'll probably go down on one knee where you can finish her off. And some shiny new Steel Plate armor is yours!

ShangTsung

A "true Nord" would have died before staining his honor with such cowardice. He gave up at the Ambush due to the battlemages, they were at Helgen so we can assume they were at the ambush as well. Everyone knows Nords are afraid of magic and wards neuter tongues.
whaa.. you can't be serious? first off Ulfric can shout, which is basically the ULTIMATE form magic! thats like saying robin hood would be scared of someone cause they had a bow.. lol
2nd, i have no idea where you read that nords were afraid of magic, they detest it ofcourse cause to them its viewed as a cowards form of fighting, but hating and fearing are two completely different things.
o_O