I think Jarl Balgruuf is a douche.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
"I fight for the men I've held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, who's names I heard whispered in their last breaths. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight for my people impoverished to pay the debts of an Empire too weak to rule them, yet brands them criminals for wanting to rule themselves! I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing. I fight... because I must." ―Ulfric Stormcloak

Ulfric would glad to retire from the world. Ulfric is fighting for the right for him and his people to openly worship of Talos without being slaughtered by the Thalmor... All thanks to the WGC that the Empire signed during the Great war. Ulfric did not murdered the High King. He challenged the High King to a duel, and he accepted it. How is that considered it as murder? Is it because Ulfric used the voice? What if Torygg used the voice? Everyone would view this man as a fricken hero. Double fricken standards right there. Show me LORE evidence that using the voice was against Nordic traditions. After all Ulfric did challenge him to duel in the Nordic traditions. It's understanding that the Empire views it as murder... because the Empire doesn't know jack about the Nord culture. Look at General Tullius for a prime example.

Yes he did order you to die.

"General tullius ordered my execution. Why would I want to help him?" Hadvar mention nothing about the captain.
Propaganda, sure he's a war hero. But look at all the pain and grief he's causing. His war is ripping families apart.

Tullius has Rikke to be his Weird Nordic tradition translator.
Torygg didn't use the Voice though, Ulfric did against everything the Greybeards taught him.
LORE evidence is He killed with the Voice against the Way of the Voice. Only the DB can use the Thu'um in anger. Ulfric tosses it out every ten minutes in a fight, an affront to his blessed Nord traditions.

If Tullius had ordered your execution...wouldn't you have been on the list? The Empire is very good at keeping their lists orderly, we're organized like that.

P.S - As much as I love verbal fisticuffs I'm very tired and sleep beckons. :sleepyface:

P.P.S - what's with your Hadvar? He looks a little...strange....:confused:

Suleku

The Grey Knight
A thousand douches in a room doesn't make them any less of a douche.

A bunch of douches in Skyrim, but I can't stand people like Balgruuf.

o_O Balgruuf must've murdered your wife or something... because I don't understand why soo much hate... what you want the man to kneel before like a god or something after saving the city... No Thanks! Just tell me wtf is next soo I won't have to see your face again :D *laughs*

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
o_O Balgruuf must've murdered your wife or something... because I don't understand why soo much hate... what you want the man to kneel before like a god or something after saving the city... No Thanks! Just tell me wtf is next soo I won't have to see your face again :D *laughs*

It's a video game, dude. People hate Nazeem for making snide comments, and chop his head off.

Balgruuf is a douche for sending the PC on the Bleak Falls Barrow mission.

Suleku

The Grey Knight
It's a video game, dude. People hate Nazeem for making snide comments, and chop his head off.

Balgruuf is a douche for sending the PC on the Bleak Falls Barrow mission.

:/ I was talking about ingame as well... Just look on the bright side when your done doing Balgruuf's errands you get a new hawt wife named lydia with a happy meal :)

happymeal1.jpg

Now Balgruuf wishes you luck with meeting the greybeards The END.... lol

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I just read Balgruuf's a douche and immediately disliked your post. Don't take it too hard but Bally is awesome. he's the best Jarl! Plus, EVERYONE treats you like a servant. And how does he show little respect?! Sure he sent you but it was because you survived Helgen. And its not like he sent you alone. He sent his personal housecarl as well.

"You've done a great service for my kingdom, here, become a Thane"
"May the Gods watch over your battles friend" and more

Be happy you didn't call ole' Parthy a douche or you would have had a maelstrom on your back!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Propaganda, sure he's a war hero. But look at all the pain and grief he's causing. His war is ripping families apart.

Tullius has Rikke to be his Weird Nordic tradition translator.
Torygg didn't use the Voice though, Ulfric did against everything the Greybeards taught him.
LORE evidence is He killed with the Voice against the Way of the Voice. Only the DB can use the Thu'um in anger. Ulfric tosses it out every ten minutes in a fight, an affront to his blessed Nord traditions.

If Tullius had ordered your execution...wouldn't you have been on the list? The Empire is very good at keeping their lists orderly, we're organized like that.

P.S - As much as I love verbal fisticuffs I'm very tired and sleep beckons. :sleepyface:

P.P.S - what's with your Hadvar? He looks a little...strange....:confused:

And look at all of the pain the Empire has caused ever since the Emperor agreed with the WGC terms. Perhaps you might want to read Flight from the Thalmor to get a better understanding of how wretched the situation has became since the WGC been established between the Empire and the Thalmor. All good things must come an end, and this is one of it. The Empire should focus on Cyrodiil and the Nords should focus on Skyrim. Same with Bretons with High Rock.

With the Stormcloak victory would give the ancient group The Blades a safe haven to recover, and to reestablish their group once again without the Thalmor free roaming Skyrim, and slaughtering them over some silly treaty. Under Imperial victory The Blades would have no chance, since they agreed to disown the Blades, and essentially allowed the Thalmor to track them down, and slaughter them all. The blades receives zero protection from the Empire.

Ulfric said that he killed Torygg by piercing his blade through his heart. His voice did not kill him.

Why does he act that way? Because the programmer who wrote that portion of the game coded him that way. It is pointless to get outraged about anything that happens in the game. No matter how emotionally invested you become, the events and behaviors have nothing to do with you , and nothing you do or say will alter their programmed behavior.
If you truly cannot stand interacting with the Jarl, then never go to Dragonsreach.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
Why does he act that way? Because the programmer who wrote that portion of the game coded him that way. It is pointless to get outraged about anything that happens in the game. No matter how emotionally invested you become, the events and behaviors have nothing to do with you , and nothing you do or say will alter their programmed behavior.
If you truly cannot stand interacting with the Jarl, then never go to Dragonsreach.

did I say I want his character to be changed? I like drama in Skyrim. It's great.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
You wanna get back at this scumbag Jarl? Join the ranks of the Stormcloaks :)

And yes I do agree this Jarl is the biggest douche bag in Skyrim.

Jarl-Balgruuf-is-a-scumbag.jpeg

then
scumbag%20jarl.jpg

If I was a diehard Imperial supporter I would most likely hate him even more for showing such utter and disrespect for the Imperial legion. In Battle for Whiterun (Which he personally engaged with):

Imperial Soldier: "Sir! I... I have..."
Quentin: "Take a moment to breathe, soldier."
Imperial Soldier: "But... sir..."
Quentin: "Breathe!"
Balgruuf: "The outer walls are strong. If we can hold them there..."
Quentin: "They have catapults."
Balgruuf: "Damnit. Where'd they get catapults? The city walls are already falling apart as it is."
Quentin: "My scouts tell me they're loading them with fire."
Balgruuf: "So, he wants to take my city, walls intact."
Quentin: "The men will be fighting in flames."
Balgruuf: "My men are fearless. It's the Imperial milk drinkers I'm worried about."
Quentin: "If you prefer I took my men and left..."
Balgruuf: "No. Of course not. Just - don't let me down Cipius. We'll need to set up water brigades to combat the flames."
Quentin: "Already taken care of."
Balgruuf: "You Imperials are efficient, I'll give you that. How long until they arrive?"
Quentin: "Not long. They're hiding in the country side."
Balgruuf: "Damnit. What's he waiting for?"
Imperial Soldier: "Sir!"
Quentin: "What?!"
Imperial Soldier: "Sir, they're on the move. They'll be at the gates at any moment!"
Quentin: "Why didn't you say so immediately?!"
Imperial Soldier: "Sir, I tried."
Balgruuf: "This is it! Time to see what these Stormcloaks are made of."
Quentin: "The men are already gathering at the gates. Move it soldier. Spread the word. Go. Go. Go."
Balgruuf: "Oblivion take them. Every miserable last one of them."

Balruuf is clearly taking an advantage of the Imperial legion by his personal grudge against Ulfric. He's not truly an Imperial supporter, just using them to get back at Ulfric for personal reasons. He caused the total destruction in his city, not Ulfric.
I so agree with the first graphic. Nice, a house! Now pay for it. Do you have any idea how long it took me to save of 5K to buy that house? Then it remained undecorated until I came up with another spare couple K. It's an okay house (about my 5th favorite), but at least I got Lydia (f***** B*****!). Is it any wonder I wasn't really troubled when they got a new jarl.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
And look at all of the pain the Empire has caused ever since the Emperor agreed with the WGC terms. Perhaps you might want to read Flight from the Thalmor to get a better understanding of how wretched the situation has became since the WGC been established between the Empire and the Thalmor. All good things must come an end, and this is one of it. The Empire should focus on Cyrodiil and the Nords should focus on Skyrim. Same with Bretons with High Rock.

With the Stormcloak victory would give the ancient group The Blades a safe haven to recover, and to reestablish their group once again without the Thalmor free roaming Skyrim, and slaughtering them over some silly treaty. Under Imperial victory The Blades would have no chance, since they agreed to disown the Blades, and essentially allowed the Thalmor to track them down, and slaughter them all. The blades receives zero protection from the Empire.

Ulfric said that he killed Torygg by piercing his blade through his heart. His voice did not kill him.
They had no choice but to agree with the concordant the Empire could no longer afford to keep up the fight, and it was never truly enforced until Ulfric's uprising.
The story is clearly after the Markarth Incident as the Thalmor have a heavy presence in Markarth something that didn't occur until Ulfric.
I don't see how the 2 blades in Skyrim could 1. Rebuild the Blades. 2. Stay in Skyrim, they are an Imperial Organization and yes they may have been disbanded and well...outlawed they still would hold some loyalty to the Empire.
Ulfric did stab him, after he shouted him immobile it would be the equivalent to walking up and casting paralysis on him, dishonorable.
Not to mention in your Tamriel, Skyrim is for Nords, High rock is by itself now, which mean if the Empire does fall in the 2nd Great War, Skyrim would be next. Skyrim wouldn't last a month against the Dominion, you have no viable way to combat them.

Skyrim is the proverbial drowning child fighting the lifeguard, if you break free you'll drown. It's inevitable.

Raijin

I so agree with the first graphic. Nice, a house! Now pay for it. Do you have any idea how long it took me to save of 5K to buy that house? Then it remained undecorated until I came up with another spare couple K. It's an okay house (about my 5th favorite), but at least I got Lydia (f***** B*****!). Is it any wonder I wasn't really troubled when they got a new jarl.

Sorry but I don't find Lydia to be the prize winner for putting up with Balgruuf's bullplopsness. Lydia is nothing but unpleasant to deal with. She clearly indicates that she doesn't actually want to be there, and that she would rather be at home stuffing her face with food. Lydia is incredibly weak (without doing the wabbajack trick) and outrageously stupid... but I guess everyone in Skyrim suffers from the Stupid syndrome so I suppose I shouldn't be too harsh on her. Either way shes very annoying, especially when I give her stuffs to carry. She always has to say that sarcastic quote that makes me want to murder her my very own self.

They had no choice but to agree with the concordant the Empire could no longer afford to keep up the fight, and it was never truly enforced until Ulfric's uprising.
The story is clearly after the Markarth Incident as the Thalmor have a heavy presence in Markarth something that didn't occur until Ulfric.
I don't see how the 2 blades in Skyrim could 1. Rebuild the Blades. 2. Stay in Skyrim, they are an Imperial Organization and yes they may have been disbanded and well...outlawed they still would hold some loyalty to the Empire.
Ulfric did stab him, after he shouted him immobile it would be the equivalent to walking up and casting paralysis on him, dishonorable.
Not to mention in your Tamriel, Skyrim is for Nords, High rock is by itself now, which mean if the Empire does fall in the 2nd Great War, Skyrim would be next. Skyrim wouldn't last a month against the Dominion, you have no viable way to combat them.

If the Empire had no choice, then Ulfric had no choice but to physically drive out the Imperials out of Skyrim so that the Nords can properly rule their own country. Ulfric was once a staunch supporter of the Empire now against them. According to Ulfric The Empire that he remembers never gives up. What happen to this government since then? Perhaps the Empire should downgrade for a while, you know... let the Nords rule their country the way they want to, and same with the Bretons of High Rock with the promice of a strong relationship with them. This would actually be better since the WGC would no longer be valid in Skyrim or High Rock had this happen. The Thalmor would no longer be allowed to have any authority over these country's due to a treaty that the Empire signed.

If you notice under Stormcloak victory no longer do you see Thalmor roaming freely on the roads with a prisoner at their side... The Stormcloaks drove the Thalmor out of Skyrim while under Imperial victory the Thalmor are still there. Who's the Thalmor puppet now? No matter what the Thalmor dossier has on Ulfric their clearly misinterpreting on just how powerful the Stormcloaks are climbing up as more join their cause each day.

The Thu'um is a Nordic magic. Perhaps if Torygg knew how to use the ward spell he would've been able to block Ulfrics Thu'um. Torygg was a WEAK and immature High king. He had no business ruling with such severe inexperience.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
If you notice under Stormcloak victory no longer do you see Thalmor roaming freely on the roads with a prisoner at their side... The Stormcloaks drove the Thalmor out of Skyrim while under Imperial victory the Thalmor are still there. Who's the Thalmor puppet now? No matter what the Thalmor dossier has on Ulfric their clearly misinterpreting on just how powerful the Stormcloaks are climbing up as more join their cause each day.

The Thu'um is a Nordic magic. Perhaps if Torygg knew how to use the word spell he would've been able to block Ulfrics Thu'um. Torygg was a WEAK and immature High king. He had no business ruling with such severe inexperience.
No you just see them having tea the the Stormcloak general in Markarth :D

the Thu'um was underhanded, If Torygg knew it and Ulfric did not, I doubt your opinion would be the same. Secondly the whole challenge the high king thing was horribly outdated at the time, it would be equivalent to dueling someone at high noon today.
Ulfric still disobeyed the Way of the Voice, showing he can't be trusted with any type of power as he will just use it as a means for his vile ambitions.

Raijin

No you just see them having tea the the Stormcloak general in Markarth :D

the Thu'um was underhanded, If Torygg knew it and Ulfric did not, I doubt your opinion would be the same. Secondly the whole challenge the high king thing was horribly outdated at the time, it would be equivalent to dueling someone at high noon today.
Ulfric still disobeyed the Way of the Voice, showing he can't be trusted with any type of power as he will just use it as a means for his vile ambitions.

Like I mention from earlier post... If Torygg used the voice at Ulfric and killed him EVERYONE would cheer this High king on. Everyone would be viewing this guy as a fricken hero. Unfortunately Ulfric did not receive such congratulatory treatment. He is labeled as a murderer, and the Empire was going to execute him without a fair trial. Ulfric couldn't prove himself innocent because the Empire already condemned Ulfric to death.

If Ulfric disobeyed the Way of the Voice then how come Kyne did not punish him? How come the Greybeards did not come out of their castle and traveled straight to Windhelm to punish him for using the voice? In fact is kind of irresponsible for the Greybeards to not do something about the creation that they are responsible for. Kyne nor did the Greybeards did nothing to Ulfric which indicates to me that Ulfric did NOTHING wrong.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Like I mention from earlier post... If Torygg used the voice at Ulfric and killed him EVERYONE would cheer this High king on. Everyone would be viewing this guy as a fricken hero. Unfortunately Ulfric did not receive such congratulatory treatment. He is labeled as a murderer, and the Empire was going to execute him without a fair trial. Ulfric couldn't prove himself innocent because the Empire already condemned Ulfric to death.
He entered Solitude under false pretenses, challenged the King "murdered" him and then ran like a bitch. If he was truly in the right he would have walked up and sat down on the throne. He knew what he did was wrong, so he beat feet out of there.

If Ulfric disobeyed the Way of the Voice then how come Kyne did not punish him? How come the Greybeards did not come out of their castle and traveled straight to Windhelm to punish him for using the voice? In fact is kind of irresponsible for the Greybeards to not do something about the creation that they are responsible for. Kyne nor did the Greybeards did nothing to Ulfric which indicates to me that Ulfric did NOTHING wrong.
The Greybeards are pacifist, they believe Kyne will punish him and she will. Look at what happened to tiber Septim, he got his throat slit, stories differ on who did the slitting but still.
If Arngeir walked up to Ulfric and shout him apart he'd be no better than him, he knows justice will find Ulfric whether it be by an Imperial Blade or Thalmor magick Ulfric won't make it to 60.

Also We are getting way off topic here, I suggest we take this to the Imperial or Stormcloaks thread. As we haven't even mentioned Balgruuf in the last 7 or so posts. :)

Raijin

He entered Solitude under false pretenses, challenged the King "murdered" him and then ran like a bitch. If he was truly in the right he would have walked up and sat down on the throne. He knew what he did was wrong, so he beat feet out of there.

Guards were ganging up on Ulfric, and you expect him to just stand there like a frozen Popsicle? No he couldn't just sit down on the throne and start calling himself the new High King of Skyrim. It is the Moot that declares the title, not him or anyone else.

The Greybeards are pacifist, they believe Kyne will punish him and she will. Look at what happened to tiber Septim, he got his throat slit, stories differ on who did the slitting but still.
If Arngeir walked up to Ulfric and shout him apart he'd be no better than him, he knows justice will find Ulfric whether it be by an Imperial Blade or Thalmor magick Ulfric won't make it to 60.

Just because the Greybeards are pacifist doesn't give them the right to not take the responsibility for what they created. Pacifist or not they should undo the damage that they've already caused if Ulfric truly did murder the high king. It is their training of the voice that supposedly killed the High king.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Guards were ganging up on Ulfric, and you expect him to just stand there like a frozen Popsicle? No he couldn't just sit down on the throne and start calling himself the new High King of Skyrim. It is the Moot that declares the title, not him or anyone else.

The Guards attacked because he was in the wrong. An innocent man wouldn't flee plain as that.

Just because the Greybeards are pacifist doesn't give them the right to not take the responsibility for what they created. Pacifist or not they should undo the damage that they've already caused if Ulfric truly did murder the high king. It is their training of the voice that supposedly killed the High king.
This is absurd, this is like saying it's a Firearms instructor fault if someone they taught murders someone. I suppose it's also the High School Chem teachers fault if a student releases anthrax 25 years after graduating.

I strongly suggest we move this conversation to:
http://skyrimforum.com/threads/imperials-or-stormcloaks-what-one.6373/page-471
as we are off-topic, and the conversation is beginning to circle.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
First time you meet him, he asks you to journey into a cave full of draugr, and retrieve a Dragonstone (which turns out to be useless).

At that point in the game, most players aren't even wearing armor, otherwise their armor is the sh1ttiest kind you can acquire.

THEN he asks you to kill a DRAGON. What the hell.

Throughout the game, he shows little respect to your Dragonborn character.

He's also a douche, because it shouldn't take a fkn Dragon to send guards to Riverwood. Considering all the witches, necromancers, vampires, and other sh1t creeping around... he should have sent the guards looong ago.

He's a douche.

The Dragonstone was very important, it showed the dragon tombs. Able to translate it and find the path Alduin was traveling, without that you wouldn't of known about the dragon Delphine took you to.

Balgruuf also set you onto the path towards High Hrothgar, he sends you to the cave because he can't weaken his city, there are dragons roaming around. He has an entire Hold to think about, you're a new person.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Sorry but I don't find Lydia to be the prize winner for putting up with Balgruuf's bullpl***ness. Lydia is nothing but unpleasant to deal with. She clearly indicates that she doesn't actually want to be there, and that she would rather be at home stuffing her face with food. Lydia is incredibly weak (without doing the wabbajack trick) and outrageously stupid... but I guess everyone in Skyrim suffers from the Stupid syndrome so I suppose I shouldn't be too harsh on her. Either way shes very annoying, especially when I give her stuffs to carry. She always has to say that sarcastic quote that makes me want to murder her my very own self.

If the Empire had no choice, then Ulfric had no choice but to physically drive out the Imperials out of Skyrim so that the Nords can properly rule their own country. Ulfric was once a staunch supporter of the Empire now against them. According to Ulfric The Empire that he remembers never gives up. What happen to this government since then? Perhaps the Empire should downgrade for a while, you know... let the Nords rule their country the way they want to, and same with the Bretons of High Rock with the promice of a strong relationship with them. This would actually be better since the WGC would no longer be valid in Skyrim or High Rock had this happen. The Thalmor would no longer be allowed to have any authority over these country's due to a treaty that the Empire signed.

The Thu'um is a Nordic magic. Perhaps if Torygg knew how to use the ward spell he would've been able to block Ulfrics Thu'um. Torygg was a WEAK and immature High king. He had no business ruling with such severe inexperience.

The Empire he remembers never gives up? I'm sorry are we talking about the man who gave up in a Thalmor prison while the Empire was fighting a war. This is also a man, who gave up when he surrendered to Tullius without a fight. I'm sorry but the Empire has what? Surrendered once in over thousands of years, and Ulfric has surrendered three times in the space of thirty years.