• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sword244

I imagine the spawns inside are somewhat random, and I got lucky with mostly 1H users and archers wandering around solo instead of clustered in pairs of 2H wielders.

As it was, my Level 54 sneak dual wielding archer found very few bandits, few in groups, and most died in a sneak attack or sneak shot + a couple of follow-up hits.

In total, I don't think I had to engage more than 10-12 enemies in the whole place from the courtyard through all the sections all the way to the top of the towers.

The leader took a sneak shot, several follow-up shots, plus some melee, but wasn't overly threatening 1v1 (leader was a 1H / shield user in Nordic Carved armor).

I don't recall running into any 2H users now that I think about it, but those have always been my bane.

If a bandit is going to give me trouble, it will be a 2H wielder.

They seem to brush off damage while being able to damn near one hit kill you in melee.

Might i ask what armor style you use?

Dawn

Might i ask what armor style you use?

I use light armor that just reaches the physical resistance cap with my perks (mostly dragonscale).

I also have maxed sneak and muffle on boots, along with all the sneak perks, so I tend to be able to get close and backstab solo enemies with impunity (if there are groups of more than one, I'll switch to bow and try to take out as many from ranged sneak, though that can be tough in tight places like Mistwatch).

sword244

Ah well i use heavy armor (paladin build) so nothing is really "hard" for me lol.

But if you're having issues with 2h'ers use disarm (only if in lower lvls 1-45) or Marked for death (any lvl) makes anything easy haha

Edit: good thing about marked for death that most people do not know is that if you fire it into a group they all are affected

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
how do you guys go about handling this place, any tips on how to clear it in less than 10 deaths? I'm on master btw..

1. Go into game settings.
2. Switch game difficulty to Novice.
3. Kill bad guys with extreme prejudice.
4. Switch game difficulty back to Master and skip away whistling some happy, random tune.

On a more serious note, the idea mentioned by someone else of bringing an unkillable companion as a distraction sounds good. Rather than Serana, I was thinking of Barbas the mangy mutt, instead. He is annoying because he gets in the way a lot, but he kicks some serious NPC ass when needed.

sword244

how do you guys go about handling this place, any tips on how to clear it in less than 10 deaths? I'm on master btw..

4. Switch game difficulty back to Master and skip away whistling some happy, random tune.

On a more serious note, the idea mentioned by someone else of bringing an unkillable companion as a distraction sounds good. Rather than Serana, I was thinking of Barbas the mangy mutt, instead. He is annoying because he gets in the way a lot, but he kicks some serious NPC ass when needed.

Can you get him back? Ive done all the Daedric artifact quests so i kinda force his butt back with Clavicus

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Well I cleared it but had to use a lot of healing potions. My shield helped me but I would say just stock up on potions especially healing ones and paralysis ones.
yea thats actually how i managed it finally, but had it not been for the become ethreal shout even the health potions wouldn't have saved me.. thinking back i could've just beasted through with dremora lords but i hate cheating myself out of a good challenge..

Dawn

Both can be useful, though both are very OP.

I believe Barbas is set as not only essential (can't be killed), but also invulnerable (doesn't take damage), while having decent damage capabilities.

Serana is essential but isn't set as invulnerable, but she might as well be as she never seems to drop out of combat (take a knee), so anything she attacks tends to stick to her until it is dead.

I watched Serana fall off a catwalk in a dwarven ruin once, and after fighting through a couple of levels of falmer, I caught up with her coming back up towards me, and found many dead falmer as we wandered back down to were she fell.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate

Can you get him back? Ive done all the Daedric artifact quests so i kinda force his butt back with Clavicus

No, I don't think you can get him back. But he became so annoying after a while, I'm glad he never came back. :D

Dawn

No, I don't think you can get him back. But he became so annoying after a while, I'm glad he never came back. :D

Just wait till he pushes you off a cliff and you totally forget you can pause and cast Become Ethereal.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

Just wait till he pushes you off a cliff and you totally forget you can pause and cast Become Ethereal.
whaa... the become ethreal shout will even protect you from fall damage??? :eek:

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
If you have Dawnguard use Serena (she cant "die") and use Marked for Death on them makes them extremely easy (even easier if you have all the DLCs)

EDIT:
This was a response to OP sorry for any confusion >_<

Agreed. Last time I had to go to Mistwatch, I had Serana with me and she charged off into the towers. I basically just waited for her outside until she was done. Then casually strolled across the bridge to rescue the kidnap victim. Never even saw the Vampire in charge.

Patches

Bandit+Bandit+Bend Will=a fight to the death!

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
If you have Dawnguard use Serena (she cant "die") and use Marked for Death on them makes them extremely easy (even easier if you have all the DLCs)

EDIT:
This was a response to OP sorry for any confusion >_<

Agreed. Last time I had to go to Mistwatch, I had Serana with me and she charged off into the towers. I basically just waited for her outside until she was done. Then casually strolled across the bridge to rescue the kidnap victim. Never even saw the Vampire in charge.
You're thinking about another area, either that or i posted the wrong location by accident.. the area i'm talking about has a quest inside where this guy gives you a key to the door and has you trying to find his wife, whom you learn at the end has joined bandits and you have to kill.. its harder than a T-rexes plops too. ;)

I use paralize potions on both of them . Game over. My lvl 56 Bosmer , Tricked out dragon armor and dragon bone weapon's . BUT on master it is a very tough fight .

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I agree with the difficulty of mistwatch. Honestly, I always have trouble with a straight tank there.

I usually use archery, sneak, illusion and summoned beings. It's one of the reasons why I wait until at least level 40 to do it and always include some sort of magic to help me through.

On this last run through (orc tank), I made sure to keep a number of scrolls on me (particularly fire-storm and fireball), but, in this case he also had 4 storm antronach ones. Let me tell you, in that narrow hallway with the 4 baddies, I went through at least 1/2 of them. On the plus side, as long as you do the side-quest there, you don't have to face the boss-lady down.

My character doesn't use any other magic on this build.

I was in steel with orcish greatsword & bow. The only enchantment was a frost enchantment on the bow and it really seemed to help.

On another character I actually came in from the top tower 1st and it seemed to be easier working high-ground down than the other way round.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Is the skipping away whistling a happy tune required? My Orc never learned to whistle. Would be okay if he just did the same while bellowing Ragnar the Red?

Dawn

I think places like Treva's Watch or Liar's Retreat are much more difficult as I find it impossible to get through them without having multiple enemies all on me at once, which can require a bunch of shoot and scoot along with potion chugging and shout spamming to survive.

Treva's isn't too bad going up the tower to the Chief, but can be brutal going down and through the tunnels where the narrow corridors provide little space to sneak and where there always seem to be several clustered groups of leveled bandits (3+ groups).

Liar's Retreat is just nasty at the entrance where you can easily find your character facing off against a full room of leveled Falmer. The rest isn't too bad, but there are several places where it is still easy to pull 3+ Falmer / Chaurus all at once.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I think places like Treva's Watch or Liar's Retreat are much more difficult as I find it impossible to get through them without having multiple enemies all on me at once, which can require a bunch of shoot and scoot along with potion chugging and shout spamming to survive.

Treva's isn't too bad going up the tower to the Chief, but can be brutal going down and through the tunnels where the narrow corridors provide little space to sneak and where there always seem to be several clustered groups of leveled bandits (3+ groups).

Liar's Retreat is just nasty at the entrance where you can easily find your character facing off against a full room of leveled Falmer. The rest isn't too bad, but there are several places where it is still easy to pull 3+ Falmer / Chaurus all at once.

Yes, I agree completely. Treva's Watch and Liar's Retreat = so many character deaths. I imagine all the little tombstones that would be scattered throughout those places for the number of poor schmucks I've lost in there :)