• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Inquisitor Saken

polan can into space?
Sometimes when I decide not to fast travel, I'll be on my way to a quest when I get distracted by a giant camp or something, and spend the next (really long time) wandering around hunting. I haven't done too many quests on this character.. ^^'

TheHaydz242

Sometimes when I decide not to fast travel, I'll be on my way to a quest when I get distracted by a giant camp or something, and spend the next (really long time) wandering around hunting. I haven't done too many quests on this character.. ^^'

Lol, you should give hunting a chance, I haven't done any quest's apart from one, so I could hold up at some of the Orc camps. Level 27 already.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
They also generally drop a lot of Hides, and provide great archery practice for Hunter builds. Once I get a decent bow, I train up killing Giants, with Shoot&Scoot tactics. Sure they can 1 shot you, but you can run!
Do you scoot into a body of water? It's odd how both Giants and Mammoths refuse to enter water.

TheHaydz242

Do you scoot into a body of water? It's odd how both Giants and Mammoths refuse to enter water.

I personally just get the high ground, I take out the giants then the mammoths, you really can't miss the mammoths.

I just run past them, and turn around. Wuld works real good for this. I know about safe-spotting, using Water, or High Ground so they can't reach you, but I'd rather use Evasion. It's a lot more fun, and exiting that way, and good training for real battles, where there's not always a safe-spot.

TheHaydz242

I just run past them, and turn around. Wuld works real good for this. I know about safe-spotting, using Water, or High Ground so they can't reach you, but I'd rather use Evasion. It's a lot more fun, and exiting that way, and good training for real battles, where there's not always a safe-spot.

Height advantage is an archers best friend.

Height advantage is an archers best friend.
High ground means you have a clear shot on more real estate, which is a vast advantage. It's also defensive, because it's generally easier to shoot them all before they can climb up to you. I don't plan on always having high ground advantage, though, there's too many battles on a flat, and level. Then, there's assaults on fortifications where you have to climb the whole way, while getting attacked, and possibly shot at the whole time. You're just not going to have that advantage all the way through Skuldafn, for instance.

If you can only win with an unfair advantage, you aren't much of an archer, and it severely limits the number of quests you can do with just a bow. With my tactics, I've beaten every enemy, and quest possible with nothing but. I was mostly talking about training though. To maximize XP, I want the biggest toughest target I can find, preferably with Regeneration so I don't have to spend most of my time running from fight to fight.

TheHaydz242

High ground means you have a clear shot on more real estate, which is a vast advantage. It's also defensive, because it's generally easier to shoot them all before they can climb up to you. I don't plan on always having high ground advantage, though, there's too many battles on a flat, and level. If you can only win with an unfair advantage, you aren't much of an archer, and it severely limits the number of quests yu can do with just a bow. With my tactics, I've beaten every enemy, and quest possible with nothing but. I was mostly talking about training though. To maximize XP, I want the biggest toughest target I can find, preferably with Regeneration so I don't have to spend most of my time running from fight to fight.

I...I was talking about the giants and mammoth's thing with Height advantage...

I...I was talking about the giants and mammoth's thing with Height advantage...
Not all of them have a handy terrain feature either. All the camps do, but there's free range groups that randomly walk across the Plains of Whiterun Hold. Quite often, they're out in the middle of nowhere, you don't Have to kill them, but I hate to pass up the opportunity.

TheHaydz242

Not all of them have a handy terrain feature either. All the camps do, but there's free range groups that randomly walk across the Plains of Whiterun Hold. Quite often, they're out in the middle of nowhere, you don't Have to kill them, but I hate to pass up the opportunity.

2 shot kills. But I still like having the height.

2 shot kills. But I still like having the height.
Well, that's the other way to go, isn't it. Instead of actually playing an Archer, using mobility, and evasion to stay alive, you can Smith up to Toothpick of Giant Slaying, and capped out armor. My point is, that's not an archer, it's a blacksmith with a bow.

TheHaydz242

Well, that's the other way to go, isn't it. Instead of actually playing an Archer, using mobility, and evasion to stay alive, you can Smith up to Toothpick of Giant Slaying, and capped out armor. My point is, that's not an archer, it's a blacksmith with a bow.

You're being a real asshole right now.

tumblr_m05yijwc4I1qf5ssj.gif

You're being a real asshole right now.
Sorry, let me put it more politely. The primary advantage of any Ranger Class is Range. You can hit them when they can't hit you, meleers, and even Destruction Mages can't reach as far. To take advantage of this, you need to be able to keep that distance, which is why mobility is so important for Archers. Now, there's no Skill Tree for Athletics, so in lieu of a Character Skill, it really helps to build up your Player Skills. Those you can bring to any fight, any enemy, any where. The same could be said for Armor, and smithed up weapons, but that means starting at the forge, maybe Faendal training, and then getting to the actual gameplay.

I train for the worst case scenario, not the best. If you have High Ground available, of course, use it. Just don't depend on it always being there, because when the Enemy has the high ground, you'll lose.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
My current Nord Berserker was having trouble Hunting, because he only uses a huge two-handed axe (have you tried Hunting Deer in that way? It isn't rewarding.). So I developed a unique Hunting technique just for him:- Ice Form shout, then whack them with a Big Stick ;)

My current Nord Berserker was having trouble Hunting, because he only uses a huge two-handed axe (have you tried Hunting Deer in that way? It isn't rewarding.). So I developed a unique Hunting technique just for him:- Ice Form shout, then whack them with a Big Stick ;)
I also use Fury, or kite Spriggans so they come to me. There's about 3 Spriggans right by Falkreath, and you can literally sweep the entire hold of game, if you can survive the fight. Deer, and Elk aren't too tough, but if you have 15 of them, +wolves, bears, and maybe the occasional saber cat, it can get pretty rowdy with a quickness. Then, you've got the Spriggans to worry about. Great way to get a pile of hides quick, though, and a lot of weapon/armor experience. You can also use this trick to lay waste to Falkreath/Riverwood, but unfortunately, it doesn't work on Hircine's avatar.

I don't suggest this for Archer types, though, you'll get overrun, and killed.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I also use Fury, or kite Spriggans so they come to me. There's about 3 Spriggans right by Falkreath, and you can literally sweep the entire hold of game, if you can survive the fight. Deer, and Elk aren't too tough, but if you have 15 of them, +wolves, bears, and maybe the occasional saber cat, it can get pretty rowdy with a quickness. Then, you've got the Spriggans to worry about. Great way to get a pile of hides quick, though, and a lot of weapon/armor experience. You can also use this trick to lay waste to Falkreath/Riverwood, but unfortunately, it doesn't work on Hircine's avatar.

I don't suggest this for Archer types, though, you'll get overrun, and killed.
That's another way :)

There are actually multiple ways you can use. Kyne's Peace is another (slightly cheesy to me) way of getting game to not run away [I say cheesy because being at one with nature, then mindlessly slaughtering it is just a little conflicting in purpose]. I try not to remember which shouts are obtained where (and somehow manage to succeed), even though I remember most of the dungeons in great detail by now. The Nord was just wandering the mountains when he came upon the Ice Form wall, a very happy accident, as it fills several useful functions in his at present somewhat limited resume ;)

deikos

High ground means you have a clear shot on more real estate, which is a vast advantage. It's also defensive, because it's generally easier to shoot them all before they can climb up to you. I don't plan on always having high ground advantage, though, there's too many battles on a flat, and level. Then, there's assaults on fortifications where you have to climb the whole way, while getting attacked, and possibly shot at the whole time. You're just not going to have that advantage all the way through Skuldafn, for instance.

If you can only win with an unfair advantage, you aren't much of an archer, and it severely limits the number of quests you can do with just a bow. With my tactics, I've beaten every enemy, and quest possible with nothing but. I was mostly talking about training though. To maximize XP, I want the biggest toughest target I can find, preferably with Regeneration so I don't have to spend most of my time running from fight to fight.
i kill giants with ease at level 9 an imperial bow 12 damage and iron arrows 10 damage so is that an unfiar advantage?

AS88

Staff member
i kill giants with ease at level 9 an imperial bow 12 damage and iron arrows 10 damage so is that an unfiar advantage?

No, that's Novice, or running away from everything all the time. Put it on Expert, you'll have more fun.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
I hunt on skeletal horseback with a soul stealing enchanted katana because I'm not really interested in skin and flesh but I do love a soul.

deikos

No, that's Novice, or running away from everything all the time. Put it on Expert, you'll have more fun.
i dont run though i stand there and just fire at it and use unrelenting force although my warrior still can only say fus although ive been to high hrothgar and learnt the full thing so i guess i have to get stronger and use it tons of times for it to become stronger or absorb more dragon souls or something and i only move back when it gets too close and do a bit of sprinting and jump around a terrain it cant reach so as it comes around i can load an arrow or 2 into it plus im pretty good at using bows even though im a warrior with aiming because whats happened three times now is ive killed an elk or deer by shooting it in the butt after shooting it before and i didnt even aim for that i aimed for the back of the head.