How did you come across Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Two Bears

I've never played through the other TES games. I was too young in 94.. Also didn't have a computer. When Morrowind came out I tried it but I think I was still a bit too young to understand it all. So I'm a bit curious about what parts they have changed to appeal to a mass audience. To me the game is (almost) "perfect" but I don't have any other TES games to compare with.

There are too many examples to list concisely here, but I will give a fairly standard one. The number of skills, first introduced in TES II: Daggerfall, have decreased and simplified over time. For example, Skyrim has two skill sets for weapons: One-handed and two-handed. In Oblivion, those were divided into blade (covering all sword types) and blunt (covering all axes, maces and hammers). In Morrowind, those skills were divided further -- Short blades (daggers, shortswords, etc), Long blades (long swords, claymores, katanas) and blunt weapons (maces, axes, hammers). Prior to that, Daggerfall had axe as a separate skill to blunt, making the total number of melee weapons skills at four. This forces the player to specialize to a greater degree and makes leveling and character builds both more diverse and more complicated.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
There are too many examples to list concisely here, but I will give a fairly standard one. The number of skills, first introduced in TES II: Daggerfall, have decreased and simplified over time. For example, Skyrim has two skill sets for weapons: One-handed and two-handed. In Oblivion, those were divided into blade (covering all sword types) and blunt (covering all axes, maces and hammers). In Morrowind, those skills were divided further -- Short blades (daggers, shortswords, etc), Long blades (long swords, claymores, katanas) and blunt weapons (maces, axes, hammers). Prior to that, Daggerfall had axe as a separate skill to blunt, making the total number of melee weapons skills at four. This forces the player to specialize to a greater degree and makes leveling and character builds both more diverse and more complicated.
Frankly, in Skyrim, I don't even bother with axes and hammers. While they do do massive amounts of damage, I find them unwieldy in combat. I stick with 2 handed swords and my bow most of the time. Now I'm looking for a really good one handed, but I think I'll have to up my enchantment to get what I need.

Two Bears

Frankly, in Skyrim, I don't even bother with axes and hammers. While they do do massive amounts of damage, I find them unwieldy in combat. I stick with 2 handed swords and my bow most of the time. Now I'm looking for a really good one handed, but I think I'll have to up my enchantment to get what I need.

Man, back in the day you needed to join the Mages Guild and progress to a mid-tier rank before they'd even let you near an enchanter. Now any Tom, Dick or Harry can waltz on up and make gear. And your weapons used to break too....

/old gamer rant

Karen

boop.
I follow a few gaming news channels on Youtube, so I think some of the trailer vids just popped up in my feed. There was a lot of hype about it, I remember it was almost impossible to ignore. When it did come out, my (now-ex) boyfriend and his friends kept gushing about how amazing it was and how I had to try it, so I got it a few days after it came out and was instantly hooked.

Aniratak

So if I understand correctly you needed to lvl up in a spesific sword, axe or hammer. And if you lvl up in a warhammer it doesn't automaticly mean that you lvl up in all two handed?

And that thing you said about magic - I have thought about that for a long time. Also: (SPOILER) they make you archmage if you complete the college of winterhold quest, even without using any spells at all.. I do hope they don't continue "simplifying" the game..

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I got Oblivion by random chance several years ago, simply picked it up and bought it, was hooked onto it for many years. My mate told me a new Elder Scrolls was coming out, I wasn't that into game news since I wasn't that big of a gamer. When it came out he had it and told me about it, I went to the store that day and bought it.

So now I blame him for stealing my soul, social life & money for download contents.

Aniratak

I got Oblivion by random chance several years ago, simply picked it up and bought it, was hooked onto it for many years. My mate told me a new Elder Scrolls was coming out, I wasn't that into game news since I wasn't that big of a gamer. When it came out he had it and told me about it, I went to the store that day and bought it.

So now I blame him for stealing my soul, social life & money for download contents.

Haha! Thats a way of seeing it =)

I hadn't been playing games for a long time either when Skyrim came out.. Skyrim made me fall in love with games again. I haven't played a game I like this much since I was a kid and played Little Big Adventure and Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and 2. And playing Skyrim has made me even more picky when it comes to games. I tried to play fable, witcher and dragon age after Skyrim but that was just horrible!

I've seen several interviews with the game-creators of these games saying that they can't continue with the way they have been making these games after Skyrim. They say Bethesda changed the rpg-game marked and that they will have to go in the same direction as well. (Obviously) But I don't believe it untill I see it..

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Haha! Thats a way of seeing it =)

I hadn't been playing games for a long time either when Skyrim came out.. Skyrim made me fall in love with games again. I haven't played a game I like this much since I was a kid and played Little Big Adventure and Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and 2. And playing Skyrim has made me even more picky when it comes to games. I tried to play fable, witcher and dragon age after Skyrim but that was just horrible!

I've seen several interviews with the game-creators of these games saying that they can't continue with the way they have been making these games after Skyrim. They say Bethesda changed the rpg-game marked and that they will have to go in the same direction as well. (Obviously) But I don't believe it untill I see it..

I wouldn't want games to follow Skyrim, as much as I enjoy it... I would much rather they go back to see where they went wrong after Morrowind, because they have started to dumb things down.

Panda Rawrlord

Herald of Panda-Monium
I never even heard of The Elder Scrolls series before Skyrim. When Skyrim did come out it was all my friends would talk about. Heck, my old math teacher was a hardcore TES fan and talked about it before and after class. I got the game for Christmas and went into the game thinking, 'This game can't be that good.' I was dead wrong.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I was just barely old enough to play daggerfall on my uncle's P.C.way back when, and I got into morrowind by accident when he got it for his xBox. I was too young to appreciate daggerfall and morrowind(to me) paled in comparison to the original Fable(God, how many hours do I have in that game?) When my neighbor was selling off all of his stuff(joining a convent), I picked up oblivion and was just blown away. I played and burnt through three copies of the game and when Skyrim came out, I was in line to pick up my copy on release day. Now it's semi permanently in my xbox(when I get pissed at it, I switch to Oblivion or Fallout depending on the frustration.) So I guess I just kinda eased into TES

Tris

My heart belongs to Fallout 3 which was really the first game of it's type I had ever played. So absorbing and I was looking for something that would pull me into it's world. Fallout New Vegas was great but didn't quite absorb me as much. I'd heard people talking about Skyrim but it didn't seem my thing until I got chatting to another mum at swimming lessons who mentioned that she played and loved it as much as she had F3. I tried it and loved it (although there is still nothing to beat walking out of the vault for the first time) Yay for the underground-computer-gaming-mums network. We really need ribbon to help us identify each other.

Aniratak

My heart belongs to Fallout 3 which was really the first game of it's type I had ever played. So absorbing and I was looking for something that would pull me into it's world. Fallout New Vegas was great but didn't quite absorb me as much. I'd heard people talking about Skyrim but it didn't seem my thing until I got chatting to another mum at swimming lessons who mentioned that she played and loved it as much as she had F3. I tried it and loved it (although there is still nothing to beat walking out of the vault for the first time) Yay for the underground-computer-gaming-mums network. We really need ribbon to help us identify each other.

Great story! =) Should find a secret code, I'll join in when the time comes. :Dragonborn: Welcome to the forum by the way!

Saint Vicious

Still sober
I found it through cracked.com

I have never owned or played video games, I have just never been a gamer. I hate trying to play most games. I get irritated real quick with em'. But I kept reading articles on Cracked about how great and awesome it was so I decided to try it out. I'm glad I did. Although I still don't play any other games. Here's a link to the article that got me addicted. http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-personality-flaws-skyrim-forces-you-to-deal-with/

Oh yeah, I have to add this. http://www.cracked.com/article_19713_a-modern-game-80s-wouldnE28099t-have-been-able-to-survive.html

AS88

Staff member

This was my first taste of The Elder Scrolls, about a week before release. I was sat with my girlfriend when this came on. I was all like..

0SBuk.gif

My gf just carried on with whatever she was doing, and I was like, "Did you just see that?!".

Sure enough, I bought the game on release day (on £29.99 special offer :cool: ) and have played it pretty much non-stop since. Until then I was almost totally into either sports games, (NBA 2K, FIFA, etc) and driving/racing games, and had never really played any sort of RPG more RPG-like than the GTA series.

Skyrim absolutely confused the hell out of me at first, but as I started to get used to the game, I started to read the books and enjoy the landscapes, then I would have a look for the story behind a certain book, or what was in *that* direction by looking at maps of Tamriel. Soon enough, I'm feebly attempting to RP my characters on a PS3, creating rich and deep backstories rooted in lore and Elder Scrolls realism. I'm also saving up for a gaming PC so I can make use of all sorts of mods (of which I already have a MS Word list about 4 pages long :p ), and also get my hands on TES:Online.

Not bad for a jock, eh?

kyleekay and I have both spoke about how TES has changed us into JockNerds, but...

6N2Fa.gif

(Yes, I have seen a page full of gifs that I like and intend on using them :p )

Aniratak

I found it through cracked.com

I have never owned or played video games, I have just never been a gamer. I hate trying to play most games. I get irritated real quick with em'. But I kept reading articles on Cracked about how great and awesome it was so I decided to try it out. I'm glad I did. Although I still don't play any other games. Here's a link to the article that got me addicted. http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-personality-flaws-skyrim-forces-you-to-deal-with/

Haha! That was a funny article! I suppose this would make me play Skyrim as well. I also hate trying to play most games.. My BF just bought Bioshock Infinite. I've tried it for a couple of hours, and I see that it is a good game. For most people.. I just don't like it. The whole thing is a straight line from beguinning to end. And there is no time to be strategic. It's just shoot, cutscene, and shoot some more. Doesn't matter what special power you choose to kill your enemy with, they are all equal in damage. Done with the game in a day or two and leave it on the shelf to collect dust. It gave me nothing.. Not like Skyrim though. So in some way you can say I am a Skyrim-gamer. Untill the next TES I suppose.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Heard about it's release long before the trailers, didn't follow because I wasn't all that interested in Elder Scrolls anymore at the time, I then saw the trailers, heard about it from friends, and finally even got to see folks play it. Then shortly after that, I noticed G4 said it was among the top 10 video games of all time and finally I decided to give in and try it out.

Aniratak

This was my first taste of The Elder Scrolls, about a week before release. I was sat with my girlfriend when this came on. I was all like..

My gf just carried on with whatever she was doing, and I was like, "Did you just see that?!".

Sure enough, I bought the game on release day (on £29.99 special offer :cool: ) and have played it pretty much non-stop since. Until then I was almost totally into either sports games, (NBA 2K, FIFA, etc) and driving/racing games, and had never really played any sort of RPG more RPG-like than the GTA series.

Skyrim absolutely confused the hell out of me at first, but as I started to get used to the game, I started to read the books and enjoy the landscapes, then I would have a look for the story behind a certain book, or what was in *that* direction by looking at maps of Tamriel. Soon enough, I'm feebly attempting to RP my characters on a PS3, creating rich and deep backstories rooted in lore and Elder Scrolls realism. I'm also saving up for a gaming PC so I can make use of all sorts of mods (of which I already have a MS Word list about 4 pages long :p ), and also get my hands on TES:Online.

Me too! I'm also saving up for a computer so I can play Skyrim with great graphics and with Mods! I hope I'll have enough cash by the end of the summer... Have you read about the mod called Frostfall? And the other one which I don't remember what's called were you have to eat and sleep to survive?

AS88

Staff member
Me too! I'm also saving up for a computer so I can play Skyrim with great graphics and with Mods! I hope I'll have enough cash by the end of the summer... Have you read about the mod called Frostfall? And the other one which I don't remember what's called were you have to eat and sleep to survive?

Yeah, Frostfall, Realistic Needs, Climates of Tamriel, there's so many but fortunately many of them choose to work together for the good of the game rather than trying to take all the credit for themselves.

I have so many though, but they're almost all immersion mods, bug fixes and lore-friendly extras. Stuff like Immersive Armors, Become a Bard, Alternate Start, Realistic Animals and Predators, Bandolier, etc. Many of them are little things though, like Dovahkiin Relaxes Too, Sit Anywhere, Lanterns of Skyrim, Increased Bounty Rewards, etc, etc, etc :)

Aniratak

Yeah, Frostfall, Realistic Needs, Climates of Tamriel, there's so many but fortunately many of them choose to work together for the good of the game rather than trying to take all the credit for themselves.

I have so many though, but they're almost all immersion mods, bug fixes and lore-friendly extras. Stuff like Immersive Armors, Become a Bard, Alternate Start, Realistic Animals and Predators, Bandolier, etc. Many of them are little things though, like Dovahkiin Relaxes Too, Sit Anywhere, Lanterns of Skyrim, Increased Bounty Rewards, etc, etc, etc :)

I wonder if it feels like a real add on to the game. Or if it looks a bit off.. I suppose it depends on the mod. What does the realistic animals do? Does it add more animals? Maybe I should make a list too! Something to look forward to. Do you know if there is a webpage that sums up all the mods?