How could a Dark Elf joining the Stormcloaks make logical sense?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nightshade

So far, the only reasons I can think of (even though it is quite a stretch) is that the character (1) is a devout Talos worshipper (which doesn't really fit considering he is the god of man) /or/ (2) believes that the Nords, even though many are not accepting of their kind, have the right to worship who they wish...and through hard work said character might gain acceptance among them?

It makes more sense to go Empire with a Dark Elf, but I've seen many Dark Elf players choose Stormcloak despite the racism. Can anyone think of a circumstance where this would seem logical from a roleplaying point of view?

A more overriding hatred of the Empire than concern about Nord racism. If you play Morrowind, you can clearly see an anti-Empire sentiment within much of Dunmer society.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
agreed, it would have to be a hatred of the empire as motivation to joining the xenophobic Stormcloaks

Garrison

Would that be sufficient motivation, or would they simply remain neutral and stay out of that particular conflict?

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I know my character stayed out of the civil war til the storyline forced me to have to decide

BIGwooly

I'm totally with you on this. My first character was a dunmer archer/mage. I got to around level 24 or so and realized I couldn't finish the game with that character, partly because it just didn't make sense for me for a dunmer to join either side. The other reason was it just didn't feel right to play a dunmer as the dragonborn.

Garrison

I know my character stayed out of the civil war til the storyline forced me to have to decide

I didn't realize that was the case; I embraced that quest line pretty early. Would be nice if there was an alternate angle to the those faction quest lines. i.e. I don't want to be a thief, so provide alternate quest options where you could participate in that quest line but with different choices. Example, infiltrate the thieves guild.

Nightshade

Thanks for the replies everyone! I agree with the possibility of a dark elf joining because their hatred for the Empire overrides their feelings on Nord racism. But at the same time, it would seem as if they'd be working against themselves considering how the nords want them out of Skyrim.

I'm playing as a dark elf right now and I just don't feel like I belong on either side of the fight, really. I've avoided the war so far with all of my characters.

Panthera

Don Gato
Thanks for the replies everyone! I agree with the possibility of a dark elf joining because their hatred for the Empire overrides their feelings on Nord racism. But at the same time, it would seem as if they'd be working against themselves considering how the nords want them out of Skyrim.

I'm playing as a dark elf right now and I just don't feel like I belong on either side of the fight, really. I've avoided the war so far with all of my characters.

Become member of the Dark Brotherhood. You will get some targets which will be a loos for Empire but also in the end side with Empire... Which kinda makes you netural towards empire.

I don't see any reason to help Stormcloak as Dunmer. Even though they have common hate towards Empire, hate between them is even greater. Also helping them while Morrowind is still part of Empire... I doubt any Dunmer would go for that.

The only way that I would join Stormcloaks is when I would play as Nord, although I would play Nord again who supports Empire. ;)

Nigth Assassin

Nightingale
I know its weird but its a game if they let all other races join the Stormcloaks and not let Dark Elf join it would be unfair for Dark Elf players.

acsinclair

So far, the only reasons I can think of (even though it is quite a stretch) is that the character (1) is a devout Talos worshipper (which doesn't really fit considering he is the god of man) /or/ (2) believes that the Nords, even though many are not accepting of their kind, have the right to worship who they wish...and through hard work said character might gain acceptance among them?

It makes more sense to go Empire with a Dark Elf, but I've seen many Dark Elf players choose Stormcloak despite the racism. Can anyone think of a circumstance where this would seem logical from a roleplaying point of view?

Its absolutely logical. As a player that has at times supported the Empire and at times the Stormcloaks, let me just say that the whole Stormcloak racism thing is way overblown. Ulfric is fighting a cosmopolitan Empire, the only way to rally the needed support to pull off such a feat is to be a culturally homogenous and, at heart, nationalistic movement. He has to be its anti-thesis in a sense. Is Ulfric or the rebellion at heart racist or about racism? Probably not. Does it utilize the large numbers of xenophobic and racist nords in Skyrim for power and strength in numbers? Yes. This is a standard tool of both statecraft and in popular revolutions throughout history. But that aside, there is a definite motivation for a Dunmer joining the Stormcloaks regardless of their possible racism. Its a bit of an RP I suppose but for me it makes the Stormcloaks the best option for the Dunmer as a people. The Dunmer are my favorite race, they have my favorite culture and by far, Morrowind for me is the coolest province. All of that is in shambles in the wake of the Red Year and the Argonian Invasions. A strong Empire in Skyrim means Dunmer refugees have a place to escape and be assimilated into a new region, but ultimately, their culture, heritage and mighty civilization remains lost as a cost of this assimilation. A strong independant Skryim which is not welcoming of outsiders, means those Dunmer refugees have nowhere to go but home, to Morrowind. Its the hard path for them yes, but if those refugees could be rallied, they could take back their home from the Argonians and stand a chance at rebuilding all that which was lost. If they could succeed, they'd have years to rebuild in isolation without worrying about interference from the other provinces still bitterly embroiled in ongoing conflict with the Aldmeri Dominion. Its far more worthy for a proud race like the Dunmer to fight to the last man to rebuild their race's glory rather than to simply give up, and let all of their people's greatness fade into memory forever as they become essentially the wandering refugees across Tamriel, not unlike the Jews after the Diaspora. That's no future for the children of Resdayn.

In real life people work with those who should be their enemies. Think of collaborators with the enemy in WW2, like Quisling, who betrayed their country for personal gain.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
Think of WW2 like the guy above me said, Americans put thousands of Japanese-Americans in prison for being Japanese. When released, they helped fight the Japanese.

Unit7

Well one of the problems the Nords in Windhelm have with the Dunmer isn't purely based on Race. A High Elf has actually been able to make a decent living in Windhelm. If anything she should have been hung ages ago.

The real problem a lot of the Nords have is that the Dunmer have remained relatively neutral in the Civil War. They do not view it as something they should get involved with. First time you enter Windhelm a female Dunmer is being harrassed by two nords. Part of the discussion is that the dunmer haven't helped the Stormcloaks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dunmer in Windhelm began helping in the war effort or at least tried they'd be treated more fairly... even if just a little.

Maybe your character wants to prove that not all Dunmer view the civil war in Skyrim as not their problem. Skyrim is now your home and thus you want to defend her and her people from the Empire and Thalmor.

To me it makes perfect sense to RP a dunmer and join the Stormcloaks. As long as you give the character a good motivation. Which could be a number of things.

El Fonz0

Really, if you provide a good enough reason, you could make sense of any race joining the Stormcloaks, even High Elves. Except maybe Bretons.

I believe the Stormcloak's Racism is over played. First of all, I've never heard Ulfric say a single Racist thing. Galmar, sure, but not Ulfric. Seccond, he took in the Dunmer Refugees, while others turn them away. Sure, he keeps them in the Gray Quarter, which many consider a slum, but he knows about the anti-elf sentiment, and hate crimes by his own men, so it's as much to keep the peace as to subjugate them. (Of course, they aren't going to See it that way.)

As for a Dunmer Stormcloak, a few things. First of all, the belief that everyone of a given race is racist is racism. The Stormcloaks hate the Imperials, and Thalmor, not the Dunmer. (Not even the Altmer, as long as they don't try to Rule Skyrim.) A Dunmer may be grateful to the Man for saving him as a refugee, while distancing him from the actions, and prejudice of his men. Also, his people have just been run out of their lands by the invading Argonians, so the charasmatic anti-empire rhetoric just may get to him. And finally, if he just happened to be at Helgen, saw his summary (attempted) execution, as well as his own, that's what I would call a "bonding" experience. The kind of thing that makes things like a Dunmer Housecarl happen. It's not unheard of, yaknow?

Unit7

If you go to Windhelm and listen to Galmar and Ulfric's conversation(before you pick a side anyways), and then let them finish. Ulfric will sit on his Throne and talk to his Steward about the Dark Elves. I can't remember what was said exactly, but it wasn't good.

Jaeger

If Ulfric wanted them out, then why are they living under his nose? Surely, he's capable of going in the Grey Quarter and shaking them apart. He doesn't help them because the Dunmer doesn't help the Nords. You have heard of the saying, "you wash my back..."?

Same with Redguards. The Empire gave away their lands.

And if you were to read the Amulet of Kings book...

If you go to Windhelm and listen to Galmar and Ulfric's conversation(before you pick a side anyways), and then let them finish. Ulfric will sit on his Throne and talk to his Steward about the Dark Elves. I can't remember what was said exactly, but it wasn't good.
I just did, he did the "This is why I fight" speech, then sent a message to one of his camps. This couldn't have been censored for my ears, being a Nord, and all.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts