• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mookie

It's hard to change one's religious beliefs. That is the main reason, imo, that people are so hard-set against same-sex marriage. Not the initial reaction to any sexual acts between same sex couples. Plenty of guys get off on lesbians doing each other, but because of their religious beliefs, they may not agree with them getting married.

This is one reason bestiality isn't mentioned much, if at all, in the Bible or other religious texts. Everyone already knows it's wrong. It goes without saying.

But when it comes to something like homosexuality, you have to somehow plant the idea that it is wrong in order for people to be disgusted by it. Enter Sodom.

Back when the Bible was written, Rome was the superpower of the world. One good way to attack the Roman empire was to attack their preferences on sexuality. It was no big secret that Romans were accepting of the gay lifestyle. But because they persecuted Christians, anything the roman empire did was considered sinful.

My main point is, the reason so many people are against same-sex marriage is because they think it's a sin, not because it turns them off. It's because of religion. Bottom line. Anal sex turns people off too, but their isn't a large percentage of the populace demanding that we make laws against it.

I am not religious nor have been "indoctrinated" by hate of any kind. Do i know a lot about religions? Yes I do. Does that change anything? Nope.
I couldnt care less who sleeps or marries who. But what I do care is how things are presented.

1. What is marriage?
2. What do people get from marriage?
3. What would gay people get from marriage?

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
I am not religious nor have been "indoctrinated" by hate of any kind. Do i know a lot about religions? Yes I do. Does that change anything? Nope.
I couldnt care less who sleeps or marries who. But what I do care is how things are presented.

1. What is marriage?
2. What do people get from marriage?
3. What would gay people get from marriage?

The answer to 2 and 3 are the same thing my friend.

Ponder

International Man of Mystery
Medea said:
It's hard to change one's religious beliefs. That is the main reason, imo, that people are so hard-set against same-sex marriage. Not the initial reaction to any sexual acts between same sex couples. Plenty of guys get off on lesbians doing each other, but because of their religious beliefs, they may not agree with them getting married.

This is one reason bestiality isn't mentioned much, if at all, in the Bible or other religious texts. Everyone already knows it's wrong. It goes without saying.

I'd argue that these religious beliefs and tenants against are simply a very old justification of these immediate emotional responses. It's a feedback loop, where passages were written as an attempt to justify certain feelings and are now used to perpetuate those same feelings. Nevertheless, the root lays in that inherent feeling of wrongness.

In regards to your comment about bestiality in the Bible, it's actually mentioned to a similar extent that homosexuality is. One early (nearly parallel) example is Exodus 22:19, in which it's stated that anyone who has sexual relations with an animal should be put to death. Already, we see that our ancestors felt a need to define the wrongness of this act.

So, since we know the wrongness of bestiality needed to be justified, we can now ask why? Not why is bestiality wrong, but why do we even feel the need to say it's wrong. Essentially, where does the need stem from? How do we possess the intrinsic understanding of the wrongness of bestiality?

From a biological standpoint, does it not make sense to feel intrinsic wrongness when confronted with bestiality? After all, there is absolutely no biological benefit to mating with an animal. Likewise, in a purely biological sense it makes sense to feel that intrinsic wrongness when confronted with homosexuality?

Does this mean I equate homosexuality with bestiality? Certainly not, even biologically. When we mate with another human being to whom we are attracted there are countless physiological reactions to our actions, reactions which produce emotions that far, far outweigh any biological imperative and possibly even negate the negative intrinsic emotions.

Of course, most of us don't feel disgust when confronted by homosexuality (although, unfortunately, plenty do). But that simple lack of attraction is just a much less severe form of the initial negative or positive (it could really come from either direction) emotions.

Just two more things. First, the old testament was written and developed far, far before the height of the Roman Empire and second, there's no legal issues over the legal right to anal sex because there are no heterosexual advocates of only anal sex demanding equal rights. Although, one could easily argue that there is a large percentage of people demanding laws against anal sex. They're called ant-gay activists.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Of course, most of us don't feel disgust when confronted by homosexuality (although, unfortunately, plenty do). But that simple lack of attraction is just a much less severe form of the initial negative or positive (it could really come from either direction) emotions.

Just two more things. First, the old testament was written and developed far, far before the height of the Roman Empire and second, there's no legal issues over the legal right to anal sex because there are no heterosexual advocates of only anal sex demanding equal rights. Although, one could easily argue that there is a large percentage of people demanding laws against anal sex. They're called ant-gay activists.

Two things:

I think it's natural for a heterosexual person to be disgusted by seeing a physical act of homosexuality. It doesn't make them bad people or wrong. They just don't have to watch it. It's like any other sexual preference. I guess I don't have to tell anyone about all the things you can see on the internet if you are into it.

Second, aren't pretty much all of the groups actively trying to ban homosexual acts or same-sex marriage coming from a religious stand-point nowadays?

Ponder

International Man of Mystery
Madea said:
I think it's natural for a heterosexual person to be disgusted by seeing a physical act of homosexuality. It doesn't make them bad people or wrong. They just don't have to watch it. It's like any other sexual preference. I guess I don't have to tell anyone about all the things you can see on the internet if you are into it.

Second, aren't pretty much all of the groups actively trying to ban homosexual acts or same-sex marriage coming from a religious stand-point nowadays?

Exactly. The point I'm arguing is that disgust/discomfort that often serves as the root cause of proclaimed justifications against homosexuality (including those specific aspects of religion), and understanding and empathizing through understanding our own reactions to similar perceived wrongness might enable a better, more efficient way to help those who would take that disgust and impose it on others overcome their desire to do so, and enable them to simply avoid that which they want to avoid.

As for groups opposing sam-sex marriage, it's true that many groups working against it are religious, but that's simply because religion lends itself well to community organization. If you look online, you'll find large amounts of secular opposition as well. However, lack of religion tends not to be a very compelling antecedent to organization.

DarkObliskTower

Dulist kingdom
Let people be what they want to be i'm only thirteen never met a gay in my life but when i first heard the meaning i thought thats okay bieng gay is natural thing that you don't choose people need to come to terms that hetro's aren't the only people on this planet

DarkObliskTower

Dulist kingdom
They need to deal with homo, lesbo, and bisexual people not bully them for not liking the oppiste sex people who bully gays are abouslate idiot

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
I see it this way.

If you were raised by bigots, you become a bigot without any outside help.
It's mostly the same, the anti-gay are people who were raised by people saying Gays are evil.

I find it more to do with Fear of the unknown then the fact that any bad will come of this.

I have no issues with Gays, simply because I don't know them.

What'll they do with their freedom once they obtain it? I don't know, but I know as a human being that it is not only morally disgusting to stop them, but also Humanly wrong to say no to any one person for the rights any other can have.

This isn't the 1800's anymore, Racism, and Hatred is a crutch we need to lose to make us stronger, unfortunately there's plenty of people who think without the crutch we will fall down and hurt ourselves.

They couldn't be anymore wrong.

Bendrix

The day your answer to a and b is the same is the day we archieved equality :)

Being willing to hit physically weaker people has nothing to do with equality. Men have been hitting women since we crawled out of caves wearing furs. It just means you want to justify being a bully.

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
Being willing to hit physically weaker people has nothing to do with equality. Men have been hitting women since we crawled out of caves wearing furs. It just means you want to justify being a bully.
I think the equality in question, was to take both the Man and Woman to bed. Not to hit both.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
It isnt unequal to not want to take someone to bed because of their gender. Personal prefferencees ;) I wouldnt take a man to bed but I would treat someone differently if they do. Theres a slight difference.

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
It isnt unequal to not want to take someone to bed because of their gender. Personal prefferencees ;) I wouldnt take a man to bed but I would treat someone differently if they do. Theres a slight difference.
I agree with you, I was merely correcting the confusion. I highly doubt the person meant to hit both people.

Docta Corvina

I still can't wait for the day that sexual orientation is as inconsequential to people as left or right-handedness. I know it may be a lot to hope for, but honestly.

Celebrate true love where it's found. Don't tear it down.

DJ Luigi

Mama-mia play that song again!
Yeah I'm pretty shocked by the propaganda this has been receiving lately. I personally believe that if two people love each other, they should have the right to get married... the most common counter argument I get from saying that usually has something to do with people saying "WELL if gay marriage is legalized then i should be able to marry my cousin or even my dog." Sorry, not the same thing.. not even close. It'll never get to that point because that truly is an abomination.

Remember the stink interracial marriage created back in the day? They didn't want that and its legal now. It all seems to be about preserving the sanctity of marriage, last I checked Divorce rates have skyrocketed because people are marrying for all the wrong reasons: Wealth, Recognition, Security.. these are the people responsible for destroying the concept of marriage and more than likely the ones that are against gay marriage. Anyway I think Oreo puts it best.
282350_483848251644633_531466706_n.jpg