• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
That's because students in the States are all supposed to be victims. Heroes get punished. At my brother's grade school this was actually school policy: "If someone attacks you, lay on the ground and yell for help until the playground monitor comes to break up the fight." I pl*** you not.

Bullying is a HUGE problem here.

Oh I wouldn't of lasted well there, I was one of those bad kids in School, start on me I hit you with a chair. Being sent to some behavior boarding school for defending yourself was not enjoyable.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Yea, the school system is a bit.... Lacking, shall we say.

My niece basically doesn't have any fair advantage because she missed a whole bunch of school. She's being threatened much like I have to have her credits all wiped out.

She and I are being punished, for being sick even though we had a 3.5 GPA or around there.

So school basically makes you learn, have kids walk over the teachers, chaos insues and if you stand up much like Shadowqueen said, yes you get punished! Unless if you live where I live and have rich kids who's family has been around for a long time you get off the hook. That or if you're good at sports. Where is the justice? :/

Though I'm not saying this is with every school. But society is changing and if schools can't keep up more chaos will come around the corner. And I shudder to think about it.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
That kind of educational fail also carries on to adulthood. 911 anyone? I don't want to sound like a heartless b*tch, but the terrorists had box cutters, and in every plane but one, people sat back and let their captors take over.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
That's because students in the States are all supposed to be victims. Heroes get punished. At my brother's grade school this was actually school policy: "If someone attacks you, lay on the ground and yell for help until the playground monitor comes to break up the fight." I pl*** you not.

That is crazy why would you get told to do that surely you would end up getting a good kicking.

I dont know if I was lucky or not but I never got bullied that much at school, anyone gave me plops I would punch them in the face yes I got expelled twice and put on report but I got left alone by other kids.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Different people's minds work in different ways. I have strong opinions about such topics but not everyone who disapproves is a jackas*. Blame over half of America's population for being stupid. (At least it seems that way sometimes)
That sort of problem is around the world, not just in the good ol' USofA. Some countries throughout the middle east see it as men are for pleasure while women are for reproducing, can't have sex for fun and pleasure with a woman you meet in a bar like out here in the States or be fooled by a man who looks like a woman in Thailand. That's weird to me but I don't care about it since I'm not in those countries and don't plan on visiting.
Yes, we do have plenty of sex changes but they're not so common in most of the states and so quick to be fooled by like in other countries is what I'm saying.

Benthos

Proud Mer

That is a huge mess, if a kid is beating on you and you lay on the ground, they're going to stomp you even further, causing more unnecessary damage and can kill. That sort of rule can backfire severely to the victim, their family, and the school.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Aye, because I'm sure only republicans breed ill behaved brats.

Foolish.

Is it? Just let me know when a group of liberals start going around beating up and humiliating gays.

I'm not attacking all conservatives, and I know liberals have their fair share of bullies. But in cases like this, who else is there to blame? All the hate against homosexuals comes from the religious right.

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
Is it? Just let me know when a group of liberals start going around beating up and humiliating gays.

I'm not attacking all conservatives, and I know liberals have their fair share of bullies. But in cases like this, who else is there to blame? All the hate against homosexuals comes from the religious right.

Really? So athiests never bash gays? Democrats never call people fags?

Open your eyes, lass. The world isn't black and white. There is no one "good" party, or "evil" party. To belive otherwise is the height of naivety.

Something I've always found amusing with the far left is how easily they can bash people with different beliefs than theirs, right after ranting about how everyone should be open minded and tolerant.

OrexxerO

Lots of emotion and passion in this thread. That is a good thing! I would like to offer my opinion/view on this topic however, because it is a strong topic in the United States, of which most of us on this site are a part.

Obviously we have people in this thread who are of both republican and democrat, right and left thinking. Well, I fall more on the right/conservative mindset. Reason? The biggest reason foremost is I am a Latter Day Saint, or as most people know us, Mormons.

And as im sure most of you know. My church's stance is we are against gay marriage. Now, that is not to say we are educated or told to HATE gay and lesbian people. But we simply believe God said that that is not the way marriage is supposed to be, and that by Gods law a man and a man and a woman and a woman cannot be married. But that is our church only, and I can tell you guys that I harbor no ill feelings towards anyone who is Gay or Lesbian. I confess I cannot understand it.....it seems Odd to me. But I would be one of the first to defend a Gay or Lesbian person if they were being verbally or otherwise abused. They don't deserve it.

I just wanted some of you to hear it from a guy whos mormon, conservative, and in the republican party who does not agree with the concept of gay marriage, but would never persecute the people who make up that community, because they are still people, and more importantly to me and members of my church who aren't stupid, they are still sons and daughters of God to us and deserve equal respect. That does not change however, the stance that we believe God outlawed marriage between anything other then a man or a woman, and we are not about to not obey God's laws as we see and interpret them.

But I can honestly say again, that I harbor no ill feelings or hate towards people of any belief. If I did I would be worse then them. And what some of you have said is true, there are people of Christian based beliefs, and other beliefs, who hate others.....and to be hateful is to be a total hypocrite in my opinion.

I hope that this helps :).

Docta Corvina

Unfortunately, I don't see things like this stopping until humanity becomes considerably more enlightened and innately empathetic. Because while in this case it was hatred toward homosexuals that occurred, things like this happen to people all over the world for all sorts of reasons. It's the "Othering", the marginalization (as well as dehumanization) of people who don't fit into a certain perceived/socially-constructed group (ie. race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.). It's something that's been around as long as humans have existed. I certainly don't mean to suggest that we should just throw our hands up in the air and say "Ah well, people just suck" and walk on - people of conscience should do what we can to address it and push back against it. We collectively should never just accept such viciousness against one another.

I personally have never understood the hatred for members of the GLBT community. Why should I care if someone is attracted to their gender? Honestly, the only time I care is if I'm romantically interested in a man and it turns out he might actually be gay - and I thusly would have no hope. It's happened to me before. :p Beyond that, it's not my business. It's as inconsequential to me as whether someone is left or right-handed.

feliciano182

Sorry if I offended any right-wingers on here. I'm just sick of certain aspects of the conservative party. I didn't mean to lump all of you in to one group.

Is there anything redeemable from right-wing politics ?

It's one thing to disapprove of homosexuality

A terrible, and very very VERY stupid thing.

Personally, as time passes, the less and less I can tolerate people thinking "homosexuality is wrong", this is the 21st century, the year 2013, the Age Of Information; this is not Medieval England or France for people to go around spreading their ignorance, hate and misunderstanding with the excuse that it's "their opinion" or "their faith".

When you are wrong, you are wrong, we don't respect the opinion of people who think The Earth is flat, that slavery was a good thing, or that dictatorships are the ideal form of government, so why the hell should we respect their opinion that homosexuality "is wrong" ?

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
My opinions on this can be summed up in two words: Power struggle.

Let me explain.

These girls clearly have some kind of issue that is making them feel inferior. This inferiority festers until they find someone that they can exert dominance over. Homosexuality is a big topic in the news lately, and something clicked in their heads saying "let's beat up on this girl because she is a homosexual and therefore beneath me." This has nothing to do with political leanings at this point, this has everything to do with their perception of what is cool. Not knowing the area that you live in or the general belief system of its residents, I'm not going to make any assumptions about the societal factors here. Clearly, they somehow got it in their head that homosexuals are beneath them, most likely from family values or the sensationalist media. And the sad truth is, it only takes one person going "hey, let's go beat up the fag" (forgive my language) and everyone's gonna follow suit - especially if it's the "leader" saying it. Peer pressure is a powerful tool, even when there's barely any pressure applied, and the higher the status of the person applying it, the more powerful it is.

It is a disgusting act, to be sure. But going and automatically assuming that they're super conservative Republicans is jumping off the deep end. I tend to find myself severely disagreeing with their platform to be sure, but for we only hear about the crazy Republicans on television. There are plenty of decent ones out there, who might not agree with homosexuality and feel that it is wrong, but also understand that America is a country of choice and therefore they leave well enough alone. I also know plenty of Christians who are completely okay with other beliefs and while they are ready and willing to talk about theology with people, they most certainly do not force their beliefs on anyone. So before this turns into a huge Republican/Democratic battle, how about we focus on the matter at hand, that yet another student was bullied by a bunch of girls with self-esteem issues.

OrexxerO

I personally have never understood the hatred for members of the GLBT community.

Im not giving this as an excuse or justification for hating. Just simply an explanation of at least one reason why this occurs.

Being of a christian background and what not, the thing that I know people of christian faiths fear are two things, that if gay marriage is approved everywhere and becomes common, that the next step would be laws forcing any minister of any faith to perform their ceremonies regardless of their religions laws. Also, remember guys that people of many Christian faiths really do believe in a very powerful and almighty God. And that he in the past (bible) has severely punished the earth for not following his sacred laws in the past. Thus some Christians today take that to a whole new level and hate on the gay community because thats the only way they can express their fear of Gods wrath coming upon this country as a whole.

Again, im not giving this as any excuse for hate, see my previous post, just saying that these are two possibilities of where hate can come from. Its usually fear manifesting itself in the most unfortunate expression.

sticky runes

If those girls really did that, I hope they were reprimanded properly. If a group of youngsters made a boy do that to a girl, it would basically be seen as encouraging rape. Doesn't make it any less offensive if they do it to two members of the same sex.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Really? So athiests never bash gays? Democrats never call people fags?

The vast majority of democrats and atheists don't call people "fag" when they are referring to the homosexual lifestyle. I have nothing to prove here. It's obvious that extreme right wingers are the ones against gays. It isn't that hard to see.

Open your eyes, lass. The world isn't black and white. There is no one "good" party, or "evil" party. To belive otherwise is the height of naivety.

I'm not attacking all conservatives, and I know liberals have their fair share of bullies.

Adolf Stormcloak

My title's better than your title
Im not giving this as an excuse or justification for hating. Just simply an explanation of at least one reason why this occurs.

Being of a christian background and what not, the thing that I know people of christian faiths fear are two things, that if gay marriage is approved everywhere and becomes common, that the next step would be laws forcing any minister of any faith to perform their ceremonies regardless of their religions laws. Also, remember guys that people of many Christian faiths really do believe in a very powerful and almighty God. And that he in the past (bible) has severely punished the earth for not following his sacred laws in the past. Thus some Christians today take that to a whole new level and hate on the gay community because thats the only way they can express their fear of Gods wrath coming upon this country as a whole.

Again, im not giving this as any excuse for hate, see my previous post, just saying that these are two possibilities of where hate can come from. Its usually fear manifesting itself in the most unfortunate expression.

Somewhere in the bible it also says that men are not allowed to trim their beards or shave their heads, but I've yet to be smited down by God each time I've shaved.

kyleekay

I'm not into politics really for this reason- sweeping generalizations on both sides. I understand that each party has a set of beliefs that people generally follow, but it's very important to remember that everyone is an individual. I am a Christian who probably leans towards being a republican on most issues, but at the same time, I am in support of gay marriage and assorted other "liberal" beliefs.

I just had an inkling this might turn into a "which party is better" debate and wanted to get my two cents in before it did turn into that. I think the main issue of the OP is that a hate crime was committed- does it really matter what party those kids currently associate with, or which one they'll associate with in the future? Nope, not really. Hate is hate, doesn't matter who it's coming from, and it's wrong no matter what.

I hope the girl(s) were okay, OP. It really is unbelievable how mean kids (people in general?) can be sometimes.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
It really is unbelievable how mean kids (people in general?) can be sometimes.

This exactly! and I mean people in general.

If you are only a bit different from the "normal" people, you are a target for life! For some reason my time at high school was a very bad time for me, I wasn't popular but I dared to speak up againts the popular kids. this made me a target of being bullied, ridiculed and whatnot. I got smacked to my face, kicked around and pushed off stairs. but I never gave in..

But now I think back of it all. I'm sure if I could do it all over, I would do it the same! screw the poplar kids who decide who's cool and who should be bullied! I made friends for life during my "not-so-nice" school years..

At the end off the last year, I was like a king of outcasts, only for being stubborn enough not to give in.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts