• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
The title says it all really and I apologize if this is posted somewhere else already. My favorite is Aranea Ienith from the Azura's Star quest. She's a pretty sweet mage and even though she may be slow to catch up to my character, she deals some hefty blows from a distance. I gave her two staffs -- one of lightning and the other of fire and she's all about dual wielding them. She also uses flame and frost atronachs and I must say, the frost one scares me to death. It occasionally will hit me instead but I won't mess with it. Aranea is also pretty sneaky and won't blow my cover when I'm creeping up on someone. She has also helped me progress through several quests where I couldn't complete them on my own. Now it's your turn.

I'm a lone wolf.

Invader Vin

I never got around to using the spectral assassin much. I know he says stuff during the final dark brotherhood quest but after that, I never used him much so had no idea he had some funny things to say.

As for my favorite, it's definitely Janessa. I play a stealthy/ranger type so she fits in by not always alerting enemies to our presence. I swear she also seems to have the perk that allows her to step over pressure plate traps and not activate them so there is that as well. She's also a decent fighter and will dual wield so she is also viable in melee. She is also surprisingly friendly which is at odds with my initial impression of her. When I first ran into her in the drunken huntsman I got the feeling she was this shady sinister character (which she may be who knows) but she always comes off as rather pleasant to have around and I've grown accustomed to having her by my side.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
I'm more of a lone wolf, but when I do use followers I use the female Dark Brotherhood initiate and Spectral Assassin.

Purr

:3
Belrand, because he was my first follower ever and we have good and warm relationship. ;D He's little annoying when he uses his familiar because he uses it too often. But beside that, he is awesome and strong! He is good follower to warrior or mage and those characters I use most often.

R.I.P Belrand... in my favorite save he is already dead and gone, I can't found him anywhere so it seems that he is dead. :'( I miss you!

Cicero is awesome too if you like listening his stupid things (I think he says funny things). With him anywhere is never too quiet and boring!

Critical

After complete the Dark Brother Hood quests and new recruits are in I have taken the female from there, she's got good sneak so I can still assassinate

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
Farkas & Vilkas. They're pretty much unkillable and they're nice to look at. Only downside is their crappy sneaking ability; the moment the enemy starts to detect you they run out and start slashing, whereas I prefer to pick the bad guys off one by one.

Vinz

I prefer to play alone but if I need a mage to back me up then definitely Illia. She is a fantastic ice mage and her icy spears often send bandits flying before I can reach them. In my previous character I gave her the Sanguine Rose and her mother's staff and she kicked some serious ass with them too.

I used to have Vilkas and Farkas for followers too but then I married Vilkas so I was just left with Farkas. Once I completed the quest for Farkas to no longer be a werewolf, he wasn't that cool to me any more and I sent him back to Jorrvaskr. Vilkas is still in Breezehome safe and sound.

Aranea is pretty cool because even as I'm sitting on top of a rocky point and picking off enemies with my bow, she just chills and waits for me to get near the action before fighting. Last night I picked off ten Imperial soldiers before looting the bodies and she stood watch against the Imperial Legate (they can't die) so when he got up again, she would only send him back to his knees. If something ever happens to her, I may cry.

Gowsh

Old Fart
This is slightly off thread, but am I really missing out by not taking a follower?

In most of the games I've played, followers just got in the way acting like idiots and died. The first 2 Fallout games were like that.

The only follower I've had in Skyrim is that stupid talking dog Barbas. He kept pushing me when I was trying to line up cross-hairs on things. This resulted in my being able to open a housewares stand, selling mugs, plates and tankards. It was also enjoyable to have him bump me when trying to line up a bow shot. And the jokes? Shoot me now. He got his in the end, but he absolutely turned me off on followers.

Where have I gone wrong?

BTW, after playing noble Nordic bashers, the new character is a stealthy, amoral dual-wielder who's looking forward to sampling the dark side of Skyrim.

Gowsh; it's really up to you and who you get for a follower. I didn't have any followers for the longest time unless they were necessary for quests. That was until I found Aranea and decided to try it again since she doesn't really have a purpose after the Azura Star quest.

Some are absolutely in the way all the time and are annoying to listen to. Others have neat combat skills, don't get in the way, sneak better than you might, and have cool things to say. It's just something you kind of have to try a couple times before deciding if you really like it or not. At least that's my take on it.

perkecet

barbas is a special case in that he's annoying as hell. it would be silly for all followers do act that way, they don't. he's a quest follower, not a permanent follower. permanent followers take orders and act reasonably.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I like all the mercenaries because they have unique dialogue, but Jenessa is my favorite. Unfortunately after using the wabbajack on her (that sounds dirty) I can't marry her and she randomly disappears from the game. Cicero, Illia, and Aranea are all some of my favorites too; I generally prefer ranged followers, the warriors get in my way and usually end up with an axe to the head.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I usually have Uthgerd as a follower. She is a better than most Housecarls in my opinion and you only have to beat her up to become a follower.. Plus her being a big ugly bad-ace is kinda like having my own Brienne of Tarth.

Just try something different I just recruited Jenassa.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
This is slightly off thread, but am I really missing out by not taking a follower?

In most of the games I've played, followers just got in the way acting like idiots and died. The first 2 Fallout games were like that.

The only follower I've had in Skyrim is that stupid talking dog Barbas. He kept pushing me when I was trying to line up cross-hairs on things. This resulted in my being able to open a housewares stand, selling mugs, plates and tankards. It was also enjoyable to have him bump me when trying to line up a bow shot. And the jokes? Shoot me now. He got his in the end, but he absolutely turned me off on followers.

Where have I gone wrong?

BTW, after playing noble Nordic bashers, the new character is a stealthy, amoral dual-wielder who's looking forward to sampling the dark side of Skyrim.

This post made me facepalm heavily. Barbas is a special event follower, that you can just happen to have follow you around if you don't do his quest right away. Even normal dog followers don't do what Barbas does, so I don't understand why he was the one who turned you off. He's not a traditional follower. The ones I use are awesome, and have helped me more than hindered.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts