Fast Food Wage Increase - USA

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

kyleekay

Cylos that's an interesting point, but, it seems like it wouldn't solve anything. On the surface it would be great if everyone got a raise, but then wouldn't cost of living just get higher again as well? If cost of living went up again, those on the bottom tier (ie; fast food workers) would still feel that they were underpaid.

I'm no economist, so if I'm wrong on that please forgive me. :)

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
Cylos that's an interesting point, but, it seems like it wouldn't solve anything. On the surface it would be great if everyone got a raise, but then wouldn't cost of living just get higher again as well? If cost of living went up again, those on the bottom tier (ie; fast food workers) would still feel that they were underpaid.

I'm no economist, so if I'm wrong on that please forgive me. :)

You make a good point. I don't mean to sound condescending but it wouldn't. It depends on the level of inflation, you can keep wages at respectable level without the cost of living skyrocketing. It depends on the competence of the policymakers and the current economic status. Inflation on goods isn't based on wages, its based upon shifts in markets and in some circumstances corporations pushing prices to increase profit.
I'm no economist either, I'm happy for anyone to show me if I said something incorrect.
If I did sound condescending you can send a virtual punch through to my face :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
A return to pre-Reagonomic economic policies won't end unfavorable views regarding unmerited compensation for fast food workers in comparison to positions requiring an actual investment in skill development and/or education because those policies had little impact on minumum wage (minimum wage increased by less than a net 35% during the Carter administration while fast food workers are advocating for a net increase of 107% for the same period of time). While the prior economic policies could still be beneficial to fast food workers it takes a bit more analysis and understanding of what those policies entail to understand why this is so. If you want to read the TL/DR version you can click on the spolier tag below.

If you're talking about pre-Reaganomics, you're basically talking about Keynesian economics, i.e. policies focused on demand side economics (Reaganomics focuses on supply side economics). Those policies don't necessarily equate to higher wages in general and they certainly don't equate to higher wages for fast food employees because the policies focus on addressing real value wages rather than nominal value wages. The latter is the actual dollar amount while the former is the spending power that individual wage income represents. An example of how real value would be increased is by increased government spending on infrastructure and social welfare.

If I make $20k a year but the government invests in infrastructure such that my mass transit costs (subway, bus) are static rather than increasing substantially over the course of a few years that's more money I can spend in the consumer market to stimulate the economy. Similarly if a free or afforable subsidized health care clinic opens up in my neighborhood and/or there is real government subsidized free healthcare, that is also more money I can now spend in the stream of commerce. Investing in infrastructure also means increased employment in building, maintaining, and/or upgrading that infrastructure, i.e job creation at wages better than minimum wage.

Aside from fiscal policy, there's also monetary policy, which is already largely in place in the form of lowered interest rates. That's going to gradually change over time and is a current hot button topic in terms of what's going on at the Federal Reserve. In theory by lowering federal interest rates, banks and other financial institutions are more likely to extend credit to businesses to stimulate business growth which can lead to increased employment and increased wages.

While all of this has the potential to create better employment opportunities, none of it would result in any substantial increase in the wage of fast food workers because that's nominal value wages and not real value wages and any increase in real value wage is largely through the creation of better jobs, i.e. jobs that actually merit better pay because they require higher skill sets or entail gaining higher skill sets on the job (something that's never going to happen for line and counter workers in a fast food restaurant).

There's no push for substantial increase in minimum wage under Keynesian economic policies. Although the increase of minimum wage to keep up with inflation/COLA generally coincides under such policies, that's a far cry from the net increase of 107% for the past four years that some fast food workers are advocating. (Washington State ties its minimum wage increases to COLA and it's currently $9.19 per hour.)

Of course all this money has to come from somewhere which is why Keynesian economics is often associated with deficit spending. If the policies work, that can be minimized by increases in employment and real wages which in turn can result in increases in GDP and federal revenues. Regarding inflation that's dealt with by cyclically slowing down the economy which can be brought about by tax increases and increases in interest rates.

Last edited:

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Inflation on goods isn't based on wages, its based upon shifts in markets and in some circumstances corporations pushing prices to increase profit.
Inflation is based partially on real wages (spending power that one's income represents as a opposed to nominal wages which are actual dollar amounts that can be meaningless if cost of living essentials such as housing, food and gas go up along with them). Historically speaking when real wages have gone up, consumer purchases have gone up which in turn increased demand and market pricing. The key to staving of inflation, or worse, hyperinflation, is knowing when to cool the economy down. Timed correctly, in theory, tools like temporary tax increases and increases in the federal interest rate can accomplish that goal. Economic policies that are so rigid that they adopt dogmatic axioms like "never raise taxes on the middle class" or "deficit spending is always bad" are always doomed to failure. There is a proper time and place for flexibility in any sound economic policy.

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
Long story short, why can't we all just get along. I don't have the energy to even reply to Dagmar, that's how articulate she is.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts