Ever had the game just lock up for no reason? :/

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Sometimes the Xbox freezes because there is too much for the xbox to handle, memory wise. As well as emptying your cache, try emptying things you no longer need from your inventory. Things such as keys. How many of them do we end up with? Make sure you are not going to need them before you dump them, and put them in a chest that you know will respawn or dead body that will eventually just disappear.
you can't drop keys, far as i know, unless they changed that in a patch.. keys are items you keep no matter what. also every enemy you kill that isn't using a bow leaves his/her weapon perminately behind, and they NEVER dissapear, this is why you end up with random "floating weapons" all over the place if you cause a lot of chaos, my guess is its caused by the game not loading the weapons properly so they turn up floating in mid air..

Chadonraz

you can't drop keys, far as i know, unless they changed that in a patch.. keys are items you keep no matter what. also every enemy you kill that isn't using a bow leaves his/her weapon perminately behind, and they NEVER dissapear, this is why you end up with random "floating weapons" all over the place if you cause a lot of chaos, my guess is its caused by the game not loading the weapons properly so they turn up floating in mid air..

You can't drop keys, but you can store them. The keys I stored in that thief/Thalmor/whatever enemy it was have vanished along with the body. :)

As for floating weapons, sometimes you can pick them up from the air, or get them to drop to the ground and then pick them up. Store them in a corpse that's going to vanish, and voilà. My Falkreath is going to get considerably tidier once the latest corpses/remains disappear. :D

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

You can't drop keys, but you can store them. The keys I stored in that thief/Thalmor/whatever enemy it was have vanished along with the body. :)

As for floating weapons, sometimes you can pick them up from the air, or get them to drop to the ground and then pick them up. Store them in a corpse that's going to vanish, and voilà. My Falkreath is going to get considerably tidier once the latest corpses/remains disappear. :D
ohh.. wasn't aware of that, well you'd certainly need to be careful doing that as some areas would be permanently unaccessable once you got rid of the key to that door..
sometimes you can walk into floating weapons and they'll drop, allowing you to pick them up but doing this everywhere you go is just silly, taxing on your carryweight and pointless cause its GOING to happen again.. and again and again.. i can't imagine why bethesda designed it this way if they knew the game had to keep track of all those weapons, i mean if you didn't take the weapon after you dropped the enemy you obviously didn't want it so theirs no need for it to stick around like that.. makes no sense to me.

Chadonraz

ohh.. wasn't aware of that, well you'd certainly need to be careful doing that as some areas would be permanently unaccessable once you got rid of the key to that door...

True, however many keys respawn along with their dungeon/original holder.

When I got rid of that load of keys, I only left my keys to Breezehome and Hjerim (don't own Hjerim, but in case I do buy it). I shouldn't need those, at least not the key to Breezehome, but I can't really afford to risk getting locked out of my own house. :D

Delphine's secret door key is one that won't respawn, but I shouldn't need that, either. Some keys to dungeons I got rid of because the dungeons never respawn (Dustman's Cairn Key comes to mind), or I know for certain that they will respawn with the dungeon's containers and/or enemies.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Also, got nothing to do with freezing while in the middle of nowhere, but if you store a lot of items in 1 house than it can take a really long time to load and increases risk of freezing when entering/exiting the house. Books in bookcases are horrendeous for this in hearthfire libraries.

The only other advise I can think of is 'Sell your Crap!'

I know you think there will come a time when you'll really need all 31 philter of defendors and you cant leave home without 200health potions but stuff like that can cause major lagging!

Thanks guys . Im gonna trim down the auto travel thing and , keep things cleaned up better ...All good info , much appreciate the comments. I never even thought of to many books , I got to many of them also.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Also, got nothing to do with freezing while in the middle of nowhere, but if you store a lot of items in 1 house than it can take a really long time to load and increases risk of freezing when entering/exiting the house. Books in bookcases are horrendeous for this in hearthfire libraries.

I know you think there will come a time when you'll really need all 31 philter of defendors and you cant leave home without 200health potions but stuff like that can cause major lagging!
yea i try to keep things stored in owned homes to a minimum of collected or created rare arrows and things such as that which i know for a fact i'll use eventually, the only potions i use in the game are healing and stamina, i also never collect minor versions of these as they provide so little their useless imo, i'll collect another kind of potion but only if its worth a heap of gold..
btw i see you're a fan of the LoK series, thats like my favorite game series of all time, i rarely meet anyone online who's even heard of it, so thats awesome! ;)

Manmangler

yea i try to keep things stored in owned homes to a minimum of collected or created rare arrows and things such as that which i know for a fact i'll use eventually, the only potions i use in the game are healing and stamina, i also never collect minor versions of these as they provide so little their useless imo, i'll collect another kind of potion but only if its worth a heap of gold..
btw i see you're a fan of the LoK series, thats like my favorite game series of all time, i rarely meet anyone online who's even heard of it, so thats awesome! ;)

I pray that PC can stand more bloated saves than consoles. My character take everyhing that is not nailed to tha floor. Lakeview manor is my storehouse. For exsample, there is 1001 tankards in one container. I stored different style stuff in different containers. If I put too many different things in same container, it slows down and eventually crash. I konow that PC will handled much bigger saves. Once y save was bloated when two mods conflicts each others. Save file was only 80 MB. Removing one mod, it debloated to 16 MB.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

yeah i certainly do love the Legacy of Kain games! The pic works well because it sorta looks like my main character; white long hair, very pale skinned dunmer and of course a bloodsucker!

Chadonraz

I had been picking up pretty much all potions I found, and the chest in my alchemy lab had hundreds of bottles in it. Whenever one of the Whiterun guards suggested I head to Arcadia's Cauldron if I need potions, I thought "Nah, I'll just search my own supply. It's got everything." :D

As part of my huge cleanup of Breezehome I got rid of all potions except healing, health poisons, invisibility and pickpocketing (the last one because one of the DG radiant quests requires pickpocketing). I now only pick up those four types, plus Ultimate Stamina/Magicka.
I also dragged away all of my smithing supplies apart from dragon bones & scales, ebony, stahlrim and flawless gems. I finally hit 100 skill, and am not planning on going legendary in the (near) future.

While I was at it, I emptied out my containers filled with unenchanted (to be enchanted) and enchanted stuff, only leaving pre-enchanted Ebony plus any Daedric and above in quality. Also some of my unique/special weapons/apparel, including but not limited to Daedric artifacts, amulets of the Divines (one of each) and a bunch of unique items that I might actually put to use (like Deathbrand's scimitars, the Locket of Saint Jiub and Auriel's Bow).

I had also been picking up all spell tomes I found, and it was time to say goodbye to those as well, along with 20+ DB assassin's notes (finally destroyed them, so no more of those coming) and all imaginable kinds of random letters and notes. Kept the one from Siddgeir, Letters from a Friend and Treasure Maps, but that's pretty much it.
I still have a ton of books, but they're real books that I will read at some point.

I'm sure Adrianne was grateful for the random books I sold her (the spell tomes, Valerica's journal, Watchtower Guard's letter etc.). :D
Everything else I got rid of I stored in a vampire's corpse (I went random encounter hunting in search of a suitable, quick-to-vanish container, riding my horse because I was seriously over-encumbered so I could only watch the Vigilants s l o w l y kill the vamp).

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

yeah i certainly do love the Legacy of Kain games! The pic works well because it sorta looks like my main character; white long hair, very pale skinned dunmer and of course a bloodsucker!
indeed.. my level 72 Kain, who is a nord necromancer vampire, i've been working on for well over a year and he's nearly at 81, i'm hoping i'll earn an achievement when i finally hit the max level with him.. my other main character, level 58 Raziel, who is a high elf 2 hander warrior vampire is also a beast and wields a dragonbone greatsword smithed legendary with soul trap and paralysis enchanted onto it properly named "The Soul Reaver"
The LoK games are actually the only reason i go back to my ps2 sometimes, i got them all including the original on ps1 and the first Soul Reaver "which was surprisingly even harder to find on ebay than the original game", Blood Omen 2 is still my personal favorite as far as gameplay goes, but i still go back to Defiance and SR2 sometimes for the story..

JClarke1953

Been playing this game on xbox for a long time and sometimes i can literally play for hours on in with no issues at all, flawlessly.. but other times i'll just be walking to a destination, no enemies around, no nothing, then bam.. game stops right in its tracks, all sound instantly stops as if i muted my tv and the guide button won't even respond so i have to unplug the damn cord from the wall just to shut the console off! it is rage inducing, not to mention it can't be good for the console.. i'm not talking about fast travel freeze ups, or freezes when exiting or entering a door or cave, that just happens sometimes.. i'm talking about an instant total lock up, sound and all just from walking around. anyone else ever experienced this?

I've not experienced what you said you have, as yet, and I play on the Black, or "slim" XBox 360. At least not to the point of having to unplug my electronics.

Perhaps there might be dust of other foreign matter inside? It's a "computer" of sorts, and dust particles may be inside, especially if tobacco is used. Or the hard drive might have a "hot spot" as I know the console gets quite warm. I put mine on small rubber pads at each corner, putting about a half inch between the underside of the XBox and the shelf for better cooling and heat exchange.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Been playing this game on xbox for a long time and sometimes i can literally play for hours on in with no issues at all, flawlessly.. but other times i'll just be walking to a destination, no enemies around, no nothing, then bam.. game stops right in its tracks, all sound instantly stops as if i muted my tv and the guide button won't even respond so i have to unplug the damn cord from the wall just to shut the console off! it is rage inducing, not to mention it can't be good for the console.. i'm not talking about fast travel freeze ups, or freezes when exiting or entering a door or cave, that just happens sometimes.. i'm talking about an instant total lock up, sound and all just from walking around. anyone else ever experienced this?

I've not experienced what you said you have, as yet, and I play on the Black, or "slim" XBox 360. At least not to the point of having to unplug my electronics.

Perhaps there might be dust of other foreign matter inside? It's a "computer" of sorts, and dust particles may be inside, especially if tobacco is used. Or the hard drive might have a "hot spot" as I know the console gets quite warm. I put mine on small rubber pads at each corner, putting about a half inch between the underside of the XBox and the shelf for better cooling and heat exchange.
my xbox is a black 250 gig and brand new, i haven't even owned it a year yet, i also cover it with a cloth when its not gonna be in use for awhile "little trick i learned from a friend" so i don't see how it could be a dust issue, and i don't smoke so thats not it.. seems to happen in sessions too which is truly weird, sometimes it'll go for a week or two with no freeze ups at all, then it'll freeze while walking around, freeze while fighting, freeze when i exit a door, ect.. then go back to playing normal for awhile, makes no sense.

jarif

Could be a lot of things for example fps, I heard fps outside whiterun is a bit heavy, it could also be not being a clean save? Do you know that that everything you loot and kill is actually saved in a box outside the game itself so it could be too much work loading up everything in the game. Like when you exit a interior, you are loading up the whole game so too much information. Another thing, not sure if this applies to consoles or a point in mentioning but their is a mod that fixes this, the PC cannot use more than 3.1 GB so yeah.

JClarke1953

Someone mentioned what you just did jarid, just in another thread someplace. Something about killing NPC's, and then leaving weapon's strewn around. It was said to put any unlooted weapon with said corpse, that way, when the corpse finally goes, so does what it had.

I know I've had freezes, not as bad as Clown has had, but freezes nonetheless when I've had too much inventory on my char. I got stuck in a vendor's store after buying their stock of reagents. Finally had to revert to when I entered the store, and to not buy so much.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
yea today i couldn't even get out of solitude without it freezing up, game locked up on the loading screen soon as i tried to leave and i had only been playing like 15 minutes! of course after i unplugged/replugged the power cord it played just fine for the next 4 hours.. like i said weird.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
yea today i couldn't even get out of solitude without it freezing up, game locked up on the loading screen soon as i tried to leave and i had only been playing like 15 minutes! of course after i unplugged/replugged the power cord it played just fine for the next 4 hours.. like i said weird.

4 hours. Lol
How easy it is to (I wont say waste) 4 or more hours on a computer game.
Thank ***k for skyrim :D
wish i was getting paid to play it...
anyone???
im a good worker :p

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

4 hours. Lol
anyone???
well.. it was raining outside.. and i was bored.. :oops:

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

4 hours. Lol
anyone???
well.. it was raining outside.. and i was bored.. :oops:

Haha you dont have to tell me your excuses. I spend in excess of 4 hours on the game more often than i care to admit!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts