Ever had the game just lock up for no reason? :/

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Been playing this game on xbox for a long time and sometimes i can literally play for hours on in with no issues at all, flawlessly.. but other times i'll just be walking to a destination, no enemies around, no nothing, then bam.. game stops right in its tracks, all sound instantly stops as if i muted my tv and the guide button won't even respond so i have to unplug the damn cord from the wall just to shut the console off! it is rage inducing, not to mention it can't be good for the console.. i'm not talking about fast travel freeze ups, or freezes when exiting or entering a door or cave, that just happens sometimes.. i'm talking about an instant total lock up, sound and all just from walking around. anyone else ever experienced this?

Chadonraz

Oh yes. The game randomly freezes at least once per day. -.-
I tried clearing my console's cache, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

I have noticed that some areas are more likely to cause a freezing than others. The road from Whiterun to the Reach is really bad, for example.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
Yes, and it's the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced, and I've played all three Jak games. There is nothing worse then an out of place, unexpected, freeze.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Oh yes. The game randomly freezes at least once per day. -.-
I tried clearing my console's cache, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

I have noticed that some areas are more likely to cause a freezing than others. The road from Whiterun to the Reach is really bad, for example.
yea i clear the cache literally EVERY TIME i decide to play skyrim and it doesn't seem to make any difference.. what i don't understand is how the game can crash when theirs nothing at all going on other than my character simply walking around, at least if it was in the middle of a battle it could be explained by there being too much on the screen at one time perhaps but this just makes no sense! i'm the type of person who always looks at things from a logical point of view and it drives me crazy when i can't explain something, theirs no reason for a sudden lock up like this and thats what bugs me about it, on top of that my 250 gig xbox 360 is BRAND NEW! i haven't even owned it a year yet and i thought this version of skyrim was supposed to be the one with no issues! thats actually the main reason i bought the console. :confused:

Manmangler

I have several weird crash to desktop in PC after Dawnguard was released. I even try clean install, no mods and new save. Even then sometimes it crashes. Then I found it. My follower Serena try cath my up and collided with tree or drop of cliff. Then I started to wait followers, aka I usually turn around and wait them, not allowing them left too much behind (The followers start run almost straight line to you character).

Chadonraz

I have several weird crash to desktop in PC after Dawnguard was released. I even try clean install, no mods and new save. Even then sometimes it crashes. Then I found it. My follower Serena try cath my up and collided with tree or drop of cliff. Then I started to wait followers, aka I usually turn around and wait them, not allowing them left too much behind (The followers start run almost straight line to you character).

Now that you mention Dawnguard, I think it is the reason behind these freezes. I know I didn't have any problems when I first bought my 360 and started playing Skyrim in January.

DG also silenced wolves, not that that has anything to do with game freezes.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Yes, and it's the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced, and I've played all three Jak games. There is nothing worse then an out of place, unexpected, freeze.
its so annoying that sometimes i honestly wonder if its even worth it, problem is this game is sooooo damn addictive, especially when you have tons of hours invested into a character.. NONE of my other games do this! just skyrim.. and the part that really pisses me off is the xbox version was not supposed to have any of these issues according to all the articles i read on it.

I really wish The new Legend version had been all seperate disc's . I don't like the Dawnguard dlc that much and could just not installed it. BUT X-BOX 360 I have to install them all , and that is why we have the lock ups ( Dawnguard) :mad:

DuhSkyrim

I make sure to save often as it will happen to me if I play for long hours. The Xbox 360 isn't really that powerful of a console these days, with only 512mb of RAM, it's hard to run a game like Skyrim. It will of course, but it'll freeze often. I have my copy installed, but it doesn't help me out too much. :sadface:

Vaga8ond

I have the PS3 version and it happens to me at least once every other play session. I thought it was the disk being dirty or something but after hearing all you guys complaints I know its probably just a buggy game.

TJ0331

Nords forever
My game freezes every now and again. Thank the gods for autosaves. Yesterday I was attacked by 3 soul gem traps and my game got so slow and laggy I had to save and reload it.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I really wish The new Legend version had been all seperate disc's . I don't like the Dawnguard dlc that much and could just not installed it. BUT X-BOX 360 I have to install them all , and that is why we have the lock ups ( Dawnguard) :mad:
i dunno about that m8, the game was locking up on me like this long before i ever purchased any dlc..

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Sometimes the Xbox freezes because there is too much for the xbox to handle, memory wise. As well as emptying your cache, try emptying things you no longer need from your inventory. Things such as keys. How many of them do we end up with? Make sure you are not going to need them before you dump them, and put them in a chest that you know will respawn or dead body that will eventually just disappear.

Sometimes the Xbox freezes because there is too much for the xbox to handle, memory wise. As well as emptying your cache, try emptying things you no longer need from your inventory. Things such as keys. How many of them do we end up with? Make sure you are not going to need them before you dump them, and put them in a chest that you know will respawn or dead body that will eventually just disappear.

Hey Kit Ill dump some keys , Thanks for tip :)

LuChao

The Martial artist
I run them on PS3 and only times I get a lock up is when I have a crap load of things happening at once so idk what to say

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Don't Get Me Started with the game locking up, Sometimes I can play for hours on end sometimes I can Play for Minutes on End

Manmangler

put them in a chest that you know will respawn or dead body that will eventually just disappear.
Sometimes weapons from bodies count as separate items. So when body disappear, weapons leave in the ground. Some players take weapon and put it back in body.

In PC UnofficialSkyrimPatch fix that, ut that wont help console sisters and brothers.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Another thing that can help (with you console players) is turning off the "Save on Travel" option. I remember talking to a person at Bethesda long ago when I played it on X-Box and they had me to un-tick that option in the settings. It did help quite a bit. I play on the PC version now, so I'm modded to hell and back, and using the unofficial patches has helped my game quite alot.

Chadonraz

lol, I stored about 3000 weight units of stuff in a dead elk's body, and all useless and/or respawning keys in a dead enemy. :D

It doesn't seem to have been of any help, though. :/

Sometimes weapons from bodies count as separate items. So when body disappear, weapons leave in the ground. Some players take weapon and put it back in body.

In PC UnofficialSkyrimPatch fix that, ut that wont help console sisters and brothers.

Perhaps I should start making sure no weapons or shields are left in the world after their owner dies... some encounter areas are pretty much covered with them. They haven't vanished even though I've done 30 day world resets.
Can't hurt to clean up after fights. :)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Well yeah if weapons are left lying around then that's more memory the xbox has got to deal with. It can only load so much at one time, which is why sometimes it can freeze in the middle of an intense battle with mages who are flashing lots of lightening around, especially if it's snowing as well. Turn off "Autosave","save on travel", and only save manually. Avoid leaving doors open, or taking frivolous items that respawn, the more you take the game away from it's original "Image" the more it has to keep track of. It's a seriously huge game with a lot a stuff going on at once.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts