Do you think you should be able to murder children?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
For me it's across the line , same as eating human flesh . I know , I know , it's just a game , so why would we be discussing this at all ? I feel Bethesda got this right , we are all challenged to chose right or wrong . But Killing the Children no not for me .:eek:<3
You hit the nail on the head. I have RPd characters that would do either (like my current one) and it is absolutely reprehensible and I would, of course, not do it in real life. You can, of course also play it the other way (as my other character is) or in shades of grey in between. It is just a game.

Docta Corvina

I think the children being mortal is an acceptable request and a somewhat different one from seeking the ability to deliberately kill them. On the grounds that it is in fact a game full of pixelated beings, I don't find the latter necessarily offensive, either. I think the case can be made for immersion in such a way. Having the kids be vulnerable to bandit raids, dragon attacks, vampires and other hostile creatures isn't a question of morality, in my view. It's about making the game that much more realistic. It's a bit illogical to have all of these crazy things happening, adults dying in their villages, and meanwhile the kids can run though dragon fire with barely even a reaction. I think them actually being susceptible to injury and even death is a device an RPer could put to good use, in good, or less than benevolent ways.

All of that said, given how comparatively rare child deaths are even in films to this day, I don't see game designers implementing it with any real frequency or on any broad scale. Hell, even GTA doesn't have kids running around in the world at all (NPCs are by and large all killable). I can understand wanting the ability to do what you want in your game, however. I just don't see it gaining too much traction in the future of game development, because child death has nearly always been seen as a sort of line in the sand.

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!
You shouldn’t be able to kill the kids. First of all killing children is wrong but the reasons people are giving don’t cut it.

1. Because they’re annoying brats. C’mon, be honest. That’s not a good enough reason.

2. It makes the game more realistic. “I see murder as murder in technical terms, and if Skyrim were aiming to be more realistic, then kids should be like real life kids and able to die.” If that’s the case then if you murder anyone and get caught you should go to jail or be executed. And not a jail that you can pick your way out of. And if you want it really realistic if you’re executed the game would delete your save file and any back-ups you’ve made. There are a lot of ways the game could be made more realistic without adding killing the kids. Should they also add raping the women? (Not suggesting it. Just making a point.) That being said, I think I’d be okay with Bethesda killing the kids if it were integral to the plot. (You have to avenge their death. They were killed along with the rest of the town. That kind of thing.)

3. “Plus, they may be kids now, but sooner or later they might become mercenaries or soldiers. Killers. Won't think they're so cute then.” The key word here is “might”. You can’t go around killing the kids on the chance that they will turn bad.

On a side note, I also think you should be able to kill quest givers. You mess up and kill someone you shouldn’t? Too bad for you. I also think they should throw in some innocents so that you can’t just walk into a dungeon and start killing everyone you see. “Those weren’t bandits. They were just some traders getting in out of the rain.”

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
You shouldn’t be able to kill the kids. First of all killing children is wrong but the reasons people are giving don’t cut it.

1. Because they’re annoying brats. C’mon, be honest. That’s not a good enough reason.

2. It makes the game more realistic. “I see murder as murder in technical terms, and if Skyrim were aiming to be more realistic, then kids should be like real life kids and able to die.” If that’s the case then if you murder anyone and get caught you should go to jail or be executed. And not a jail that you can pick your way out of. And if you want it really realistic if you’re executed the game would delete your save file and any back-ups you’ve made. There are a lot of ways the game could be made more realistic without adding killing the kids. Should they also add raping the women? (Not suggesting it. Just making a point.) That being said, I think I’d be okay with Bethesda killing the kids if it were integral to the plot. (You have to avenge their death. They were killed along with the rest of the town. That kind of thing.)

3. “Plus, they may be kids now, but sooner or later they might become mercenaries or soldiers. Killers. Won't think they're so cute then.” The key word here is “might”. You can’t go around killing the kids on the chance that they will turn bad.

On a side note, I also think you should be able to kill quest givers. You mess up and kill someone you shouldn’t? Too bad for you. I also think they should throw in some innocents so that you can’t just walk into a dungeon and start killing everyone you see. “Those weren’t bandits. They were just some traders getting in out of the rain.”
I always end up killing the Peddler for some reason and feel guilty (good guy or bad guy - he never did me no bad) so I can really relate to your side note.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
to Atz: (reply button not working)

But yeah eating that human flesh is pretty gross, but also funny to me for some reason, seeing your character hunched over moving their arms like a maniac. When I did that quest, I could not believe (spoilers?) that girl was eating dead people in the Hall of the Dead! I was like, "Oh hell no..." but I was too intrigued by the quest and had to do it. Then I lured that poor priest in there and ate him. For once, I felt purely evil in that game once I did that, but the ring was pretty cool.....

Reactions: Atz

Atz

to Atz: (reply button not working)

But yeah eating that human flesh is pretty gross, but also funny to me for some reason, seeing your character hunched over moving their arms like a maniac. When I did that quest, I could not believe (spoilers?) that girl was eating dead people in the Hall of the Dead! I was like, "Oh hell no..." but I was too intrigued by the quest and had to do it. Then I lured that poor priest in there and ate him. For once, I felt purely evil in that game once I did that, but the ring was pretty cool.....

Yea Gig the first time I found out what that quest was about I must admit I was shocked , and killed them all . I even killed the priest cause i did not yet understand his being a sacrifice , I just was so stunned that the game had that in there ( YUKO ) :vomit:I go the Paladen Type almost always . Nuff said about myself :rolleyes: . The choice's a person has in this game is really amazing . Will I be a baddy or will I be a goodie goodie ....:D

I see it likely sparking some controversy if it was put it by the company. It might make me somewhat cringe doing it the first few times or so, but for gameplay purposes it should be possible.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.

Maybe not to you but it's a good enough reason for me. Hate me if you like but I play nasty people that don't give 2 sweet rolls for anyone but themselves. ANYONE is fair game and I don't need a morally sound excuse to do it. And killing is wrong period. So if it's wrong to kill kids then it should be equally wrong to kill adults. But this game is largely about killing things. Many of them are intelligent. How old they are is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. If it's in the game I should be allowed to kill it if I want to.

More realistic is not the same as lifelike realism. I don't want a life simulator. I want all the creatures and humanoids to be mortal. The justice system in Skyrim is laughable and not in any way realistic. And I'm ok with that. It's just a game.

I can draw a line between fantasy and reality perfectly well and my actions in the game do not reflect my personality in real life. I object to the way in which Bethesda protected kids from being harmed but I completely understand why they did it. And it doesn't stop me from wanting it to be otherwise.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
equal rights for everyone men women mer children beasts so yeah make it makes the game more realistic especialy hearthfire when you now have a legit reason to tell your kids to get inside honestly all my characters are evil 1 is a Lich the other is a Vampire lord not the sort of people that father children.

Sparky04

If you look at it from Bethesda's point of view, then no. I think it'd cause more controversy than anything and could result in people boycotting the game. It's more likely someone will not buy the game because children are killable than someone not buying the game because children aren't killable. That said, I wouldn't kill children even if I could because I'm a big softie in video games who doesn't even like to kill neutral animals.

A little of topic, but I would love to see teenagers, babies and visibly pregnant woman. And not to be weird, but I think it'd be interesting if you had the option to have your own children in game.

Gigapact

If you look at it from Bethesda's point of view, then no. I think it'd cause more controversy than anything and could result in people boycotting the game. It's more likely someone will not buy the game because children are killable than someone not buying the game because children aren't killable. That said, I wouldn't kill children even if I could because I'm a big softie in video games who doesn't even like to kill neutral animals.

A little of topic, but I would love to see teenagers, babies and visibly pregnant woman. And not to be weird, but I think it'd be interesting if you had the option to have your own children in game.

Thanks for sharing, I get your point though. Definitely for Bethesda, that was their best move on the children. Although, well, you already know my opinion.

But anyways, I definitely don't think it's weird because I think it would be really cool if you could actually have your own kids, and end up with some combo from the parents (but then that might limit the sexes in the marriage to strictly husband and wife). Or, if you could pick what they look like, that would be cool, but that definitely strays away from any sort of realism, this would be more like the Sims. Although, I really wish you could pick what your spouse was wearing.... really a miner's outfit? No.

Yes. I'm on xbox and I've tried several times to burn that little brat, Braith.

I killed Carlotta, the widow, and now her daughter constantly says to me, "you're mean! I hate you! I hate you forever and ever and ever and ever!"

Lol :p

Wicka waaah!!

Gigapact

Yes. I'm on xbox and I've tried several times to burn that little brat, Braith.

I killed Carlotta, the widow, and now her daughter constantly says to me, "you're mean! I hate you! I hate you forever and ever and ever and ever!"

Lol :p

Wicka waaah!!

I applaud you. That's a fantastic idea. Maybe I'll go do that now.... be right back :D

Perkless in Skyrim

Sorry my reply button isn't working. But YES I completely agree with you. Ya know what? If you killed a quest giver, then that's YOUR problem, not the games. Especially if you're one of those that just goes around killing average Joes.

It's a little more realistic if you can. Ohhh because I would kill that bitch Maven in a HEARTBEAT. I hate her with every fiber in my little being. I'd burn her to a crisp, then make her my Dead Thrall. Then I would stab her dead thrall. Then revive her once more. Then I would decapitate her. Reviver her again. Then I would stuff her full of arrows. Revive. I would shout her ass to oblivion. Revive. And the cycle would go on and on until I had my fill.
I feel some tension in you.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
If you wanted non-fatal revenge on a child, I read someone who claimed they killed Amren and Saffir, adopted Braith, then told her to do chores every single time they saw her, effectively making her the domestic slave of the person who murdered her parents.

So much yes. :D

Gigapact

Perkless in Skyrim

Sorry my reply button isn't working. But YES I completely agree with you. Ya know what? If you killed a quest giver, then that's YOUR problem, not the games. Especially if you're one of those that just goes around killing average Joes.

It's a little more realistic if you can. Ohhh because I would kill that bitch Maven in a HEARTBEAT. I hate her with every fiber in my little being. I'd burn her to a crisp, then make her my Dead Thrall. Then I would stab her dead thrall. Then revive her once more. Then I would decapitate her. Reviver her again. Then I would stuff her full of arrows. Revive. I would shout her ass to oblivion. Revive. And the cycle would go on and on until I had my fill.
I feel some tension in you.

Yes, I have a ton of tension when it comes to her. She's such a bitch. But one day I will find a way to kill her, and the world will be a better place without her arrogant ass :D

OMG, I killed Nazeem the other day because I thought he was Braith's father (and because he's an arse), so when Braith was unphased by his death, I thought she was just a mega bitch.

Turns out her dad is Armen, the nice one -__-

Damnit.

Lol, true.

I've lost my dog, vigilance though. Left him at my house and now he's vanished. Must be my punishment for killing innocent people, hahaha.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts