PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

Nadaddle

I play on PS3 so I have no choice but to use a controller.

So fair, it's great. I like it when there are sudden dragon attacks and the controller vibrates.

anaxagoras

Unfortunately I do not have a computer good enough to run skyrim at even a minimum setting... And I also unfortunately have a ps3 which isn't horrible but I am forced to face the problem of not being able to obtain the DLCs.

Anyways, IF I did have a pc I would most surely use a mouse and keyboard simply for the fact of hot keys and quick turning with the mouse.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
I've played Skyrim since it's release on a PC until this past December 3rd when my PC mobo burned-up. I went out the next day and bought a new X-Box with all DLC's, HDMI and a Turtle Beach headset. After all that time using a keyboard and mouse, then trying to use an X-Box controller to play with...my word I couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn if I'd have thrown a cow at it. Seriously it was that bad for approx. 4 or 6 days. Took me that long to adjust. Now, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. I can pin-point a head shot with a crossbow or bow at extreme range and make it stick. Of course my age may be a big factor as well (41) in my earlier failures and ineptitude with the X-Box controller. Prior to the X-Box 360 the last console I owned was an Atari Jaguar, so that may tell you my overall experiences with consoles.

XFluffy

I prefer controller, but the DS3 Tool drivers makes everything that is connected wireless to the computer to stop working, so I'm stuck with keyboard and mouse.

By the way, I prefer a controller because I'm left handed, as it forces me to change the Key Bindings which is really annoying.

jcurr25

I played for about 200 hrs on mouse and keyboard after playing all of oblivion on a mouse and keyboard, and the controller makes all the difference. It felt like an entirely new game after I hooked up the controller. The game was pretty obviously made for consoles and then ported to the pc(though one of the better porting jobs I have seen)

Also with the mouse and keyboard setup, since I play on a laptop I had to keep it in my lap. Try bending your knees and playing skyrim at the same time like that! With the controller I can now set the computer off to the side and on top of the cooling pad so there are never any heat problems and game away for hours and hours.

Also, a controller is just about necessary to be a good sneak character. The variability of the movement speed and directional strafing are so important when you are trying not to be detected, especially in the beginning.

Erqiosk

Controller. Though I bought Xbox 360 when Skyrim was released and had to get used to it after playing a lot with mouse and keyboard.

- Feels better with controller, though aiming isn't that easy, but well, gives more realism so to say..? (+vibr<3)

CottonCandyDeath

High Elf--Imperial--SweetRoll Thief
Controller. Im on xbox 360. Even though i am a huge pc gamer i have found that games like skyrim it really helps to be able to sit back and relax on the sofa instead of spending hours in a computer chair with a sore back and your butt going numb. Also its easier to move your character around with the controller, and the buttons are simple and few, so its impossible to forget what does what.

Two Bears

PC player here. I use keyboard and mouse, and do so for every type of game I play except for flight sims and fighting games. Been that way since Arena; it's just what I'm used to.

Sulekha

I prefer using the controller even when playing on PC. I suffer from RSI and using a mouse aggravates it too much. Plus I rarely use most of the shortcut keys on the keyboard. The controller just feels more streamlined.

Sean

lost somewhere
Controller for me.

I have 5 360 controllers (1 came with console, 2 were purchased, other 2 Microsoft sent to me by mistake), and now that I can play games on my PC, I can use the "odd controller out" for it.
Very lucky that I used ClubBing in the past and got one of those LiveChat headsets for the computer because the receiver works for 360 controllers too.

J'Kowa

Controller for me too, my roommate heavily suggested so I went with it. I tried using keyboard/mouse just to see how it felt and I definitely prefer having the controller.

higgi07

uploadfromtaptalk1364236230136.jpg

This is my skyrim controller lol. It still is the only pc game I use it for. I think its cause I can get immersed in the game more if I can sit back and relax while playing it.

I totally prefer a controller. But I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to use a controller to play Skyrim on PC? Is there any PC controllers that closely resemble a PS3 controller? Or is there a way to use an actual PS3 controller using software perhaps?

annelid

Noob
There are drivers out there. I use the 'MotioninJoy' drivers, after a bit of fiddling I seem to now have got them working without an active internet connection (which I usually have but didn't have yesterday on the train which was rather frustrating)

I have seen some people express concerns about them possibly having spyware or somesuch in them, but I haven't found any sign of that.

Basically it allows you to set up your PS3 controller as an emulated XBOX 360 controller, and Skyrim is already set up to accept an XBOX controller.

Works for me anyway.

There are drivers out there. I use the 'MotioninJoy' drivers, after a bit of fiddling I seem to now have got them working without an active internet connection (which I usually have but didn't have yesterday on the train which was rather frustrating)

I have seen some people express concerns about them possibly having spyware or somesuch in them, but I haven't found any sign of that.

Basically it allows you to set up your PS3 controller as an emulated XBOX 360 controller, and Skyrim is already set up to accept an XBOX controller.

Works for me anyway.

Thanks for the great advice :) I'll be sure to try it out first chance I get.

St1ngray

I was quite surprised at how much love there is for a controller set up.
I hadn't gamed on a PC for at least 5 years, PS3 & XBOX all the way. I got Skyrim on the Xbox, and struggled to get into it after about 10 hours worth of game time. The Aiming on the bow annoyed me the most, and I don't usually have a problem with FPS's on a console. But I guess it wasn't just the controller, the fact that it took several minutes to boot up the console and load the game, and then the load times in the game itself really irked me and meant those times where I only had an hour free away from the kids, I just didnt have the will power to load up a game that required many hours invested.

But a few months later after getting a new desktop I revisited Skyrim on Windows, and instantly fell in love. not only did aiming feel right but load times are so quick I don't even get time to read the tips inbetween load screens. When I have less then an hour free, I dont mind quickly loading up a game and doing the odd task.
I kind of wish I had been able to enjoy it with a controller, as your right, sitting on the couch is a nicer experience, there's also something associated with gathering trophies on your xbox live account that gives you that extra motivation. But it just didnt work for me.

Perhaps I will try a controller on the PC version.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
I also prefer the controller because of the rumble pad. Makes it feel like your actually feeling what your character feels

Moirai

I use a controller for Skyrim and pretty much any other PC game that supports one, simply because I find them more comfortable to use over extended gaming sessions.

The only PC games that I use a keyboard and mouse with these days are the the ones that are designed around those interfaces, like Dragon Age: Origins, for example.

Reaper87

吉光
I prefer using a controller.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts