PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I prefer a controller for almost every game - except for the Sims and that kind of stuff. I suck at playing Fifa on my computer but I kick ass on my Xbox 360. Somehow a controller feels better and I'm able to play while sitting on my couch. And a keyboard was not designed to play games in the first place - even though there are special gaming keyboards nowadays. But a controller is, so in my opinion controllers are more fitting for games.

But of course most pc versions of games are cheaper and have better graphics. But a console is able to handle lots of games for many years while a computer has to be replaced afer a while.

So yes, computer games are cheaper. But a gaming pc is expensive and at some point games decide not too work on your computer because it is aged and not longer awesome enough...

I prefer a controller for almost every game - except for the Sims and that kind of stuff. I suck at playing Fifa on my computer but I kick ass on my Xbox 360. Somehow a controller feels better and I'm able to play while sitting on my couch. And a keyboard was not designed to play games in the first place - even though there are special gaming keyboards nowadays. But a controller is, so in my opinion controllers are more fitting for games.

But of course most pc versions of games are cheaper and have better graphics. But a console is able to handle lots of games for many years while a computer has to be replaced afer a while.

So yes, computer games are cheaper. But a gaming pc is expensive and at some point games decide not too work on your computer because it is aged and not longer awesome enough...
But in the same light, you can keep updating that high end computer every few years with a new graphics card, more ram,etc. You'll need to buy a new console if you want to keep playing the newest games on a console device.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
But in the same light, you can keep updating that high end computer every few years with a new graphics card, more ram,etc. You'll need to buy a new console if you want to keep playing the newest games on a console device.

true but I have a xbox 360 (released in 2005) and the next gen xbox won't be released until 2014. That's almost 10 years. And I don't think any computer can last 10 years. ( I know that is not correct English but I'm from the Netherlands ;) )

KattSand

Premium Member
I prefer a controller, I plugged in the wired version of the 360 controller into my PC and I was good to go. I still use the keyboard for console commands (obviously) and for quicksaving but I use the controller for gameplay, just to be able to use my half laying down gaming position, can't do that with a mouse and keyboard.

RenegadePony

I have Skyrim on my Xbox 360 and my PC though I do prefer playing with a controller. It's just simpler and easier to use for gaming.

Chodee

I much prefer Skyrim and all GTA games on console, but aside from them, I love PC gaming.
Just feels a lot more comfortable, just.... right. haha

Sarah_90

Yeah the game seems to be made for a controller. I began with a computer but then switched to PS3 for Skyrim because fighting and everything else is much easier and more fun!

Saint Vicious

Still sober
Is there anything you can download to make a PS3 controller work on a PC? I do good work with my controller, but would love console commands, and dlc.

Sarah_90

I think you can update your game with PS3 through internet but I am not positive. But with downloading the controller for PC I highly doubt it...though you could call a gaming store to see.

Moris

Is there anything you can download to make a PS3 controller work on a PC? I do good work with my controller, but would love console commands, and dlc.

I could not get a PS3 controller to work with my PC, though if you search the web, it seems that others have managed. Instead, I just went to a gaming store and bought an Xbox controller that works with the PC (These are not the same as just regular Xbox controllers). This works perfectly and the only change I had to make in game was to change the controller settings. So, I use this controller when playing, but if I want to enter console commands, I just hit the tilde on the keyboard, and enter commands as normal.

ETA: Switching from a PS3 controller to an Xbox one was not difficult. The buttons have different names, but they are in basically the same place. The controller is bigger and heavier, but this hasn't bothered me really, and after a while I grew to prefer it, and I have fairly small hands.

13th Nightingale

Hawk- Guild Master, Ebonhawks
I love gamepads and all I have to say is that picking locks would be way harder if I couldn't slowly turn the mechanism with the joy stick and feel if its going to break. I mean how the heck would you do that with a keyboard?

Not to mention super slow sneaking is required for low levels. Would you lightly tap forward?

I asked two questions. Why disagree with my questions?

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Strangely enough, I prefer keyboard and mouse with Skyrim. Other games like Assassin's Creed I need a controller with, but using it with Skyrim puts me off. Weird.

There's MotionJoy, but it's stupidly difficult to try setting up a PS3 controller. I recommend just buying a wired 360 controller. Instead of having to wrestle with getting the software working, calibrating it, and getting games to work with it, the 360 controller just plugs in, automatically installs some drivers real quick, and is good to go. All games I've tried with it also recognize it immediately. No such luck with the PS3 controller.

My recommendation is that you just give the mouse+keyboard set up a try (unless you think you'll need a controller for other games). You may find that you like it better, and if you don't, switching to a 360 controller is no big issue.

Instead, I just went to a gaming store and bought an Xbox controller that works with the PC (These are not the same as just regular Xbox controllers).

You more than likely got a gamepad, not a 360 controller. A wired 360 controller, exactly that, also works with PC.

Adam Belmont

Keyboard and mouse. I feel much more accurate with the mouse than with the controller, especially because I play two ranged characters in any kind of RPG: Mages and archers.

I haven't played to many games on a PC before, thus I prefer playing it with a controller on my Xbox 360. Maybe I just find it simpler and easier to use analog sticks instead of four different arrows or WASD on a keyboard.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts