PC Do you prefer a controller?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer a controller to play Skyrim?

• Total voters

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Ah, reading this brings me back. I used to be a console player you see. I'd play any 1st or third person game on PC and be so uncomfortable that I lost at Star Wars battlefield (with my friend playing with me). Now I ONLY play on PC (aside from New Vegas, i'll always play that on console).

Exelex

The few times I've played PC, I preferred a controller of the keyboard by far. I can't navigate at all with the keyboard.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
The few times I've played PC, I preferred a controller of the keyboard by far. I can't navigate at all with the keyboard.
That's exactly how I was. But now I'm better with keyboard, strangely enough.

Pothus

Good question, I like the mouse. Yet, the computer keyboard gets confusing to me at times.

I prefer the PS3 controller. At times it does seems rather laggy, or slow.

I prefer consoles :p PC gaming is pretty rad, but for huge games like this when I am gonna be playing for hours on end I want to sit back on my nice comfy couch or maybe even lay down with controller in hand as I play this marvelous game on my 48" HDTV

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
You can't even argue that a game like Skyrim is 100 times better on the PC than on consoles. With all the mods, better graphics, better customization, it is no contest. For FPS games (like Skyrim) its much more efficient and fast to use the KB+M but to each their own, I try to get all my games on the PC but most PC games coming out lately are really bad ports of console games. The only reason why I would pick controller over mouse for Skyrim is maybe for the menu, but then again I fixed that with a mod. =)

DeathWishFK

We'll all float on
Since I first played Skyrim with a mouse/keyboard and I was completely immersed in the game, I was really skeptical about playing a controller. It does have it's up and downs as mentioned in some of the posts above, but once I got used to it I prefer it over my mouse/keyboard. Sometimes though I'm just to lazy to connect my controller so I just play with the keyboard ahaha.

Bloodscythe

Controller for me. I suck at playing things on PC compared to a controller. For me a controller feels great, smooth and natural where as on the PC it's not the same. When I'm playing other RPGs on the PC (Ocarina of Time for example, which I can only play on the PC) I don't have nearly as much movement control and I become a major lameass in combat. I fall off things easier, miss things easier etc. A controller is just so much better for me. However I guess people who spend a lot of time on computers would naturally find the PC to be way easier to play on.

The Rook

Make a fine rug? I don't crochet.
Being from the eighties and that era of gaming (and not playing them again till 2004, or later...) I prefer the keyboard and a Logitech wireless ballmouse. It's the closest to them old fashioned controls I can get. Also I get my left and right toggles all confused during play with a controller. And they seem slow.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I definitely enjoy the experience of playing a game on console, to be honest. Playing on PC just isn't that fun. That being said, I find the mouse and keyboard to just be more.... usable. I started out with console, and then jumped to PC after I got a decent computer, but until then all of my gaming (aside from Terraria) was done on PS3.

I still play a few games on my aging PS3. Fallout New Vegas and Littlebigplanet 2 are a few. I might get New Vegas for PC eventually, but even then I'll still play on PS3.

iZsoul

No way , I cant stand any sort of console so you know what i mean.

Zappus

I had an old xbox controller lying around and thought id give it a try. To be honest the experience was amazing! Melee aiming was easy to start with but now i am playing an archer and its is ridiculously easy! Switching back to mouse is awkward!

Definatly a controller game!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Torok

It's impossible for me to play without a controller.

Octavia

~ Ryla <3
Even though I've been console gaming with a controller for 10 or so years now, I personally find the keyboard and mouse to be much more usable, not sure why but I perfer them over a controller.

Courtland Jacob

I used to play battlefield with a mouse and keyboard and always prefered it to a controller. But then most pc games got too advanced for basic computers and I never felt like putting down the cash for a good system. I recieved a PS3 and Skyrim for christrmas last year and got addicted to gamse all over again after a 6 year hiatus. I am used to a controller now, especially when you have two functioning hands in a game like skyrim, I find it much easier. I may get better at using both mouse buttons for gameplay, but i find it easier with a shooter than with a game like skyrim. I have however recently purchased a computer because I want the new dlc's for skyrim, and I figured I might as well go all out and do some mods as well, so I went with a pc over xbox. I would love to know if there is a way to use a keyboard for quick keys along with a controller for gameplay. My computer will be set up on my tv like a console and I don't really have a good way to use a mouse and keyboard to play, no surface to run a mouse

I'm primary a console gamer so I have my bias but I have played on PC (used my ex's PC for FFXI when my old PS2 kicked the can) and I must say.. I don't know if I was just use to it and didn't want to have to "relearn how to play" on a different set up but it's always been easier for me to have a controller in my hands and a keyboard in my lap/on my desk when needed.

J'ottfried

Hey I actually just joined to discuss this question. I read this forum and then decided to test each since I just finally got Skyrim for my pc. I think a couple things mentioned before on separate occasions is what it comes down to for me. I am playing a Khajiit and am really enjoying sneaking and using a bow. The 360 controller is really comfortable and is great for movement (esp sneaking) since it responds dynamically to slight adjustments in pressure. However, it is near impossible to aim a bow effectively. The mouse is amazing for using the bow but the keyboard sucks for sneaking (only two levels of movement - too fast and too slow). The keyboard is also much more convenient for other things though, like quicksaving and hotkeys. If I start playing a character that doesn't rely on a bow I'd probably opt for the controller.

At this point I have given up the controller for the m+k because of the bow and took the sacrifice to sneaking. I am able to sit back on the recliner with the logitech k400 wireless keyboard and a razer gaming mouse on a thin, wide book with a mousepad on it and the pc hooked to the hdtv. Works great! still debating giving the controller another shot because of its particular advantages/comforts. Well at least on the pc you can switch back and forth :)

Zanarkand

Premium Member
I am playing a Khajiit and am really enjoying sneaking and using a bow. The 360 controller is really comfortable and is great for movement (esp sneaking) since it responds dynamically to slight adjustments in pressure. However, it is near impossible to aim a bow effectively.

True, it's harder to aim accurately with the controller than with the mouse, but oddly I find it more fun to aim using the controller. :) Overall I'm in favor of the controller because it's easier to use (imho) and I find it less fatiguing in the long run.