• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I am a huge software pirate, have been since the before the internet when us nerds shared everything via floppy. That said, I always kept this notion in mind: If a game I pirate rocks, I look into it's its development, it's creators views and history, etc...
When I discover that I have respect for the game and the people behind it's creation, I have usually purchased a legit copy eventually.
Yes, I have pirated Skyrim. Although I do have huge respect for Skyrim and Bethesda in general, This is one game that I will probably never purchase. The reason: Steam
Even the retail version of Skyrim requires registration and logging into Steam every time you play. I dont believe someone should require internet access to play a single player game. What if I don't have internet access at home? What if my budget doesn't allow me such luxuries? And what if I have to reinstall my OS during times of lack of internet? Plus, I do not have any use for Steam. It's only purpose is to detect legit gameplay, track your activity, and to use that info in an attempt to SELL you more games, which I have no interest in.
A gamer doesn't game to make companies money. A gamer games to game, and will allow nothing to get in the way of his/her fix. And despite Valve's efforts with their DRM policy, even their games are still pirated. Hell, There are even hacks for Steam itself to make it easy to download all their games for free. But I will personally rely on Steam for nothing. I've been a hardcore gamer since I was 4, and a Software Pirate since the age of 12. I'm now 33, It's in my blood. There's no turning back. Besides, in my 20+ years of Pirating software, I've NEVER felt any guilt for it. True, buying eventually is no excuse for the initial piracy, but I don't need to make excuses, I may or may not purchase a game, regardless of my feelings towards it. Rationalizing what I do isn't necessary, I just don't give a pl***. I will game on, regardless.

You're still a thief.

Jersey Dagmar

As I've said, I don't give a pl***. 99% of what I do online is illegal. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed access to the internet at all? Tough. I'm doing it anyway. Try and stop me.

How would you feel if someone broke into your residence and stole something from you?

Arthur Swift-Sword

Swift. Like a Sword.
As I've said, I don't give a pl***. 99% of what I do online is illegal. Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed access to the internet at all? Tough. I'm doing it anyway. Try and stop me.

Well honestly after that confession you shouldnt. If you rob a store for example, chances are, your never going to be allowed there again*

*depends on the store

glades20

How would you feel if someone broke into your residence and stole something from you?
This isn't about individual people with average incomes, nor is it about physical property. This is about lines of code compiled into a computer readable data format created by teams of people who already got paid for their work, working for a corporation who received millions in revenue of sales before the hackers were even able to crack the code and distribute freely. They already got plenty out of it. Besides, for every pirate, there are 10 of his friends that he had shown it to that told him, "Nah, I'm just gonna buy it." Nuff Said.

Jersey Dagmar

This isn't about individual people with average incomes, nor is it about physical property. This is about lines of code compiled into a computer readable data format created by teams of people who already got paid for their work, working for a corporation who received millions in revenue of sales before the hackers were even able to crack the code and distribute freely. They already got plenty out of it. Besides, for every pirate, there are 10 of his friends that he shown it to that told him, "Nah, I'm just gonna buy it." Nuff Said.

But, you are still taking something that is not yours. Be it code or not. It's still against the law. It is still theft. I honestly don't care how you try to justify it. You are breaking the law. It doesn't matter how much the company is already making or if the employees already got their paychecks. You are still a thief.

glades20

But, you are still taking something that is not yours. Be it code or not. It's still against the law. It is still theft. I honestly don't care how you try to justify it. You are breaking the law. It doesn't matter how much the company is already making or if the employees already got their paychecks. You are still a thief.
I've never said I was one to obey the law, nor care if it were broken.

Tyrone

I cant stand pirates, bethesda worked hard on skyrim to get money, and they deserve every penny

glades20

Then why try to justify what you are doing? It seems you signed up on these forums just to post how you downloaded the game illegally.
The head of this topic is, "did you pirate Skyrim?" this is all this discussion was about. And I've already said that I don't need to Justify anything. I'm not making excuses. this entire thread is about piracy.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
The head of this topic is, "did you pirate Skyrim?" this is all this discussion was about. And I've already said that I don't need to Justify anything. I'm not making excuses. this entire thread is about piracy.

We started this thread to track your IP address / proxy so we can turn you over to the FTC... you'll be rooming with this guy in the pen
185616d7ec7823a7097f61e68d271fec.png

night night.....better keep yo butthole tight!

glades20

I cant stand pirates, bethesda worked hard on skyrim to get money, and they deserve every penny
I guess you really hate a guy like me then. 21 years of deliberate piracy under my belt. Estimation: $70,000 worth in software. Does it also tick you off to know that I live off of your tax payer dollars? good looking out on all the weed you and your parents funded me over the years. lol

Tyrone

I guess you really hate a guy like me then. 21 years of deliberate piracy under my belt. Estimation: $70,000 worth in software. Does it also tick you off to know that I live off of your tax payer dollars? good looking out on all the weed you and your parents funded me over the years. lol

Nope, makes me think you're just an idiot lol

glades20

We started this thread to track your IP address / proxy so we can turn you over to the FTC... you'll be rooming with this guy in the pen
185616d7ec7823a7097f61e68d271fec.png

night night.....better keep yo butthole tight!

First off, I've been to prison thrice, and the only thing ive suffered was boredom in there. Second, all tracking is blocked on my pc. I've got that covered. And the thought of this thread being posted for that reason has crossed my mind. Rarely is anything done about piracy. Worst case scenario: I'll just be banned from these forums. But for a topic like this, That would be stupid. whoever started the thred must've been aware of the people who would post on here, and the people posting must've known that real pirates would be here too.

glades20

Why is everyone so ticked off? If you guys didn't want to dicuss piracy and the reasons behind it, why participate in this thread?

Pingu

a.k.a Charlie Goodvibes
*Made an identical copy and did not leave you a dollar and/or a ''thank you'' note. Pirating and stealing are different in their respective natures.

I bought the PS3 version, but I can only make 3 characters before it inexplicably starts deleting my files. Since none of my other PS3 games have done this, and other people are apparently experiencing the same thing, it is safe to say that the Skyrim itself is to blame. Aside from that it took them months to fix the lag that made it impossible to play past 7MB save file size, which obviously would have been picked up on if it was properly tested. Thus, the provided product and service were not worth the money that was spent, making me a very unhappy customer. If there was an actual, physical Bethesda service desk I'd get in the (no doubt) mile long line and tell the clerk all this, but seeing as there is no such thing, and they can basicly go ''You bought it as you saw it, so you can go jumprope in quicksand for all we care.'' I took it upon myself to pirate (not steal) the PC version. Keep in mind that none of this is meant as an excuse and I take full responsibility for my pirating ways. It was just these things that drove me to, eventually, pirate the game so I can play as I thought I could when I purchased it for my PS3 system. You'll be happy to hear that I have been enjoying the game more thoroughly ever since, unless you're a junior member of the Justice League and think me a thief. Either way, you're an ok guy/gal, reader.

Jersey Dagmar

There is no difference. You are taking something that isn't yours illegally. You are breaking the law, you are stealing. I don't care if the PS3 version sucked for you. It doesn't make it okay to obtain the PC version through illegal methods.