• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

did you pirate skyrim?

• Total voters

Halkin

pzzzztt
actually now you mention interwebs, i remember 10 years ago playing mechwarrior 2 online thinking it was awesome. via dial up. it can only get better it seems

actually now you mention interwebs, i remember 10 years ago playing mechwarrior 2 online thinking it was awesome. via dial up. it can only get better it seems

better than mechwarrior 2 online AND dial-up?

what could be better than that?

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
LOL, I know people who still use dial-up. I don't miss that annoying sound at all.

I pirated mine, and it is not because money was an issue. I already have a copy I bought new for the PS3.

I spend money wisely, and I reasonably ask myself if 60 bucks is worth going towards a game that has no productive nor memorable contribution to my life. I just got back from Italy, and I think to myself...see 60 bucks in Italy you will be able to see the Coliseum, St. Peter's Basilica, the Spanish Steps, take a train from Rome to Florence, have coffee sitting by a fountain under the Leaning Tower of Pisa, have dinner, and pay for a taxi back home. All of that within one day in Italy for under 60 dollars...not too shabby. OR that 60 dollars could go towards paying for a room at a nice inn for one night in Venice...or ...you can buy dinner for a homeless person instead of giving it to a corporation.

Either way, there will ALWAYS be a good population who LOVES LOVES a game enough to pay 60 dollars for it, that's fine. Heck I stood in line waiting for Uncharted 3 to be released because i LOVE LOVE that game, but only so because I have traveled to many of those places already and I enjoy the memories it brings me. Whatever people's reasoning is for pirating, it comes down to whether or not a game is (to them) valued at 60 dollars. If the marginal benefits outweigh the marginal costs...then yes go for it!!

Same here, I was like, "I already own it, so Bethesda, you already got my money you MILKDRINKERS, so I will get myself another copy, sorry, you already got 60 bucks, no more for you." I know they work hard for it, but they get so much from it that 60 bucks will not get them that much, so I saved 60 bucks and got it easy way for PC, bought it legit on PS3.

Balerion Blackdread

Eater of Worlds and Pie
Same here, I was like, "I already own it, so Bethesda, you already got my money you MILKDRINKERS, so I will get myself another copy, sorry, you already got 60 bucks, no more for you."....
You should also try skipping out on the check at your favorite restaurant when you order the same meal. You already paid for the same meal before. After you buy a new car from the car dealership go back there again in a few months to take the exact same model out for a test drive and then take off with it since you paid for the exact same make and model from the same dealership. If the local constables arrest you I'm sure the "I already bought the exact same thing before" defense will get you acquitted of all charges and the magistrate and jury won't look at you like you're completely batsh!t insane.

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
While I Hate the fact, yes i pirated the game, but i want to get a legal copy as soon as i can to support Beth, I didn't pirate it for money, i pirated it because the game is not sold here, actually all sold games where i live are pirated, Expect for PS3 games, which are commonly sold for 90$ or more.
And if you ask, i live in Libya. Yes i know there was a Civil War down there, yes i experienced it myself, and i will buy it legally whenever i got the chance, because i love Skyrim and i want support Bethesda to make more games like this and even better.

"Pirating" is a word created by the big media to criminalize people who just download free stuff they find online.

The word "piracy" normally means violent theft and selling of the loot for profit.

Perhaps people who run file sharing sites with payed-for access, or people who actually sell copied media are pirates. People who just download for themselves are not.

I'm gonna have to take this up:

DUH, it is totally different. Software is not hardware.

The rich only feel good about their riches when they can see the have-nots "suffer without". That's the crux of the matter when it comes to people hating on "pirates".

If everybody had an iPhone 4, it wouldn’t feel like such a privilege to have one. The tight-arsed, ungrateful and ungenerous person who just payed money for an expensive item doesn't feel good if others can get the same for nothing. It makes it less gratifying to have money when others can get by without. The rich pay for privilege, because they like to feel they are better than those who just have to "suffer without". This is why , in the UK, it is actually illegal and arrestable to scavenge from skips even if they are left open in public places.

It is attitudes like these that just encourage us to pirate more.

Unauthorized downloads does not equal lost sales for the companies, and the only reason to hate on peole who dowload is the selfish sense of privilege.

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO HEAR! THIS IS THE TRUTH! EAT IT MOTHER******! (sorry for excitement...)

You should also try skipping out on the check at your favorite restaurant when you order the same meal. You already paid for the same meal before. After you buy a new car from the car dealership go back there again in a few months to take the exact same model out for a test drive and then take off with it since you paid for the exact same make and model from the same dealership. If the local constables arrest you I'm sure the "I already bought the exact same thing before" defense will get you acquitted of all charges and the magistrate and jury won't look at you like you're completely batsh!t insane.

1. I am not dumb enough to try and use that for vehicles.
2. This is SOFTWARE, not HARDWARE like a vehicle, food, etc.
3. Stop assuming things jackass.

then software/hardware thing is irrelevant guys, that just changes the way pirating impacts on the industry (and I'm pretty sure the reason they call it pirating isn't to criminalize, it's more of a reference to the fact that the internet is for the most part separate to any country and as such is hard to govern by any sort of land law, pirates, both on boats or not, use this disconnection to take/do what they want without facing the consequences, plus it saves someone the trouble of inventing a new word)

yes it takes from a companies profit, not in the same way stealing hard ware does, but it still does. A lot of companies use the producer funding to make the game, they than need to pay off the producer +percentage, as well as for everything else, a lot of the time they need to give themselves back-pay, the only profit they make is whatever is left-over at the end (with hardware they also need to factor in the cost of materials, this isn't included in software but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of work went into making it and those people need to be paid), if you pirate the game than it means you are playing it without paying for it, this may/may not have an impact.

if you wouldn't buy the game regardless of anything, than pirating it causes more good than harm because it isn't cutting into the profit, and boosts the player base. If there was any chance of buying it at all, and I mean ever, even if it meant waiting for the price to drop or saving some money (I'm not just talking about the very moment it releases) than you are depriving them of one sale, and this isn't like selling hardware, they can't just keep making it over and over again and continuously charge, they sell it, and then they don't sell it to that person again (because they aren't selling materials, they are selling a license), so each sale counts a lot more than it would otherwise because there is only a certain amount of sales they can make.

so to those who genuinely had a reason to pirate it (whether it be you're so poor and jobless that you are a mummified dog f*****, or because you already owned it) I say go ahead, you ain't really hurting none. But those of you who continuously say and think piracy has no negative effects on the people involved and use that to try and justify your blatant theft (just because you didn't want to pay for it is NOT a good enough reason) I say F*** you you selfish ignorant S.O.B. when I release a game that my livelihood depends on, I expect you to pull out you're dosh and pay for that M**** F*****.

Balerion Blackdread

Eater of Worlds and Pie
1. I am not dumb enough to try and use that for vehicles.
And yet you're obviously too mentally challenged to understand the use of sarcasm to show the general stupidity of your moronic attempt to justify pirating software. It doesn't matter if its software or hardware. It doesn't belong to you and all the pathetic excuses and morally retarded arguments in the world wont change that fact.

I admire people like Jersey who have the honesty to acknowledge that they pirate and there is no actual moral justification for it unlike people like you who spew out the arguments of an ethically inbred imbecile. It's not that big a deal if you pirated it but deluding yourself into thinking there is any rational justification for doing it other than self interest is truly idiotic.

I didn't assume anything. Sorry if pointing out the obvious made you all butt hurt.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
And yet you're obviously too mentally challenged to understand the use of sarcasm to show the general stupidity of your moronic attempt to justify pirating software. It doesn't matter if its software or hardware. It doesn't belong to you and all the pathetic excuses and morally retarded arguments in the world wont change that fact.

I admire people like Jersey who have the honesty to acknowledge that they pirate and there is no actual moral justification for it unlike people like you who spew out the arguments of an ethically inbred imbecile. It's not that big a deal if you pirated it but deluding yourself into thinking there is any rational justification for doing it other than self interest is truly idiotic.

I didn't assume anything. Sorry if pointing out the obvious made you all butt hurt.

A thousand times, THIS^

Seriously, how many times do we have to go over this debate?

A thousand times, THIS^

Seriously, how many times do we have to go over this debate?

I think the question is how many times have we ALREADY gone over this entire topic.

piracy is theft, I think we should leave it at that.

Skyrim is like an endless RPG to me. For the length of time consumed in this game to complete most quests and still there is more.....is very worth it for me.

In fact, I tend to tell my friends Skyrim was underpriced at 60 bucks for a game that can consume hundreds of hours.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
spent $60 for the game, and $340 for the ps3 console. By my estimate, about $1.50 an hour for the whole kit and kaboodle.

Totally worth it; especially since I don't have to deal with lags and glitches anymore.

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
Piracy is wrong. The end. I bough Skyrim to my 360 and then I downloaded it (Illegally) for the PC. And after about 2 days after I downloaded it I bought it on steam. Just because its against my morals to steal things that companies works ages and ages to make. And it is Stealing no doubt about it but sometimes it gets way to serious. Today you can kill like 5 people and still get a lower punishment than if you download some files.

What I think would be a fitting punishment would be that the person that downloaded would need to pay ALL the original cost of the things he downloaded not freaking jail. Thats just absurd.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
It seems that most everyone who is anti-piracy is also so pro-game developers, that they never seems to realize that the ways various game companies try to protect themselves against piracy also trump the legitimate user's right to keep a backup copy of games they have paid for. In the US, it is not against the law to make a copy of your software. You just can't pass it around to other people. http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

I guess I'm just sick of everybody going "boo-hoo, poor game companies," when they do things like invade our privacy or limit the number of times we can install games we've paid for, or require us to install garbage on our systems to run their games. People shouldn't pirate and game companies shouldn't burn their legitimate users so badly that they turn them into pirates.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts