Can't Decide between Stormcloaks or Imperials...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

So what do you think?

• Stormcloaks

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Imperials

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters

Docta Corvina

Actually, what Ulfric seems to really regret isn't so much that he fought, but rather the timing of the warfare and the fact that it tragically wound up feeding the even greater enemy: Alduin.

Skyrim was betrayed, the blood of her sons spilled in doomed struggle against fate. And so in death, too late, I learn the truth - fed by war, so waxed the power of Alduin, World-Eater - wisdom now useless. By gods' jest in this grim mist together snared, Stormcloak and Imperial, we wander hopeless, waiting for succor.

He laments the chaos and destruction wrought upon all of his countrymen, Stormcloak and Imperial alike. He maintains that Skyrim "was betrayed". That doesn't quite suggest to me regret for his position to combat the Empire. But he does regret and lament the aftermath - as most anyone with a soul (ironic here, yes) would. He regrets that he failed to realize until it was "too late", and both courage and wisdom have been rendered "useless".

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
NO! Not this again!

*Jumps out window.*

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Are you aware that more american men and women died fighting the taliban and waging war on terror than in WTC?
So that means that US should just say ok, 3000 people died but if we do anything more americans will die, so we wont be doing anything.
This isn't analagous to the situation of the Empire after the Battle of the Red Ring and only further illustrates your ignorance about the lore of Tamriel. After the Battle of the Red Ring the Imperial Legion had less than half of the soldiers since the beginning of the war fit for duty. Their numbers were so low that they couldn't even adequately defend the Empire from corsairs, bandits and other small armed forces let alone launch an invasion against the Aldmeri Dominion which would have been the only other way to end the war.

To be in an analogous situation the United States would have to suffer over 1.1 million in casualties among its military forces and millions more in civilian casualties, all during an invasion of the nation that blew up entire power grids all over the country, inflicted billions upon billions of dollars in infrastructure damage and rendered its entire nuclear arsenal useless. The invading nation would have to be the People's Republic of China, and the United States would have to lack any intelligence information on the size, strength and movements of the military within the PRC to have a roughly analogous situation to the Empire after the Battle of the Red Ring. One would have to arguably be the most delusionally stupid person on the face of the planet to believe that the United States would attempt to launch a counterattack on the PRC in such a situation.

Dagmar

Just to cap this off. I found this nice little bit of info...

(Pulled from The Elder Scrolls Wikia) and a youtube vid.

"Ulfric can be killed during the Civil War if the Dragonborn chooses to side with the Empire. After the Battle for Windhelm, the Dragonborn storms his throne room, and he requests that the Dragonborn will kill him, as "it will make for a better song". Upon death, he can be encountered in Sovngarde as a specter, interestingly regretting his belligerent actions against the Empire due to how it only weakend Skyrim and strengthened the Thalmor."
Youtube and the Elder Scrolls Wikia are not reliable lore resources. Actual observable game content and dialogues, lore documents and publications officially acknowledged by Bethesda are the only valid primary resources for the lore. Reliable secondary resources are The Imperial Library and the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages in that order. All assertions about lore in secondary sources should be questioned when they don't cite to a primary source.

The Wikia is not reliable as a secondary source. Depend on it at your own peril because it's has lots of incorrect information regarding the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe. What you cited is a perfect example as I have first-hand knowledge from speaking to Ulfric in Sovngarde that he never says anything from which you can even remotely infer what that quote claims. I can also clone the Sovngarde version of Ulfric at anytime and anywhere in the game to listen to his dialogues from Sovngarde, and I can look at them in the Creation Kit with the same result. Ulfric expresses remorse because the souls of every fallen soldier on either side provided Alduin with more souls to feed upon and grow stronger and his part in the civil war was integral to that steady supply of souls. That's what he regrets. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Thalmor.

Mookie

This isn't analagous to the situation of the Empire after the Battle of the Red Ring and only further illustrates your ignorance about the lore of Tamriel. After the Battle of the Red Ring the Imperial Legion had less than half of the soldiers since the beginning of the war fit for duty. Their numbers were so low that they couldn't even adequately defend the Empire from corsairs, bandits and other small armed forces let alone launch an invasion against the Aldmeri Dominion which would have been the only other way to end the war.

To be in an analogous situation the United States would have to suffer over 1.1 million in casualties among its military forces and millions more in civilian casualties, all during an invasion of the nation that blew up entire power grids all over the country, inflicted billions upon billions of dollars in infrastructure damage and rendered its entire nuclear arsenal useless. The invading nation would have to be the People's Republic of China, and the United States would have to lack any intelligence information on the size, strength and movements of the military within the PRC to have a roughly analogous situation to the Empire after the Battle of the Red Ring. One would have to arguably be the most delusionally stupid person on the face of the planet to believe that the United States would attempt to launch a counterattack on the PRC in such a situation.

I wasnt talking about US and Empire launching an attack on thalmor.
You clearly missed the context. Please re-read.

Dagmar

I wasnt talking about US and Empire launching an attack on thalmor.
You clearly missed the context. Please re-read.
I don't need to reread as I missed no context. Your statements clearly try to make an analogy between the losses suffered from the 9/11 attacks and the losses suffered by the Empire (which is extremely tasteless and inappropriate) to imply that since the United States responded by waging war against the Taliban, the Empire should have continued its war against the Thalmor. If you meant something different it doesn't mean I missed the context in what you were stating, it simply means that you did a poor job of trying to express your point.

Mookie

I don't need to reread as I missed no context. Your statements clearly try to make an analogy between the losses suffered from the 9/11 attacks and the losses suffered by the Empire (which is extremely tasteless and inappropriate) to imply that since the United States responded by waging war against the Taliban, the Empire should have continued its war against the Thalmor. If you meant something different it doesn't mean I missed the context in what you were stating, it simply means that you did a poor job of trying to express your point.

It isnt about empire and thalmor or great war at all. Thats why I say re-read.

Dagmar

It isnt about empire and thalmor or great war at all. Thats why I say re-read.
I don't need to reread. You need to rewrite. It's quoted in whole and there is no other context to draw from it.

Mookie

See what I responded to.
He said:
More people die in war than those taken by thalmor.

Dagmar

See what I responded to.
He said:
More people die in war than those taken by thalmor.
That only makes your response even more incoherent as well as unresponsive and unintelligible. The Thalmor are killing some Nords and Ulfric is killing a lot of Nords en masse. The Taliban killed U.S. citizens and others in the 9/11 attacks. The U.S. responded by atacking the Taliban in Afghanistan. The only U.S. response which would be analogous to what Ulfric is doing is to attack and kill its own citizens which is absurd. It's literally impossible to make any kind of analogy between those events in the real world and the civil war in Tamriel which is why, now, your statement not only appears to be tasteless and ignorant, but extremely unintelligent as well.

Lunaruse

The Milkdrinking Elf
Damn you have been using my sleep well :D
hahaha
In previous posts on other thread Mage said that Skyrim cant defend themselves. Now he is saying that it doesnt have because thalmor cant reach it o_O?
I am glad the starter of thread made up his/her choice.
Being an imperial servant while being bestowed by gift of dragon blood from Akatosh is the greatest archievement you could archieve.

Yep, I guess your right. I should just be a servant to a xenophobic jarl who has been manipulated by the Thalmor, especially since my character hates them so much.

Obviously I'm not going to be playing the game just for the Civil War Quest, its just a part of my characters life, just like becoming Archmage of the College, defeating Alduin, going exploring/adventuring, settling down and raising some orphans, maybe doing the dragonborn questline as well, oh and some vampire hunting.

And ya, I think Aur-Eil would be proud of me, I'm so much more than just a future Imperial Legate, but as such I can help restore his Chosen One's (Tiber) Empire and get rid of those elf's who give my people a bad name.

Mookie

That only makes your response even more incoherent as well as unresponsive and unintelligible. The Thalmor are killing some Nords and Ulfric is killing a lot of Nords en masse. The Taliban killed U.S. citizens and others in the 9/11 attacks. The U.S. responded by atacking the Taliban in Afghanistan. The only U.S. response which would be analogous to what Ulfric is doing is to attack and kill its own citizens which is absurd. It's literally impossible to make any kind of analogy between those events in the real world and the civil war in Tamriel which is why, now, your statement not only appears to be tasteless and ignorant, but extremely unintelligent as well.

Thank you :)
Personal attack and double standard at its best ;)

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
You're grasp of the English language is both frightening and amusing.

This thread died, came back, and got hit by a car driven by Peter Griffin...

Mookie

Yep, I guess your right. I should just be a servant to a xenophobic jarl who has been manipulated by the Thalmor, especially since my character hates them so much.

Obviously I'm not going to be playing the game just for the Civil War Quest, its just a part of my characters life, just like becoming Archmage of the College, defeating Alduin, going exploring/adventuring, settling down and raising some orphans, maybe doing the dragonborn questline as well, oh and some vampire hunting.

And ya, I think Aur-Eil would be proud of me, I'm so much more than just a future Imperial Legate, but as such I can help restore his Chosen One's (Tiber) Empire and get rid of those elf's who give my people a bad name.

To be honest, no one really cares who people join. Its a single player game :)
Try and do anything you want, its your game and your call.

Lunaruse

The Milkdrinking Elf
To be honest, no one really cares who people join. Its a single player game :)
Try and do anything you want, its your game and your call.
You cared enough to comment about my choices. And I cared enough to respond.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts