• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I'm considering using bound weapons (specifically a sword, and a dagger for stealth kills) as the primary weapon in a new playthrough. I've never used bound weapons before, so I'm somewhat confused as to how they work.

My main concern is that, without being able to temper them like you do with real weapons, their damage output, though high at first, will quickly become low in comparison to what you could have with physical weapons. For example, a bound sword with the Mystic Binding perk has a damage rating of 14—the same base damage as a Daedric sword. But (if I'm doing the math right), with a smithing skill of 40, and the Steel Smithing perk unlocked, you should be able to temper a steel sword to a damage rating of 13. Suddenly the bound sword isn't looking all that great anymore.

So, is exclusively using a bound sword a viable option, past level 20 or so? I know that improving your one-handed skill and unlocking perks in that tree will improve your damage output, but that's true of physical swords as well, so it doesn't give the bound sword any sort of advantage. Is there anything that can help keep the bound sword from going obsolete in later levels?

MrDSL

I'm curious about the exact same thing..

End game I find the weapons a bit overpowered which is why I still use Nightingale blade over other weapons..I just picked up bound bow and it looks really cool and I like not carrying arrows around but my concern is the damage output is going to suck so bad.

Hopefully we can get some answers and I may even end up using them just to make it more challenging.

Without using any glitches and maxing out a nice dragon or daedric sword with some chaos/fire enchant combo things die really fast.

jensen2185

On my first playthrough, I wanted to make a mage. Logically, I went with High Elf. After messing around with conjuring spells, I thought the bound weapons were great. Unfortunately you are correct, they achieve about the same damage output as unimproved daedric weapons. While using them, you increase your conjuring skill as well as one-handed. So if you are trying to increase conjuring skill quickly, then I suppose it could be a good idea. Having unlimited arrows is a great perk too, if you are trying to boost archery. The soul capturing perk for bound weapons is very helpful also.

Many people starting out have little interest in smithing or enchanting or alchemy. But once you master the game, it is more apparent that those three skills combined at max level can allow you to create weapons that do scary amounts of damage. The bound weapons become obsolete once you reach a high level of smithing skill.

If you put points into Conjuration there is a perk to boost bound weapon damage. In the higher levels, they will do less damage than say, a player made/improved weapon, but you won't have to worry about weight I guess...

sticky runes

I've only just started using bound weapons for my latest mage character. It's nice to have the perk that enables soul trap on them, and never needing to use a soul gem to recharge them (like you do with enchanted weapons) but the main reason I'm using bound weapons is to steer away from smithing (except for jewellery) because I did so much of that with my other characters, and I want the character to stay as magical orientated as possible. You're also saving inventory space, like Malignanttoe mentioned.

And yes, simply having a bound weapon in your hand will help level up your conjuration skills when an enemy shows up. you can also conjure weapons and use a summon creature at the same time, it won't cancel the other spell out.

My biggest annoyance with bound weapons is that they are slower to pull out than physical weapons.

Twiffle

a simple potion made with any two of Dragons tongue/Fly Amanita/Troll fat will make fortify two handed for the bound battleaxe (which i am using) or for one handed (bound sword) any two of Canis root/bear claws/hanging moss/hawk feathers/rock warbler egg/small pearl and either one gives a good punch to the stats as well as making money for you as well,, win win, :D

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I use Bound Bow a lot with my mage. At level 40 it is still a good weapon. I do keep something with the Fortify Archery enchant in case i feel like I'm not killing things fast enough.

Liger

I think the bound weapons are worth having slash learning, its always good to have an extra weapon that weights nothening in you aresinal

Bound Weapons are great trainers for both the Weapon Skill, and Conjuration. They do a lot of Damage early on, which is what weapon skills' XP is based on, so you level them faster with the greater power. I warn you that Conjuration levels quickly already, and with Bound Sword in particular, faster than any other school of Magic. So, unless you're planning on doing something else with Conjuration, what this does is level up a dump skill so you reach the point that they're less effective without the Crafting and Weapon skills proportionate to replace them. If you're primarilly interested in the Weapon skill it'self, you're probably better off getting Skyforge Steel, and Smithing to rapidly level those, and get your extra damage from that.

ABound Battleaxe is Glitcheriffic, so I find a hard time making a build to truly take advantage of it. If you're going for 2H, you're better off running the Companions. Another option is Splashing Conjuration just up to Mystic Binding, and only casting it (The Sword, or Bow) when you really need it. They can't be Disarmed, so if you know you're taking on a Draugr Lord with that shout, it's a good tactical move. Also, they're the best for smuggling into Cidnha Mine, so you have something better than Pickaxes, and Shivs to fight your way out.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I warn you that Conjuration levels quickly already, and with Bound Sword in particular, faster than any other school of Magic. So, unless you're planning on doing something else with Conjuration, what this does is level up a dump skill so you reach the point that they're less effective without the Crafting and Weapon skills proportionate to replace them.
I thought about that, and figured I would use necromancy as my secondary skill, since I'd be leveling Conjuration, and so I could eventually make Titus Mede II my pet. :D

In that case, Bound Weapons are definitely the way to go. In the endgame, when you do have superior crafted weapons, and Dead Thralls, you save a lot in the earlier levels building up to that point.

Last time I did Cidnha Mine, I killed Madanach in one shot with a shiv to the back. It was delightful.
Where it really hurts is for Archers aiming to get the gauntlets of the Old Gods. After that, you have to escape through a Dwarven Ruin, with Spherebots, among other things, no Armor, and no Bow. Bound Bow rocks for this, and you can make it through in 1 casting (To prevent compounding the off skill XP.)

aussiegirlz

I'm one of those that hates making the game too simple - so I don't create those overly powerful weapons. I love using the bound bow - no weight, endless arrows and a pretty decent damage impact even at higher levels - but if you are looking for a one hit kill kind of weapon then - yeah bound weapons aren't going to do it once you get into the boss fights at higher levels.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Where it really hurts is for Archers aiming to get the gauntlets of the Old Gods. After that, you have to escape through a Dwarven Ruin, with Spherebots, among other things, no Armor, and no Bow. Bound Bow rocks for this, and you can make it through in 1 casting (To prevent compounding the off skill XP.)
Shouldn't be that hard. If you're aiming to get the Old Gods gear, you should have Madanach and the Forsworn with you, so they can take care of the enemies in the ruin. If you're going it alone, just sneak around them, if your sneak skill is high enough, or RUN. I've run past the frostbite spider and both spheres before. It's a little humbling, but hey, it works!

DRTBAG

I love the bound bow, & have made short work of high Lvl foes with the mystic binding as well as archery perks & enchantments. I still kick ass with it at Lvl 60. I love the endless arrows, as well as the weightlessness. I love archery & my biggest prob is choosing what bows to take with me & with the bound bow its always there. Also, going to jail, like Cidna Mine for example, its nice to have a weapon without having a weapon. If you catch my meaning.

"Hope for everything, expect nothing."

agfazzone

Professional Sweetroll Taster
I'm trying the bound weapons thing with my lvl 20 mage, and I'm kind of repeating what people above me have said but once conjuration is high enough, if you are using your bound weapon, plus perks and multiplying pendants/rings etc, plus any thralls you have raised (since you are going for necromancy as your secondary), you may still put out a good amount of damage, and is convenient when you're fighting multiple things at one time. (my 1st character fought Volsung with Serana, Shadowmere, and a conjured Dremora..he went down pretty fast..I think I might have overreacted bc he spawned before I saved the game ooops. and he was first dragon priest I got since Otar and I died so many times fighting him..I was really low leveled and had terrible weapons) It still may not be as much damage as with a maxed out high ranked smithed weapon plus followers etc but you don't want things to be toooo easy right? :p

DRTBAG

You know, I JUS took out Otar for the 1st time last night & it was a bound bow with all archer perks+ triple sneak bonus+ 60% enchant necklace & 100 Smith. Took me 2 shots. & Lvl 50ish....:D

"Hope for everything, expect nothing."

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts