Anyone else banned from Skyrim Nexus?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
@ Dagmar, I see three posts where people agree about the "horror stories on the nexus". Steam has none of that, and simply can't be blamed for the DLC problem, no way, it's the game maker.. get a clue, all your objections there are "feeble" at best.

Nothing I wrote is irrelevant, you just can't discern the reality. I've worked for major corporations for the last 20 years, mostly software licensing and the re-seller channel. What do you have, 14 years of chewing bubble gum?

In that case (and again this is skyrim, this isnt Gearbox forum) you again make the same point he did, it's the game makers responsibility to design the game for steam, not the other way around. Steam is just a retail POC, the vendor is responsible for it's DLC content and how it is downloaded. Totally hypocritical statement AGAIN!

Good point, you obviously know nothing about software, computers or licensing models. All nexus does is host files with a comments section. Steam offers much more security and performance while browsing with your friends and buying games. Hands down the leader in the industry. So go ahead and hate, doesn't bother me. I'm use to 90% of the gene pool having no common sense.

But, this is "skyrim forums". how is that feeble or a non point? Did you forget where you are too? This string was about the nexus and skyrim mods on steam.

But was anyone's computer compromised with a trojan virus? No, did anyone lose money? No. This was an "attempt" to hack into steam, but no damage was done because as I stated before, they have safeguards and good infrastructure in place.

Why don't you link an article that proves this? Because none of them show any real damage. This conversation isnt about whether or not hackers are trying to penetrate steam, its about damage control when they do. Steam has never been successfully hacked to date and has never served up trojan virus's to their downloading subscribers. NEVER ONCE!

Key word here is "encrypted". The hackers never could decode the encrypted information. Hence no money damage was done. A professional organization, with "encrypted" files.. love it! Love steam!

Feeble you say? Nah, try just plain lame attempts to troll me.

Sean

lost somewhere
You can disable dlc, you just can't delete it easily. I've done it several times on my pc. No service has it all right. Some mods are available on the nexus, some are available on steam.

With that said steam doesn't charge me for a service 3 months after I cancled because their website doesn't link to their paypal.

It's funny how blind you are, as Steam has also been hacked, and people do have "horror stories" about steam, you can even do a quick google search to find them.

From what I can see, people have had their accounts randomly deleted, Steam has terrible customer service, and the DRM is a pretty big issue with some people, so by all accounts, ignore anything that goes against Steam because it doesn't fit in with your opinions.

You don't seem to read practically anything shown, and their are more Pros with Nexus than Steam, and the Pros also outweigh the Cons.

The Nexus has:
-more games available for the NMM
-allows you to re-sort your mod order easily
-a more established modding community
-allows you to disable a mod/DLC WITHOUT having to open the game launcher
--which is good if you want to load Skyrim Script Extender right after, and not have to deal with the launcher
-Seems pretty secure to me, but then again, I am not an idiot when downloading files
--Never had an issue with trojans from them either
-Ads can be blocked with something called AdBlock (such a new and revolutionary thing, :rolleyes:)
-No fee to use their tool
-Can use the Games for Windows version with NMM
-Disabling a mod will restore what was there previously, without having to jump through any hoops

Edit:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...ack-credit-cards-personal-info-may-be-stolen/
http://techland.time.com/2012/02/13/steam-hack-worse-than-thought-three-months-later/

In this new update — delivered last Friday night, after the closing bell — Valve CEO Gabe Newell wrote that the company has still “found no evidence that the intruders took information from [the Steam] database,” but that it “recently … learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008,” and that the backup file contained “user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.” (The one upside: It reportedly didn’t include Steam passwords.)...

...While it’d be foolish to blame Valve for being hacked, it’s hard to imagine a company taking three months to determine that the “intruders” pilfered an extremely sensitive file (backup or otherwise). That’s a 90 day lag between the hack event and the point at which customers are being implicitly advised to take action, e.g. cancel and reissue any cards associated with Valve’s Steam service (I would, and will). Even Sony was more forthcoming (and sooner) about its far more serious PlayStation Network breach last April.

If companies want our trust, keeping us better apprised about data theft is essential. Saying nothing for three months, then admitting a breach was worse than thought (or, for that matter, taking a full three months just to figure that out), makes me less inclined to use such a service.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
@ Dagmar, I see three posts where people agree about the "horror stories on the nexus". Steam has none of that, and simply can't be blamed for the DLC problem, no way, it's the game maker.. get a clue, all your objections there are "feeble" at best.
Again this is irrelevant to the very simple and irrefutable observation that Steam's system for content management is relatively rigid and inflexible. Like all your responses to my posts it's a total straw man. You consistently fail to respond to the point because you have nothing to refute it so tilting at windmills is your only resort rather than simple use of common sense to concede the point.
Nothing I wrote is irrelevant, you just can't discern the reality.
No, you simply choose to ignore the meaning of the word. As stated above, nothing you've responded with is on point regardless of your willful blindness to that fact driven by a clouded and misguided ego.
I've worked for major corporations for the last 20 years, mostly software licensing and the re-seller channel. What do you have, 14 years of chewing bubble gum?
Yet again you commit another sad logical fallacy making a false appeal to authority. The facts stand on their own. Only the truly desperate are forced to resort to waving their epeni and infantile immature ad hominems because they have no relevant facts to support their position. You may as well wave the white flag since metaphorically that's all you're doing with this statement.
In that case (and again this is skyrim, this isnt Gearbox forum) you again make the same point he did, it's the game makers responsibility to design the game for steam, not the other way around. Steam is just a retail POC, the vendor is responsible for it's DLC content and how it is downloaded.
This only displays profound ignorance about what Steam is. Steam is not simply a retail POC. That only encompasses a fraction of the service it provides to both its retailer and the consumer licensees The overwhelming functionality of the software is devoted to content management technology. It is a large part of its selling point to retailers.
Totally hypocritical statement AGAIN!
You clearly don't even understand the meaning of the word. Throwing around the term simply because it has a negative connotation while being completely out of context only makes one look foolish and inept.
So go ahead and hate, doesn't bother me. I'm use to 90% of the gene pool having no common sense.
It must come from having to look at yourself in the mirror everyday. :rolleyes:
But, this is "skyrim forums". how is that feeble or a non point? Did you forget where you are too? This string was about the nexus and skyrim mods on steam.
You responded directly tomy post which clearly makes the subject matter of our discussion the content management features of Steam no matter how much you would like to pretend otherwise. I've haven't forgotten anything. You on the other had have displayed large deficits in the ability to retain a very simple fact about Steam.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...Steam has never been successfully hacked to date and has never served up trojan virus's to their downloading subscribers. NEVER ONCE!....
What color is the sky in your world? Are there unicorns there?

Steam was successfully hacked. The act is defined by the fact that the hackers gained access to information they should never have been able to get, not by their ability to use credit card information. They still were able to circumvent Steam's security which by common definition, regardless of what the word may mean in your personal "reality", is what successful hacking entails.

Further only the credit card information was encrypted. The rest of the personal information of the account holders was not. Depending on what information account holders chose to provide that could have been used for identity theft and targetting for phishing scams. There's no way practical method to get a metric of that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to any of the account holders whose information was compromised.

The sky is blue here, it's a beautiful day and I'm going outside to enjoy it with my kids on my vacation here.

It's been interesting reading the grasp at straws... toodles ;)

utael

Dagmar do you know your emails are sold by Nexus as well as your name? advertising companies approach high traffic websites and purchase the emails. Sorry any email can get targeted look at and forum. Hell if Rayven wanted to she could sell emails from this forum as well. I'm glad she doesn't (at least thats what the TOS say) but she could change those TOS at any time and sell email addresses. THEY AREN'T private info. Just like they can serve junk mail to your home address. Its public info.

As far as hacking goes. Yes steam was hacked. Pretty much any website out there is hacked. Its about the info that was taken. Steam kept their plops encrypted and didn't pull a Sony who left the credit card numbers in an UN-encrypted text document.

Again, one service isn't better than the other and neither of you will convince the other of anything but before making blanket statements try getting in dept with the discussion.

My stance on both is don't throw your cards one way or the other. As far as me I won't be using the nexus nearly as much as I'll use steam the reason being is Nexus continued to charge me for premium service after I had canceled and it took an email to explain what was going on and the reply from the owner of the website proceeded to act as if I was the moron for telling her to refund my account.

Sean

lost somewhere
Dagmar do you know your emails are sold by Nexus as well as your name? advertising companies approach high traffic websites and purchase the emails. Sorry any email can get targeted look at and forum. Hell if Rayven wanted to she could sell emails from this forum as well. I'm glad she doesn't (at least thats what the TOS say) but she could change those TOS at any time and sell email addresses. THEY AREN'T private info. Just like they can serve junk mail to your home address. Its public info.

As far as hacking goes. Yes steam was hacked. Pretty much any website out there is hacked. Its about the info that was taken. Steam kept their pl*** encrypted and didn't pull a Sony who left the credit card numbers in an UN-encrypted text document.

Again, one service isn't better than the other and neither of you will convince the other of anything but before making blanket statements try getting in dept with the discussion.

My stance on both is don't throw your cards one way or the other. As far as me I won't be using the nexus nearly as much as I'll use steam the reason being is Nexus continued to charge me for premium service after I had canceled and it took an email to explain what was going on and the reply from the owner of the website proceeded to act as if I was the moron for telling her to refund my account.

Except they did wait 90 days before saying that it was worse than people thought, and that is a pretty low move.
I would never trust either company with my card details or even personal information, but the main point of this little discussion is how Hannibal thinks that Nexus is full of viruses and will be dead in a month (or some idiotic timeframe), and then claims to have facts bases on one hacking, even though Steam went through a time of it being hacked, too.

I don't care of one person preferring Steam or Nexus over the other, but stating something on know real grounds, and then denying any and all facts is just irritating.

Then there's the rating spam, which just shows how immature Hannibal is.

Sean

lost somewhere
Once again Sean_ is making stuff up to troll. Which shows his true nature.

I added this thread to let people know that my mod was no longer hosted on the nexus and why. I never gave any time frame for when nexus would die, I just said using it's present model it would someday.
Assumed, since you have been ranting so much.

People should be warned of all these facts about the nexus in this thread by me and others as well. In light of everything that has been posted here and many other forums I found, the nexus is a blight to the gaming community and the web in general. They have been blocked by the major search engines on more than one occasion for spreading trojans.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/905491-that-google-malware-thing/
http://www.gameskyrim.com/tes-nexus-infected-t68797-75.html
I have shown similar of Steam

No one is in danger of downloading a trojan or any other virus from the Steam workshop network. Steam has never been blocked by the search engines.

No.

Facts are facts, people that see this thread are that much more aware and can discern the truth for themselves. I've done what I can to warn them.
:rolleyes:

Nothing Sean_ or Dagmar said about steam or the nexus holds any water or brings any true value at all. In fact I've seen you vacillate several times. Obviously you need to learn how to use a computer. They choose to be ignorant just to troll this thread.

Right, maybe you should read your posts.

As far as rating's spamming, where do you get that? You were the one warned for spammed ratings so you meant to say Sean_ is an immature liar and a troll to boot!
What?
You went through 8 of my previous posts just to give me a Disagree, despite them being past posts.
You did all 8 at once, not separately, that seems like spam to me.

No real grounds for what I've said? I posted links that showed real damage caused by the nexus, you posted ones that showed steam won against their attempted intrusions. Those are facts pal. You just post garbage.

Losing personal information and credit card info is definitely winning.

Constantly bringing up the same pseudo points that have already been proven wrong by me speaks volumes about your character and what you do with your time. I've got like 25 posts, you have 322, damn dude, get a life!

Now you try to attack me with the MOST HYPOCRITICAL insult on the internet, very sad.
I'm not the one who had to go through other posts to give a rating.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
hannibalektr, Dude you went too far when you started pointing the "Get a life" finger at Sean_ over of his post count. I've been a member here since Jun 1, 2012 and I've posted 2,402(plus 1) messages here. Do I need a life? Probably but you know what? While I do have RL friends... They simply do not have a particular interests in gaming like I do. I'm forced to reach out over the internet to community like forums with other gamers; like this forum for an example.

This forum is a community; great for socialization. For you to tell people to get a life over their post count is somewhat childish. I hope you take the time to reread your post that you would man up and apologize for that silly statement.

Sean

lost somewhere
The moderator stands by my right to post in here. So, go kick yourself, rofl @ this thread. OMG, its drama!

Way to sound like a spoiled child.
Do you not read what you are typing?

hannibalektr, Dude you went too far when you started pointing the "Get a life" finger at Sean_ over of his post count. I've been a member here since Jun 1, 2012 and I've posted 2,402(plus 1) messages here. Do I need a life? Probably but you know what? While I do have RL friends... They simply do not have a particular interests in gaming like I do. I'm forced to reach out over the internet to community like forums with other gamers; like on this forum for an example.

This forum is a community; great for socialization. For you to tell people to get a life over their post count is somewhat childish. I hope you take the time to reread your post that you would man up and apologize for that silly statement.

Hannibal appears to be a troll, and nothing more.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
hannibalektr, Dude you went too far when you started pointing the "Get a life" finger at Sean_ over of his post count. I've been a member here since Jun 1, 2012 and I've posted 2,402(plus 1) messages here. Do I need a life? Probably but you know what? While I do have RL friends... They simply do not have a particular interests in gaming like I do. I'm forced to reach out over the internet to community like forums with other gamers; like this forum for an example.

*raises hand* I need a life...:oops:

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
In response to the whole hacking thing...there's one fundamental thing some of you seem to be missing:

If it's on the web, it can be hacked. If it's on a computer, it can be hacked.

Who cares if the Nexus gets hacked more often than Steam? Who cares that the Nexus is downloading trojan horses? Yaknow, if your computer had the proper protection, you can guard yourself against the electronic STDs and this becomes a moot point. Yaknow, there's a good possibility that this site is installing adware on your computer without your knowledge too....you gonna go trashing it now?

As I said before, both systems have their good points, and both have their bad. I would also like to take this moment to say that deleting ANYTHING downloaded by Steam is a COMPLETE pain in the badonkadonk, and their customer service quite frankly sucks balls. After I destroyed my copy of Morrowind with a mod, I emailed their support and got NO response. SUPER pissed. Fortunately, Chowder138 gave me a hand with it, and I'm all honkey dorey now.

Like I said before, both systems have their ups and their downs. Lesson here: keep your nose clean and your computer's condom up-to-date and you'll be fine.

Cause seriously, this thread has turned into this:

In other news, I tried to embed that video and got a "the server did not respond" and damn near had a heart attack...all that ranting for nothing!! :eek: :D

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
hannibalektr has elected to stop posting in this thread. Are there any objections to me closing it? Or are there any actual non-rehashed points to be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts