Anyone else banned from Skyrim Nexus?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I gave two answers.

1) to disable the DLC's do this:
if you launch Skyrim, and click on "Game Data" (on the small, first menu screen), you have the option to disable the DLC.
That's not a Steam feature. It's a feature of the game. The undeniable fact remains that Steam offers no means to disable DLC and many games (probably most if not all games that don't allow modification by users) don't have a built in option to disable DLC.
This works perfectly for me. If it doesnt work for you, than just use steam in "offline mode".. and you can google how to do that, I'm not explaining anything else as it seems to be a waste of time anyway.
I already explained why that's a total non-solution. It won't work for Borderlands 2 or most other games. The bottom line is that Steam doesn't allow you to disable DLC. It's an extremely rigid and inflexible in this regard and therefore Sean_'s observation of this fact is completely valid and your counterargument is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with how Steam functions.

That's not a Steam feature. It's a feature of the game. The undeniable fact remains that Steam offers no means to disable DLC and many games (probably most if not all games that don't allow modification by users) don't have a built in option to disable DLC.
I already explained why that's a total non-solution. It won't work for Borderlands 2 or most other games. The bottom line is that Steam doesn't allow you to disable DLC. It's an extremely rigid and inflexible in this regard and therefore Sean_'s observation of this fact is completely valid and your counterargument is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with how Steam functions.

*Feature of the game or not, it is downloaded from steam and it works.

*For other games that you are complaining about, why did you buy the DLC's if you didnt want them?

*You bring up a great point, "It's a feature of the game", which I think you should be complaining about the game makers not offering this option instead of blaming steam.

*"Everyone has an opinion, ... , for me Sean_'s observation and your's is still wrong, which makes your whole rant here irrelevant.

***Incase you didn't notice, this is the "Skyrim Forums". So the subject was a bit specific and relevant to "Skyrim". Guess you forgot where you were eh?

Medea

The Shadow Queen
If you think moderators on Skyrim Nexus are bad, swing by rpg.net sometime.

Sean

lost somewhere
*Feature of the game or not, it is downloaded from steam and it works.

*For other games that you are complaining about, why did you buy the DLC's if you didnt want them?

*You bring up a great point, "It's a feature of the game", which I think you should be complaining about the game makers not offering this option instead of blaming steam.

*"Everyone has an opinion, ... , for me Sean_'s observation and your's is still wrong, which makes your whole rant here irrelevant.

***Incase you didn't notice, this is the "Skyrim Forums". So the subject was a bit specific and relevant to "Skyrim". Guess you forgot where you were eh?

You still haven't given anything VALID that makes Steam something better to use than NMM.
With steam, you still can't remove a mod automatically and have it restore what you had prior to that mod, or even choose to overwrite one file over another (and options such as "No to Folder" or "No to Mod" making it extremely simple).
Which is something NMM can do, quite easily.

Maybe you don't want that content to be accessed just because it loaded automatically (on a fresh save), that seems like more than a good enough reason to not want it at that time.
This is the Skyrim Forums, but if you are claiming something is better, because and then use something that is part of the game then that point is invalid, because it is from Skyrim's Launcher.
NMM can let you reorganize the load order to how you want it, and disable which ones you want.

Sean

lost somewhere
Yes I have, but apparently you can't read. But, since you can't either read, extrapolate from that reading, or remember what you've just read I'll make it very simple.

The site is not secure is the biggest one, especially for NMM. Of which did give me a virus, and prior to that deleted all of my mod changes and ruined my skyrim install so I had to do a new one from scratch.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...nexus-reportedly-compromised-by-malware-hack/

Except, if you got it via a download, then that can happen on Steam, so that is the risk of the internet. Just like anything, you should watch what you do, and don't just download anything at random.

I never had that issue, but I actually read the comments of mods, and I have antivirus software that automatically scans compressed files when they are downloading, and then there is what already came on my computer, so that helps.

So, not valid, as if you actually had a good anti virus, then that wouldn't have happened, but because you think that Steam is perfect and that every mod author on there is a "good" one, it would be valid...to you.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Nexus doesn't force you to pay money. While that screen looks like you have to pick one, when you scroll down (at least this was true when I made my account) it did specify you didn't need to pay anything and could just continue.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Nexus doesn't force you to pay money. While that screen looks like you have to pick one, when you scroll down (at least this was true when I made my account) it did specify you didn't need to pay anything and could just continue.

Perhaps I missed something there. I just couldn't get my eyes off of what they were showing me. Anyhow I'm much more content on talking Skyrim here than anywhere else in this massive cyber world. I prefer this site other the official Bethesda forum for Mara sake.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well I don't talk on Nexus. I just registered to get some of the mods people recommended. I've got enough forum in my life with this one ;)

Me too. I have an account in skyrimnexus , but have never once commented on the forums because of the horror stories I've heard about people randomly being banned for saying something that wasn't even offensive. I just download my mods and I'm on my way lol

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I use the Skyrim Nexus to download mods...and that is all. After searching the forums there doing some research for someone, I found that the users there were kinda rude, as a group. I've also heard horror stories here about people being banned with no warning, and frankly, that freaks me out cause we all know how foot-in-mouth I can be. :) This isn't to say that I'm a huge fan of Steam's setup either, but both have their perks and both have their drawbacks. That's why I use both, depending on what my desires at that very moment are.

Dagmar

This is completely irrelevant. That aside I didn't buy it. Gearbox decided to give the UVH Upgrade to Season Pass holders several months after Season Passes had been purchased. It was never advertised as part of the Season Pass nor was it planned at the time of release for Borderlands 2. Season Pass holders literally had no say in the matter because of the way Steam functions.
There's been plenty of blame leveled at Gearbox for the poor conceptualization and implementation of the UVH Upgrade DLC but it's still completely irrelevant to the fact that Steam doesn't allow you to disable DLC while other management systems like those for the Xbox and PS3 platforms do allow you to delete DLC. This is a problem unique to Steam.
"Everyone has an opinion
Some are informed and have basis in fact while others do not.
..which makes your whole rant here irrelevant.
Making blatant mischaracterizations of simple observations of fact in a transparently feeble attempt to shoot them down because they undermine your attempts to claim that the infexible and rigid content management system of Steam is otherwise is a bit pathetic.
..***Incase you didn't notice, this is the "Skyrim Forums". So the subject was a bit specific and relevant to "Skyrim". Guess you forgot where you were eh?
Yet another feeble non-point. The discussion is about what Steam has to offer over other content management platforms. Guess you forgot about what the actual point of discussion was. :rolleyes:

Dagmar

No it has never happened on steam and probably never will because they are a legit company that has professional admins, firewalls, software and hardware that is secure.
Valve's online game service Steam hit by hackers :rolleyes:
BBC News said:
...The initial investigation showed that the attackers gained access to a Steam database that held "user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information"...

utael

You can disable dlc, you just can't delete it easily. I've done it several times on my pc. No service has it all right. Some mods are available on the nexus, some are available on steam.

With that said steam doesn't charge me for a service 3 months after I cancled because their website doesn't link to their paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.