A New Type of Playthrough

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Allet

Article Writer
How much content is doable without using a weapon of any sort?
More specifically, how much content is doable without using offensive magicks, weapons, or fists?

I'm curious about a new type of playthrough that focuses entirely on the non-combat aspects of the game: Focusing on skills such as Sneak, Lockpick, Persuasion, Alchemy, and Alteration (maybe Enchantment, but it'll be raised naturally without trying to "break" my character's progression). Just how many money sinks are in the vanilla game? All other skills would be raised via training and I guess I could just save my perks until I find a need to start combat.

What are the rules for items respawning in NPC inventories and in their homes?
Has anybody tried a strictly non-combat build and had much success with it?

Khazrihl

You sir, are a madman.

But I say this with all the kindness in my heart.

Metallipath

Premium Member
I suspect that you could finish almost any storyline with Illusion spells like Frenzy and Invisibility.

I wonder if a pacifist playthrough would be fun? I think I'll have a go at it to see how far I can go. I suppose using Illusion magic would be a bit of a cop out. I'll have to make a very small wimpy character and have him run past everything with a scared look on his face. Hahaha!

Stone

Retired Moderator
How much content is doable without using a weapon of any sort?
More specifically, how much content is doable without using offensive magicks, weapons, or fists?

I'm curious about a new type of playthrough that focuses entirely on the non-combat aspects of the game: Focusing on skills such as Sneak, Lockpick, Persuasion, Alchemy, and Alteration (maybe Enchantment, but it'll be raised naturally without trying to "break" my character's progression). Just how many money sinks are in the vanilla game? All other skills would be raised via training and I guess I could just save my perks until I find a need to start combat.

What are the rules for items respawning in NPC inventories and in their homes?
Has anybody tried a strictly non-combat build and had much success with it?
Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question because I don't know. However, I could make a prediction. Judging that most of Skyrim encounters you with random monsters as your exploring, it's virtually impossible to avoid combat, (unless you flee).

I would like to make a suggestion which you might like, you could create an account like your saying but make it a hunter too. So, you could like carry around a bow and hunt for animals on some occasions. Then take there fur and make it into leather, which can be used in smithing. You can also use your bow then to kill attacking monsters. I haven't attempted to create a character like this yet, but I'm definitely interested in doing so in the near future.

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
I like the idea. This basis is why I dislike the "non-offensive" and "non-defensive" skills within the same point system as the offense and defence skills. I understand why, it would be a hassle to split them programming wise, but I would love the ability to not have to have gone to level 81, all max skills, just to get the perks I wanted for O and D, because I love levelling "crafting" and side skills such as speech. This would be a fun build, but I think you'd still be required to kill within dungeons. I mean, I suppose it is possible to bypass a lot of the optional battles, but the daugr might not like you trying to side step them. :)

brandon

the only drow i cant sneak past in a dungeon are the last boss nomatter what i do as soon as i get the big item or the word he always wakes up and sees me.

Jaeger

You can't fear or calm everything in a dungeon while you're looting...as an archaelogist of course.

How about a play through where you only can choose perks in a racial bonus skill.

brandon

you know even indiana jones had to fight sometimes. and he was a badass

Flamingtaco

Main quest yes, as there are always people with you. If you do other quests which require killing you can always hire/ earn followers.

Volsung

Fortune favours the Bold
Would love to see someone attempt this.

Flamingtaco

ME either. I thought this playthrough before.
I think completing main quest is possible with only talking
probably speech skill would need. maybe sneak, alchemy.

and iam wondering what minimum character lavel I can complete the main quest.
playing no level up as possible as i could
its not possible to not level up unless you literally just get good companions to do everything

Wanderer

I started a character with the plan to only hunt/mine/craft, I think I made it to lvl 17 before I started again. I had to stick to the roads because he was too weak for a serious engagements. Had to always run until I got around NCPs to fight everything. It got boring. Jumping into a cave, killing the inhabitants, looting the goodies, and laughing all the way to the vendor is the life for me.

Sakura

Ok so one of your alchemy responses said during your youtube video that you were waiting two days to collect more ingredients from the one lady arcadia's couldron in whiterun. you said we need to hit the gide button to cut the waiting time in half what is the guide button? I you do not mind sharing of course. Thank You