Psiberzerker's Build Clinic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So, build up Conj until I could use a bound sword, carry a bow until I can cast bound bow, and it would be good?

What would that build look like?
Bound Sword is a Novice spell. Anyone can cast it, and it lasts 2 minutes, so you have plenty of time to recover enough to pop off Oakflesh before stepping in with a shield. Just cast it, you'll get enough experience eaxh time if you get in a fight at all while it's Active. If you're going to work Archery (I didn't see it in that last description) then Bound Bow takes a lot of Magicka, and both hands, so you can't cast anything else without putting it away. it's more than powerful enough to make up for it, but your Summons, and Armor spells will wear off first, potentially leaving you Exposed. (Just so you know.)

Carry a dagger, there's always a chance of being caught between recasts, and your Magicka too low for Bound Sword, pulling a dagger is much quicker if you're in close quarters, or they're all most apon you. There's also quite a few extremely powerful Swords, some of which are available through various Faction arcs. Instead of Archery, there's still destruction, but that uses up a lot of perks.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#273208 It'll take a long time to get that high level, though...

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Bound Sword is a Novice spell. Anyone can cast it, and it lasts 2 minutes, so you have plenty of time to recover enough to pop off Oakflesh before stepping in with a shield. Just cast it, you'll get enough experience eaxh time if you get in a fight at all while it's Active. If you're going to work Archery (I didn't see it in that last description) then Bound Bow takes a lot of Magicka, and both hands, so you can't cast anything else without putting it away. it's more than powerful enough to make up for it, but your Summons, and Armor spells will wear off first, potentially leaving you Exposed. (Just so you know.)

Carry a dagger, there's always a chance of being caught between recasts, and your Magicka too low for Bound Sword, pulling a dagger is much quicker if you're in close quarters, or they're all most apon you. There's also quite a few extremely powerful Swords, some of which are available through various Faction arcs. Instead of Archery, there's still destruction, but that uses up a lot of perks.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#273208 It'll take a long time to get that high level, though...

Ok, that all makes sense. Now for another rookie question. As a Magic first character, what would be my distance attack? Would a bow be what I used, a spell, or a bow until I had a spell to hit from distance?

Ok, that all makes sense. Now for another rookie question. As a Magic first character, what would be my distance attack? Would a bow be what I used, a spell, or a bow until I had a spell to hit from distance?

Ok, you basically have 2 choices for Range. A Bow is more powerful, but slows you down, and takes both hands. However, it's the least Investments as far as Perks to be effective, especially with the Bound Bow (Since you'll be Conjuring anyway.) So, either you're a Spellcaster, or an Archer at any given time, but you can switch between. The classic class with a Bow, and magic is called a "Witch Hunter" if you want to look it up. The most powerful bow you can get without crafting is the Bound Bow.

Destruction can be weak, or very powerful only if you set it up for the right circumstances. That appears to be people's problems with it, it doesn't come as OP out of the box, and higher levels you have to use it wisely alongside something else. It can also be used to shoot down Dragons. With a Shield, I'd say Destruction, because you can actually use it with a shield, while a bow is standalone. It works well with a sword, too, as does the shield, so for faster transitions, and more combinations to suit every battle, these three are about as good as it gets.

The Conjurer you're talking about, with Dagger, Shield, and Alteration on Defense is much the same, except for not having any direct damage at a distance. You could summon an Atronach, and let them cover you while you trudged in to take them on, but you really can't stand back, and hit them, except with summons. (There's a really good one for this, but you have to fight a Dragon Priest for it.) In this case, you're probably better off going with Archery instead of 1 Handed, because even with the support of Summons, you're stepping into the ring with Warriors, that's their specialty, and if there's 2 of them, you're in deep trouble. If your Alteration Armor wears off in the midst of the fray, you're down to whatever health you have left, and might be able to take 1 more hit. So, you have a minute to win it, or die.

Drop the dagger, carry one for cutting Spiderwebs, or something, but don't bother investing in it. Bound Bow, Block is optional, but you can have a shield pop into your off hand when it times out, so you can still bash, and maneuver away to recast. The point is, when you reach this periodic vulnerability mid-combat when one or more of your durations ran out, you're not in the middle of it with just a Sword, and Shield. You can Block, and bashed, but if you're outnumbered, you won't have time to cast anything, (So Restoration is useless) or you can drop tour shield long enough to fight back, and risk the next hit killing you outright. If you just turtle up too long, they will wear you down eventually...

The only way to avoid that situation is Range. That way, you can kill them before they get to you. That works best with something you can cover, like a Summon. Let them tank for you, if they die, you can just cast another, and another, you basically never run out of re-enforcements if you still have some Magicka. You can also do it with Followers, and/or Zombies, and you can even have 1 of each when you Master Conjuration. (I've gotten it up to more with the right followers.)

Eventually, you should be able to get cast a Dremora Lord, and Bound Bow. The former is pretty much an unstoppable tank, and you can support him safely from a distance. You'll still have to shoot down dragons yourself, but then drop a Storm Atronach instead. Twin Souls means you can have any 2. Archery, and Conjuration can win any fight in the game with enough Defense to not lose first. I'd actually say Light Armor, so you don't have to cast it, and it doesn't wear off. (Just get the Atronach Stone.) Either High Elf, or Breton can do it as well.

Joker

So, a Breton with a bow & shield should be good? I am thinking magic clothing, a good shield, a good bow, bound sword, and sneak my a$$ off while I level up the Conj/Alt trees. You said this would take a while to get that level, is it because I would die a lot, or have to run away, heal, and try again?

Would the LA perk apply to the magicka robes?
No, Robes are Clothing. Light Armor, and Heavy Armor are marked as such. The "Mage Armor" (Alteration) perks triple the effectiveness of Oak-Ebonyflesh only if you aren't wearing armor, but with a couple exceptions. It doesn't count shields, and a couple items which add very little Armor (Morokei, and the Diadem of the Savant) which are technically Jewelry. These also don't count as Light Armor for the purposes of it's perks that require you to wear a full suit. (Head Chest Arms legs.) These include Custom Fit, Matched Set, Windwalker, and Deft Movement.

Joker

No, Robes are Clothing. Light Armor, and Heavy Armor are marked as such. The "Mage Armor" (Alteration) perks triple the effectiveness of Oak-Ebonyflesh only if you aren't wearing armor, but with a couple exceptions. It doesn't count shields, and a couple items which add very little Armor (Morokei, and the Diadem of the Savant) which are technically Jewelry. These also don't count as Light Armor for the purposes of it's perks that require you to wear a full suit. (Head Chest Arms legs.) These include Custom Fit, Matched Set, Windwalker, and Deft Movement.

Ok, good to know. :beermug:

So, a Breton with a bow & shield should be good? I am thinking magic clothing, a good shield, a good bow, bound sword, and sneak my a$$ off while I level up the Conj/Alt trees. You said this would take a while to get that level, is it because I would die a lot, or have to run away, heal, and try again?
No, because that's a lot of Skills to fill. Archery, Alteration, Block, Conjuration, and 1H. Archery, and block are pretty perk efficient, but the rest are among the most investment needed to make, and keep them effective. This adds up to about level 45, which takes a long time to reach, unless you exercise several skills at one. With Archery, you can basically do 1, 2 when you cast the bow, and maybe 3 if you add in sneak. 1Handed is what will really wear you down, because it effectively adds 10 levels to what you have to earn, and just to use it, you have to get close enough to get pounded on by stronger, tougher Warriors. A shield would protect you better, and make you able to bash your way out with few if any perks.

An archer is weak in the fray. So is a wizard. Adding a dagger to a Wizard/Archer is basically a wasted invest ment. You're basically betting you can deal more damage faster to armored opponents with better weapons.

Joker

No, because that's a lot of Skills to fill. Archery, Alteration, Block, Conjuration, and 1H. Archery, and block are pretty perk efficient, but the rest are among the most investment needed to make, and keep them effective. This adds up to about level 45, which takes a long time to reach, unless you exercise several skills at one. With Archery, you can basically do 1, 2 when you cast the bow, and maybe 3 if you add in sneak. 1Handed is what will really wear you down, because it effectively adds 10 levels to what you have to earn, and just to use it, you have to get close enough to get pounded on by stronger, tougher Warriors. A shield would protect you better, and make you able to bash your way out with few if any perks.

An archer is weak in the fray. So is a wizard. Adding a dagger to a Wizard/Archer is basically a wasted invest ment. You're basically betting you can deal more damage faster to armored opponents with better weapons.

Yeah, I am sticking with tank mode, and carrying a bow......:D

Nighthiker77

Also do the block perks for magic resist and deflect arrows only work if the shield is up? I haven't had a chance to play in like 2 weeks and I can't wait to rip through with a new build.

Would your bound bow and targe trick work with Windshear?
Definitely, just don't bother with Block, and run for it, but Faendal Train, and get as much stealth XP as you can to get deadly aim. Nasty combo, BTW, though I've never built a character around it...

Windshear is the least fair 1H trainer available. You can grind up from 15 and be in relatively little danger until they out number you by too many to handle (Which is about 4) so just don't get surrounded. No Stamina needed, so don't invest in it. Was this the Khajiit you were planning on going with? Just use your claw when you need it until then, if you just do Fort Amol, and the Dark Brotherhood. Armor is completely Optional, but they have some nice clothes as well.

Also do the block perks for magic resist and deflect arrows only work if the shield is up? I haven't had a chance to play in like 2 weeks and I can't wait to rip through with a new build.
Elemental Protaction works if you have the shield equipped, even with your arms down. Deflect Arrows only works on those that actually hit your shield, while you have block up. Windshear is a better pick for damage, but I was saving it as a Spoiler. Since you're going for it anyway, you can get 2 points into Armsman right away. Don't really need to Power Attack, so save Fighting Stance, you might want Dual Flurry/Savagery for the Blade of Woe when you can get it, but concentrate on Damage. You'll also have to put your first few level points into Magicka just to cast Bound Bow.

Joker

Psiberzerker, I have a question for you, yeah another new guy question......Does the Archery skill apply to Bound Bow? I ask because I want to start a "Sneak Archer", someone that kills from a distance, with 1H & a Shield when things don't die when I shoot them with arrows from a distance. I was thinking that I would use the Archery Elf - Bosmer, so I had a head start on the archery. With the 1H, LA, & Sneak as base skills, I was thinking that this could be fun.

AS88

Staff member
Does the Archery skill apply to Bound Bow?

Yes :)

Using a Bound Bow levels both your Conjuration and Archery skills, too.

Joker

Psiberzerker, I am in need of your help. My son got on Skyrim, and deleted my saves that had my Magic character. :mad:

While I had switched back to an archer, up to level 18 with th guidance you gave me in regards to perk points ;) , could you give me some guidance on a new magic first character? I am thinking that I would focus on Conjuration rather than Destruction, which burned me before. Plus, I don't think I was being smart with my points. I know I am going back and forth, but I am trying to figure out which style I like best.

I really like the archer's ability to reach out and touch someone, but I also like the idea of a mage that can defend herself up close. I will just be playing my two new characters for a while after this. My goal is to find the blend of skills that I can play effectively, without crippling myself too badly.

Nighthiker77

I'm having fun with my no-crafting build. I have my sneak and illusion up over 60 and I'm staying alive pretty easy so far on adept. I'm going to work on my conjuration and archery next probably, with primary casting and sniper backup skills if I get into something I have too much trouble getting through with magic. It is amazing how many more perks I have to play with no-crafting. Once I can get the half-casting-cost perks up to expert and again at twin souls, I'll have huge power leaps. Not quite as huge as double enchanting but still pretty big. I'm really liking this because I can use all the magic I want, but still have a fallback to my sneak archer comfort zone. I bet I've already popped my daily power more with this character than I have with 15 months of all my other characters combined. It really is like a whole new game experience.

Joker

I'm having fun with my no-crafting build. I have my sneak and illusion up over 60 and I'm staying alive pretty easy so far on adept. I'm going to work on my conjuration and archery next probably, with primary casting and sniper backup skills if I get into something I have too much trouble getting through with magic. It is amazing how many more perks I have to play with no-crafting. Once I can get the half-casting-cost perks up to expert and again at twin souls, I'll have huge power leaps. Not quite as huge as double enchanting but still pretty big. I'm really liking this because I can use all the magic I want, but still have a fallback to my sneak archer comfort zone. I bet I've already popped my daily power more with this character than I have with 15 months of all my other characters combined. It really is like a whole new game experience.

So, no crafting, as in no weapons, just sneak & illusion?

Nighthiker77

I'm using weapons and gear, but not making anything myself, so I have to find it or buy it. I lucked into adept robes of conjuration already so that was awesome. The only weapons I'm carrying are a plain hunting bow, dagger, and imperial sword from Helgen. I'm using bound weapons but carry them as backup. There are at least 2 quests where you can end up with no gear. They aren't that hard(I died several times, but eventually got through) and they are what inspired this build.

I really like making stuff so all my previous characters did tons of crafting. This is way different, and leaves up to 30 perks to use on other skills, or the same other skills up to 30 levels lower. I might still smith improve things I find or buy, but I'm not taking any of the perks. I've been wearing robes with light armor so far, but i don't have barely any skill and no perks yet so I could still change that. I found a +40 magica elven helmet so that was a no brainer, and an awesome score. I have a mod running that makes all the headgear invisible anyway so the looks don't matter.

I just wear the best stuff I find for me and my follower, and sell rest, unless they are light with different enchants like rings or amulets or light armor. Once I can cast dremora lord half-cost, I'll probably switch to the shrouded or ancient shrouded armor set since I won't need as much regen .

Joker

I'm using weapons and gear, but not making anything myself, so I have to find it or buy it. I lucked into adept robes of conjuration already so that was awesome. The only weapons I'm carrying are a plain hunting bow, dagger, and imperial sword from Helgen. I'm using bound weapons but carry them as backup. There are at least 2 quests where you can end up with no gear. They aren't that hard(I died several times, but eventually got through) and they are what inspired this build.

I really like making stuff so all my previous characters did tons of crafting. This is way different, and leaves up to 30 perks to use on other skills, or the same other skills up to 30 levels lower. I might still smith improve things I find or buy, but I'm not taking any of the perks. I've been wearing robes with light armor so far, but i don't have barely any skill and no perks yet so I could still change that. I found a +40 magica elven helmet so that was a no brainer, and an awesome score. I have a mod running that makes all the headgear invisible anyway so the looks don't matter.

I just wear the best stuff I find for me and my follower, and sell rest, unless they are light with different enchants like rings or amulets or light armor. Once I can cast dremora lord half-cost, I'll probably switch to the shrouded or ancient shrouded armor set since I won't need as much regen .

So, regen, conjuration, illusion, LA, and alteration?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts