Psiberzerker's Build Clinic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nighthiker77

My primary skills will be sneak, illusion, conjuration, and archery. Secondary 1hand and light armor probably(might substitute heavy or block). Possibly a little destruction, especially if I go with Block.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
My primary skills will be sneak, illusion, conjuration, and archery. Secondary 1hand and light armor probably(might substitute heavy or block). Possibly a little destruction, especially if I go with Block.

So, what race did you start with, magic elf, archer elf, or khajiit?

Nighthiker77

I started with a high elf Altmer for the +50 magica, daily ability, illusion starting spell, and fastest movement speed. It is perfect for this build really. My second choice would be a Breton for magic resistance and magica absorption daily ability, and a conjuration starting spell, but it is the slowest moving choice in the game if you play a female at 0.95 height and speed. Magic resistance is really nice to have

You can make any of them work, but the daily ability is the main difference. The Altmer ability is useful in all situations for a spell caster. The Breton ability is only useful against casters/shouters. Night eye is really cool, but only useful in the dark. Command animal isn't really useful at all.

Nighthiker77

Practically speaking, Altmer/breton are the only logical choices, any other choice for role playing reasons would be just as good, but will be more difficult.

Joker

Practically speaking, Altmer/breton are the only logical choices, any other choice for role playing reasons would be just as good, but will be more difficult.

I agree that the Altmer is the choice. I might try this later, thanks!

Psiberzerker, I have a question for you, yeah another new guy question......Does the Archery skill apply to Bound Bow? I ask because I want to start a "Sneak Archer", someone that kills from a distance, with 1H & a Shield when things don't die when I shoot them with arrows from a distance. I was thinking that I would use the Archery Elf - Bosmer, so I had a head start on the archery. With the 1H, LA, & Sneak as base skills, I was thinking that this could be fun.
Bound Bow is a bow, it gives you Archery Experience, and works with all Archery Perks. The Spell: Conjure Bound Bow is a spell that makes the weapon. Conjure Bound Bow responds to all Conjuration perks, and there's 3 up the middle that work with all Bound weapons. They add Enchntesque effects to cast on strike. First more damage, then Soul Trap, and finally Banish, and Turn Undead. You can also Dual Cast any of them for greater Duration, though the dual cast Bound Sword defaults to the right hand.

Bound Battleaxe is glitchy, you basically have to savescum to get a clean cast out of it. Dissappoining, because it's a melee hacker with Limbsplitter, Sweep, and the Bash side of Block. If you can cast it, slow transitions, but unencumbered, an Altmer can just run circles around everyone, then led in with Great Critical Charge. You're probably better off with 1H, and possibly Block.

Can you make me an assassin build who (hopefully) never get detected\fight in open combat with NO magic and smithing at all (only bow and dagger)?
Thanks anyway

Nighthiker77

Is there a way to hotkey to the right hand on pc? I've been leaving bound bow in my right and hot keying through other spells in my left. Now that I'm perked up to expert, I don't have twin souls yet, but i can cast DL twice, then bound bow, without waiting for any magica regen. So once I hit 100 I'll be golden. I have my archery perked out and I can sneak 1shot a giant, but it still took maybe 5 shots to take out that forsworn Red Chief boss guy with DL and 2hand follower beating on him, so I think it's a perfect amount of power for this build. I might try shearpoint tonight for a little humility. As soon as I hit 100 conjuration I'll be running for Cidna Mine and the embassy.

Nighthiker77

Can you make me an assassin build who (hopefully) never get detected\fight in open combat with NO magic and smithing at all (only bow and dagger)?
Thanks anyway

I don't think you are going to do very well in melee with a dagger, but if you aren't playing on master, I would bow bash away from the melee and keep shooting if you insist on dagger only.

Movement would be key so I would take archery up to 5/5 and get quick draw and ranger for mid-attack mobility, light armor for stamina regen, and sneak however far you want to take it. Silence is nice since you can't cast muffle, but If you wear shrouded boots, the only thing of use on that side is silent roll. You could dagger melee with shadow warrior, but that really isn't my thing. It could be exactly what you are looking for though. I usually sneak all the time early game since it's offensive and defensive. I think the only things that even come close as an only skill are illusion and block.

I don't think you are going to do very well in melee with a dagger, but if you aren't playing on master, I would bow bash away from the melee and keep shooting if you insist on dagger only.

Movement would be key so I would take archery up to 5/5 and get quick draw and ranger for mid-attack mobility, light armor for stamina regen, and sneak however far you want to take it. Silence is nice since you can't cast muffle, but If you wear shrouded boots, the only thing of use on that side is silent roll. You could dagger melee with shadow warrior, but that really isn't my thing. It could be exactly what you are looking for though. I usually sneak all the time early game since it's offensive and defensive. I think the only things that even come close as an only skill are illusion and block.

I won't need melee becuse I will snipe the enemies from the shadows or slit their throats

Nighthiker77

Thats a pretty simple build with any race. None of the daily powers are especially useful for a sneak archer, except night eye for convenience or berserker Rage if you get caught in melee you can't get out of. I'd pick whichever race you like the most, and just sneak, snipe, and backstab your archery and sneak to 100. If you want to exploit your way up a few levels, you can snipe Astrid from the stairway. It will level fast anyway though since it will be the only skills you are using.

Gear to go for early: Forsworn bow and shrouded armor, once you are Leveled a little, the "of the old gods" armor set and/or ancient shrouded set.

You will definitely want light armor instead of heavy because there is much more/better pre-enchanted archery/assassin gear and the extra stamina regen perk let's you sprint around a lot more.

Nighthiker77

Just don't waste any perks in that root sneak perk. 1/5 is plenty, and I'd take that perk ASAP because that will help you level since only successful sneaking gives you experience.

Joker

After reading the forum some more, I think I have figured out how to get through one time, before I get fancy with magic & things. I started a Female Nord for the purpose of hack & slash, with some archery. I am only focusing on Health for levels, and putting points in Archery, Block, 1H, Smithing & LA. If I cannot find it, I will beat it out of someone, or make it. I am trying not to use any magic, because that seems to get me in trouble with every character I start with those capabilities. I think I am going to learn the game before I go back to the magic use.

Psiberzerker, is there something that I might be missing in my plans?

After reading the forum some more, I think I have figured out how to get through one time, before I get fancy with magic & things. I started a Female Nord for the purpose of hack & slash, with some archery. I am only focusing on Health for levels, and putting points in Archery, Block, 1H, Smithing & LA. If I cannot find it, I will beat it out of someone, or make it. I am trying not to use any magic, because that seems to get me in trouble with every character I start with those capabilities. I think I am going to learn the game before I go back to the magic use.

Psiberzerker, is there something that I might be missing in my plans?
Nope, looks like a good plan. Just kill lots of deer for Leather, and if you want to get a high Smithing without mining, and smelting, Improve Foresworn Armor. It's not a lot of XP per piece, but each memeber has 3-4 pieces, and there's hundreds of them all over the Reach. With Resting Bonuses, and the Warrior Stone, you can get up to Advanced Armors that way. Also, Foresworn Bows are the most powerful bows that use the Steel Smithing perk.ingots to improve.

The only thing I'd add is maybe a little Sneak. Not to the point of becoming an Assassin, but it's really helpful to scout out the situation before starting the fight, which you can engage on your terms. At least until you've played through so many times you already know where everyone spawns. Light Armor is a Thief skill, so will probably level the slowest. Archery is also governed by the Thief Guardian Stone for the purpose of level acceleration, but does enough damage to level quickly, and at a distance so you're in less danger.

Joker

Nope, looks like a good plan. Just kill lots of deer for Leather, and if you want to get a high Smithing without mining, and smelting, Improve Foresworn Armor. It's not a lot of XP per piece, but each memeber has 3-4 pieces, and there's hundreds of them all over the Reach. With Resting Bonuses, and the Warrior Stone, you can get up to Advanced Armors that way. Also, Foresworn Bows are the most powerful bows that use the Steel Smithing perk.ingots to improve.

The only thing I'd add is maybe a little Sneak. Not to the point of becoming an Assassin, but it's really helpful to scout out the situation before starting the fight, which you can engage on your terms. At least until you've played through so many times you already know where everyone spawns. Light Armor is a Thief skill, so will probably level the slowest. Archery is also governed by the Thief Guardian Stone for the purpose of level acceleration, but does enough damage to level quickly, and at a distance so you're in less danger.

Thanks. I am sneaking around now, in the beginning like you posted earlier. My archery is higher than before, thanks to Faedal and the watchtower before Bleak Falls Barrow...along with BFB. It is somewhere in the 30's already. I think LA will be the hardest to raise, because I don't want it to improve too much by getting hit...I guess I could go back & change stones, might have to for a while.....Interesting about the Forsworn Bow, because I picked up an Orcish bow that I thought was better...guess I didn't think about the smithing....Thanks once again for your insight and sharing of your knowledge. Your guidance is making this game easier to understand.

Thanks. I am sneaking around now, in the beginning like you posted earlier. My archery is higher than before, thanks to Faedal and the watchtower before Bleak Falls Barrow...along with BFB. It is somewhere in the 30's already. I think LA will be the hardest to raise, because I don't want it to improve too much by getting hit...I guess I could go back & change stones, might have to for a while.....Interesting about the Forsworn Bow, because I picked up an Orcish bow that I thought was better...guess I didn't think about the smithing....Thanks once again for your insight and sharing of your knowledge. Your guidance is making this game easier to understand.
Foresworn weapons are Dwarven Tier for damage. Strangely, Dwarven Wapons do more damage than Orkish, though Orcish Armor protects better. (I would have thought it was the other way around.) The thing is, you have to smelt down Dwemer stuff to work on their weapons, which are barely worth it, or Orchalcum for Orcish Armor, not to mention the Perks. Foresworn Weapons can't be crafted, but can be Improved with cheap, common Steel, which makes them a better choice to start. Once you get up to Elven smithing, their weapons do more than Dwarven, or Orkish, so at low levels, the Light end of the anvil actually works better. It's only in the end game where the weapons are superior, but that doesn't count Unique sets you generally need Arcane Blacksmith to temper.

I switch back, and forth between stones during the initial training, but since you're using Faendal, I'd travel with the Warrior until you get something better (Like the Lord, Lady, or Atronach stones.) to train up the most important skills. You'll have to do some catching up with 1H, and Block anyway. You can always Fast Travel back to the Guardian Stones (The first 3) whenever you're about to do another bit of Training, especially Crafting. As for Light Armor, keep in mind that Block reduces damage first, then the Armor, so holding the shield up actually robs it of XP.

Nighthiker77

Since Faendal can only train you to 50, you can maximize his utility by using a different skill to level and getting more training in. You'll end up at 50 either way, but you'll have a higher 2nd skill by training up to 50 using the other skill. You could tank for him and level your 1H, block, and light armor, then train 5 times each time you level up.

Archery levels pretty fast though and isn't worth the money if you aren't taking it back, unless you are just racing for a high level perk like quick draw.

Joker

Since Faendal can only train you to 50, you can maximize his utility by using a different skill to level and getting more training in. You'll end up at 50 either way, but you'll have a higher 2nd skill by training up to 50 using the other skill. You could tank for him and level your 1H, block, and light armor, then train 5 times each time you level up.

Archery levels pretty fast though and isn't worth the money if you aren't taking it back, unless you are just racing for a high level perk like quick draw.

So, he would be the archer, and I would be the attacker he was protecting? Is that a command, or does that happen naturally?

Oh, I am taking the money back, trust me.

Nighthiker77

Most of the archers will still run in, but Faendal, Janessa, and Annekke cragjumper will hang back and keep shooting as long as you keep people off of them. He will also equip any light armor you give him since his default is peasant clothes.

He will try to kill you though if you commit a crime so I usually ditch him early, but with good gear so he can help keep dragons from killing Riverwood NPCs.

So, he would be the archer, and I would be the attacker he was protecting? Is that a command, or does that happen naturally?
As an Archer, he will generally hang back, and shoot by default, with the possibility to switch for a Melee option if he has one. If you want to force him, just take away his weapon, and/or shield. he doesn't dual wield, so a light shield is about the best he can do. It also helps him to have the reach of a sword, just give him your hand-me-downs, or an Improved Foresword. When you feel ready, you can upgrade to Jenassa, but I prefer to save her until he's used up, at least. She's so much better the higher the level you are when you meet her, so I stay out of the Drunken Huntsman until at least level 25. Any lower than that, and she doesn't reach her your potential, and can rob you of Experience if you're still training. Another good option is Eric "the Slayer" in Rorikstead, because he'll tank for you, but strikes too slow to overshadow you. (While you're going with the Bow.) Jenassa comes out the best, because while she can't tank, she can dual wield to defend herself when you get rushed, and you can back her up with shield bashes for Piling tactics. Basically, either of you can take the Point/support, or both of either without getting completely demolished. Also, Jenassa's maximum level is 50, which means she can make one of the best endgame Followers.