Immortal Words - Saurano Direnni

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

The Whiterun plains may be pleasant, but they are, in a word, plains - there is hardly anywhere to hide.

So true. It was such a close call I remember thinking of what someone said on here not to let this one die. I was pretty sure I had failed in that for a moment there.

BIGwooly

Morndas Noon / City of Whiterun

It's time for some payback. Those bandit scum nearly ended my life last night and I don't easily forget something like that. I have just over five hundred gold in my pocket and I'm sure I can find someone in this city to take it and take my side.

This morning I left the city and followed the ridge along the city wall. I followed it all the way to wear it overlooks the camp I found last night, and then I stepped to the edge and looked down.

Although I didn't see the bandits, I heard them. And they heard me. I caught the sound of a spell being cast too, followed by some shouts from the men.

So I'll head back this afternoon, with help. And we'll target them from above. Whoever I hire will need to have a bow and be able to use it. And hopefully we'll manage to take one or two of them down before they can make it up the ridge to us.

Let's get some blood on this axe.

LordofMethuselah

Vampiric Illusionary Necromage of Destruction
I get the feeling we are gunna be listening to the words of a bandit soon... Just a feeling.

BIGwooly

I get the feeling we are gunna be listening to the words of a bandit soon... Just a feeling.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about that too, lol. I'm hoping to get some time to play tonight, so we'll see.

BIGwooly

Morndas Evening / City of Whiterun

Just like I planned it.

I found a woman in Whiterun who was willing to take my gold and take my side. We went out and hiked up the hill that overlooks the camp I found. And as we moved into position they heard us. Two men and two women, mean to the bone and ready to slit our throats and crush our skulls.

But my new employee was sharp with her bow. She took one of them down right there in the camp. The other three circled around to catch our flank, but we were ready. Between arrows and fire two more fell, both hearty brutes with large warhammers.

All that remained was the savage with the magic in his hand. But he was in a bad spot now. I had angled myself so that he was caught between my fire and my comrade's bow. He was trapped, and while he tried to figure out how to regain the advantage a handful of arrows ended his predicament.

With all four dead and the sun still up, I decided to collect what we could and to sell it off tonight. It wasn't much that we could carry, but gold is gold, and even a little bit more is always better.

The light is changing now. Night is but a few hours from now, but I'm headed back out with my hired hand to make the walled camp from the day before. If I'm right, there should be a sword there that could fetch me a decent share of gold as well, and with the four bandits dead the camp should be free for us to search.

My stomach isn't happy, but dinner will have to wait.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I actually remember coming across this little camp on my way to H***** S***** Camp. On a dead-is-dead character. That was level 2.

BIGwooly

Tirdas Morning / City of Whiterun

Had to wake up early the morning. That makes me sour, as my mother used to say. I hate getting out of bed at dawn.

But I don't have much choice today. Last night we snuck over to the fortified camp as the light was dying, and discovered there were still bandits in the camp. Four of them in fact. The bandits we had killed earlier were not the bandits I thought they were. I contained my frustration and called off the trek. After briefly considering an attack I realized I wasn't thinking straight. It was late, and I was irritated that the camp wasn't empty.

The smart thing to do would be to come back in the morning, and hopefully catch them while they were still sleepy. And this would give us some time tonight to plan out the attack have options for if things went badly. I also decided it would be best to attack with light, and not in the dark. My friend is skilled with her bow, and I want to make use of that. Blinding her with the night would be a bad plan.

So we're off in a few minutes. Just having a quick bite to eat while we go over the plan again. It's very similar to the yesterday's plan of attack. And why not, it worked, and we're both familiar with the strategy together. So we'll use the high rocks over the camp to launch our assault with arrows and hopefully flame, if I can reach them. And then we'll handle their flanking attacks together.

My friend seems quite a bit more awake than me. Strange, considering I purchased her a full bottle of ale last night as a thank you for her performance. Maybe that's my problem. I need to drink ale so I can wake up earlier.

When I clicked on the alert, I said in my head "She better not have died..". I might just kill my family if this one dies.

BIGwooly

Tirdas Noon / Fortified Camp

Once again the plan worked to perfection. My companion struck first blood with an arrow from a ridge high above the camp. The bandits poured out to come for us, while one stayed behind to keep us busy with arrows.

The magicka-inclined savage reached us first, but the combined efforts of arrow and fire put him down quickly. The other two met the similar fates. All that was left was the bowman inside the camp, and he too fell quickly to my flame attack. I'm almost disappointed I didn't bloody my axe.

I have a new axe now, though. One these brigands had a nice steel axe with a fine edge. It's a sight bit heavier than my sturdy iron cutter, but I think it's worth the switch. It feels good in my hand.

We just finished searching the camp to make sure it was clear. We've found two things. An underground entrance, which is likely home to more of these outlaws, if not worse. And an old chest under a lookout tower. Trouble is, the chest is trapped. I can see the trip cord. I just can't see the trap itself. We need to disarm it, because the sword I'm looking for may be inside, but I need to know how the trap works first. Otherwise we're just as likely to get ourselves killed.

And in about an hour's time my hired hand will be free to go, unless I come up with another five hundred septims for her. And that's about three hundred more than I currently have.

BIGwooly

Tirdas Afternoon / Fortified Camp

I was sure that the sword would be in the chest. Why go to the work to trap a chest if it doesn't contain something of great value? Only a dumb brute would try that, and a dumb brute probably would kill himself trying to rig the trap.

So I tried to get my companion to open the chest. She gave it a good look but decided it wasn't possible. The trap was too well hidden to be sure of it's effect. So we stood there for close to an hour, trying to think of a solution. And then I had it. Fire.

The trap was rigged with a piece of twine, and setting it on fire should set off the trap. And because I can create a spout of flame a dozen paces in length, I should be safe from the the dangers of the trap. And sure enough, it worked. The twine caught fire, snapped, and a spiked metal ball swung down from above. It would have crushed my head for sure. I can't believe we missed it up there.

Inside .. disappointment. There was some gold, and a potion, but no sword. And now it's time for my companion to go. So we're headed back to Whiterun together, where I'll sell a set of studded armor we're hauling back and then get a room and something to eat. And decide what to do next.

BIGwooly

Middas Evening / City of Whiterun

Nothing like being chased with large weapons. I was on my way to the fortified camp this morning when a shirtless barbarian with a giant two-handed sword came rushing across the plains toward me. I would have considered it a fair fight except this man was obviously deranged. You can't predict deranged, and that makes deranged dangerous.

So I ran, but somehow this massive man was able to keep pace. I quickly realized I wasn't outrunning this fight. While running I had already been surveying the land for anything I could use to facilitate an escape. But the plains around Whiterun are pretty wide open. There isn't much terrain to take advantage of.

But I had spotted a boulder. It was about the size of a cart stood on it's end. Not a large rock, but large enough.

I reached the rock and turned around to face my pursuer. I covered him in flame and as he reached me I let him taste my axe. In turn he let me feel his sword, and it didn't feel good at all. And I put my plan in action.

As he raised his sword to strike again, I stepped around the rock and took away his angle. I then used the rock as a shield and kept it between me and the barbarian. This frustrated him greatly, as did my periodic streams of fire. With quick feet and careful attention I managed to defeat the man without being struck a second time.

Then it was on to the camp, and down into the mine. If the sword wasn't outside, it was probably inside. And I would probably find more bandits as well. And I did.

I snuck inside the cave and immediately realized I would do well to pick up a torch the next time I was in town. It was quite dark inside and I knew there would be traps. If this group could trap the chest outside they would have some inside as well.

There was a man near the entrance. No doubt a sentry. I walked forward carefully, keeping my eyes tuned for traps. And I found one. A pressure plate on the ground, with no obvious consequence. No matter, I didn't plan to find out. And about the time I spotted this trap and was making my way around it the sentry heard my footsteps.

He came running with a sword drawn and a shield at the ready. I conjured flame in my hand and set him on fire. He screamed from the pain and struck me with the sword. I bore the brunt of it on my chestplate, and struck back with my axe. He blocked it with his shield and I struck again, but again he deflected the blow. So I switched tactics and lit him ablaze again. With the distraction of the fire I managed to get past his shield with two blows, and then he was dead.

I skirted around the trap and made my way carefully down the passageways. Soon enough I found myself on a platform above a room with a dead mammoth and a fairly large bandit. The bandit was talking to himself and I considered if my flame could reach him. But I never got the chance. Another bandit was in the room and I hadn't seen her. But she spotted me and sounded the alarm.

I cast fire upon her and got lucky. She was standing in oil, and the whole room caught fire for a few moments, engulfing her and her life. But the big brute who had been talking to himself was on his way to end me, a very large axe in his hands. Much larger than mine.

I sprinted from the room and up through the passages, and then found a dark spot and crouched down. I could hear the bandit's steps and his voice echoing in the mine. Getting closer and closer. But he had lost me, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

After a bit I returned to the room with a plan. After making sure he was the last bandit around, I sent a column of fire into the room to get his attention. As he ran across the room below me I doused him in flame, then retreated back up the passages again.

This time I wasn't so lucky, and my plan didn't work out. He spotted me hiding in the shadows, and we were in a fight for our lives.

It was a bit of a blur, and I don't even remember if it was one blow or two, but I think it was just one ... and I remember feeling faint and ready to die. Luckily I had a health potion ready and drank it down quickly while retreating away from his axe. He came after me and I filled the passage with fire and brought pain to his face.

Somehow I managed to dodge his next blow and got two strikes of my own in. I then retreated again and drank another health potion while he pursued me. More flame from my fingers and the man stumbled and fell to his knee. I didn't waste a moment and finished him with my axe.

After gathering myself from a fairly challenging fight, I searched the room. I found a number of potions and books, as well as a large chest. I was pretty sure I knew what would be inside. And I was right. The sword.

Unfortunately it's not a very impressive piece. I won't be able to get much from it if I sell it. So I suppose I'll give it back to the owner and hope he offers a decent compensation. It's a heavy sword, though, so I couldn't bring it back with me tonight. Instead I brought the more valuable potions and sold them at the local alchemy shop. Not a bad profit for a day's work.

bulbaquil

Glad it's still the Redguard woman. She's intriguing.

The disadvantage of traps is that your opponents... won't necessarily follow the "if a trap injures you then you are dead" rule.

BIGwooly

Turdas Afternoon / City of Whiterun

Managed to get the sword back to town today. It's heavy, but I left most of my potions behind and was just able to carry it back. Trouble was I couldn't find the man who it belonged to. I knew what he looked like. Even found his house. But he wasn't there, and wasn't anywhere in town. Not in the courtyard, not in the inn, not on the streets.

But my perseverance paid off. After a few hours of wandering around looking for him, I ran across him on the street. His eyes lit up when he saw the sword, and it turns out he knows a good deal about using weapons. His reward for my effort was to teach me a bit about fighting.

Now I know plenty about fighting. I've been fighting since I was able to walk. Plenty of boys and men had learned the hard way that I'm not one to push around or test your skills against. But it's good to be open-minded as well, and because of that I learned a few new techniques today. In fact, the lessons were so good that I took the eight hundred septims I had accumulated and gave most of them right back so I could learn more.

Now I'm back to having a light coinpurse. Guess I'm going to be breaking my back today to haul some more things out of that mine.

BIGwooly

Turdas Evening / City of Whiterun

I'm in a bit of a bind. The large bandit in the mines was wearing a nice set of banded iron armor. It looked a lot like my old set, in fact. But just like my old set it was heavy as a dwarven machine. There was no way I could carry it back, and yet I knew it was worth some good coin.

So I took a bit of a risk. I took my own iron armor off and left it in the mine so I could carry the bandit's set back to town. Which I did. And I sold it for a nice bit of change.

Now I had also left my steel gauntlets behind, because I just couldn't carry everything. So I had to walk back to the mine wearing just my old nordic boots and my clothes. I may as well have been naked. That's how I felt.

Everything was fine up until I approached the gate to the fortified camp. As I walked up I saw two mages coming down the hillside at me, and they weren't the least bit happy. I wasn't happy either. I was in no condition for an outmatched fight.

So I had to flee back to Whiterun, which means I had to leave my armor behind in the mine. Now I'm stuck here in the city while the sky darkens.

What did my mother always say?

Something like ... love for the coin brings the fool's end. I always thought she was just rambling.

BIGwooly

Fredas Afternoon / City of Whiterun

Feels good to have my armor back on. Funny how I can hate the weight of it at times, and how it chafes my shoulders and causes my back to ache. But yet without it I miss that chafing and aching.

Getting it back was easier than I expected. I simply returned back to the camp this morning and approached it carefully. I didn't see the mages anywhere, so I made my way inside and retrieved my armor. Easy enough.

I just walked all the way back to Whiterun, and just realized I'm going back to the camp again. There's a woman in Whiterun I spoke with the other day. She said something about buying the inn. I don't know. I wasn't really paying attention at the time. I do remember she needed a mammoth's tusk so a khajiit could teach her something. I remember laughing when she said that. Has she seen a mammoth? They aren't exactly small or gentle. You can't just walk up to one and take it's tusk.

But I do remember seeing a tusk in the mine. They had a dead mammoth in there, I believe I saw a pile of tusks actually. They are heavy, so I might have to risk leaving some things behind again.

My mother will be shaking her head in her tomb if I leave my armor again.

BIGwooly

Loredas Morning / City of Whiterun

I did it again. Left my armor in the mine. I had to. I found five mammoth tusks and it was the only way to get them all out. Those things are worth fifty septims apiece. Of course, I gave one to the lady in the market. She made good on her word and gave me some secrets on dealing with merchants. Truth be told I'd rather have had the fifty coins, though.

Oh well. I'm headed out to the mine to retrieve my armor. I saw a few hunters out there yesterday chasing down an elk. They didn't seem to care about me, and I'm fine with that.

With any luck I'll be back by noon with my shoulders chafing and my back aching.

bulbaquil

Heh, yeah. I downloaded a "realistic carry weight" mod that reduces your initial carry weight based on what race you are, and tend to have that problem with dragon bones/scales a lot.