Spoiler Your Views on Skyrim's Political Climate

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Olafr

The Rebel!
If they don't sign the White-Gold Concordat, the war might still be on, or the Dominion would have won...

Btw TES Wiki says "The only real hope for the people of the once peaceful land lies in the Empire and Hammerfell raising once forth to do battle against the High Elves. That, and perhaps the Dragonborn." Hint, maybe?
Skyrim doesn't need the Empire to protect it. And Skyrim doesn't want the Empire to protect it.

Dvalin

I've got to say that I'm with the Imperials. I personally am in favor of their acceptance and tolerance of all races, seeing as I am a dark elf, and, I'm already a legate of the army so I couldn't join the stormcloaks if I wanted.
How would your player character feel if the Empire specifically outlawed the worship of Azura? I think dark elves would be in the same seat as the Nords. I'd imagine things would get very racial, very quickly for any of the TES races, should the situation target their diety. Just playing devils advocate with a friendly arguement.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
I compare the imperials to the british imperialsit reign of multiple countries.... but they were controlling themselves and hadnt lost a war(yet) to be controlled

Dvalin

I compare the imperials to the british imperialsit reign of multiple countries.... but they were controlling themselves and hadnt lost a war(yet) to be controlled
In thier current situation, I compare them to Vichy France. (Nazi) Thalmor rolled in, took over the Imperial City. Left the rest of Tamriel (Europe) to fix the situation.

I'm aware that this is a grossly oversimplified view but I think it gets the point across.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
In thier current situation, I compare them to Vichy France. (Nazi) Thalmor rolled in, took over the Imperial City. Left the rest of Tamriel (Europe) to fix the situation.

I'm aware that this is a grossly oversimplified view but I think it gets the point across.

Hmm yea i see how that would work..

Dvalin

I want to play both sides, but I have such a hard time playing the Imperial side simply because they're Thalmor puppets. I work for the Empire, the Empire works for the Thalmor,...I work for the Thalmor. Can't handle it :sadface: I'll put up with the racists. Men and Mer have the choice to leave Skyrim, but if the Empire wins, there'll be no escaping the Dominion.

Bravo Bethesda. You took 2 of the most powerful subjects, race and faith and pitted them against each other to toy with our minds, and created a game that actually makes us think. I don't believe I'm talking fantasy politics...

Dvalin

but it seems that the elves are going to be kicked out of skyrim if the nords win..
Why cant everyone get along? lol
Because then we would have a clear cut choice in the game. There would be 'good guys' and 'bad guys' star warsish story, and no real emotion or drama. Not to mention there would be no one interested in talking about it on a forum ;)

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Because then we would have a clear cut choice in the game. There would be 'good guys' and 'bad guys' star warsish story, and no real emotion or drama. Not to mention there would be no one interested in talking about it on a forum ;)
Lol makes sense. If i lived in skyrim during this time i probly would be a stormcloak...
And with my irish background im probly a nord... even though id rather be a breton.
But i dont like racism and when i heard it in ulfrics city it made me reconsider if this was the right thing or not... but as soon as i went to markarth and talked to that thalmer my mind was made up lol.

Lyt

I want to play both sides, but I have such a hard time playing the Imperial side simply because they're Thalmor puppets. I work for the Empire, the Empire works for the Thalmor,...I work for the Thalmor. Can't handle it :sadface:I'll put up with the racists. Men and Mer have the choice to leave Skyrim, but if the Empire wins, there'll be no escaping the Dominion.

Heheh, the funny thing is, when I infiltrated the Thalmor Embassy, I sumbled upon a dossier of Ulfric Stormcloak.

Status: Asset (uncooperative), Dormant, Emissary Level Approval
Description: Jarl of Windhelm, leader of the Stormcloak rebellion, Imperial Legion veteran
Background:
Ulfric first came to our attention during the First Wars against the Empire, when he was taken as a prisoner of war during the campaign for the White Gold Tower. Under interrogation, we learned of his potential value (son of the Jarl of Windhelm) and he was assigned as an asset to the interrogator, who is now First Emissary Elenwen. He was made to believe information obtained during his interrogation was crucial in the capture of the Imperial City(the city had in fact fallen before he had broken), and then allowed to escape. After the war, contact was established and he has proven his worth as an asset. The so-called Markarth Incident was particularly valuable form the point of view of our strategic goals in Skyrim, although it resulted in Ulfric becoming generally uncooperative to direct contact.
Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the change of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim. (NOTE: The coincidental intervention of the dragon at Helgen is still under scrutiny. The obvious conclusion is that whoever is behind the dragons also has an interest in the continuation of the war, but we should not assume therefore that their goals align with our own.) A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed.

I really don't think it matters which side you're on, someone else is pulling the strings anyways. I sense a conspiracy.

rockstar14

I want to play both sides, but I have such a hard time playing the Imperial side simply because they're Thalmor puppets. I work for the Empire, the Empire works for the Thalmor,...I work for the Thalmor. Can't handle it :sadface:I'll put up with the racists. Men and Mer have the choice to leave Skyrim, but if the Empire wins, there'll be no escaping the Dominion.

Bravo Bethesda. You took 2 of the most powerful subjects, race and faith and pitted them against each other to toy with our minds, and created a game that actually makes us think. I don't believe I'm talking fantasy politics...
While the empire may work for the Thalmor, they certainly don't like it. I don't think I've encountered any character who isn't a thalmor who actually likes them. I think that if the Thalmor piss enough people off, there would be popular resistance against them, and magic is nice and all, but eventually they would just be outnumbered.

Dvalin

Lol makes sense. If i lived in skyrim during this time i probly would be a stormcloak...
And with my irish background im probly a nord... even though id rather be a breton.
But i dont like racism and when i heard it in ulfrics city it made me reconsider if this was the right thing or not... but as soon as i went to markarth and talked to that thalmer my mind was made up lol.
It really is a question of "Which is the lesser of two evils?" The Thalmor are clearly awful for the Empire. The stormcloaks are racist, but I think a lot of this racism has been brought on by the conflict. The Nords have never been the most accepting people, but the current engagement certainly hasn't done anything to help the situation. On the elves being kicked out of Skyrim, I think a lot of Nords feel that way, but don't think its realistic to pull off. I think they'd have the same problem the Thalmor are having kicking Talos out of Tamriel.

Dvalin

Heheh, the funny thing is, when I infiltrated the Thalmor Embassy, I sumbled upon a dossier of Ulfric Stormcloak.

Status: Asset (uncooperative), Dormant, Emissary Level Approval
Description: Jarl of Windhelm, leader of the Stormcloak rebellion, Imperial Legion veteran
Background:
Ulfric first came to our attention during the First Wars against the Empire, when he was taken as a prisoner of war during the campaign for the White Gold Tower. Under interrogation, we learned of his potential value (son of the Jarl of Windhelm) and he was assigned as an asset to the interrogator, who is now First Emissary Elenwen. He was made to believe information obtained during his interrogation was crucial in the capture of the Imperial City(the city had in fact fallen before he had broken), and then allowed to escape. After the war, contact was established and he has proven his worth as an asset. The so-called Markarth Incident was particularly valuable form the point of view of our strategic goals in Skyrim, although it resulted in Ulfric becoming generally uncooperative to direct contact.
Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the change of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim. (NOTE: The coincidental intervention of the dragon at Helgen is still under scrutiny. The obvious conclusion is that whoever is behind the dragons also has an interest in the continuation of the war, but we should not assume therefore that their goals align with our own.) A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed.

I really don't think it matters which side you're on, someone else is pulling the strings anyways. I sense a conspiracy.
Ulfric being an 'asset' does not mean he is in league with the Thalmor. That just means they value him playing his part to weaken the Empire.

Dvalin

While the empire may work for the Thalmor, they certainly don't like it. I don't think I've encountered any character who isn't a thalmor who actually likes them. I think that if the Thalmor piss enough people off, there would be popular resistance against them, and magic is nice and all, but eventually they would just be outnumbered.
Going along with and not liking it still helps them accomplish their goals. Simply outnumbering them hasn't worked as the Empire has already fought a full scale war with them and lost. The treaty has been signed. Thats all she wrote for the Empire in its current state. The stormcloaks are the popular resistance, along with Hammerfell and provinces who are still fighting.

rockstar14

I would argue that the stormcloaks aren't as popular as you think. The empire still has a powerful presence in the area around Solitude, and the fact that Whiterun's jarl sides with them shows that the Stormcloaks aren't totally popular. I think part of the reason the Empire lost was because they were caught totally off guard. Also, remember, Hammerfell isn't fighting the Thalmor now, they are at an awkward pause in the conflict. I think that if the stormcloaks took control of Skyrim, then a Breton-Redguard-Nord alliance would develop, and eventually the empire would get involved.

Dvalin

I would argue that the stormcloaks aren't as popular as you think. The empire still has a powerful presence in the area around Solitude, and the fact that Whiterun's jarl sides with them shows that the Stormcloaks aren't totally popular. I think part of the reason the Empire lost was because they were caught totally off guard. Also, remember, Hammerfell isn't fighting the Thalmor now, they are at an awkward pause in the conflict. I think that if the stormcloaks took control of Skyrim, then a Breton-Redguard-Nord alliance would develop, and eventually the empire would get involved.
The Breton-Redguard-Nord alliance would be opposed to who exactly? Skyrim's independence or the Thalmor Control? Its hard to fight on more than one front. Deal with the Thalmor, and Skyrim wouldn't have a need to be independent.

rockstar14

The Breton-Redguard-Nord alliance would be opposed to who exactly? Skyrim's independence or the Thalmor Control? Its hard to fight on more than one front. Deal with the Thalmor, and Skyrim wouldn't have a need to be independent.
The Thalmor. If the Nords win, that's essentially a wall blocking the Imperials off from High Rock. Political pressure would cause the Bretons to side with the Nords and Redguards. If this alliance struck at the Thalmor, I could see them winning. If Skyrim does secede, then the Thalmor would probably attack the empire, or they would send troops to Skyrim. Either of these options leaves them open to attack from the redguard and bretons. Remember, Hammerfell was able to beat off the Thalmor once, and that was without any imperial support at all. If they aligned with Skyrim, I could see the Thalmor facing a serious threat.

Dvalin

The Thalmor. If the Nords win, that's essentially a wall blocking the Imperials off from High Rock. Political pressure would cause the Bretons to side with the Nords and Redguards. If this alliance struck at the Thalmor, I could see them winning. If Skyrim does secede, then the Thalmor would probably attack the empire, or they would send troops to Skyrim. Either of these options leaves them open to attack from the redguard and bretons. Remember, Hammerfell was able to beat off the Thalmor once, and that was without any imperial support at all. If they aligned with Skyrim, I could see the Thalmor facing a serious threat.
I think you and I are arguing the same point. I am for a Skyrim victory, not because Nords are right but because the Thalmor are worse. I wasn't trying to argue the populartiy of the Stormcloaks (I know they aren't popular, and for good reason) I am arguing that their victory is the best bet for the good of Tamriel.

rockstar14

Agreed. The Thalmor need to be stopped, it's just a matter of who is the best force of stopping them. I also find it very funny that a video game can cause this huge debate.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts