Your thoughts on the invincible children

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you prefer the child NPCs to be invulnerable?

• Total voters

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
But it shouldn’t be fear of blame that keeps them from including it. Even greed seems to be a preferable motivation in this case.

Jeruhmi

Well if they're to get media coverage for making a messed up game that has led to real life deaths relating from it, then they will most likely not be allowed to make another game under the same name. Or it will be stripped of content.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Since when are there organizations in the United States that could have them do such things? Censor their game? Ban them from creating another one? That’s news to me.

Jeruhmi

Not in the United States, I live in Australia. As a result of things like that, I am playing the censored version of Left 4 Dead 2. That just means no gore, bodies, and all the cool stuff. It sucks.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Ah, damn, that sucks. But yeah, mentioning Australia was enough for me to get the picture. I’ve read quite a bit about the troubles that gamers and other people (including Death Metal fans) had over there. As someone who lives in Germany I share your pain, bro ;_; In that regard our governments definitely overstep their responsibilities.

Jeruhmi

Ugh... Now that I think about it, if Australia's ratings are too critical on Skyrim it may have already been censored a lot. That blows. If that happens, well this time I will be seeking a patch to fix it.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Well I see where they're coming from. It's the sort of thing game developers want to stray away from their games. They don't want to be the blame for the next school massacre, right?
oh GOD no.

kCin

Well, censoring video games to any extent i think is rediculous, and short sited by any government. I live in Australia as well and I know that as with any country, games sold here are required to have information as to the minimum age/target audience of the game. If younger people are playing games that might expose them to blood and gore then that is the responsibility of the parent, not the game developer, government, retailer or otherwise...

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Well said. And yet most of the proponents are concerned parents (especially mothers). Do they even think their complaints through?

Jeruhmi

Well I agree and disagree. In the last generation or so it has been seen many parents have been more negligent towards monitoring their children. Even though you think video game gore is fine, it actually does affect the mental state being exposed to so much gore and decapitation.

kCin

Fair point, but can you then justify the showing of crime dramas on primetime television, and boxing on sports channels and the like? The world is full of sex, violence, drugs and many other 'evils' that children should probably not be exposed to, but I don't see governments monitering and censoring those things in television and movies, so why should gaming have to suffer for it? Considering also the fact that the average age of a gamer is >23 years old, I think that children should not be playing video games like this anyway (aside from the fact that they do the game no justice by being unable to appreciate it fully :D). That said, sole responsibility of what children are exposed to falls to their parents, and no-one other than their parents, but I completely understand the position of anyone who considers otherwise.

Jeruhmi

The government/critics/reviewers choosing to censor things in the game is more or less protecting us from harm. It's just trying to keep our minds clean and not encourage real life killings.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Are there any studies that conclusively show that it “encourages real life killings”? Gut feelings aren’t really a good basis for making laws.

Also, the point about their hypocrisy still remains :\

Jeruhmi

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
The first link seems to consist only of studies regarding the level of aggressiveness while or right after playing video games and the second link cites a “study” (if you can even call it that) that asked teenagers whether they believe that video games have a greater impact than movies. What I was looking for when I asked that question was more something along the lines of “are people who play violent video games more likely to commit murders / violent crimes” and I didn’t see anything like that there :x

Tri-edge

We all agree no matter how real a game may be it will still be a game? they added children in the game to have a sence on realism but in the end its still a game. Things will be limited to keep the game in a real but unreal enviorment such as not killing children. some people may not like that thorght of that coz it may effect how a person want to play that game but all game have boundries We need to remember it is just a game and their is a diffrence in things form games then in real life.

Jeruhmi

We all agree no matter how real a game may be it will still be a game? they added children in the game to have a sence on realism but in the end its still a game. Things will be limited to keep the game in a real but unreal enviorment such as not killing children. some people may not like that thorght of that coz it may effect how a person want to play that game but all game have boundries We need to remember it is just a game and their is a diffrence in things form games then in real life.
Well to have a sense of realism, as you say, the game would need to basically have you jailed within a day of committing a crime.
I don't think making it possible to kill children is giving it realism? Just my thoughts.

Tusck

IMo, it's restrictions like this to hamper games from offering a true evil roleplaying experience. When there are games out there like GTA, why would a game company like Bethesda care now about killing kids, especially when they could put consequences on it. For instance, if you kill a kid in a town, that town is now KOS to you from good. That should be enough to make this a true moral choice, and show kids that it;s not good to kill.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
“[...] and show kids that [...]”? Dude, this game isn’t intended for children.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts