Which skill do you use ZERO perks in that you use frequently?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Do you use any skills frequently that you invest absolutely no perks in? If so, which one? For me, I always saw lockpicking as a complete waste of perks. It is so easy, and you don't really need any enchanted items for it either, once you get the hang of it. Even for the master locks, sure you waste a few lockpicks but that's it. Even on a skill of 25 I got them all open. I mention this because I was at my friend's house and he had almost the whole tree filled. Yet he uses light armor and had zero perks invested in it... I thought that was odd...

So which skills do you invest zero perks in because you think its pointless? AND if you could pick one to three perks that you would say are the biggest waste from any tree, which ones would you pick?

Kaelbu

I use alchemy and lockpicking frequently, but never get perks for them. I may be missing out on something, but I'd never know it.

Dextrophoria

I'm too busy constantly making my Block legendary; finding the time to invest any perks into it's skill tree is almost pointless, respectively.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
- Lockpicking (obvious reasons)

- Block (its one of the last skills at I perk-up)

- Light Armour (with the Alch/Smith/Ench loop, i reach the armour cap very easily without wasting perks)

- One handed (Same as LA, except I do like decaptation toward the end game)

AND if you could pick one to three perks that you would say are the biggest waste from any tree, which ones would you pick?

Um probably the 2nd level slow time perk in the Archery tree, as it s glitched for me and the 1st level is efficient...

Lucid

I agree on the lockpicking, I don't think I've ever used a perk there. I almost never use Illusion perks, and I can't remember using any Alteration perks.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Lockpicking (you'll find it the most popular I believe) and Speech. I've never put a perk in either one. As I tend to play Thief/Assassin/Night Blade types of characters, and with my old "Thief" (the PC game) lockpicking practice/experiences behind me, I find it to be the most useless. I can pick any lock in-game without any issues at all (I also use the PC version and the mod "LockPick Graduation" which puts little hash marks around the circumference of the lock so as to be able to gauge your position on a lock if you break a pick).

Wildroses

Light and heavy armour for me. I've never put perks in either armour skills after I looked at them and saw some depend on having a matching set of items. My reaction when I realised it would mean the end of wearing enchanted items and higher level equipment you are just ready for and just found was: "Forget it."

Then we have sneak, enchanting and lockpicking, the ones I normally don't use but did create exactly one character for. Sneak was because everybody kept raving about how much fun it was assassinating people with sneak perks, so I decided to check it out purely for that. Enchanting perks I used for an early character, but found the game got so overpowered and boring so quickly I vowed never to do so again. And I did create a lockpicking character purely because I thought it was a widely ignored tree and was curious to see what it would be like.

Manmangler

Alchemy is used to make potions and legendary yo boost levelling
Lockpicking at first, in certain level, I target to wax key.
Usually magic, I dont use much magic.
Block, I use dual wielding or two handed. I still use it as levelling. Seek mud crab, raise shield and wait several minutes.
Speech, I usually invest some perks at skill 80.

In legendary I need perks those I use. Light armour/One handed or heavyarmor/twohanded combo, archery. If I dont put perks those, I'm just annyoing insect that has to hit bazzillion times to kill enemy.

Twiffle

lockpicking like everyone else, however i dont use any in either of the armor trees either, little bit of smithing and good old alchemy for me, its difficult for me to actually play without useing alchemy now since i have got used to it and realise how powerful the potions can be , and no i dont use the loop either.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Lockpicking, obviously. I almost never put anything into alchemy even though I'm always making crappy potions.

Restoration is the only thing I can think of. As a warrior, I'll use your basic healing spell often enough, but I never take it much further than that.

AS88

Staff member
Lockpicking, definitely.

I think I've perked everything else one time or another with all the different builds I've used.

Chadonraz

Lockpicking, Enchanting and Sneak.

I used to put perks in Sneak, but I've never played a thief or an assassin character, so I've stopped perking that skill. I don't need the 1-h and archery sneak damage multipliers, and the other perks would just make me OP. 100 Sneak is more than enough for me.

I did put perks in Lockpicking when I was a total newbie. Back then I never used Smithing, because I thought it was useless. Then again, I played on Novice and always filled appropriate armor and weaponry perks trees...

Enchanting I've perked two or three times, but usually can't be bothered to invest in it.

Speech is a skill I've only recently started putting perks in. "Merchant" is really useful, and "Investor" (which I've only ever taken on my current character) even more so.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Given my username, I can safely say that at some point in my adventuring career I have used no Perks in every skill. Realistically though, even when I do use Perks I don't often put them in armor or blocking unless I'm focusing on being a warrior and even then I don't usually go past the first slot.

I don't consider any of the Perk trees useless though some, such as the often mentioned Lockpicking, are very niche trees. I've tried out a thief that took Perks in Lockpicking just to get to the Treasure Hunter Perk. I can't remember if it was worth the effort but somehow I doubt it. 5 Perks just for a better chance at better loot is a bit of a waste. I can't see much use for this tree unless you absolutely suck at picking locks or want to role-play a thief.

Speech is the biggest offender in my book. Most of the Perks revolve around getting better prices or selling more stuff to more people. The problem is that by the time you have a high enough Speech skill you are most likely already rolling in coin or have found/bought/created an item/potion that can achieve the same effect. And if you're like me, the Thieves' Guild questline is one of your early stops so there's little reason in spending points to get to the Fence Perk. Or Bribery for that matter.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I never put perks in lockpicking, speech, two-handed, conjuration, alteration, restoration, illusion, light armor, alchemy, block. I tend to use all of them at some point or another, although not a lot of light armor, block, or two-handed.

To me, there's just not enough perks to go around. I really need them for combat skills and crafting.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Given my username, I can safely say that at some point in my adventuring career I have used no Perks in every skill. Realistically though, even when I do use Perks I don't often put them in armor or blocking unless I'm focusing on being a warrior and even then I don't usually go past the first slot.

I don't consider any of the Perk trees useless though some, such as the often mentioned Lockpicking, are very niche trees. I've tried out a thief that took Perks in Lockpicking just to get to the Treasure Hunter Perk. I can't remember if it was worth the effort but somehow I doubt it. 5 Perks just for a better chance at better loot is a bit of a waste. I can't see much use for this tree unless you absolutely suck at picking locks or want to role-play a thief.

Speech is the biggest offender in my book. Most of the Perks revolve around getting better prices or selling more stuff to more people. The problem is that by the time you have a high enough Speech skill you are most likely already rolling in coin or have found/bought/created an item/potion that can achieve the same effect. And if you're like me, the Thieves' Guild questline is one of your early stops so there's little reason in spending points to get to the Fence Perk. Or Bribery for that matter.

I completely agree with you. Although, one thing I will say about speech is that the perk that allows you to invest in shop owners can be useful. You can sell any type of item to any merchant and their gold is increased permanently. Pretty useful, especially because they allow you to take all of their plops because you become "friends."Although, if you restore the TG then it is useless, I agree.

But to get that one stupid actually useful perk in the Speech skill tree, you have to get a bunch of dumb and useless ones first. Not worth it, especially when you can get Cicero's clothes, Masque of Clavicus Vile, TG armor, and enchanted items with fortify barter.

You should NOT have to get them all in order. I say if your skill, whatever it may be, is at 60 then you should be able to get the perk that requires 60 and above, not have to start at the bottom of the tree and get useless plops that you don't need.

Morgan

Lockpicking. It's not that much easier to pick locks with the perks, lockpicks are plentiful and weightless, making "unbreakable" pointless, the one that gives you a key is of very little value since it's pretty unusual to break into a house more than once (and even if you do, you can just pick it again), and it's easy to make sure you're hidden while picking without needing the perk. The only one that is slightly valuable is the one that puts the pick close to the sweet spot, and even then that's only going to make much of a difference on masters.

However: If you're playing the world's greatest safecracker, no matter how easy it is to pick a lock without the perks, you have to have them or there's the possibility of someone better. That's purely RP though; no practical effect on gameplay.

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
The only one I can think of is lockpicking. I would rather invest in two-hundred lockpicks than actually put any perks on the tree. Not that I actually need all two-hundred, I just like being prepared. Not to mention I hate buying them, I would much rather buy two hundred and forget about them.

Torok

It's gotta be lockpicking. I've stopped putting perks into it.

BigBad

Person of Interest
I never put perks in Lockpicking or Speech, and cannot see any situation where I would. In fact, my latest downloaded mod makes lockpicking even easier, so I won't need to perk it up even when I take to the Thieves Guild quests and start encountering more than the usual Novice or Apprentice chests you find in dungeons.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts