Which skill do you use ZERO perks in that you use frequently?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
Lockpicking is at the top of my list. Speech is another; in spite of how useful the Investor perk is somehow I can't bring myself to waste perks to get to that point. I don't usually bother with Light Armor or Heavy Armor either.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
With the ability to make a skill Legendary and recover the Perk points, it's less of a big deal than it used to be on where to spend them. One can now potentially max out every tree.

That said, unless you WANT every tree maxed out there still isn't much point in spending Perks in Locksmith and Speech.

Bexy

I'm also one that never uses them in Speech, although i do use them in Lockpicking. Don't use them for light armor either.

Just checked actually and haven't used any perk point for smithing either :p

Lucid

Speech perks are awfully nice early in the game when money is tough to come by, but I usually end up wishing I had them back long before I can make it legendary or retake them with the black book.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Lockpicking and alchemy for me. I use them constantly but never perk them up. Considering perking up Lockpicking on my next build (haven't done it since my first one) just so that I can open almost anything with a minimum of fuss. Alchemy is pointless for me. I do it, but only to make cash. I don't use poisons in general or any of the fortify or reduction (frost damage, fire damage, etc...) stuff and, frankly I can make 17 second invisibility + 25% health regen for 300 seconds potions without any points at all and that just keeps getting better as points build up w/out any perks so that's all I need. Besides, by the time I hit 100 on alchemy it's like 2 minutes +50% regen for 300 seconds and who the heck needs to be invisible for that long! I'd have the spell by then.

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
I never use perks in lockpicking or speech, just because you can still use unlock just about anything without those perks, and I find that the only times speech is invaluable is for persuasions and stuff but they don't happen often enough to use a perk in speech (not to mention you don't need that high of speech to have those persuasions still work). I also use restoration often as a mage, but I never really bother to put perks into it.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Just depends on the character, definitely never perk in to lockpicking though.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
I never do lockpicking and never will. If you had to pick locks in real time and there was a chance of a guard walking past or getting attacked and having to start again, maybe it would be useful. Otherwise, no.

For those that haven't tried alchemy, I highly recommend it. You can create far better potions than you'll ever come across in the game. Paralysis for 20+ seconds, invisibility for well over a minute, +100% fortify smithing/one handed/two handed etc. Slow poisons to make enemies move at 50% speed for well over a minute. Every health potion you make can be better than potions of extreme healing. These potions fetch a lot of money too

Anyway, I use the basic health restoration spell a lot in the early game without ever putting perks into it. I should do a game using that tree next time

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Yeah I don't invest any points into lockpicking at all. And depends on my character. Some of them use very little magic at all, except for enchanting. I mainly put mine into archery (fill the whole tree), one handed, smithing and light armour, or heavy armour if I am wearing ancient nord (mainly to get the perk where if you wear a full set it weighs nothing) . I may put one or two into sneak.
Not interested in alchemy, or block, or two handed.
My Vampire lord on the other hand is all magic and light armour. Especially restoration so she can use the necromage perk, being undead (thanks to Irishman who told me about that)

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
I never do lockpicking and never will. If you had to pick locks in real time and there was a chance of a guard walking past or getting attacked and having to start again, maybe it would be useful. Otherwise, no.

For those that haven't tried alchemy, I highly recommend it. You can create far better potions than you'll ever come across in the game. Paralysis for 20+ seconds, invisibility for well over a minute, +100% fortify smithing/one handed/two handed etc. Slow poisons to make enemies move at 50% speed for well over a minute. Every health potion you make can be better than potions of extreme healing. These potions fetch a lot of money too

Anyway, I use the basic health restoration spell a lot in the early game without ever putting perks into it. I should do a game using that tree next time

Damn you seem to know a lot about alchemy which I am clueless in. Every time I try to level it up, it seems to take forever. What's the most efficient way to level alchemy? If you don't mind sharing :)

Gigapact

Yeah I don't invest any points into lockpicking at all. And depends on my character. Some of them use very little magic at all, except for enchanting. I mainly put mine into archery (fill the whole tree), one handed, smithing and light armour, or heavy armour if I am wearing ancient nord (mainly to get the perk where if you wear a full set it weighs nothing) . I may put one or two into sneak.
Not interested in alchemy, or block, or two handed.
My Vampire lord on the other hand is all magic and light armour. Especially restoration so she can use the necromage perk, being undead (thanks to Irishman who told me about that)

Oh getting that necromage perk when a vampire is almost a must. Works wonders, I get it every time for sure.

Twiffle

Damn you seem to know a lot about alchemy which I am clueless in. Every time I try to level it up, it seems to take forever. What's the most efficient way to level alchemy? If you don't mind sharing :)

the trick is in making what i call ''power potions'', if you want a list of some easy ones ill mail them to you.

Gigapact

I would appreciate that very much :D

AJK

My highest level on a Skill I have no perks in is Lockpicking. 2nd place is Conjuration, although I plan on using a couple perks in that Skill eventually. I think Speech is worth using a few perks on to get the "Merchant" perk (sell any item to any vendor).

Daelon DuLac

While I agree that you can make some powerful potions, do you really use them? I don't. Pretty much the only potions ever use are healing, the occassional invisibility (if I'm doing a thief or assassin) and your standard fortifying smithing or enchanting (and frankly I can guzzle multiple ones I find (they do stack in my game apparently) along with items (ring, necklace, gauntlets, etc...). Of course they may just stack because of the glitches in my game. Hey, I even get souls from Drauger and skeletons, which you not supposed to, so maybe I've got some cool glitches. Never use poisons (not even paralysis or slow, although they sell for good money). I'll stick with potions of ultimate healing. By level 30 I usually have a couple dozen anyhow.

Daelon DuLac

My highest level on a Skill I have no perks in is Lockpicking. 2nd place is Conjuration, although I plan on using a couple perks in that Skill eventually. I think Speech is worth using a few perks on to get the "Merchant" perk (sell any item to any vendor).
I always get speech perks. Once I get to 100 the extra 2K on my merchants ends up making me filthy stinkin' rich and I just love that. :) 2 Million Septim by level 60 here I come!

Lucid

While I agree that you can make some powerful potions, do you really use them? I don't

Not long ago I would have agreed with you, but I recently made a character that I decided would only use potions she created herself. I perked Alchemy like never before and was very happy with the results. I will probably apply what I learned to future characters. A single swallow to provide Invisibility for 300 seconds while regenerating health 100% faster? Yes please.

If you eschew fast travelling, alchemy ingredients are blessedly easy to come by and you can turn a mighty profit on your potions, even as a low level character.

Daelon DuLac

While I agree that you can make some powerful potions, do you really use them? I don't

Not long ago I would have agreed with you, but I recently made a character that I decided would only use potions she created herself. I perked Alchemy like never before and was very happy with the results. I will probably apply what I learned to future characters. A single swallow to provide Invisibility for 300 seconds while regenerating health 100% faster? Yes please.

If you eschew fast travelling, alchemy ingredients are blessedly easy to come by and you can turn a mighty profit on your potions, even as a low level character.
Agree. That potion is great. I don't need the 300 seconds (ever), but I luv the health regen. I make those with luna & vamp dust from the lowest of levels. 17 sec & +50% is enough for me though.