Which perspective do you prefer?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

I will presumably play ...

• ... in the First Person for the most part.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • ... in the Third Person for the most part.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • ... about as much in either one.

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters

Ricky

Not a Lawyer
I'm a both type perspective gamer. There are moments where you need to third person it out and see the scene and your character placed in it. I love watching the cinematic killings. I would say any Elder Scrolls fan would agree that both are basically neccessary in the gameplay. First person for that intense and precise fighting. And third person for that I want to see my bad ass character do what he does. agreed?

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I'm a both type perspective gamer. There are moments where you need to third person it out and see the scene and your character placed in it. I love watching the cinematic killings.
Those are in my experience awesome at the beginning, but later on they become nuisance and distraction from actual gameplay. I remember when I played Fallout 3, to face-palm, when I had numerous slow-motion critical hits in a row: "go away already, I want get back to what I was doing"

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Yes, Third Person was previously not really useful for anything else than marveling at your character. This might change with Skyrim though. Among other things they tweaked the reaction time in the Third Person Perspective so combat should work a lot smoother now.

Flamingtaco

1st person is my preference in most games but obviously games like Assassins Creed or Gears of War are better in 3rd person, but Oblivion definitely played better in first except for riding horses so I don't mind that being only in 3rd person in SKyrim. With the new animations I will maybe try out 3rd person and since I don't care too much about immersion I don't mind the finishers being in 3rd. Besides within a few months, there will be mods to make them work in first person if they don't already.

Travis

Given the overhaul which the Third Person combat got many players might reconsider their gaming habits from “Oblivion” and use that mode more often this time. What about you?

I think I’ll mostly stick with the First Person Perspective again as this proved to be the more immersive one of the two for me. But I definitely enjoy the option since I’d like to take a look at my outfit from time to time so it’s nice to have that choice. I just hope that there will be a way to turn off finishers that forcibly “eject” you from the First Person to the Third Person because that could get pretty annoying. It’s also a bit disappointing for me to know that there won’t be any First Person riding in “Skyrim” (as opposed to its prequel) :sadface:
I too preferred 1st person in oblivion, so I think I will stick with it in Skyrim. It always seemed like the 3rd person was a little wonky in oblivion. If they can make it as great as WoW, then I think I would play more 3rd person.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I too preferred 1st person in oblivion, so I think I will stick with it in Skyrim. It always seemed like the 3rd person was a little wonky in oblivion. If they can make it as great as WoW, then I think I would play more 3rd person.

I suppose 3rd person is great in WoW because 1st person is not really working in there. WoW can be almost said to be out of 1st person league.

Akatosh

I am not too sure about this. I mean i chose 1st person because it is a lot better in games like fallout and oblivion but i saw some gameplay with the skyrim 3rd person it might change some peoples minds it looks real smooth and crisp. a lot better that in oblivion.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Now that I thought about it, I think 3rd person perspective isn't 3rd enough. I should be able to see my character from isometric perspective. What's more, where's the second person perspective!?!

Metatron1111

On the countless times I beat Oblivion, and Morrowind. I have to say that, I actually used both 3rd, and 1st person views in a very balanced way. It was mostly due to enjoying the look of my armor, if I had upgraded, and weapon. Nevertheless, things may be different with Skyrim, so I will see how it plays out.

Flamingtaco

I should be able to see my character from isometric perspective. What's more, where's the second person perspective!?!
What is second person anyway? Trying to imagine Skyrim as an isometric game like say Diablo just boggles the mind. I don't think it would control very well, and you'd miss some of the beautiful views.

The majority of my playtime with elder scrolls games have always been first person. I only really used third person to check out my new armour or to look over a village with my character and feel bad ass! Like a protector of the town a sheriff if you will. :D

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, after trying it out, I think third person is great once in a while. They've made quite a large change and they've seen to have done it pretty well.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I started out only using 3rd person, but after awile I found that casting spells and shooting arrows is easier in 1st person. To this day I cannot swordfight in 1st person.

Majority of the time though Im in 3rd person, I just look too damn good not to look at ;)

Its surprising that im the only person so far that voted for 3rd person.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I've tried both, but the lack of peripheral vision on 1st person has always gotten on my nerves. I only really use it when sneaking and using archery or range magic.

I guess I just need to actually see my opponents when I'm fighting them and 3rd person seems to do that for me.

Besides the hands out with the sword standing straight up just seems silly to me. It's better with magic, but, still, who the heck walks around like that!

Oh, and 1st person is better for conversation, it makes it more realistic - you don't hold a conversation with your back to the person because they started talking to you from there.

Chadonraz

I use whichever I happen to prefer at the moment. I do combat and general adventuring in both, though I prefer third person combat when I don't have a follower (animal or man).

When I'm in a store/inn/other building, I usually use first person, because it's easier to interact with NPCs that way. Especially when I'm not using the HUD. Third person + no HUD = a high risk of accidentally stealing something. :)

I don't use that much magic that needs to be aimed, but when I do, I use first person. Archery I can do in third person (even without the HUD/crosshair), but spells... not so much.

Third person is great when you want to have a better view on your surroundings - or when you're hiding in a corner and want to see whether the big bad Dragon Priest is defeated yet (true story; was doing Anska's quest at a low level :D).

jarif

Watch this fullscreen and stay focused on the screen completely and you will find out my answer

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
What the hell is with the thread necromancy on this one? You guys do realize that this thread is nearly 2 YEARS dead?