Which perspective do you prefer?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

I will presumably play ...

• ... in the First Person for the most part.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • ... in the Third Person for the most part.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • ... about as much in either one.

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Given the overhaul which the Third Person combat got many players might reconsider their gaming habits from “Oblivion” and use that mode more often this time. What about you?

I think I’ll mostly stick with the First Person Perspective again as this proved to be the more immersive one of the two for me. But I definitely enjoy the option since I’d like to take a look at my outfit from time to time so it’s nice to have that choice. I just hope that there will be a way to turn off finishers that forcibly “eject” you from the First Person to the Third Person because that could get pretty annoying. It’s also a bit disappointing for me to know that there won’t be any First Person riding in “Skyrim” (as opposed to its prequel) :sadface:

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I don't think there is a finisher that forces third perspective. I could be wrong, since some of the gameplay did show first-person to third-person transition. I won't mind all that much since first-person while throat-slitting could be just awkward. Mostly going to be in 1st person unless I feel like going 3rd person to have a look at my character with a beautiful Skyrim mountain background scene.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Ah, yeah, of course. Scenic screenshots are another thing that this mode would be good for.

I disagree with your concern though. Why would it be awkward? Have you played “Dark Messiah of Might and Magic”? If you choose the path of a rogue you could also kill enemies with a dagger from behind and that looked actually pretty awesome (as can be seen here for instance).

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I tried the demo of it. I don't really remember so I guess from the video you showed me, it does work out pretty nicely. Sudden break into 3rd person does break the flow of the game. It doesn't break the flow like quick-save and quick-load feature does and at least it's cool. But yeah, it would be nice if it wasn't forced onto everyone and there's a way to disable it.

My guess is that it was inspired by fallout where it zooms in slow-mo if you blow up a guy's head off. I think there's a feature to turn that off but I'm not sure. I haven't touched it in a long time and I didn't bother trying to turn it off even though it does bug me from time to time.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
First person for sure, I like to feel like I'm the one doing everything.. in 3rd person I just feel like I'm watching somebody else do everything. So I agree with immersion, and if you can't turn that feature off which forces you out into 3rd person during the death blows, perhaps a mod will provide that option for us.

Jeruhmi

Games where you can choose I always go with first person, rather than third person. It's just my preference.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Third person really did feel weird to play with in Oblivion. Sure, it sounds interesting to see how your character looks in third person from time to time but I think the game should be experienced in first person. I just think of third person as a bonus. :)

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
In oblivion it looked like I was running on ice from third person. xD At least they improved that in Skyrim lol..

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I hated that diagonal walk so much! It hurt my eyes. :/

It's awesome how you can sprint in Skyrim now. :)

Jeruhmi

I was playing Oblivion tonight and tried out the 3rd person mode. I have to admit the guy looked like he was sliding around a lot, let's hope it's more advanced in Skyrim.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
It's awesome how you can sprint in Skyrim now. :)
I think it’s also great that you can’t backwards run at full speed anymore. This also looked stupid in Oblivion.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Oh yes, sprinting. The "running" stance in Oblivion and Fallout was pretty much like a jog. Glad they added sprinting... It's nice that the developers are taking a lot of inspirations from mods.

Jeruhmi

I am sure you could sprint in Oblivion? Or am I getting what you're saying confused :S
I was doing it last night, but it's really sort of dodgy.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
No you can't sprint in oblivion.. but yeah I agree with the mods thing, bethesda support and integrate with the modding community so well it is great.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
What's the function called where I press caps lock and I move a lot more quicker. Isn't that sprinting?

That's just normal running/jogging for me, also on the xbox version that's the standard movement. In skyrim it's the same but you can go even faster by sprinting.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
What's the function called where I press caps lock and I move a lot more quicker. Isn't that sprinting?
Well, like N3w said, that's 'running' but you're pretty much jogging. Your fatigue bar goes up slowly when you're running compared to jogging. In Skyrim, you can use up your fatigue to run even faster.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Based on my experience with Oblivion, I voted for 1st person. However, system might be completly different from what we're used to, so I don't want have any strong opinions before I've tried it out. I usually tend to use 3rd person only for screenshot purposes. Oh, I almost forgot riding with a horse. That's definetely more easier from third person perspective.