Spoiler Which is better for mage?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

mrlymric

All clothing enchanted all for magic user ?

OR

Light Armor Dragonscale set enchanted for magic user?

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
well a full armour set is better when you can enchant, however i prefer just robes because its more traditional for roleplaying and immersion.

AS88

Staff member
Robes with Alteration -flesh spells, imo. Purists would say that if you're in Light Armour you're not a mage any more.

mrlymric

Ok tyvm but my robe will be destruction or conjuration then rest enchants will destructive % less and increase magicka, my playstyle is stealth mage since my character is stealth archer and going to use black book to refund my archery tree and get all my perks back, also right side of sneak tree perks back and light armor perks back, ill still be 100% stealth with silent casting and twin souls, so twin souls one hand to summon two mobs to fight for me and destructive spell in other hand, plus being stealth and with my sneak enchants and all of the left side of tree, mobs won't see me" there fore can't touch me. Way it works with stealth archer build and been using since for last 67 levels so converting over to destructive/conjuration/stealth ill still rule and have more fun on master level

i just needed to know diff of regular clothing compared to Dragonscale armor, i rather go pure clothing and robe
Tyvm for the advice on the alteration robe but will have no need for it plus i have all mage schools at 100 ,just working. Destruction up, atm it's at 72. Won't take much longer to hit lvl 100 real fast and i have everything picked out to put my perks and still have about 11 perk points left over which doesn't really need to go any where lol :):):)

Robes with Alteration -flesh spells, imo. Purists would say that if you're in Light Armour you're not a mage any more.
If that's all, then a lightly Armored Mage is still a Mage. You'll probably get better protection, albeit temporarilly with Ebonyflesh, but you don't Have to go all clothing to Qualify. Morokei has a little Armor, as does the Diadem of the Savant, and all the other Mage related Dragon Priest masks. Throw in Weapons, or Sneak, then you're something else, but a Battlemage is still a type of mage. I use the term "Wizard" for the classic Pure mage with robes, and no weapons except perhaps a Staff. That tends to clear up any confusion.

Which is "Better?" I guess it depends on how you play. Wind Walker is a big help when you spend most of your time running around to avoid getting hit. I like Robes/Clothes, there's a lot more visually appealing options there if you're going to DiY the Enchantments. Ulfric's, Mourners', Blacksmith's Apron, lots of the plain old "Clothes" clothes, the Mystic Tuning Gloves, Alikir Hood, the list goes on, and on. If you really want to stand out, I can't tell you how many Battlemage builds I've seen in Dragonscale (Including my own, well, she was a Spellsword.)
40CE9D4B3A10652080E82EFABB46A2F40A2DCD2D

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Robes. They simply make more sense with the way the game is set up.

Of course, Dragonscale armor with double enchantments on every piece would be fantastic... but what'll you do for your first forty or fifty levels, before your smithing and enchanting skills are high enough to make all that fantastic gear? In your first ten levels or so, unenchanted leather armor is not going to be very helpful if you only use magic and no melee combat skills. Using Flesh spells will eventually lose value, too, because you won't be getting the additional armor rating from the Mage Armor perk in the Alteration tree if you're wearing any kind of real armor. And let's not forget that, without the extra magicka and the magicka regeneration enchantments you'd get with mage robes, you're going to run out of magicka really quickly in battle.

On the other hand, if you go with mage robes for your earlier levels, until you've built up your smithing and enchanting skills, once you finally put on that nice set of armor you've made... it won't do squat, since your light armor skill will be stuck at 15 from lack of use. Good luck!

IMHO, mage robes are the best way to go if you're using more magic than melee, particularly Destruction, since it uses up a lot of magicka and you're going to need to regenerate it quickly. If you only use, say, Illusion and Restoration as assisting skills but fight your battles with a sword, then light armor (with enchantments when you can buy or buy them, or enchant then yourself) would be a better choice.

I do, however, typically stick with light armor and the mage hood from the Helgen dungeon until I can get the Oakflesh spell tome, since otherwise, you've got an armor rating of zero. And that isn't good for any build.

mrlymric

NoNo, I'm already lvl 69, i am not going to roll another toon, I'm using my black book to change my perks around to a mage, I'm a stealth archer atm with all perks in Archery, Sneak, Smithing, Enchanting and light armor. All of them all is 100

I just got done getting conjuration to 100" alteration to 100" restoration 100 so i have alot more perk points to spread around. My Destruction is at 82 atm, by tommorrow it will be 100. Then ill start my mage college quest line and then finish up all my non radiant side quests, hit lvl 81 kill ebony warrior then wait till summer-fall for last 2dlc's to come out

My playstyle is going to be a stealth mage using only destruction and conjurationt ( destruction spell in One hand and in other hand a conjuration pet spells using twin souls ) and level myself up rest way to 81 as a stealth mage, ill be taking all points out of archery and placing all in destruction and take out right side only of sneak tree to place in conjuration left side to get twin souls, then take out my points in light armor and grab silent casting. And maybe few other perks

So having twin souls to cast two antronachs or however you spell it lol, they will me doing my fighting and ill be casting my destruction spells without breaking out of sneak mode with silent casting, so 90% time i will always have the upper hand in all my fights just as i do now as a stealth archer.

The Only Thing Different is take away Archery and replace it with Destruction and take away light armor and replace it with Conjuration. The playstyle will still be same way, sneak, cast pets,. Still staying in sneak mode then casting destruction spells and again staying in sneak mode,
Mobs won't see me or touch me 90% time just as they didn't for lastly 69 levels lol.

Then when i hit lvl 81, ill take a break and wait for the next 2 DLC'S to be announced and released sometime this late summer to fall time.

JoeReese

With those perks, I'd go with a nice, light set of Elven Gilded armor. If your enchanting is 100, then you can do double-enchanting perk. I would do up your armor for destruction and magicka regen, as though it were robes. Do your helmet for archery and more destruction, your gauntlets for magicka and more archery or one-handed, and your boots for muffle and resist fire. Throw on a necklace and ring, each with destruction and either shock or frost. Now you've got 100% destruction (spells are now free, even the biggies) along with about 46% of fire, frost, and shock protection, a boost or two in archery, and two boosts in magicka...and you move silently. Plus, you've already got armor on. With 100 smithing and enchanting, you do up four pieces for smithing gear (head/body/necklace/ring) at 25% each. Take a blacksmith's elixir, and upsmith them. You'll be at or near the armor cap, and you won't have to worry about taking the time to cast your mage armors. Then you can save those mage armor perks for something more combative.

mrlymric

Ok awesome advice tyvm, one thing i do not want to add any archery or one handed to my gear, i am wanting to stay completely away from those since i had them as a stealth archer and now I'm doing 100% switch around to stealth mage.

You mention Destruction and mag regen, do you mean to enchant destruction as less cost to cast or do more damage?

And how am I fitting in fire,frost and shock resists at 46% when I need to enchant increase magicka and magicka regen and destruction less cost.?

I will have every perk in destruction except, dual cast, impact and rune master and in conjuration all of the left side of the perk tree, then will take silent casting in one of the other mage schools and i think there is a magicka regen or something similar to that i can take.

I am just trying to see what all is going on what piece of gear ect,, I'm confused now lol and perking out all destruction just how much enchanting i need to do for destruction ect,,?

JoeReese

If you have 100 enchanting, you should be able to enchant at 25% without need of potions, etc., though you will still want enchanter's elixir for your protections.

When you enchant for fortify destruction, you're reducing the cost of the spell by 25% per piece of gear. So if you include fortify destruction in your helmet, armor, ring, and necklace, you will have reached a 100% discount. This means you can hurl the high-cost thunderbolts and incinerates all day long, without reducing your magicka one iota. This will help a lot, if you decide to use robes instead of armor, and will leave you plenty of magicka for mage armor or an atronach, or whatever you may wish to do.

Make sure you take the dual-enchant perk, have enough grand gems, and some enchanters elixirs on you. Here's how I would probably do it.

Helmet - fortify destruction, fortify magicka
Armor - fortify destruction, fortify conjuration
Necklace - fortify destruction, resist shock
Ring - fortify destruction, resist frost
Boots - muffle, resist fire
Gauntlets - fortify magicka, (and some other helpful amenity of your choosing. I usually have one-handed)

This gives you protection from the big 3 dragon/wizard attacks, plus silent movement, and 100% cost free destruction spells, plus a reduction on your conjuration. I think it's more important to have the reduced casting cost for the higher cost thralls than to regenerate quicker, since you will probably be regenerated before you have to cast it again.

The open spot on the gauntlets I usually fill with archery or one-handed, but you can add whatever you like from your list of available enchantments. If you're a nord or a dark elf, you will already have 50% frost or fire resistance, so you can use that slot in a ring or necklace for either extra magicka or some magicka regen. The storm thrall is the highest cost I've encountered so far, in the 500s. It's the only one I can't cast yet, unless I put on a magicka necklace. I'm not above carrying around an extra necklace, just to slip on when I conjure, and then replace with my "attack necklace."

Hope it helps.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I generally prefer robes, as you can buy non enchanted robes and clothes for a Mage with alteration perks and the Lord Stone you can end up becoming quite tough, better than armor without investing perks into Light or heavy.

For light Penitus Oculatus has a very good usefulness, the helmet will allow you to wear a circlet with it, with 100 enchanting that would be four head enchantments.

Heavy armor I guess the new Dragon born armors look pretty cool, that blue one.

mrlymric

If you have 100 enchanting, you should be able to enchant at 25% without need of potions, etc., though you will still want enchanter's elixir for your protections.

When you enchant for fortify destruction, you're reducing the cost of the spell by 25% per piece of gear. So if you include fortify destruction in your helmet, armor, ring, and necklace, you will have reached a 100% discount. This means you can hurl the high-cost thunderbolts and incinerates all day long, without reducing your magicka one iota. This will help a lot, if you decide to use robes instead of armor, and will leave you plenty of magicka for mage armor or an atronach, or whatever you may wish to do.

Make sure you take the dual-enchant perk, have enough grand gems, and some enchanters elixirs on you. Here's how I would probably do it.

Helmet - fortify destruction, fortify magicka
Armor - fortify destruction, fortify conjuration
Necklace - fortify destruction, resist shock
Ring - fortify destruction, resist frost
Boots - muffle, resist fire
Gauntlets - fortify magicka, (and some other helpful amenity of your choosing. I usually have one-handed)

This gives you protection from the big 3 dragon/wizard attacks, plus silent movement, and 100% cost free destruction spells, plus a reduction on your conjuration. I think it's more important to have the reduced casting cost for the higher cost thralls than to regenerate quicker, since you will probably be regenerated before you have to cast it again.

The open spot on the gauntlets I usually fill with archery or one-handed, but you can add whatever you like from your list of available enchantments. If you're a nord or a dark elf, you will already have 50% frost or fire resistance, so you can use that slot in a ring or necklace for either extra magicka or some magicka regen. The storm thrall is the highest cost I've encountered so far, in the 500s. It's the only one I can't cast yet, unless I put on a magicka necklace. I'm not above carrying around an extra necklace, just to slip on when I conjure, and then replace with my "attack necklace."

Hope it helps.

Yes this helps lot, i am wood elf. i have 1 question tho, after enchanting my gear as you show it, do i still need to place points into in the destruction tree perks of
Novice destruction-app dest-adept dest-expert dest then last master dest? I'm pretty sure i do, just wanted to make sure lol

JoeReese

My experience has been no, you don't have to use the perks. I have always turned into some kind of conjurer/warrior with every play through, so I've never had perks in those trees. As long as you're wearing four pieces of 25% gear, you can cast all the destruction you like. Take them off, and it will get pretty costly.

Try it without first, to make sure it works that way for you. If not, then take your perks, but I don't believe you'll have to.

mrlymric

Awesome I'm very happy to hear this, I shall try it out once I'm done leveling my destruction to 100.
I am leveling it up on one my tortured humans i have in my dark brotherhood chamber lol :):):)

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I used to always go for mage armour perks and only wear clothing because I like the traditional mage look but unfortunately all the best mage items have some armor which causes the mage armor perks to be useless, I mean in particular the new dragon priest masks in dragonborn which are the only items in the game that increase destruction damage.
So now I wear heavy armor boots and gauntlets with robes and a dragon priest mask, still looks magey and you get a lot of protection from armor and you don't need to cast flesh spells or waste 3 perks.

JoeReese

Don't forget you can go to an Imperial or Stormcloak camp, and level up on a few different things with the officer in charge. They can't be killed, so you fight them long enough to force them to a knee, heal them, fight, heal, fight, heal, etc. You can level armor, one or two-handed, archery, destruction, etc. If you have an archer, shoot a very good arrow at them a few times, like a Daedric or glass, and they will start shooting them back. Run into the tent with the map table, and they will stand outside and plant hundreds of very nice, powerful arrows into the tent wall (and you) for you to collect. I usually have a healing spell ready, so they don't get to kill me, but it gives me as many high level arrows as I want, and levels my armor too.

It's time consuming, and I am careful not to use it too much so I get my arse handed to me in combat, but if I am one or two points away from being able to use a perk or something, then I'll zip out there and level it with them.

JoeReese

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out. If you're using dual cast, you will probably monkeystomp some monsters and villains. Muhahahaa.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts