• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

What say you?

• Let him live

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Put him down

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Ignore the quest and not deal with it

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
well if u kill dragons, when u die, they will kill humans. Blades want to kill dragons, theyll end up killing their kin. So if u tie em up for chair and feed once a day, we can establish peace! Just dont let em kill drakes once Al is dead...

lucid-dreaming

i'm roleplaying a cold, lawful militaristic character, so the only way i settled the whole paarthunax dilemma was following the blades. Sure he was a good guy, and i adored him so. Though he admitted his involvment and contribution to the dragon crisis and for my dragonborn, the end never always justifies the means. i was in no position to save him, since i never let my personal feelings/views get into the game when i roleplay a certain character, rather i parallel it to my pc's personality.

The dilemma is totally grey. Both parties have their faults and all i want is to sell all those god damned dragonbones/scales that occupies half of my carryweight.

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim
Every character lets him live. My moral code gets in the way, I guess. Plus, I think he's awesome.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I don't kill him for the simple reason that I never really continue on with that part of the quest. I hate Delphine so I never go back to them for help. Plus I kind of like him anyway.

I accidentally killed Paarthy once. And I was forever followed by his skeleton. Everywhere I fast traveled it would show up.. draped over houses, laying in the middle of a market, flip-flopping down the side of a mountain. I got seriously trolled. So yeah, never again.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
The Blades are spineless milksops. Imperial guardsmen without an emperor to guard. They may have been great warriors, once. They may have been dragon slayers, once. Once... but long ago. Now they are nothing.

I would suffer them better if they kept at their boot-licking like proper sycophants. I am the dragonborn, after all. Saving the world is dusty work. My boots will need a good shine from time to time. For most of the story they fill this role amiably. They're well suited to praising and fawning over me.

But there's a line drawn when they start making demands of me. Me! The one without whom they'd still be cowering in sewers and posing as tavern wenches.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
The Blades are spineless milksops. Imperial guardsmen without an emperor to guard. They may have been great warriors, once. They may have been dragon slayers, once. Once... but long ago. Now they are nothing.

I would suffer them better if they kept at their boot-licking like proper sycophants. I am the dragonborn, after all. Saving the world is dusty work. My boots will need a good shine from time to time. For most of the story they fill this role amiably. They're well suited to praising and fawning over me.

But there's a line drawn when they start making demands of me. Me! The one without whom they'd still be cowering in sewers and posing as tavern wenches.

Meanwhile the Greybeards hide on a mountain like cowards. At least the Blades got the stones to be in the game.

The Blades are fighting the good fight. Meanwhile on the mountain the Greybeards are...

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
It's completely subjective, but I think it takes courage to live (and die) by a code of strict pacifism in a world as violent and often unforgiving as tamriel. To cultivate great strength but also great restraint. The spiritual will to live a life of material denial and solumn meditation; to accept the will of the gods and allow events of the outside world to unfold according to fate.

The Greybeards are certainly not hiding at the top of the world. Every Nord in skyrim knows where they are. What's more, every nord respects them for their power and their wisdom. When they call Jarls and Generals heed them. In this way, in spite of their vows of non-violence, they still influence the course of history.

Most of all their order would persist without the dragonborn, unlike the hobbled Blades. The Greybeards aid you more in your journey and depend on you less than The Blades. Yet lay no ultimatums on you. And, in true strength of conviction, have no reciprocal quest of "Disband the blades!" in spite of their open dislike of the dragon slayers.

LotusEater

Actually, it's not subjective at all. The Greybeards fully accept you as a member and yet have no intention of telling you that Paarth even exists. That's deception and it's not admirable. They've decided to take a hands off approach and only get involved begrudgingly. When you ask about Dragonrend, they immediately accuse you of being a puppet for the Blades and make it clear that they absolutely do not want to share the info with you... where's the trust? The Greybeards have secluded themselves from humanity and that is more in the realm of narcissism than any sort of peace pursuit. The Greybeards are neutral... Greybeards... neutral... GREYbeards. They only care about themselves and protecting Paarth. That is all. The survival of the rest of humanity is secondary to them if it even rates at all. They made that pretty obvious through their actions. If there is ever another Dragon War, they would be the enablers due to their cult-like devotion to Paarth. The new Dragon Priests, if you will. Secrecy leads to tyranny and hiding a dragon on a mountain is a whopper secret, let alone hiding the First Lieutenant of the Dragon Army of Death.

Last edited:

Papoy

They refused to share info about paathronax because they tought that Dragonborn wasnt "ready". And they were "right" cause all drakes are combined words from thuum, the very fact that DB didnt know that paarth was a dragon was cause he couldnt understand paarths name, (also clear skies, but no walls of the words of power for those (shame)
. I dont blame them for hiding Paarth, he tought them and made them what they are now, they owe everything to him, btw, if Paarth existence was revieled to the wrold before Als return, he would probably get killed (numbers can overhelm), then there would be a LOT LESS hope, if not, apsolutely no hope for DB to beat Alduin. So yep, they did the right thing. And finaly. About dragonrend shout, they revieled what it makes u, after some persuasion. And no wonder they didnt want to share it with u the moment u asked them. They aint bad ppl, so doubtedly they would want for any1 to become "that".

Last edited:

LotusEater

They refused to share info about paathronax because they tought that Dragonborn wasnt "ready". And they were "right" cause all drakes are combined words from thuum, the very fact that DB didnt know that paarth was a dragon was cause he couldnt understand paarths name, (also clear skies, but no walls of the words of power for those (shame)
. I dont blame them for hiding Paarth, he tought them and made them what they are now, they owe everything to him, btw, if Paarth existence was revieled to the wrold before Als return, he would probably get killed (numbers can overhelm), then there would be a LOT LESS hope, if not, apsolutely no hope for DB to beat Alduin. So yep, they did the right thing. And finaly. About dragonrend shout, they revieled what it makes u, after some persuasion. And no wonder they didnt want to share it with u the moment u asked them. They aint bad ppl, so doubtedly they would want for any1 to become "that".

Paarth knew Alduin was coming back. The Greybeards knew he was coming back... for centuries. The warning could have been issued long before Helgen burned, even in a cryptic way so as to avoid exposure. But none of that was done and all parties on the mountain were perfectly content to let villages burn and people die until the Blades tell you what is really going on. People died because the Greybeards weren't forthcoming on pertinent info. Not acceptable.

Also, I think people give the Greybeards and Paarth way too much credit for teaching the Dragonborn the Way of the Voice. They don't. You know how to use Unrelenting Force well before you meet the Greybeards and can continue to collect and use them without their help. The only Shout they teach you aside from the continuation of UF is Whirlwind Sprint, which they teach you because they need you to know it in order for you to retrieve their horn and Clear Skies which they apparently had no intention of sharing with you either until pressed. Seriously, those guys are useless. At least the Blades will show up to help you fight dragons.

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I still say bbq. Only this time I'd include Delphine and Esbern on the menu as well. Just 'cause they're annoying.

Frankly, I have yet to have a character kill Paarthanax, but, on the other hand, after the initial visit to the Greybeards and getting the Blades to their temple, I don't have anything to do with either, frankly.

It doesn't seem to matter who or what my character is, they just don't involve themselves with either faction. Sure they go back and get Clear Skies and visit Paarthanax, but, once Dragon Rend is learned, that's it.

I don't care either way. There are better things to do in Skyrim and, frankly, dragons are more pests than anything else generally. None of them seem to anything more than rise to their animal natures only. Sure they're powerful, but, very few actually demonstrate anything more than instinctual savagery.

Papoy

Theres no way we can know that Paarth told greybeards about Alduins return. Also, even if they DID know and even if they DID tell every1, then what? Only1 that can STOP Alduin, not kill him for real, is Dragonborn. Alduin the World-Eater has the army of dragons on his side, even if races would unite i dont think that they would prove a match to em without DB. Makes no difference if the world knew bout his return or not. Alduin was sent by the Akatosh to "end the wheel of time" and all that hopeless mortals can do is to delay it.
Even TES: Skyrim has to be a little realistic right? U cant learn all math patterns, laws and things in 20 minutes right? If they tought u all they knew 1st time u met them, where would fun go? It wouldnt go, it would dissapear. Also the logic i mentioned earlyer. Tough i agree with blades that mortals neeed to fight dragons in order to survive, but still, Paarth has repayed his dept by helping Dragonborn defeat Alduin, so theres no reason to kill him (IMO)

EDIT: What i forgot to answer before. Greybeards didnt hide Paarth existence from DB, all u had to do was to ask them. There are only four of u? Areingir (dam that name) says: fivve, paarthonax is fifth, blah blah blah, he lives on the top of the mountain, blah blah blah, when u are ready the path to him will open to u.

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

Re: the whole Greybeards knew that Alduin was going to return, etc..

It's all yadayadayada. There have been prophecies of his return for a very long time ("Dark Wings... brother fighting brother... etc..." verse being evidence as well as the book "Alduin's Return"). I don't think it was exactly a hidden thing that the Greybeards were holding back. Even Parthy admits that he only knew where Alduin would return, not when.

Many folks seem to have it in for Parthy for what he did thousands of years ago. Admittedly, culpability is always a factor, but actions after the fact also need to be taken in to account.

I don't even know why I'm in this discussion. Frankly, I've never really cared either way.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Actually, it's not subjective at all. The Greybeards fully accept you as a member and yet have no intention of telling you that Paarth even exists. That's deception and it's not admirable.

I'm not sure you're remembering it correctly.

The first time his name comes up (that I can recall) is after you've mastered Whirlwind Sprint shout. The dialog option comes up "There are only four of you?".

The Greybeards make mention of him as the leader of their order. Which is entirely true. Their language may be misleading; as one would naturally assume that the "leader" of the Greybeards is himself a Greybeard. They say he lives on the peak, which is also true, and elude to an eventual meeting when the Dragonborn is deemed "ready" (Whatever that may mean).

They never mention that he's a dragon. But in his capacity as their leader that fact is irrelevant.

Daelon DuLac

Actually, it's not subjective at all. The Greybeards fully accept you as a member and yet have no intention of telling you that Paarth even exists. That's deception and it's not admirable.

The first time his name comes up (that I can recall) is after you've mastered Whirlwind Sprint shout. The dialog option comes up "There are only four of you?".

The Greybeards make mention of him as the leader of their order. Which is entirely true. Their language may be misleading; as one would naturally assume that the "leader" of the Greybeards is himself a Greybeard. They say he lives on the peak, which is also true, and elude to an eventual meeting when the Dragonborn is deemed "ready" (Whatever that may mean).

They never mention that he's a dragon. But in his capacity as their leader that fact is irrelevant.
That is very true. They do indeed mention that they have a "leader" and you are right. On my first playthrough, I had no idea he was a dragon until I met him. I just assumed he was some weird old guy living on top of a mountain. I even expected him to have a shack of something up there! :)

LotusEater

That's not disclosure, alluding to some phantom leader. That's deception no matter how you want to paint it. Sorry. At the very least they should have introduced you to him after retrieving the horn. The fact that he is a dragon is not irrelevant at all, in fact quite the opposite. Dragons are reappearing and the fact that he is a dragon is hugely substantial. Obviously since the quest halts without their participation.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts