• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

What say you?

• Let him live

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Put him down

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Ignore the quest and not deal with it

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
There was an interesting discussion in another thread and I thought I would bring the topic to General as I always enjoy a good Paarth discussion. In the other thread it was concluded by those involved that Paarth was a very grey character. Personally, I like Paarth and I understand why people would want to keep him around but in realistic terms, it's hard to justify keeping him alive aside from the personal relationship developed between him and the Dragonborn. But the way I look at it, it's almost like if your buddy got bit by a zombie. Yea, it sucks that you have to kill him, but you know that the consequences for letting him live could be catastrophic. What to do?

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Now see I don't see it that way. Paarthunax was/is more like a soldier in the military. A subordinate of Alduin, but Paarthy and a few others didn't like the way he ran things and kind of pulled a little coupe, helping out the humans. So what "I" see anyways that Paarth is charged with crimes against humanity by the Blades because he's a dragon and was just following orders but knew/thought it would only end in disaster and switched sides.

So I see keeping him alive now that Paarthy has more or less come to a sense of "atonement" teaching the Way of the Voice and more on the side of humans, is a good thing. Killing him, to me at least, is the same as saying "Well he's a dragon... we should kill him." and dats racist xD

JoeReese

There was an interesting discussion in another thread and I thought I would bring the topic to General as I always enjoy a good Paarth discussion. In the other thread it was concluded by those involved that Paarth was a very grey character. Personally, I like Paarth and I understand why people would want to keep him around but in realistic terms, it's hard to justify keeping him alive aside from the personal relationship developed between him and the Dragonborn. But the way I look at it, it's almost like if your buddy got bit by a zombie. Yea, it sucks that you have to kill him, but you know that the consequences for letting him live could be catastrophic. What to do?

I let him live, for two reasons.

1. IMO, there is a major difference between someone who "flips" when there's nothing to lose, and someone who does so when they stand to lose everything. Whether he realized Alduin was going too far, or was actually persuaded by Kyne to help man and mer, he did so at a time when it was not advantageous to do so. At least that's how I see it.

2. If there is one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's an ultimatum. More often than not, I will do precisely the opposite of what someone demands of me, just because they demanded it. It's hard to play the quest with Delphine and not feel like she see the dragonborn as a tool to be wielded by her, in the pursuit of the Blades' mission. If she wants Paarthurnax dead so badly, I certainly won't prevent her from going to the throat and trying him on for size, but I'll be Talos damned if she's going to force my hand.

LotusEater

Now see I don't see it that way. Paarthunax was/is more like a soldier in the military. A subordinate of Alduin, but Paarthy and a few others didn't like the way he ran things and kind of pulled a little coupe, helping out the humans. So what "I" see anyways that Paarth is charged with crimes against humanity by the Blades because he's a dragon and was just following orders but knew/thought it would only end in disaster and switched sides.

So I see keeping him alive now that Paarthy has more or less come to a sense of "atonement" teaching the Way of the Voice and more on the side of humans, is a good thing. Killing him, to me at least, is the same as saying "Well he's a dragon... we should kill him." and dats racist xD

You are kinda painting Paarth as a grunt soldier when in fact he held an enormous amount of power and commanded pretty much the entire dragon army under his brother. And I believe it's documented in lore that he was responsible for many atrocities towards mankind during his height of power.

Last edited:

LotusEater

I let him live, for two reasons.

1. IMO, there is a major difference between someone who "flips" when there's nothing to lose, and someone who does so when they stand to lose everything. Whether he realized Alduin was going too far, or was actually persuaded by Kyne to help man and mer, he did so at a time when it was not advantageous to do so. At least that's how I see it.

2. If there is one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's an ultimatum. More often than not, I will do precisely the opposite of what someone demands of me, just because they demanded it. It's hard to play the quest with Delphine and not feel like she see the dragonborn as a tool to be wielded by her, in the pursuit of the Blades' mission. If she wants Paarthurnax dead so badly, I certainly won't prevent her from going to the throat and trying him on for size, but I'll be Talos damned if she's going to force my hand.

I hear ya. Delphine... The part where she first witnesses you absorb a soul at Kynesgrove, there's a part of me that wants to drive the hilt of my sword into her skull. But I do feel like the Blades are more honorable overall in their outlook and I can't stand the Greybeards. I actually wish there was a Take Down the Greybeards quest tbh.

LotusEater

Now if Paarth were the last dragon alive I could see leaving him to live but there are too many dragons still around after the main quest and all it would take is for them to start organizing in secret and all hell could break loose again. Be a fun questline though, that's for sure.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
I may not have got 100% of the facts, but my point was the same. He did some bad pl***... but so what? So do the men, mer, and beast races of Mundus :p Paarthy has ages of wisdom, experience, and knowledge to share and he's more on a path of peace now. I believe in redemption so that's why - again this is my opinion - I let him live and think he doesn't deserve to die. ^_^

Damn, damn, damn! I have spent the last year smug in my status of having completed every quest. Now you remind me that I never did the Blades quest, because I wouldn't kill Paarthunax. So, maybe I just have to do, then wipe all of the character from the disk.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Don't do nothing that b**** and the coot tell me to do. Condescening, paranoid a**ho**s. If I didn't have to deal with them to get the whole questline moving, I wouldn't.

Frankly, if I can kill Alduin, I can certainly take down Paarthy if he becomes a problem. And, if he waits until I'm dead... hey, I'll already be dead, so why would I care.

Mithro'I

I kill every dragon I can. No particular reason, apart from the fact that I like killing dragons. And every other kind of beasts. And mer. And machines. Just give me something to kill. :D

So yeah. Tough plops for Paarthurnax.:Dragonborn:

:ashstab::pinkdragon::ashstab:

Bipolar Nord

Just another fanatical gamer
This is easy for me, I've always let him live, no matter what type of character I've played and the reasons.....

1. During the Merethic era, Kyne influenced Paarthurnax to assist mankind and he was responsible for teaching the ancient Nords the Thu'um. As far as I'm concerned, Paarthurnax redeemed himself for any atrocities committed against mankind during the dragon war.
  2. I don't take orders from those has been Blades. The Blades need to take their ass back to Cyrodiil, they have no business butting into Skyrim's business. And they can take that rinky dink reward for killing Paarthurnax and stick it where da sun don't shine.

Last edited:

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Don't do nothing that b**** and the coot tell me to do. Condescening, paranoid a**ho**s. If I didn't have to deal with them to get the whole questline moving, I wouldn't.

Frankly, if I can kill Alduin, I can certainly take down Paarthy if he becomes a problem. And, if he waits until I'm dead... hey, I'll already be dead, so why would I care.

Damn right :D ((and if you're on PC you can get a mod to still do the quests without kililng him)) :p

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Paarthy would get off with a light sentence in a court of law. With the Nuremburg Trials as my precedent I say he has redeemed himself and has given no probable or justifiable cause to kill him.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
It depends on the character I'm playing. Mostly I've let him live. Alive, he's an asset to the Dragonborn and kin, in a way. And like someone already stated, the Blades know his whereabouts. They have legitimate cause for wanting him dead so I won't stand in their way. :beermug: Only one of my characters fully embraced the Blades philosophy. When she killed Paarth, he offered no resistance. It's as if Paarth foresaw his demise at her hands, and accepted it nobly.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
Let him live, he is the one that helped u kill alduin, even tho he's Al's bro. Never liked blades, way of thinkin, way of doing things... If i kill paathronax now, what will happen to the rest of the dova's ?? at some point one will surely turn into an "Alduin second generation" without some1 to raise him before he starts to think like Al did. Ive fought Alduin to stop that fakin war... if im going to be a cause of another1 THEN WHY THE HELL DID I EVEN BOTHER.

I would stop blades if they would try to kill him, they talk like they know everything. All they can learn is to read those fakin stones. Delphine said that greybeards are afraid of their power. So if she could use thu'um she would do it on every rabbit that tries to bite her? that time she showed me that she is a power-hungry bittch. Dont kill paathronax, kill the Blades.

LotusEater

So kill the humans, save the dragons... wow...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts