two handed or one handed?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

so what do YOU prefer?

• Two Handed Weapons

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • One Handed Weapons

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
what do you guys think about the damage output for 2 handed vs 1 handed?

EDIT: PLEASE note that this thread is MAINLY focused on the DAMAGE difference between 2 handed and 1 handed weapons, not how versatile they are or which you should use for a certain build. please read this post entirely before commenting since i have noticed some of these comments have nothing at all to do with the main point of the thread. thank you.

however, the poll is for which ever you prefer based on any/all reasons you might have

now, lets just pretend that 2 handers do exactly 2x more damage then its 1 hander counterpart and takes exactly twice as long to get the next swing in. with this logic they would be the same damage over time

example:
a 2 handed sword hits for 100 points every 2 seconds, and for a 30 second long battle that is 1500 total damage done, or 50 dps (damage per second)
(30 sec long battle / 2 seconds for each swing = 15 swings)
(100 damage x 15 swings = 1500 total damage)

a 1 handed sword hits for 50 points every second, in the same 30 second long battle that is also 1500 total damage, or 50 dps (damage per second)
(30 sec long battle / 1 second for each swing = 30 swings)
(50 damage x 30 swings = 1500 total damage)

now i know these are made up numbers and swing speeds, but its just a great way to express and explain my question. so what do you guys think? i would guess 2 handed damage is probably still better but it is really THAT much better or what?

and i know perks and skill levels come into play, if anyone's going to do a realistic number crunch lets just pretend your two handed and one handed skills are both level 100 and you have NO perks in either of them, and remember for weapons we are comparing like weapons. as in a 1 handed sword and a 2 handed sword, or a 1 handed axe and a 2 handed axe

Your thinking too much. Two Handed is slow yet deadly and One handed is fast and useless. Choose.

jRi0T68

You can get the job done with either, but I normally think my characters would choose 2 handed. I love an Orc clubbing someone in the head with a hammer.

Zuma

Your thinking too much. Two Handed is slow yet deadly and One handed is fast and useless. Choose.
lol i have made my choice and i enjoy it ^_^ im not going to re do my character if two handed turns out to be better. im just curious about which one is statistically better dps

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

If you're considering unique weapon effects, I'd have to say two-handed. The Longhammer is an Orcish warhammer that swings 30% faster than normal warhammers.

According to the Wiki, this translates to the equivalent of the Ebony Blade, which in turn translates to the swing speed of a one-handed weapon. Coupled with elemental fury, the DPS is crazy.

For DoT, irregardless of perks, enchantment, and smithing, a sword does the most damage the fastest. The choice in weapon has more to do with than simple damage capacity, though. With 1 handed, you can dual wield, use it with a shield, or spell in the other hand. So for versatility, 1 handed is a better skill. 2 handers have much longer reach, which is about the only advantage. They also have an extra perk (Sweep) which allows you to strike multiple foes (if you can land it, it's a tricky move.) I'm ignoring your made up numbers, because a Greatsword doesn't do exactly twice as much damage, in twice the time.

If you're considering unique weapon effects, I'd have to say two-handed. The Longhammer is an Orcish warhammer that swings 30% faster than normal warhammers.

According to the Wiki, this translates to the equivalent of the Ebony Blade, which in turn translates to the swing speed of a one-handed weapon. Coupled with elemental fury, the DPS is crazy.
The Ebony Blade uses the 1 handed skill to determine it's damage, and the Longhammer doesn't, it's a true 2 handed weapon. Also, read the original post, he's talking about in general, not special cases. The Longhammer is pretty damned mighty, though. You can also Smith/chant it up to more powerful than Volendrung. (Another fast swinging 2 handed weapon.) And Finally, there's Ahtar's Headsman's Axe, which also swings quickly, but like the Ebony Blade, does 1 handed damage, and cannot be smithed better (Only enchanted.) Of that unique subset, only the hammers swing faster, And do 2 handed damage, Volendrung has the 3rd highest base damage in the game.

The man

I am the man. I am everything...
one handed or two?
well if the 'hilt' is big enough for both hands to fit why not eh?
oh but be sure to use some 'softening leather'
unless the 'hilt' is circum... er.. i mean 'already covered'

JoeReese

I was expecting something entirely different when I read the subject of this thread. :p

I prefer One-Handed (weapons, of course!). I find that my timing sucks when I'm using Two-Handed weapons, and it's extremely counterproductive for me. Plus I like to be able to use Magic in my free hand on most of my characters, so Two-Handed prevents me from doing that.

You are baddd.

JoeReese

TUVM for being one of the few people to actually talk about the DAMAGE difference in 2h / 1h and not just the versatility of each rofl!

guess most people didnt get what the main point of this thread was about even with "what do you guys think about the damage output for 2 handed vs 1 handed?" as the first sentence :p

everyones talking about the versatility of a 1 hander, or perk skills in 2 handers, which is not at all what this thread was intended to be about lol.

but either way, thanks all for the comments

But how would we know, unless we create a new character and check out each weapon before the skill trees start to climb? I figure it's probably about even at the base, allowing for personal preference, but as soon as you start gaining points in your trees, your preferred weapon becomes the more efficient one. It won't be today, but soon I'll create a new character and try to get a 1h and 2h in Helgen, then see if I can tell the difference before my skill trees outgrow each other.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
í always use 1 handed, not sure about damage we need accurate times of how long a swing takes, i always thought one handed was 3 times as fast than a 2 handed weapon.

The man

The hilt is the crossguard which protects your fingers. If you're going for a penis analogy, you might want to use words that refer to parts that are anatomically correct. I believe the word you were looking for was Grip.
you are extremely talented at making me look like an idiot.

Uskyldig

Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die
I've never actually had a playthrough which specializes in 1h, but I've found once you get the timing right with 2h then you're swinging a lot less.

JoeReese

you are extremely talented at making me look like an idiot.

Don't sweat the balloon busters. I've found that a lot of people suffer from no sense of humor here.
BTW, I believe the cross guard, grip, and pommel all constitute the hilt.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Don't sweat the balloon busters. I've found that a lot of people suffer from no sense of humor here.
Yeah, pretty much.

anatomyofasword.jpg

But like you said, this isn't really something to sweat. More like an "eh" situation.

The man

excuse me? are you a torturer or something?....throwing salt on my fresh wound.
BTW i DO have a very good sense of humor thank you very much.

TomatoThief

what do you guys think about the damage output for 2 handed vs 1 handed?
and i know perks and skill levels come into play, if anyone's going to do a realistic number crunch lets just pretend your two handed and one handed skills are both level 100 and you have NO perks in either of them, and remember for weapons we are comparing like weapons. as in a 1 handed sword and a 2 handed sword, or a 1 handed axe and a 2 handed axe

Here is the lay formula for raw damage per hit:
(Base Damage + Smithing Increase)*(Skill Bonus)*(Perk Bonus)*(Item Bonus)

Smithing bonus ranges from +10 at 100 skill to 46 with all available smithing bonuses including perks, enchantments, and potions.

I charted out different scenarios in an Excel spreadsheet, with disheartening results. Apparently, if you're going to spray and pray, a dagger does the most raw damage over time. No power attacks, weapon reach, or special perks are considered. Note this is for single weapons... and you can have TWO.

Smithing 46
Skill 100
Perk 5
Item 0

Weapon Material Base Speed Displayed DOT
1H Sword Dragonbone 15 1 183 183
2H Sword Dragonbone 25 0.7 213 149.1
Dagger Dragonbone 12 1.3 174 226.2

Smithing is the gamebreaker. Since it is an additive bonus (instead of multiplicative) it adds far greater value to lower damage weapons, rendering base damage irrelevant. Indeed, if you had a 0 damage weapon, Smithing can add enough damage to make it a legendary dragonslayer. Thus the prime consideration for damage over time is weapon speed... whatever weapon can apply more smithing bonuses the fastest.

TT

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
If you are already perk committed to 2H, start going up the right side of the Block constellation.

When you sidestep 5 people off a bridge using your 2H sword (the fastest of the 2H choices) like the front bumper of train car sliding across ice and totaling 5 other vehicles, that'll wake ya up in the mornin'!

Your kill scene is either an impaling or a sideways slam of your weapon into a guys face repeatedly against a wall. Robazz calls that a Dental Appointment!

I call it "Verticle Curbstomp."