two handed or one handed?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

so what do YOU prefer?

• Two Handed Weapons

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • One Handed Weapons

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters

Zuma

what do you guys think about the damage output for 2 handed vs 1 handed?

EDIT: PLEASE note that this thread is MAINLY focused on the DAMAGE difference between 2 handed and 1 handed weapons, not how versatile they are or which you should use for a certain build. please read this post entirely before commenting since i have noticed some of these comments have nothing at all to do with the main point of the thread. thank you.

however, the poll is for which ever you prefer based on any/all reasons you might have

now, lets just pretend that 2 handers do exactly 2x more damage then its 1 hander counterpart and takes exactly twice as long to get the next swing in. with this logic they would be the same damage over time

example:
a 2 handed sword hits for 100 points every 2 seconds, and for a 30 second long battle that is 1500 total damage done, or 50 dps (damage per second)
(30 sec long battle / 2 seconds for each swing = 15 swings)
(100 damage x 15 swings = 1500 total damage)

a 1 handed sword hits for 50 points every second, in the same 30 second long battle that is also 1500 total damage, or 50 dps (damage per second)
(30 sec long battle / 1 second for each swing = 30 swings)
(50 damage x 30 swings = 1500 total damage)

now i know these are made up numbers and swing speeds, but its just a great way to express and explain my question. so what do you guys think? i would guess 2 handed damage is probably still better but it is really THAT much better or what?

and i know perks and skill levels come into play, if anyone's going to do a realistic number crunch lets just pretend your two handed and one handed skills are both level 100 and you have NO perks in either of them, and remember for weapons we are comparing like weapons. as in a 1 handed sword and a 2 handed sword, or a 1 handed axe and a 2 handed axe

Lordmacifer

I've just put so many perk points into my one handed that its much more damage than a two handed weapon. And I like using a sheild.

Zuma

I've just put so many perk points into my one handed that its much more damage than a two handed weapon. And I like using a sheild.

i also like the 1handed/shield build, but remember i asked what do you think is better damage per second with out perk points and the same skill levels ^_^ thanks for the response though

iZsoul

Depends on character , TA DA ! :D

Moris

2 handed weapons begin to really show their worth when you have the sweep perk and can hit multiple enemies with one attack.

kyleekay

I was expecting something entirely different when I read the subject of this thread. :p

I prefer One-Handed (weapons, of course!). I find that my timing sucks when I'm using Two-Handed weapons, and it's extremely counterproductive for me. Plus I like to be able to use Magic in my free hand on most of my characters, so Two-Handed prevents me from doing that.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
2 handers are great for the massive stagger and long reach but i prefer the faster attack speed of one handed which allows more versatality, you can have a shield, torch, 2nd weapon or a spell. also the faster attack speed makes enchanted effects better.

Moris

2 handers are great for the massive stagger and long reach but i prefer the faster attack speed of one handed which allows more versatality, you can have a shield, torch, 2nd weapon or a spell. also the faster attack speed makes enchanted effects better.

Ah, but being able to hit multiple targets (2 handed) with absorb health is pretty cool, too.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Two one handed weapons is more DPS than a 2H'er and maybe more damage taken, but the 2H weapon allows blocking and reach if that's important.

One handed weapons also allow a shield or a spell in the left hand.

The choice is entirely based on playstyle and what is most fun for you.

AS88

Staff member
I was expecting something entirely different when I read the subject of this thread. :p

I prefer One-Handed (weapons, of course!). I find that my timing sucks when I'm using Two-Handed weapons, and it's extremely counterproductive for me. Plus I like to be able to use Magic in my free hand on most of my characters, so Two-Handed prevents me from doing that.

I think I'm the only one here who realises you're not such a goody-two-shoes like everyone else thinks :p

I generally use a sword, or a dagger on sneaky characters. I find they're more adaptable as part of a build, and they're more versatile to use with a shield or spell.

There is something very satisfying about using a two-handed weapon though, especially the greatsword finisher where you lift the person up with the sword poking out their back, so badass :cowboy:

AS88

Staff member
Shhh! Don't ruin my secret. I can't have Stigweard Ruadhan thinking I'm not just a lil' ray of sunshine. :p

Haha, he doesn't know what I know. Tally-Wa has done some meaaaan things, and now you're a furry assassin (not a euphemism). You can't fool me!

jaredb

just realized i hit the wrong button when voting, because i don't like 2 handed weapons & really just want to dual wield blades of death until everything but me is dead!

Vaga8ond

I prefer two-hand as you can block and attack with it at the same time. However, for hybrid builds it's too impractical to use two-hands. I even tried to make a ranger build with it and it just uses too much precious energy to really make it more attractive than one-hand.

Zuma

Two one handed weapons is more DPS than a 2H'er and maybe more damage taken, but the 2H weapon allows blocking and reach if that's important.

One handed weapons also allow a shield or a spell in the left hand.

The choice is entirely based on playstyle and what is most fun for you.

TUVM for being one of the few people to actually talk about the DAMAGE difference in 2h / 1h and not just the versatility of each rofl!

guess most people didnt get what the main point of this thread was about even with "what do you guys think about the damage output for 2 handed vs 1 handed?" as the first sentence :p

everyones talking about the versatility of a 1 hander, or perk skills in 2 handers, which is not at all what this thread was intended to be about lol.

but either way, thanks all for the comments

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Assuming swing time is, indeed, exactly double than I think damage output is probably the same. However, if in reality two-handed swing time is 1.5X or something, then it would be different. I think the lack of concrete swing times is what's making this kind of impossible to answer.

The real difference is...two-handed is only two-handed while one-handed allows for dual wielding, a shield, or magic in the off hand.

I think if you get the swing times we can really discuss damage output. ;)

EDIT: Typos. :oops:

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
well if you put all those perks in 2h then the 2 h would be the one doing more damage haha, i guess for me it depends on the build.

Dallas-Arbiter

Normally I detest swords, but for my "Older Lady" character, I decided to go one handed, and No shield or spell, and sometimes no armor.